Matthew Park

jamboinglasgow

Thanks Merse; was at a Newcastle game do not think it was this season but, they were poor and nowt to boast about. The friendly was against Musselburgh Juniors and the legends would probably not lose 7-0 against them.

The Hamilton game i read described on here as a fluke result, well i watched it and it was no fluke, there players were far more skilful than ours for sure.

don't talk rubbish.

As already pointed out:

Novikovas, Ridgers, Thomson

plus:

Dylan and Ryan McGowan have represented Australia at U-20

then it is worth considering a good few of our players are 22-23 and have progressed on to their national teams full squads.

Throw in Ogleby scoring for Wales U21

jamboinglasgow

Thanks Merse; was at a Newcastle game do not think it was this season but, they were poor and nowt to boast about. The friendly was against Musselburgh Juniors and the legends would probably not lose 7-0 against them.

The Hamilton game i read described on here as a fluke result, well i watched it and it was no fluke, there players were far more skilful than ours for sure.

We have played Newcastle two seasons in a row.

It was a fluke in terms of Hamilton hit top form in that match, every shot they had went in, while we barely even got into first gear any shot we took refused to go in. Yes Hamilton were more skillful ON THE DAY. Yes I may big up some of the players a bit much at times, but I do genuinely believe we have talented youngsters in that team. Have you got any praise for the under 19s or do you think they should all be scrapped.

jamboinglasgow

He does have a point though. Maybe not about the number of players in the u21's but how sentimental some seem to be over our young players.

We do keep too many of them on for far too long, when they clearly aren't going to make it.

IMO.

JJ has made mention of that since he has taken over. I think from now on the contracts handed out will be shorter and to less numbers.

Never heard so much baloney "the ball refused to go in".

Like i said they were more skillful and it was a red face for Hearts that day, but not as bad as Musselburgh Juniors.

Another painful lesson not yet learned is the number of under 19s we signed and dispensed with on loan Brad Mackay, Dale O'Hara etc. a scandalous situation and a waste of time and money which we do not have.

Charlie-Brown

Never heard so much baloney "the ball refused to go in".

Like i said they were more skillful and it was a red face for Hearts that day, but not as bad as Musselburgh Juniors.

Another painful lesson not yet learned is the number of under 19s we signed and dispensed with on loan Brad Mackay, Dale O'Hara etc. a scandalous situation and a waste of time and money which we do not have.

"Jambosr1985" aka "prancer" you've never liked Hearts youth system for some reason - however your last paragraph is just utter nonsense - these kids are mostly all trainees in their first professional year earning a relative pittance in wages, they are out on loan as it is the 2nd & 3rd year trainees that mostly play in the U19 team. When they become too old the younger kids out on loan will come back and take their place.

mahgrassyshoes

Just to add to the youth reports, I've got a mate who's a St Johnstone supporter and he's not been too impressed with Novikovas. Feels he's too lightweight and his head goes down too quickly so he falls out of games very easily.

Must admit, after the Aberdeen, St Mirren and Hibs games I was happy with him being in against St Johnstone in the SC, but his head was down after about 20 minutes because a couple of runs didn't come of for him. Could be a very good player, if we can toughen him up a bit.

Hearts of Vladland
Just to add to the youth reports, I've got a mate who's a St Johnstone supporter and he's not been too impressed with Novikovas. Feels he's too lightweight and his head goes down too quickly so he falls out of games very easily.

Must admit, after the Aberdeen, St Mirren and Hibs games I was happy with him being in against St Johnstone in the SC, but his head was down after about 20 minutes because a couple of runs didn't come of for him. Could be a very good player, if we can toughen him up a bit.

He based that on a half game were Novi was injured half way through that half, well done that man. :blink:

"When they become too old the younger kids out on loan will come back and take their place"

Well what then happens to the ones who become too old for the 19s are you still wanting them to be given a run out in the first team, i think you will find that if they were thought of as being good enough they should have/would have been retained, still you never know, the experienced gained with Tynecastle Boys Club Coldstream etc should stand them in good stead-not.

