Everything you always wanted to know about Scottish Football but were too afraid to ask...

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Here's a chance for some of you more knowledgeable types to impart some Scottish Football trivia and wisdom on us all. There are some things that I have always just accepted about Scottish football and never really bothered to ask the meaning of, I'm sure many folk are the same so here is an opportunity to get some answers.

I'll kick the ball off with nicknames...

Why do the following teams have these particular nicknames?

* Falkirk: 'The Bairns'

* St Mirren: 'The Buddies'

* Dunfermline: 'The Pars'

* Celtic: 'The Bhoys'

One obscure one that I know is Dundee UTD: 'The Arabs' I am led to believe this is because of a period in time when they had such a poorly drained pitch, they had to cover it regularly in sand in order to make it playable.

Any answers or further questions from the panel?

:thumbsup:

Johanes de Silentio

Locals in Paisley refer to themselves as 'buddies' - 'Paisley buddies' - like 'Loons' are young men frae Forfar and that.

There must be more to it than that, though? :blink:

grumpy rebus

I believe it was workers at the shipyard up from Devon - Plymouth Argyle ____________ Supporters

joe.gausden

Here's a chance for some of you more knowledgeable types to impart some Scottish Football trivia and wisdom on us all. There are some things that I have always just accepted about Scottish football and never really bothered to ask the meaning of, I'm sure many folk are the same so here is an opportunity to get some answers.

I'll kick the ball off with nicknames...

Why do the following teams have these particular nicknames?

* Falkirk: 'The Bairns'

* St Mirren: 'The Buddies'

* Celtic: 'The Bhoys'

One obscure one that I know is Dundee UTD: 'The Arabs' I am led to believe this is because of a period in time when they had such a poorly drained pitch, they had to cover it regularly in sand in order to make it playable.

Any answers or further questions from the panel?

That#s still happening now Mothy :lol:

In the 60's Celtic's nickname was the Celts. I can't remember when they became more Irish and adopted Bhoys as their new nickname.

joe.gausden

the bhoys

The club's official nickname is The Bhoys, the spelling of which denotes an Irish pronunciation,[10] in reflection of the club's heritage. The club's first tangible bit of evidence for their nickname is a postcard from the earliest years of the 20th century, which refers to the Celtic team of the time as "the bould bhoys" (sic), while the team were already known as the "Bold Boys" soon after the club was founded.[11] The term "Boys" was used for most football teams of Glasgow at the time, most probably in reference to the local, sectarian, youth gangs prevalent in Glasgow at the time, the (Catholic, Irish) Timalloys [12] and the (Protestant, Loyalist) Billyboys

Must be wrong though as celtic are not sectarian, it's just a conspiracy by everyone else :lol:

Guest Bilel Mohsni

That#s still happening now Mothy :lol:

Had a similar thought! :D

Maybe they should be called 'The Mud-skippers' now though? :thumbsup:

Guest Bilel Mohsni

the bhoys

The club's official nickname is The Bhoys, the spelling of which denotes an Irish pronunciation,[10] in reflection of the club's heritage. The club's first tangible bit of evidence for their nickname is a postcard from the earliest years of the 20th century, which refers to the Celtic team of the time as "the bould bhoys" (sic), while the team were already known as the "Bold Boys" soon after the club was founded.[11] The term "Boys" was used for most football teams of Glasgow at the time, most probably in reference to the local, sectarian, youth gangs prevalent in Glasgow at the time, the (Catholic, Irish) Timalloys [12] and the (Protestant, Loyalist) Billyboys

Must be wrong though as celtic are not sectarian, it's just a conspiracy by everyone else :lol:

Cheers Joe. :thumbsup:

I'm sure I read somewhere that Pars is an abbreviation of paralytic...due to how much drink DAFC's early teams put away...Sure it's a myth though.

I'm not sure but I think Dundee utd's official knickname is actually 'The Terrors'. That's what I remember when growing up anyway, and I'm only 33.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

I'm not sure but I think Dundee utd's official knickname is actually 'The Terrors'. That's what I remember when growing up anyway, and I'm only 33.

