Youth team players that didn't make it

Smack

I'm sure it's come up before and I could easily just google it, but where are these players now?

Craig Sives (thought he was going to be good), Hjalmar, Kostadinov, Jamie Mole :whistling:

I hope other folk can think of more!

I'm sure it's come up before and I could easily just google it, but where are these players now?

Craig Sives (thought he was going to be good), Hjalmar, Kostadinov, Jamie Mole :whistling:

I hope other folk can think of more!

Sives-Shamrock Rovers

Hjalmar-Iceland

Kostadinov-Barcelona

Mole-Hearts...until the summer when he is released

Rapnik and Copil were meant to make it big too. Will be interesting to see if those two and Kostadinov ever make it.

tartofmidlothian

According to the ever-unreliable Wikipedia:

Craig Sives - Shamrock Rovers

Hjalmar Thorarinsson - Fram Reykjavik

Branimir Kostadinov - Chernomorets Burgas (in the Bulgarian top division)

Matej Rapnik - NK Interblock (Slovenia - he's captain at 20!)

Dumitru Copil - either Gloria Arad, UTA Arad or FC Bihor (all Romania)

Here's another one:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denis_McLaughlin

Charlie-Brown

mark cowan and ross mackenzie are at spartans as is davie cowan former U17's youth coach, shaun kelly is at st patricks dublin, danny galbraith is at hibernian :) g.murray, simmons and g.weir all at raith rovers so is hobbit goalie andy mcneil, derek holmes at queen of the south, john armstrong at cowdenbeath, stephen husband at blackpool on loan at stockport, johnny taylor, matt doherty and sean mackle all playing back in n.ireland premier league i think? rocky viconte back at brisbane. roddy mckenzie was a livingston not sure if he still there or not? sloan and janzyck at east fife and brechin, mark mccusker at clyde.

Darren Goldie. Once billed as the next big thing, and even got to hit the button in the National Lottery show.

Darren Goldie. Once billed as the next big thing, and even got to hit the button in the National Lottery show.

Things were never the same for him after he set Dale Winton's balls off.

There was athread like this a few weeks ago and i mentioned Kenny Milne. He`ll be in his 30`s now i`d imagine but back in 1998 he looked the dogs.

I always remember going to the youth cup final in the midweek before the Cup Final v Rangers (think it was Rangers in the youth final too?) and he was head and shoulders above everyone on the pitch. Graceful on the ball and physically looked much further on.

But it just goes to show its all about being able to make that jump, cope with the expectation and harder climate of the first team.

He never seemed convincing and really struggled to find his feet. You can always says its a real shame when you see a talented youth player who doesn`t make it but in the end they just don`t have it.

Charlie-Brown

There was athread like this a few weeks ago and i mentioned Kenny Milne. He`ll be in his 30`s now i`d imagine but back in 1998 he looked the dogs.

I always remember going to the youth cup final in the midweek before the Cup Final v Rangers (think it was Rangers in the youth final too?) and he was head and shoulders above everyone on the pitch. Graceful on the ball and physically looked much further on.

But it just goes to show its all about being able to make that jump, cope with the expectation and harder climate of the first team.

He never seemed convincing and really struggled to find his feet. You can always says its a real shame when you see a talented youth player who doesn`t make it but in the end they just don`t have it.

Kenny Milne got a bad ankle break about 1999-2000 and was never as lean, fit or fast afterwards - he came back a heavier and more cumbersome looking player - he went from being a pacey left winger & striker to becoming a more defensive left-sided midfielder eventually becoming a full-back and centre half for teams like Partick, Falkirk & Scunny - he was forced to retire last summer after persistant injuries he couldn't shake off.

Kenny Milne got a bad ankle break about 1999-2000 and was never as lean, fit or fast afterwards - he came back a heavier and more cumbersome looking player - he went from being a pacey left winger & striker to becoming a more defensive left-sided midfielder eventually becoming a full-back and centre half for teams like Partick, Falkirk & Scunny - he was forced to retire last summer after persistant injuries he couldn't shake off.