Popint being we have too many players as alluded to by JJ, how did this happen and has it set this lot back, in my opinion it has ie quantity rather than quality and must not be allowed to happen again-thus a ruthless clear out is required and maybe one or two of them will be gems but hey ho thats the chance you take.

jamboinglasgow

He based that on a half game were Novi was injured half way through that half, well done that man. :blink:

Was thinking the same. Read the comments on the saints forum and they thought he did ok in it. Add to that he only just joined his new team when he played, a better game to judge.

Charlie-Brown

"When they become too old the younger kids out on loan will come back and take their place"

Well what then happens to the ones who become too old for the 19s are you still wanting them to be given a run out in the first team, i think you will find that if they were thought of as being good enough they should have/would have been retained, still you never know, the experienced gained with Tynecastle Boys Club Coldstream etc should stand them in good stead-not.

Popint being we have too many players as alluded to by JJ, how did this happen and has it set this lot back, in my opinion it has ie quantity rather than quality and must not be allowed to happen again-thus a ruthless clear out is required and maybe one or two of them will be gems but hey ho thats the chance you take.

So basically you are saying that John Murray and Darren Murray don't know how to do their jobs and don't know which youth players deserve contracts and those who don't? And from your comments you think this applies not only to those becoming too old for the U19's but also those being awarded trainee contracts when leaving school as we have more U19 players than we can play.

mahgrassyshoes

Was thinking the same. Read the comments on the saints forum and they thought he did ok in it. Add to that he only just joined his new team when he played, a better game to judge.

Knew he came off after 45 mins, but didn't realise he had been injured. Was just passing on what the guy said, which is obviously too early to have made that judgement.

If it looks like a 'prancer' and posts like a 'prancer' then to my mind chances are ....... or maybe you're just a brother or cousin. ;)

Question is how does someone who joined Sep 2009 know too much about Prancer, especially seeing as he was Rawrrrrrr towards the end too

Forthview Jambo

Not Like JKB to wander off topic into petty arguements !

Pity the original poster wasnt aware of what used to be visible from the Hearts website ...

"Sadly, in December 2009, Matthew required surgery on a serious cruciate injury sustained in a bounce game against Kilmarnock at Riccarton and is working his way back to fitness."

Actually I thought he was very impressive in the friendly at New Bayview particularly in the second half when he played more left midfield/wingback.

Pip , pip old beans !

Park and D McGowan start tonight for east fife.

Ryan McGowan starts for partick too, ridgers starts for airdrie, smith and brown both start for stirling and mulrooney starts for clyde with danny thomson on the bench. A few results to look out for :thumbsup:

jamboinglasgow

Park and D McGowan start tonight for east fife.

Ryan McGowan starts for partick too, ridgers starts for airdrie, smith and brown both start for stirling and mulrooney starts for clyde with danny thomson on the bench. A few results to look out for :thumbsup:

Balatoni is on the bench for Partick as well. Interesting to see Danny and Paul at Clyde, presume it is a trial but it would be good to see them move there even if it is third division as they need game time.

Balatoni is on the bench for Partick as well. Interesting to see Danny and Paul at Clyde, presume it is a trial but it would be good to see them move there even if it is third division as they need game time.

Theyre on loan I think. Nothing on the hearts web but there was something on the clyde page if u want to check it out. Good for them to get a game though.

kennyblack'sshot

SPL

Arvydas Novikovas - St Johnstone

First Division

Conrad Balatoni - Partick Thistle

Johnny Stewart - Dundee

Johnny Brown - Stirling Albion

Gordon Smith - Stirling Albion

Second Division

Mark Ridgers - Airdrie United

Dylan McGowan - East Fife

Dean Lyness - East Fife

Matthew Park - East Fife

From what i gather only Smith and Ary have a definite future at Hearts and as previously discussed the rest of the over 19s not on loan can all go, better out in the open than this kidding on that Hearts are the business at developing youngsters, the fact Hibs have four in under 21s and we have only the one is a worrying stat.