I'm only 31 but I think (might be wrong) that 'The Terrors', is from 'The tangerine Terrors', in reference to their strip colour when they dropped the 'Dundee Hibernian' name and adopted another name and team colour.

i have contacted a dunfermline fan & falkirk fan by text message for details of their respective club nicknames.

i shall post the findings once mobile phone technology becomes accepted in these regions, and the two of them have evolved opposable thumbs in order to text back.

it seems falkirk's nickname is taken from the falkirk town motto of:

better meddle wi' the de'il than the bairns o' falkirk

apparently they chased away some vikings... although i don't know where that fits in.

Could anyone tell me why Kilmarnock are nicknamed Killie? Or why St Johnstone are The Saints?

Guest Bilel Mohsni

apparently they chased away some vikings... although i don't know where that fits in.

That's the sort of shit i wanted to find out. Cheers! :D

That's the sort of shit i wanted to find out. Cheers! :D

associating with falkirkers has borne fruit.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

associating with falkirkers has borne fruit.

I'm sure it has... Great big raspberry-like growths on one's bell-end is my guess? :ninja:

I'm sure it has... Great big raspberry-like growths on one's bell-end is my guess? :ninja:

:stare:

I'm only 31 but I think (might be wrong) that 'The Terrors', is from 'The tangerine Terrors', in reference to their strip colour when they dropped the 'Dundee Hibernian' name and adopted another name and team colour.

Dundee United played in a black and white strip when I was a lad, I think it was Jim McLean that changed the strip to the present one.

I was told that during a particularly good season many years ago a journalist once described Dunfermline as being "on a par" with Rangers and Celtic and it came from there

Tiberius Stinkfinger

Where you present at this event ?

Thought the Dundee United 'Arabs' tag was related to the white strip with black collar they used to wear. Sure I heard that once.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Thought the Dundee United 'Arabs' tag was related to the white strip with black collar they used to wear. Sure I heard that once.

Could well be, the reason I gave was one that I read once... somewhere... Could be shoite!... that's the point in the thread, let's get to the kylie_bum_223237a.jpg of some things!

Anyone got anything veering away from the nickname theme?

Johanes de Silentio

Could anyone tell me why Kilmarnock are nicknamed Killie? Or why St Johnstone are The Saints?

:lol:

****nose!

I'd sure like to ken why Clyde are nick-named 'The Bully Wee'?

I mean what the **** is that about? :blink:

You can add The Honest Men and The Doonhamers to the list of nicknames? Ain't got a clue what either of them are about? :)

Guest Bilel Mohsni

There's a few interesting theories about the Pars nickname here Mothy, but I've heard before that it's to do with Plymouth Argyle Rosyth Supporters, which is confirmed in the last quote :thumbsup:

http://www.dafc.net/index2?ID=49

Good snuffling around there John! :thumbsup:

The two that I liked most from that were...

"... Jamie A Miller submitted this - I was on holiday this weekend in a country lodge in Pitlochry. On the wall dating back to before the 1930`s was a map called "FIFE AE PARS OCCIDENNIAL" with the translation underneath "The West Part Of Fife" .

I thought it was Latin but I took it out the original frame (hope no one checks) and the writing on the back looked Dutch to me. I know a little Norwegian so it wasn`t that I think it was Dutch. It struck me as odd that the word Pars next to West Fife was there?? Maybe we were once known as Fife Pars occidennials team from West Fife??? What does anyone think? Could I have stumbled across something or does anyone know different??... "

and

"... Stephen (Fred) Forker submitted - I am the proud owner of "Simply The Best" Dunfermline Athletic Greats. The book wrote by John Lloyd , A Xmas present from Home. In there it gives several reasons for the name PARS being applied to the best team north of the border. The One the author seems to have plugged for one in particular. Apparently the sailors & ship workers from Plymouth who have visited Rosyth over the many years used to visit Eastend on their Weekends off. It would seem they used to display a Banner "Plymouth Argyle Rosyth Supporters" and maybe this is where we have picked up the name from... "

:D

You can add The Honest Men and The Doonhamers to the list of nicknames? Ain't got a clue what either of them are about? :)

Ayr is known as the honest toon.

I think it comes from a Burns poem but no idea which.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

I'm probably going to look really un-informed here but... Is Musselburgh not also known as the honest toon?

Like I said, could be well of the mark but... I think I read that somewhere... :blink:

Charlie-Brown

Are Motherwell still the Steelmen?

