Memories of 98

Lt.Speirs

Toxteth O'Grady

goosebumps watching that!! i was only ten then, but i remember it well!! great weekend

It was the best day ever IMO

Just watched all the videos on you tube !! there is 10 of them starting in the morning and going all the way through back to edinburgh on the bus!! they are actual lads

I was outside the first pub bus stopped at. Chesser inn on Gorgie Road. We were all in the pub singing, someone come in said bus was coming, pub emptied.. When it went further along went back in eerie feeling as drinks just lying everywhere and no one in.. The the dj put on ADAMski... Great weekend.. never to be forgotten..

Up there with one of the happiest days of my life. I never thought I would ever see it happen after so many years and so many heartaches but that one day blew so many nightmares away every single second of the day will always be treasured.

The fact we won it a second time within my living memory (and I was born in 1957) will always remain as one of the special moments in my life.

The valentine card from Hearts which had the words 'From your one true love' is not far from the truth.

Couldn't get a ticket, 2 young kids and skint all the time, but after the cup was presented the Good Lady gave me ?30. Down to The Fiddlers and a couple of pints. Got a taxi down to Robbo's finished off the Newcastle Brown,one in each inside pocket of my Levi's jacket, and stood at the Tynecastle Arms waiting for my heroes to return. Saw some lassie streak and the next thing I'm waking up with a banging headache on the Sunday. Bought every paper, for the greatest result in my life, and to find out if I'd made an erse of myself. If I did it couldn't have been that bad.

The Good Lady filled me in on the details of me coming home, handing her ?35, it took me ages to squirrel that away, and as she left me to make me a cuppa and sandwich, while I watched the highlights, only to find me about to pish on the back of the telly.

I then had to bribe the kids with a McDonald's so I could get down to Prince's St and see the parade.

I only ever blackout after drinking Rusty Nails so I must have had that at The Tynecastle while I waited.

The bits I do remember seem like yesterday and I've not had a Rusty Nail since.

jambo22inarow

one of the greatest days of my life i remember before the game all the hearts fans basically took over rutherglen high st for a massive sing song and pre match piss up before heading to darkhied to see history be made !!! :D :D :D

Tears streaming watching this, pure elation something we all dreamt about , so many near misses in the years previous, boy let's hope there is more to come !!!!!

Owe my memories in Glasgow to my brother, cheers mate.

Remember the train coming back was subdued, a mixture of being drained, shock, sore throats.

Then we spy Murrayfield and reality hits home the train erupts as we pass Tynie.

Then ran all the way along Dalry and up to the Gillsland to meet my brother, mum, dad and assorted others, never seen a room of happier people in my life, what a day what a night.

Was working at Dirty Dicks the next morning :-( walking along shandwick place still beaming when I happen to spot a certain Mr Jim Jefferies out for an early morning stroll, with what I guessed was his folks, thanked him went on my way beaming more.

Now my son was born on a Saturday so i'd be pained to say what was the best weekend of my life, 98 was the most enjoyable though!!!

I'd been at he StJohnstone game the week? before, found out I had a ticket for the game when I checked my bank statement in Blackpool on the Thursday where I was working and seen the money had come out for a ticket.

Saturday, bought my first ever Hearts top, took my 6 year old daughter to Ballet class at St Brides in the morning, dropped her off afterwards at her friends in Stewart Terrace, then off to Hampden.

Parked in London Road, lot of folk wearing blue scarves about !

Heart wrenching 90 minutes of football, thought we'd make them angry scoring so early.

Saw team lift cup and raced out of the ground, polis wouldn't let me into London Road with Hearts colours on. Ran around the back of the flats to get to London Road and my car.

Right into a massive Rangers support, they were superb, well done, and go and celebrate from them all.

Phoned mate and arranged for him and family to meet at my house in Ardmillan.

Picked up daughter at Stewart Terrace, driving along Gorgie, horn blaring all the way, just before it was closed to traffic.

My Daughter and my friends 10 year old daughter ended up atop the sub station at the bridge just after McLeod street to see the tea bus come in.

9.15ish, first pint of the day in the Diggers, mate, his father in law and me. My pals daughter is now a season ticket holder, mine has played football since she was 10 and does so at Uni in Newcastle, still gets up for quite a few games though.

Sunday in Gorgie with my daughter and her pal and dad to see the team once again, prior to her going back to her mother and me then celebrating.

Great vid, great memories, definite high light of supporting the Hearts.

PS. On the Sunday, Gary Locke was in the Sample Room, my mates oldest daughter worked behind the bar. Young lass was telling me to get my Hearts top signed by GL, I said I'm to old for that. She took the top off me and went and got it signed. Jo, mates daughter, was not best pleased seeing her dads pal topless in the bar, he he. I wore the top again in 2006.

jt

The feeling when the final whistle went will never leave me, completely overwhelmed with emotion to the point my knees buckled! lol

Unable to get a ticket and did the next best thing. Travelled down from Aberdeen and headed towards the Tynie Arms. A nervous atmosphere but also one as if everyone knew something was in the air that day. Could do without those last 10 minutes plus the 20,000 more of injury-time. One bloke completely lost it at Willie Young and put his face right in front of the telly shouting that he blow the whistle..... and then he did. Every emotion bottled up since our previous trophy win beforehand came flooding out from all and sundry.