You're joking right? There's no kidding on about it. Here are players Hearts have developed, either after signing them at 16/17/18 or at a younger age, during the last five years:

Full internationals:

Gordon

Webster

Berra

Neilson

Johnsson

Wallace

Novi

Youth and U21 internationals:

Driver (would bet on him playing for Scotland)

Templeton (would bet on him playing for Scotland)

Thomson (would bet on him getting in a Scotland squad)

Ridgers (from what I've heard, I would bet on him playing for Scotland)

MacDonald

Elliot

Robinson

Glen

Park

McGowen

Visconte

Smith

Ogleby

Probably others I've missed...

Going back further - Johnston, Robbo, Mackay, Bowman, Levein, Ritchie, Naysmith, MacLaren

I would go so far as saying that our record of developing young players into full internationals is second to none in Scotland in recent years. Other clubs do it in patches, eg Hibs, Motherwell and Aberdeen but we do it consistently. We also have a very good record of picking up guys like Tosh McKinlay, Neil McCann, Davie Weir, Colin Cameron, etc in their early 20s and helping them realise their potential.

The People's Chimp

I would say that Novi is too lightweight; the criticisms of him above could have been applied to him each of his seasons with hearts.

CornhillHearts

Theyre on loan I think. Nothing on the hearts web but there was something on the clyde page if u want to check it out. Good for them to get a game though.

They are on loan. It's at the bottom of the McGowan to Thistle article on Hearts Official Site.

They are on loan. It's at the bottom of the McGowan to Thistle article on Hearts Official Site.

Ah cheers. Must of missed that.

jamboinglasgow

Ah cheers. Must of missed that.

they must have added it later on in the day as when I first read that article around mid-day I did not see any of that info.

Very interesting anyway must speak to the club historian Mr Speed and get some stats for printing on here, alot of those quoted we did not develop however as they were bought from other clubs.

i am only noting the number of Under 19s and above whom are still signed and stopping others from getting on.

Training must be interesting when the weather is bad, first team inside in hall, 40 under 19s and others surplus to requirements running about the stairways.

Snake Plissken

Very interesting anyway must speak to the club historian Mr Speed and get some stats for printing on here, alot of those quoted we did not develop however as they were bought from other clubs.

i am only noting the number of Under 19s and above whom are still signed and stopping others from getting on.

Training must be interesting when the weather is bad, first team inside in hall, 40 under 19s and others surplus to requirements running about the stairways.

Ah, that old chestnut.

By that criteria, Hearts didn't develop anyone.

Willie Bauld? 'fraid he came from Newtongrange Star, as did Alex Young.

John Robertson? Salvesen Boys Club

Christophe Berra? Edina Hibs

Andy Driver? Hutchinson Vale

I could go on and on and on but I think I've made my point.

This thread is mental.

If you look at any group of youth players, at any club, the full out rate is massive. If we get 2 genuine first team players + 2 squad players from any age group then we've done very well.

Currently we have Robinson ('92), C.Thompson ('91), Glen, Ridgers ('90), Temps ('89), Mole, Jonsson('88), Wallace, Driver ('87) who have all featured in the first team squads over the last few season and who i think will be given more opportunities in the future. With all these loan players looking at next few seasons to fill a few spaces in the squad.

We can't expect every player to make an immediate impact.

The large squad we have had over the last few years has also gone against some of the younger players but I think after this summer, when we lose around 4-5 senior players (I'm sure most of these guys will be let go when their contracts allow - Balogh, Kucharsk, Bouzid, Obua, Mole, Elliot - most won't really be missed) the youth players will fill the gaps and be given a proper opportunity.

The good thing is you could probably have 10-15 youth players on the books taking the same money we used to pay Nade.

This thread is mental.

If you look at any group of youth players, at any club, the full out rate is massive. If we get 2 genuine first team players + 2 squad players from any age group then we've done very well.

Currently we have Robinson ('92), C.Thompson ('91), Glen, Ridgers ('90), Temps ('89), Mole, Jonsson('88), Wallace, Driver ('87) who have all featured in the first team squads over the last few season and who i think will be given more opportunities in the future. With all these loan players looking at next few seasons to fill a few spaces in the squad.

We can't expect every player to make an immediate impact.

