Scotland's contribution to English Fitba

i8hibsh

A lot is quite rightly said about the contribution that the French, Dutch and Spanish etc have made to the modern English game, both at managerial and player perspective

But I?ve been thinking recently that back in the ?day? it really was the Scots that contributed so much.

What is now (very arguably) the greatest league in Europe, come the world, we as a nation can take great pride in what we contributed (not much to be proud of in today?s game in Scotland).

So I thought we could make a list club by club.

I?ll start:

Man United

Fergie

Law

Modern day ? Fletcher is appreciated by all.

Many Man United ?fans? debate that Law was their ?all time great. Thay ALL say SAF is their best manager.

Liverpool

Where do we even begin with this one??.

Dalglish

Hanson

Sounness

Shankley - was basically their creator

And in the modern era Gary Mcallister ? he was an integral part of Houillliers quadruple team.

Leeds United

Bremner - they even have a statue of him outside the ground

Everton

Moyes has been there 8 years and although his coat is on a shoogly peg he has done a remarkable job

Graeme sharpe

Andy Gray

Spurs

Dave McKay

Their best ever play many say

Nottingham Forrest

John Robertson (the fat one) was highly influencial in their dominance in Europein the late 70's 1980

I?ll leave the rest down for debate.

Who else?

pretty sure that`s it i8. it`s as comprehensive a list as you will find anywhere.

Bob Wilson at Arsenal

Asa Hartford and McAvennie at Wesht Aaaaaaaaam

Charlie 'er um' Nicholas at Arsenal

George Burley and John Wark

Ipswich Town, helped them to the uefa cup.

You missed out Joe Jordan for leeds as well mate.

totally forgot about Ipswich Town actually

good shout Rents

George Burley and John Wark

Ipswich Town, helped them to the uefa cup.

You missed out Joe Jordan for leeds as well mate.

Jordan at Man U too

Arsenal:

Alec James. Possibly the best footballer in the world at the time.

Bob Wilson :whistling:

Ian Ure(?)

George Graham

Everton:

Alec Young!!

Chelsea:

Tommy Walker

Eammon Bannon

Tommy Docherty

Also Liverpool - Ian "you kill me Greavesie" St John

Arsenal:

Alec James. Possibly the best footballer in the world at the time.

Bob Wilson :whistling:

Ian Ure(?)

George Graham

Everton:

Alec Young!!

Chelsea:

Tommy Walker

Eammon Bannon

Tommy Docherty

Also Liverpool - Ian "you kill me Greavesie" St John

George Graham is a good shout

Man Utd (other "stalwarts")

Martin Buchan was a great centre half in a sometimes dodgy Utd team (70's)

Lou Macari, Paddy Crerand

Ralph Milne :whistling:

Jim Leighton :rolleyes:

Chelsea:

Tommy Walker

Eammon Bannon

Tommy Docherty

Boris

How could you forget Pat Nevin ? B)

Is this just anyone who played for a Premier league side (regularly) or is it people who could be classed as cult heroes/icons/legends by their respective English clubs?

Guest Bilel Mohsni

A lot is quite rightly said about the contribution that the French, Dutch and Spanish etc have made to the modern English game, both at managerial and player perspective

But I?ve been thinking recently that back in the ?day? it really was the Scots that contributed so much.

What is now (very arguably) the greatest league in Europe, come the world, we as a nation can take great pride in what we contributed (not much to be proud of in today?s game in Scotland).

So I thought we could make a list club by club.

I?ll start:

Man United

Fergie

Law

Modern day ? Fletcher is appreciated by all.

Many Man United ?fans? debate that Law was their ?all time great. Thay ALL say SAF is their best manager.

Liverpool

Where do we even begin with this one??.

Dalglish

Hanson

Sounness

Shankley - was basically their creator

And in the modern era Gary Mcallister ? he was an integral part of Houillliers quadruple team.

Leeds United

Bremner - they even have a statue of him outside the ground

Everton

Moyes has been there 8 years and although his coat is on a shoogly peg he has done a remarkable job

Graeme sharpe

Andy Gray

Spurs

Dave McKay

Their best ever play many say

Nottingham Forrest

John Robertson (the fat one) was highly influencial in their dominance in Europein the late 70's 1980

I?ll leave the rest down for debate.

Who else?

I suspect it might be because when they say "English Football" in such circumstances, they really mean "British Football"... they maybe think that as we are British that we are included under the umbrella of "English Football" anyway and therefor are not worth mentioning as opposed to the very different traditional styles of countries like Spain and France or continents like Africa.

I think it is only pretty recently that our footballing style has been regarded as different to that on display down in the higher levels in England... In other words, it has in the modern era, become poorer thanks to smaller crowds at most clubs and less media money than down there and this has effected the way that we play the game in order to try and get a victory... Formations and style can be easily put aside for what is more effective : The scrappy, kick and rush game with strong and physical guys being deemed more effective than smaller and technicaly better ones.

Might be wrong though and if I am right... Well it is a wee bit sad actually. :down:

Is this just anyone who played for a Premier league side (regularly) or is it people who could be classed as cult heroes/icons/legends by their respective English clubs?

