New York City Bars

Father Tiresias

Father Tiresias

Heading to NYC on Thursday for a couple of nights with a bunch of guys. To all you Jambo's in NYC, please can you recommend some good bars for us.

Jimmie's Corner on 44th Street between 7th & Broadway is just about the cheapest place for a beer near Time Square. Jimmy was Muhammad Ali's corner man so there is plenty of cool boxing memorabilia in the bar.

we're going NEXT thursday

bummer!

we could have had a whisky & irn bru on the eve of the tartan day parade in the st andrews bar (not far off times sq)

Heading to NYC on Thursday for a couple of nights with a bunch of guys. To all you Jambo's in NYC, please can you recommend some good bars for us.

If you're anywhere near Times Sq , take a short walk towards the Carnegie Hall/W 80th Street. There's a Hooters bar in the 'hood. :P

Father Tiresias

bummer!

we could have had a whisky & irn bru on the eve of the tartan day parade in the st andrews bar (not far off times sq)

This one??

Angry Haggis

bummer!

Nice one Bev, did you get a good deal? Always fancied NYC - starting to price it up..not sure where to start?

thats the very one!

we were there 2 years ago, tartan week again funny enough, and the night before the parade we popped in and listened to a band from the borders playing scottish trad songs & a bit of more contemporary stuff too.

then we found this other bar about 4 doors down which was a real locals bar and was $10 for a round of 4 drinks as opposed to $20 next door

angry haggis, there are some really good deals around if you have the time to scout them.

my sister did a fair bit of groundwork then called up the travel advisor with the RBS cos we have platinum accounts there, and they then cut us a deal.

this trip for the week, all taxes, accommodation etc for ?850.

best one was a few years ago though where it was little over ?500 for 4 days & 3 nights.

its a great city and i love it!

Only a Game
If you're anywhere near Times Sq , take a short walk towards the Carnegie Hall/W 80th Street. There's a Hooters bar in the 'hood. :P

Dunno if there is one on 80th Street but there IS one on W56th. Was in it last week. Bit disappointing to be honest.

Much better IMO is the "Peculier Pub" on Bleeker St. Its a bit like a beer museum. If your a beer man you'll love it. Got hunners to chose from and prices not too bad either. Really good beers at the top of the alcohol range for about ?3.50. Bit studenty at times but not a bad boozer to start off a night out at.

Also try the Havana restaurant just off Time Square. Not a pub as such but great food and a fantastic looking wee Cuban hostess.

Oh and make sure you visit the Apple store at 5th and 59th if your in the market for a new Ipod. They are about 30-40% cheaper there than here.

Hey chizzy, How long you there, when do you fly back?

Hogs and Heiffers in pretty wild.

Crazy biker bar where the bar maids strip and give the customers abuse and are usually so drunk they can barely stand.

I like it.

Franks Place or Night Of The Living Cookers just of Fulton at Oxford in Brooklyn.

Franks for patter and good prices, Cookers for great cocktails.

Only a Game
Nice one Bev, did you get a good deal? Always fancied NYC - starting to price it up..not sure where to start?

Try Zoom airlines for a good starting point. About the cheapest Ive found for return flights but you have to go from Gatwick.

My next choice would be getting to Ireland (Shannon or Dublin) and flying from there

Rabbie_Burns

Take a cab and head for Bleeker St, plenty of pubs, clubs & restaurants there...

then we found this other bar about 4 doors down which was a real locals bar and was $10 for a round of 4 drinks as opposed to $20 next door

If I remember correctly, and I usually don?t (gotta love google)

its a dive / sports bar the owner was a boxer?

If it the one I am thinking about, could be....

Jimmy's Corner

140 W. 44th St.

New York, NY 10036

Nelly Terraces

another thing, where's the coolest places/areas for buying some decent clobber, i.e. 'indie' type gear, and also record shops?

cheers!

Guest casper

I was in a few good bars last week.

There were lots of ?visitors? there from Thailand, Vietnam, Malaysia, Philippines???..;)

another thing, where's the coolest places/areas for buying some decent clobber, i.e. 'indie' type gear, and also record shops?

cheers!

There's cool clothes and record shops in the village and soho areas. I'm not sure what indie type gear is though.

The area around washington square park (it's the park in kids where casper half kills the guy by beating him over the head with his skateboard) was pretty cool. There were tons of second hand vinyl shops about there.

Nelly Terraces
There's cool clothes and record shops in the village and soho areas. I'm not sure what indie type gear is though.

The area around washington square park (it's the park in kids where casper half kills the guy by beating him over the head with his skateboard) was pretty cool. There were tons of second hand vinyl shops about there.

Thanks. I shall make my way to said areas to peruse their clothing and vinyl emporia.

Cheers.

nelly, you strike me as an abercrombie & fitch type :P

spot on mark, thats the one. loved that wee boxers bar & the russian one

top stuff

top stuff

oh, my brain is working over time now.

what to do and see in a weeks time.. whoo hooo!!! :)

cheers!

I've got a few pieces from a New York label called Engineered Garments.

Lovely stuff, the quality of finishing is second to none.

It's not cheap and I can only find one stockist in the UK. They might have a store in New York?

Having seen you around i reckon it might be up your street

Nelly Terraces

top stuff

By far the biggest misrepresentation and most hurtful comment ever to be aimed at me on this forum EVER.:sad: Shame on you lady.:cheerful:

A&F clobber seems to be worn by middle management suburban rover drivers who think it social acceptable to wear their sweaters round their shouders when they take them off (see all; Chinos - wearers of) whereas I am the very embodiment of metrosexual louche street indie cool. Actually, only today I bought a 2nd hand jacket in Save the Children in Dalry Rd -nifty 60s style number - ?15. Result.

Cheers.

N(Y)T

I've got a few pieces from a New York label called Engineered Garments.

Lovely stuff, the quality of finishing is second to none.

It's not cheap and I can only find one stockist in the UK. They might have a store in New York?

Having seen you around i reckon it might be up your street

Cheers Pabs, never heard of that gear, sounds interesting, and I'll always take on board any tip from a man who has nouse to have THE MAN, Mr Friday, as his avatar (a clear sign of taste there mate) I'll keep an eye out for that, and add to the book of things to do/look out for in NYC and life in general.

In what part of Manhattan are you staying? And what kind of bars do you usually go to?

cheers!

There's pleny of places to pick up that kind of gear, but try St. Marks (a/k/a 8th street) between second and third ave. There's a decent concentration of shops that would probably work for you.

As for record shops, are you looking for exclusively-vinyl places? My fave indie store, which has some vinyl, is Other Music, at Lafayette (fourth ave) and fourth street.

Nelly Terraces
In what part of Manhattan are you staying? And what kind of bars do you usually go to?

Watcha NYC. I'm over in October as well. Kind of bars I like are more down to earth sort of places, or sort of decent studenty type bars with good music, or real ale pubs. Hope I'm not being too vague. I don't like 'style' bars (where all the people have zero style in my past experience of exposure to these places), or anywhere too plasticy or neon. A decent rock bar would be my sort of place, not too much a dive, but with a bit of character and a good jukebox. Doesnt have to eactly fit the bill, but got anywhere you can think of?

Also, if you can recommend one really good upmarket joint I'd be grateful, got to have cocktails at least once if yer in NYC no?

Cheers.

N(Y)T.

Archived