Niall Quinn's Slams Pub Fans

Napoleon  Wilson

If the Sky court case thing comes to a head then it will be trouble for a lot of Prem clubs. I would welcome this in an instant as it may help the SPL.

Setanta only went bust because of buying Prem rights - the word is they had a working model and could pay their SPL deal with no hassles. We're stuck in a "take it or leave it" deal just now, but if the Value of the Prem goes down then there "could be" spare money from Sky or ESPN that would be leveraged during negotiations to increase TV income up here.

Based on that I also firmly believe this is the reason that the SPL TV idea is being investigated again. It could likely raise more income that the current deal.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is the point not in relation to the illegal broadcasting of 3pm kick offs? The law was put in place to protect clubs from losing income for when their games were not being shown live on tv.

These streams showing Sunderland games at 3pm on a Saturday in the pub are keeping fans who normally would've gone away from the game. This is one of the reasons I think that although losing any SPL deal in the short term would be a disaster, long term clubs would benefit if there was no tv coverage of Scottish football.

Is the point not in relation to the illegal broadcasting of 3pm kick offs? The law was put in place to protect clubs from losing income for when their games were not being shown live on tv.

Think there's a number of factors - The main one being that Sky have a retail tariff for households and a commercial tariff (for pubs etc) that cost a fortune. By chosing a foreign TV provider at significant discount or on a free to air channel it takes away a massive revenue stream from Sky.

Think there's a number of factors - The main one being that Sky have a retail tariff for households and a commercial tariff (for pubs etc) that cost a fortune. By chosing a foreign TV provider at significant discount or on a free to air channel it takes away a massive revenue stream from Sky.

Yes I understand this but Sky have signed an agreement that they can't broadcast the 3pm games so the problem is not with people watching Sky games, its watching these streams that broadcast the 3pm games illegally. Is this not what NQ has the problem with?

I'm all for breaking the hold Sky has over the other broadcasters but not if the others flout the agreement not to broadcast the 3pm games.

I'd imagine that numbers would drop at Tynecastle if, on a freezing cold, wet, blustery afternoon against St Mirren, the option to stay in the pub and watch the game in warm surroundings with your mates and a couple of beers would be attractive to even the most passionate Hearts fans.

Charlie-Brown

Yes I understand this but Sky have signed an agreement that they can't broadcast the 3pm games so the problem is not with people watching Sky games, its watching these streams that broadcast the 3pm games illegally. Is this not what NQ has the problem with?

I'm all for breaking the hold Sky has over the other broadcasters but not if the others flout the agreement not to broadcast the 3pm games.

I'd imagine that numbers would drop at Tynecastle if, on a freezing cold, wet, blustery afternoon against St Mirren, the option to stay in the pub and watch the game in warm surroundings with your mates and a couple of beers would be attractive to even the most passionate Hearts fans.

These channels are not broadcasting them illegally though they are broadcasting their signals completely legally - people need additional kit to receive the signals though and just because sky-italia or polsat or turkish channels can now be received and subscribed to by UK customers doesn't make it illegel because Sky signed a non-3pm agreement.

Legally the EU is a common and free market so TV companies nor football leagues can discriminate or make exclusive deals on a national basis as this is excluding fair EU competition and harms consumers - this is what the recent court case established. The Premier League and others will have to re-think how they negotiate TV deals in futre as they will not be able to sell them to individual countries with exclusivity nor will pan-european deals be allowed unless they allowed several broadcasters the rights and allow them to compete for customers - anything different would be in breach competition and monopoly regulations.

These channels are not broadcasting them illegally though they are broadcasting their signals completely legally - people need additional kit to receive the signals though and just because sky-italia or polsat or turkish channels can now be received and subscribed to by UK customers doesn't make it illegel because Sky signed a non-3pm agreement.

Legally the EU is a common and free market so TV companies nor football leagues can discriminate or make exclusive deals on a national basis as this is excluding fair EU competition and harms consumers - this is what the recent court case established. The Premier League and others will have to re-think how they negotiate TV deals in futre as they will not be able to sell them to individual countries with exclusivity nor will pan-european deals be allowed unless they allowed several broadcasters the rights and allow them to compete for customers - anything different would be in breach competition and monopoly regulations.

Ok that's fair enough, I wasn't sure exactly the legalities of it. I think that in this case Niall Quinn is right to bring this up as an issue. Broadcasting live games at 3pm on a Saturday will cripple smaller clubs who already find it hard enough as it is to attract new, local fans.

Having said that, I also think that clubs should be creative with their pricing, surely selling double the tickets at just over half the price (to accomodate extra stewarding etc) is a better model.

Archived