Was The McLeish Report & It's Conclusions a Stitch Up?

Charlie-Brown

Charlie-Brown

I've been wondering just how influential fellow senior Labour Politicians John Reid & Henry McLeish were in the conclusions of the McLeish Reports and even the selection of McLeish in the first place?

1. Who promoted McLeish as a suitable candidate for the report?

2. Isn't it remarkable that a Labour Politician advocates a greater role for Government in the both the Funding of Football & the Provision of Grass-roots and Indoor facilites? Nothing about the amount of money Scottish football generates and how they could choose to invest a proportion of that in their own future instead of big transfer fees & wages for players.

3. Whilst an overhaul of SFA procedures & archaic organisation is fairly self evident is the congratulations of Celtic's John Reid rather ironic that McLeish's report is essentially the written word for Celtic's viewpoint & opinion of the SFA?

http://sport.scotsman.com/football/John-Reid-says-Celtic-39congratulate39.6664828.jp

4. Also isn't it remarkable that McLeish reached exactly the same conclusions as the SPL steering committee that includes Celtic & Rangers, about the need for 2 league of 10, about the need to help our teams in europe, an earlier season start and a winter break (enabling not only free weeks during the season to allow for bad weather but to help the Old Firm prepare for European games oh and also time for lucrative overseas friendly matches wtf!!!!!) Zero criticism of the undue power and influence the Old Firm hold, the undemocratic and lop-sided voting structure of the SPL with the need for 11-1 & soon 9-1 majorities enabling the Old Firm to block whatever they don't fancy contrast that with heaping plenty criticism of wrongs in the SFA and it's voting structure but none apparent in the SPL? Also zero criticism of the unfair distribution of wealth both between the Old Firm and the rest of the SPL and between the SPL and the SFL .... nothing about that or how the Old Firm and SPL clubs should promote the common good ..... it seems Henry thinks the SPL is just tickety-boo as long as they change to the (hated) 10 team format.

In short was the conclusions of Henry McLeish genuinely his own or was it a stitch up and he is simply the mouthpiece parroting the conclusions the likes of John Reid, Peter Lawwell, Ralph Topping, Neil Doncaster, Stewart Milne & Rod Petrie want him to present?

Charlie-Brown

So because you disagree with some of its findings it is a stitch up?

Consider this article from the time of Mcleish was first appointed in 2009 - already it talks of disbanding the SFL and the SPL taking some of it's clubs as exactly is being proposed now - yet this was before McLeish had even chaired one meeting or taken up his post.

In short were the ultimate conclusions already decided in advance? - and if so who is pulling who the strings?

EDIT - article linked http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/feb/28/scottish-premier-league-henry-mcleish

jamboinglasgow

Consider this article from the time of Mcleish was first appointed in 2009 - already it talks of disbanding the SFL and the SPL taking some of it's clubs as exactly is being proposed now - yet this was before McLeish had even chaired one meeting or taken up his post.

In short were the ultimate conclusions already decided in advance? - and if so who is pulling who the strings?

EDIT - article linked http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/feb/28/scottish-premier-league-henry-mcleish

no, he was looking at options that were already being spoken and looking at them, there is nothing wrong with that. In his report he talks about looking at other plans as well, such as the 14 team league (note people seem to forget that he points to a 14 team league as much as the 10 team league.)

Your thread worries me and is exactly what I thought would happen. There is a lot of sense in the McLeish report, but because your hell bent against 10 team league (rightly or wrongly) your trying to destroy anyone who suggests it might have any benefit, problem is that trying to destroy the report means that the important it does suggest are destroyed as well.

Charlie-Brown

no, he was looking at options that were already being spoken and looking at them, there is nothing wrong with that. In his report he talks about looking at other plans as well, such as the 14 team league (note people seem to forget that he points to a 14 team league as much as the 10 team league.)

Your thread worries me and is exactly what I thought would happen. There is a lot of sense in the McLeish report, but because your hell bent against 10 team league (rightly or wrongly) your trying to destroy anyone who suggests it might have any benefit, problem is that trying to destroy the report means that the important it does suggest are destroyed as well.

Lots of the McLeish reports are self evident and nothing more than plain & simple commonsense - what I find disturbing is the almost exact alingment with the views of the SPL steering committee and their proposals which is fair enough if that was genuinely and undisputably the only way forward but it's not - it also echoes some strange statements about providing opportunites for lucrative friendlies etc - come on how does that benefit anybody except 2 clubs - it seems to me that McLeish is promoting essentially an SPL/Celtic&Rangers centric inspired agenda - I find it remarkable that he can be (justifiably) scathing in his criticism and condemnation in his fault finding with the SFA but ZERO CRITICISM of the SPL and some of it's structures - don't you find that at least a bit odd or curious?

ToadKiller Dog

The return to a 10 team top tier was something Peter Lawell at Celtic had proposed a couple of seasons ago and the MacLeish report in terms of reconstruction ideas is very similar to the what i recall that Lawell put forward in his interview .

Charlie-Brown

Everyone knows the answer Charlie.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/scotland/9407874.stm

It appears this topic was already discussed in depth on pie & bovril with the majority of posters reaching the same conclusion we've been sold a dummy.

http://www.pieandbovril.com/forum/index.php/topic/137190-henry-mcleish-slates-the-sfa/

McLeish and his fish tank is the same as the previous one in the 90s led by Ernie Walker.

In a few years time, there will be another one, maybe this time led by Alex Salmon, Charlie Reid and Susie Sweet from Balamorie.

Archived