I think Scots who have influenced the English game

Robbo is our God but to the previous post he should never be on this list in a zillion years

leeds united as a big club was built with scots from them comming to prominence in the 60's till now

bobby collins

billy bremner

eddie gray

peter lorimer

david harvey

gordon mcqueen

joe jordan

david stewart

frank gray

arthur graham

gordon strachan

gary mcallister

dominic matteo

before the 60's they were a low yoyo team

Ralph milne at Man Utd obviously.

In all seriousness, the impact of Scots at pretty much every major club in England has been huge. In addition to the names mentioned so far

Aston Villa were founded by a scotsman and had a heavy Scottish influence in their early years when they were the most successful side in England (Scottish manager for 6 league titles and 6 FA Cups). Their founder, William McGregor, also formed the English league. Their EC winning team in 1981 also included 4 scots (3 starters, 1 on the bench)

Nottm Forest's 2 EC winning teams had 5 scots in the squad.

Leeds's most successful ever squad included half a dozen Scots.

pre-Shankly, Billy Liddell was probably Liverpool's most famous ever player.

Arsenal's double winning side of the early 70's had 4 Scots in it.

Tottenham's greatest ever team not only had Dave Mackay, but John White and Billy Brown as key members.

there are many others, but pre Sky, there was barely a successful club in England without a huge Scots influence.

Ralph milne at Man Utd obviously.

In all seriousness, the impact of Scots at pretty much every major club in England has been huge. In addition to the names mentioned so far

Aston Villa were founded by a scotsman and had a heavy Scottish influence in their early years when they were the most successful side in England (Scottish manager for 6 league titles and 6 FA Cups). Their founder, William McGregor, also formed the English league. Their EC winning team in 1981 also included 4 scots (3 starters, 1 on the bench)

Nottm Forest's 2 EC winning teams had 5 scots in the squad.

Leeds's most successful ever squad included half a dozen Scots.

pre-Shankly, Billy Liddell was probably Liverpool's most famous ever player.

Arsenal's double winning side of the early 70's had 4 Scots in it.

Tottenham's greatest ever team not only had Dave Mackay, but John White and Billy Brown as key members.

there are many others, but pre Sky, there was barely a successful club in England without a huge Scots influence.

Pretty sure Millwall were formed by Scottish dock workers, or something along those lines.

Not on the field, but honourable mention to Mr. Deadline day. :thumbsup:

136700d1251910625-ssn-better-than-qvc-hyping-nothing-jim-white.jpg

Do you ever remember him saying 'on the decks man, I like that' after a freestylers track was played underneath some highlights? Must have been 2002/3. Matt Lorenzo was in pieces.

Pretty sure Millwall were formed by Scottish dock workers, or something along those lines.

aye, but we should probably keep quiet about that :whistling:

Some of Europe's biggest clubs have Scots to thank for their formation.

Do you ever remember him saying 'on the decks man, I like that' after a freestylers track was played underneath some highlights? Must have been 2002/3. Matt Lorenzo was in pieces.

:lol:

Na, don't remember that. I just love it when it's on the deadline and Jim has his mobile out chatting to folk finding out what's going down. The lad's connected. :thumbsup:

Boris

How could you forget Pat Nevin ? B)

tbf, Nevin was loved by Chelski fans. he was a tremendous player back in the day, pity he's such a fud.

Charlie Cooke was a huge fans favourite at the Bridge as well.

The People's Chimp

Superb.

I believe that Preston North End were founded by a group of Scottish coal miners

We laugh but P.N.E used to be the best team in the land and were one of the founding member of the football league,.

They have had 13 Scottish Managers in their history and many Scottish players.

Not big shakes now but they were a highly influential football club in world football let alone English football.

Could of big ones that have been missed:

Alex James

Arsenal legend from Herbert Chapman's dominating side of the 1930's.

Alex Young

Won titles with both Hearts and Everton.

Just skimmed through the first page - any mention of Gordon McQueen at united?

Colin Hendry at Blackburn?

Nick Ross arguably the greatest influence of all.

Are you suggesting Liverpool's influence waned when Crimewatch came on the telly?

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Are you suggesting Liverpool's influence waned when Crimewatch came on the telly?

He helped lock up all the scousers who had been getting away with it for years... decimated their squad. :ermm:

I believe that Preston North End were founded by a group of Scottish coal miners

We laugh but P.N.E used to be the best team in the land and were one of the founding member of the football league,.

They have had 13 Scottish Managers in their history and many Scottish players.

Not big shakes now but they were a highly influential football club in world football let alone English football.

You believe well. The early Preston team were known as the Scotch Professors as they had 11 Scots in their team and were easily the best in England at their time. The modern game was taught to the English by teams of Scots. So our main contribution is inventing the game. The reason the FA is not the EFA is that McGregor of Villa was desperate for Scottish teams to join, so didn't want the word English used.

And then joined City, and back heeled Utd into the 2nd division :P

proves he was professional

Looked like his heart had been ripped out after doing it - has integrity and humility

proves he was professional

Looked like his heart had been ripped out after doing it - has integrity and humility

Still funny though !

Not our John Robertson mate, this yin

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Robertson_(footballer_born_1953)

Think I8 was 'aving a pop at me for suggesting our JR was a major influence during his time at NUFC :D

The Forest JR defo' was a considerable influence on English fitba, (along with John McGovern and Kenny Burns) :thumbsup:

Archived