What did Scott Parker say in the dressing room? And why didn't Avram Grant say it?

Flankengott

Carlton Cole was interviewed saying how fantastically inspirational Scott Parker was at half time against West Brom. Just wondering what words of wisdom he spoke and what the manager was doing while Scott Parker was making his speech.

its not uncommon for the captain to try and rouse the troops. in fact its part of his duties.

i'm not trying to defend grant, but it doesnt seem to be his job to gee the players up. certainly not judging by his demeanour.

it's been widely reported that AG is working as hard as he can to keep West Ham up. The board recognise this and feel he is making progress. People are always going on about the lack of passion he has but, for me, sometimes the emptiest vessel makes the loudest noise.

Yea i imagine Elvis did a lot of that as captain, no matter who or how competent the manager was at the time. As long as the manager is a tactician then he can lean on his staffand captain to motivate.

its not uncommon for the captain to try and rouse the troops. in fact its part of his duties.

i'm not trying to defend grant, but it doesnt seem to be his job to gee the players up. certainly not judging by his demeanour.

I would think Grant is more than happy for someone else to assume oratorial duties. He probably finds these situations difficult at the best of times as his English is very poor indeed. It's funny how some managers never improve their English at all after years over here. Vogts and Laszlo spring to mind in this context. Others such as Zola and Houllier end up a lot more eloquent than those they're in charge of - and those that are interviewing them.

I would think Grant is more than happy for someone else to assume oratorial duties. He probably finds these situations difficult at the best of times as his English is very poor indeed. It's funny how some managers never improve their English at all after years over here. Vogts and Laszlo spring to mind in this context. Others such as Zola and Houllier end up a lot more eloquent than those they're in charge of - and those that are interviewing them.

TBF, houllier studied english and also worked as a school teacher in england before becoming a manager, but your point is quite right. Some folk thrive in a new language, others dont.

_48392272_johnston.jpg

'Jimma pell allan'

I'm sure it goes against the grain for some on here but is it remotely possible that Avram Grant is actually quite popular

with his players and that Scott Parker took an opportunity (when AG wasn't there)to remind them all that if they didn't get the finger out it might cost AG his job?

Many have commented on why did Parker do it and not Grant. To be honest, i'd be expecting my captain to be giving some sort of team talk. He is the captain after all and for me thats part of his job.

Archived