The large squad we have had over the last few years has also gone against some of the younger players but I think after this summer, when we lose around 4-5 senior players (I'm sure most of these guys will be let go when their contracts allow - Balogh, Kucharsk, Bouzid, Obua, Mole, Elliot - most won't really be missed) the youth players will fill the gaps and be given a proper opportunity.

The good thing is you could probably have 10-15 youth players on the books taking the same money we used to pay Nade.

To be fair, it's not so much the thread that's mental, as opposed to one poster, who seems to like the attention.

Not at all its like you cannot state an alternative view on this site without being criticised.

Hearts are top heavy with under 19s and players out on loan when most of them are not going to make it at Hearts-fact.

I do not comment on the other youth sides as have no info, but as regards the Under 19s rather than listen to what jig/ff/cb are saying i am only putting it out there that alls not so rosey as they would have you think at that level.

There are too many players who are in their early 20s who are still at us despite not playing (Park, Mulrooney, Stewart and a few more) but I don't see how there are too many under 19s?

Charlie-Brown

Not at all its like you cannot state an alternative view on this site without being criticised.

Hearts are top heavy with under 19s and players out on loan when most of them are not going to make it at Hearts-fact.

I do not comment on the other youth sides as have no info, but as regards the Under 19s rather than listen to what jig/ff/cb are saying i am only putting it out there that alls not so rosey as they would have you think at that level.

prancer in any age group only the very best are going to make it but you still need at least 11 to form a team plus a substitutes bench plus younger players to gradually replace those going overage - your claims about being top-heavy & inefficiecient in relation to the U19's who are the youngest & lowest earning players on the wage bill are frankly ridiculous

"prancer" it has always been your determination to criticise hearts youth teams & players, your latest focus is 1 or 2 bad results by the U19 this season despite otherwise positive results, lots of goals scored and a high league position with only Rangers & Celtic above them. Here are the SPL U19 results this season - let people decide for themselves.

http://www.scotprem.com/content/default.asp?page=s41

There are too many players who are in their early 20s who are still at us despite not playing (Park, Mulrooney, Stewart and a few more) but I don't see how there are too many under 19s?

the players you mention have possibly been victims of our success this season.(it could come the end of the season help them though). I imagine if we were closer to the pack but in a stable position we might have seen more from some of them. But with the success we have had this season (cups excluded) so far, changing a winning team would have been wrong.

depending on what happens from now until the split, some of them might get opportunities come the end of the season. That is only if we are clear in 3rd and have no chance of 2nd (i know we sort of have that now).

Possibly a wee bit harsh. If the boys aren't good enough then why would you bleed them into a team which has done well?

Ok there is an argument for why they are still at the club but maybe they see something in them.

Don't know if true but my mate in work who is a Southampton fan told me that boy they have who is being looked at by the gunners, man city etc was actually on Portsmouths books. When they hit financial trouble they got rid off pretty much all the youngsters with Southampton getting him for nowt.

Some things never change, my son used to play for Swindon Town in the Youth Set up. Theo Walcott left to Southampton for next to nothing as Swindon were in financial trouble

jamboinglasgow

You can state an alternative view as long as you allow others to counter your point with views. Then you can counter those and so on.

As for the top heavy U19s, I find this an odd view. I count 22 players in our under 19 (who dont qualify for U17.) That sounds a lot but to put that into perspective, a quick look shows Motherwell have 17, St Mirren have 18, Rangers have 31 (though I imagine a few of those will be U17), Celtic have 21. Now we do have 9 players who are in their final year, of which 6 are in our best XI. The next year (players born in 1993) number 13, of which 5 are in our best XI this season. Of all the ones who have not gone away on loan I have seen everyone get a game, either starting or coming off the bench. And this also includes three Under 17s (Hamilton, King and Patterson.) Even two of the players who went away on loan (Tobin and Kane) had an appearance before they left and I know that Kane came off the bench against Hibs in the cup.

Of course quite a few will never make it at Hearts, it would be naive to think all would. But you make it sound like it is just a simple case of casting out these players now and all will be rosy.