The Wasps for Alloa is fairly self explanatory given their team colours but why are Stenhousemuir The Warriors? perhaps they killed Cyrus?

torino calcio

I heard that it relates to an occasion when in order to get their pitch playable they brought in a large quantity of sand to spread on it.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

I heard that it relates to an occasion when in order to get their pitch playable they brought in a large quantity of sand to spread on it.

That's what I heard. :thumbsup:

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Are Motherwell still the Steelmen?

The Wasps for Alloa is fairly self explanatory given their team colours but why are Stenhousemuir The Warriors? perhaps they killed Cyrus?

Motherwell used to be a major steel-production town.

Stenny? nae idea!! :blink:

Jeez are there really people on here who don't know the words to Tam O'Shanter:

Auld Ayr whaur no a toon surpasses,

For Honest Men and bonnie lassies...

As for the Arabs, that was started as an insult by Dundee supporters and it stuck. Same true of Jambos I believe, which was a hobo play on Jam Tarts and Rambo movies ...

Tam o' Shanter

Auld Ayr wham ne'er a toon surpasses

For honest men and bonie lasses.

Charlie-Brown

Motherwell used to be a major steel-production town.

Stenny? nae idea!! :blink:

I just wondered if Motherwell had dropped the Steelmen now that Ravenscraig is long gone?

As for the Arabs, that was started as an insult by Dundee supporters and it stuck. Same true of Jambos I believe, which was a hobo play on Jam Tarts and Rambo movies ...

2 of the best things ever...where's the insult?

Guest Bilel Mohsni

I just wondered if Motherwell had dropped the Steelmen now that Ravenscraig is long gone?

TOUCHE!

MargaretThatcher.jpg

Guest Bilel Mohsni

ANYONE GOT ANYTHING OUTSIDE THE WHOLE NICKNAME FIELD?

Loving the knowledge and craic already offered up but...

I reckon there is more good trivia and even more good questions not asked or answered!

Charlie-Brown

ANYONE GOT ANYTHING OUTSIDE THE WHOLE NICKNAME FIELD?

Loving the knowledge and craic already offered up but...

I reckon there is more good trivia and even more good questions not asked or answered!

Abdul Salim played for Celtic in bare feet, he was an indian player and didn't wear boots so he put bandages on his feet instead. Manxjamtart used to have an old football book with a photograph of this!!! :)

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Abdul Salim played for Celtic in bare feet, he was an indian player and didn't wear boots so he put bandages on his feet instead. Manxjamtart used to have an old football book with a photograph of this!!! :)

AWESOME!

That's the shizzle CB! :thumbsup:

people in dumfries often had jobs in edinburgh or glasgow and went doon hame for the weekend. Hence that one.

Falkirks bairns chased out the english using sticks and stones when the men were away at battle.

On a more continental note Milan were formed by an englishman and were originally a football and cricket team. Hence Milan and not Milano. Mussolini gave them the added AC for Association Calcio to make them sound more italian. Inter or Internationale are their rivals. They are not Inter Milan as ITV or Sky keep calling them. No such team exists. Its like calling an edinburgh club Heart of Hibernian.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

people in dumfries often had jobs in edinburgh or glasgow and went doon hame for the weekend. Hence that one.

Falkirks bairns chased out the english using sticks and stones when the men were away at battle.

On a more continental note Milan were formed by an englishman and were originally a football and cricket team. Hence Milan and not Milano. Mussolini gave them the added AC for Association Calcio to make them sound more italian. Inter or Internationale are their rivals. They are not Inter Milan as ITV or Sky keep calling them. No such team exists. Its like calling an edinburgh club Heart of Hibernian.

Superb, that's the sort of stuff I wanted to learn. :woot:

Charlie-Brown

Brother Walfrid created Celtic to help the relatively poor immigrant irish community, they used to collect money to help the poor and orphans in a biscuit tin!

Guest Bilel Mohsni

I always thought that the St George's Cross in their flags etc was down to some crusader stuff where the Christian cross had some meaning for that part of Italy... Is it actually to do with the bit you mention in red? (Again, I know feck all about this but putting 2 and 2 together and all that!) :thumbsup:

Robbie Neilson has the longest throw in Scottish football history managing to throw the ball the length of the pitch. When asked about it former Hearts player Scott Severin stated "Me and Robbie were just goin to the shops for some swagers when a wee Ned wi his mates wis callin us rockets an tha so Robbie launched his 2 litre bottle of ginger and managed tae doof it aff his dome!" :thumbsup:

Archived