Strangely enough, I didn't get drunk. Only had about three pints and the adrenaline alone had me on cloud nine.

Craig Herbertson

I was in Manchester and couldn't go to the game. Had to watch it on telly with some English pals from Manchester. As soon as it was over and I had vaguely calmed down I got my coat on. They thought I was mad. I felt like a lemming. No choice but to get back to Gorgie. I drove back in my ?50 car, the exhaust fell off near the borders, kept going. I banged into the back of a BMW in Tolcross. Unluckily it was an unmarked police car up from London. I had to wait for the local bobbies. The officer asked me what had happened. I explained that I was in a bit of a rush to catch the celebrations and my foot slipped. Unfortunately he was a Hibs fan but thankfully there was so much going on he didn't notice the lack of exhaust or even book me. Managed to get to Gorgie just as the bus was coming in. The rest was just a vague blur of mindless excitement.

In most of our lifetimes as Hearts supporters, '98 will never be surpassed, 30+ years of winning nothing. As good as it was, I hope none of our present support has to go through that heartache to achieve that high.

JJ, the league might do it :whistling:

jt

My two young sons and i were at the corner (top tier)of the jungle end and at the final whistle i remember thinking i was in a dream, everything seemed to slow down, I looked at the guy next to me and the tears were streaming down his face as were they down mine, coming home on the stenhousemuir supporters bus one of the lads suggested a stop off at a well known hun pub in the area with thier own supporters bus, brilliant .

That day brought mixed emotions for me. We had just lost mum to the big c just days before. A women who'd drive dad, myself and my brothers to Tynie every other week. The same person who mistakenly confused Albert Kidd for Zico and the very same person who put up with us all, emotions in all following the famous' fortunes and as was the case back then misfortunes.

I remember the scenes in Gorgie when we got back from Hampden - fantastic. Nobody can hold a street party like the Gorgie Boys. The night bus going home to Livi was a laff, I was completely trolleyed. I remember taking the p1ss out of 2 rankers fans when they got on the bus. And remember somehow, being invited to a Selick fans party.

The scenes the following day at the cup parade. I can remember 2 coppers help this jambo put up a flag on the railway bridge.

Only the JTs can hold a street party like that.

I remember playing footie with about 30 of us in that we park at Muireston Road just off Gorgie Road. (A game where I had just not too long recovered from a serious fracture of the lower leg and this flabby bar steward (no offence if it was you) and his mate completely took my leggs away from me.

What a great weekend.

Back at work (Safeway) on the Tuesday (I was off the Monday fortunately) I shook the hand of Neil McCann and chatted for 5 minutes. Cant rememeber what was said (I was just in awe of him)

The only thing is now in my lifetime, whenever we win the cup the scenes will never match those of '98 (even 2006 wasn't quite the same).

At least I can say unlike the entire Hobo following - I have seen Hearts win the Big Cup (twice now and hopefully more in the future).

Well done Hearts :thumbsup:

For good reason '98 will remain special. I don't remember the disappointment of '65. In '86 I was physically sick at the result, with no alcohol involved.

When you look at the Rangers team we were up against, it was very special. WE WON THE CUP !!!!

jt

Carnival de Paris.

Intense sunshine.

Looking forward to the World Cup.

Celtic fans hanging out of their windows on London Road cheering and waving at the Hearts fans.

Relegation to the Hiiiiiii-beeeeees!

Being blazing drunk that night in the garage on Sauchiehall St and them playing Carnival de Paris and the realisation that we'd beaten the Huns and won the cup.

Incredibly emotional day.

Meeting my mates in the Vale at Queen St station beforeand and my mate Kev the Ayr United fan insisting that we stay for one more "lucky pint".

Putting ?4 on Cameron first goalscorer, 2-1 Hearts at the William Hill on Queen St.

Hugging complete strangers and the tears of grown men in the stand.

The amount of injury time played and Kev continuously saying "don't worry mate, you've won, it's in the bag" even though I was sure that McCoist or Durrant would score and we'd end up losing in injury time or penalties.

Amoruso's free-kicks.

I remember standing in the Wheatsheaf beer garden about 9am thinking i've totally underestimated this weather as i stood sweating my nadgers off in long sleeved Ralph Lauren shirt.

A day that will only be topped, and maybe not even then, when the league flag comes home.

One last one, the eternity the ball seemed to take from Goram getting a touch on Adam's strike until it finally hitting the back of the net.

A day that will only be topped, and maybe not even then, when the league flag comes home.

Have to agree with you. So heres hoping. If Vlad gave JJ a mill to spend then I'm sure the legend will win us the league - but cant see that happening, still one can only hope. :thumbsup:

Archived