Of course you can ask questions and criticise the academy and the under 19s. But your making me out as part of some conspiracy trying to hide things from the kickback masses. I do have my views on what needs improving, I do think we have still not sorted out the transistion stage between Under 19s and first team, that we have players who were given long contracts who didn't deserve at least a long contract. I do think you are being unfair on FF as imo he is very honest about most players in both their faults and their good points, and is honest when the under 19s play badly.

Yeah, but your posting merits criticism. That's why you get criticised.

For example:

The majority of under 19s at every club will not make it to the first team. That's the nature of youth development. If you get one or two decent players a year, you are doing pretty well. Hearts have managed this consistently over a number of years, as was pointed out earlier in the thread.

I'll give you that we have too many over-19s, and those who are not close to the first team should be moved on, but I think JJ knows this, and will do the necessary as and when he can. Some of the loan players do have a future, and others have an opportunity to show what they can do, in order to persuade JJ that they can do a job for Hearts.

Posting things like Hearts can take no credit for players they picked up from others at a very young age, and then brought through to the first team makes you look either moronic or deliberately negative. You really think that Hearts had nothing to do with a player like Temps developing into someone who can cause SPL teams huge problems, because he started off at Stenhousemuir. It's things like that which make me think that you are just looking for attention, rather than trying to have a serious discussion here.

Park has been told he can leave. He's treading water until the Summer. Never really seen what the big deal was with him. He never stood out for me in the games I watched him in. So wasn't anywhere near the first team in my opinion.

Fair post Socrates, not trying to come across as negative, to me the temps scenario is a better way to go than toploading at Under 19s.

Charlie-Brown

Fair post Socrates, not trying to come across as negative, to me the temps scenario is a better way to go than toploading at Under 19s.

But Hearts have been taking U19 & youth players from other Scottish clubs - Husband came from Cowdenbeath, Colin & Jack Hamilton came from Stenny just like Temps, Jordan Morton came from Clyde, Gordon Smith from Livi, McHattie from Dunfy, Fairley from Celtic, Prychynenko from Germany/Ukraine, Ogleby from Coventry, ... and iam sure there will be others as well.

A major problem, not just Hearts, in Scotland is promising players have nowhere to go after 19s. I agree some haven't done enough but previous managers I dont think did enough. I feel hearts have some great players with a huge chance of making it if given a chance

"But Hearts have been taking U19 & youth players from other Scottish clubs - Husband came from Cowdenbeath, Colin & Jack Hamilton came from Stenny just like Temps, Jordan Morton came from Clyde, Gordon Smith from Livi, McHattie from Dunfy, Fairley from Celtic, Prychynenko from Germany/Ukraine, Ogleby from Coventry, ... and iam sure there will be others as well".

Very informative peanut, however you know fine i am meaning the current abundance of Under 19s at Hearts, i have further stats at my disposal, acquired from Mr Speed should you wish to discuss further. You have forgotten about Wagner from Hibs, i was at Penicuik when he got his leg broken, he never recovered from that.

Charlie-Brown

"But Hearts have been taking U19 & youth players from other Scottish clubs - Husband came from Cowdenbeath, Colin & Jack Hamilton came from Stenny just like Temps, Jordan Morton came from Clyde, Gordon Smith from Livi, McHattie from Dunfy, Fairley from Celtic, Prychynenko from Germany/Ukraine, Ogleby from Coventry, ... and iam sure there will be others as well".

Very informative peanut, however you know fine i am meaning the current abundance of Under 19s at Hearts, i have further stats at my disposal, acquired from Mr Speed should you wish to discuss further. You have forgotten about Wagner from Hibs, i was at Penicuik when he got his leg broken, he never recovered from that.

I really don't know what you are talking about? as far as I know we've got about 5 or 6 kids away at East Coast junior & senior teams on loan - from memory O'Hara, Christie, Tobin, Kane, Brad( forgotten his surname?) any others? these kids are all about 17 years old - what is the problem you perceive?

Anyone who judges a player based in their performances for Csaba, when being played out of position is onto a loser imo.

Scott Robinson is a good wee player and I think we'll see more of him next season. Hopefully with the likes of Gordon Smith as well.

Archived