I do remember that now. I suppose the seriousness of an injury can have a big effect on a player`s career.

Snake Plissken

mark cowan and ross mackenzie are at spartans as is davie cowan former U17's youth coach, shaun kelly is at st patricks dublin, danny galbraith is at hibernian :) g.murray, simmons and g.weir all at raith rovers so is hobbit goalie andy mcneil, derek holmes at queen of the south, john armstrong at cowdenbeath, stephen husband at blackpool on loan at stockport, johnny taylor, matt doherty and sean mackle all playing back in n.ireland premier league i think? rocky viconte back at brisbane. roddy mckenzie was a livingston not sure if he still there or not? sloan and janzyck at east fife and brechin, mark mccusker at clyde.

He's now at Queen of the South, got injured before the start of the season and has yet to make an appearance for them.

Napoleon  Wilson

Did anyone ever see Branimir Kostadinov play for the reserves? I heard a lot of good things about him too.

I do remember that now. I suppose the seriousness of an injury can have a big effect on a player`s career.

I have to admit that when a player is out injured, I'm the worst for thinking "FFS man up and get on with it" but like you say, it can really affect their whole playing career.

Footballfirst

Eddie Mearns ended up at Bonnyrigg via Dundee and Berwick

Ryan Wallace was recently dumped by Airdrie

Alan "Flasher" Lithgow is still at Clyde

jambos are go!

Stephen Simmons and Kevin Thomas stand out for me in recent times. Eric Carruthers if you go further back. All made the first team but did not kick on. To be fair Thomas picked up a terrible injury after looking a ready made replacement for the outstanding Sandy Clark. How Simmons is in the first Division after persuading such a hard task master as Levein that he was a potential Scotland Captain is truly bewildering. Carruthers probably flattered.

One of the names that sprung to mind straight away.

Jambof3tornado

Eddie Mearns ended up at Bonnyrigg via Dundee and Berwick

Ryan Wallace was recently dumped by Airdrie

Alan "Flasher" Lithgow is still at Clyde

Always hoped Eddie would make it,tenacious fella!

tartofmidlothian

Mind how we all had Scott Severin tipped as a potential star?

Then he wound up at Aberdeen. Shame.

tartofmidlothian

Myles Hogarth, now playing for Camelon Juniors via Airdrie, Hamilton, Falkirk and more. His Wikipedia page says "he still lives with his mother at the grand old age of 35", apparently.

Colonel Kurtz

Tommy Harrison ??? came on as a sub against St Johnstone I think and was subbed after about 20 minutes...he was rotten :thumbsup:

Tommy is at Gracemount Leisure Centre

Colonel Kurtz

matty is playing for Musselburgh

Stupid Sexy Flanders

What ever happened to Paul McMullan? Young left-back who came in after we sold Gary Naysmith? I remember he scored an absolute raker against Killie once.

Charlie-Brown

Tommy Harrison ??? came on as a sub against St Johnstone I think and was subbed after about 20 minutes...he was rotten :thumbsup:

That was his last appearance - however that was 2-3 years after he should have been playing, Tommy along with Allan Johnston, Kevin Thomas, Anthony Smith (later of Dundee Utd & Airdrie) and Padraig Moran all should have seen first team action when Joe Jordan was manager but were left kicking their heels in the reserves (the won the reserve league under Sandy Clark) as Jordan preferred rank rotten senior pros like Ally Mauchlen & others .... the result was the kids development stagnanted & they didn't kick on - it was only when Sandy Clark became manager that they got some first team action but as the team got sucked into relegation fights under Clark then Mclean the youngsters again got frozen out and it was only when Jefferies became manager that they got a proper run in the team but by then it was already too late for some.

Robbie Neilson now at Leicester City reserves .... wants to return north apparently.

hmmmmmmmm

:ermm:

Could do a job for us? etc etc......

Scottish International. I think he plays for some provincial club on a mountain top now. :whistling:

Different Colin Walker :blink: The one I'm thinking of played in the BP Youth Cup Winning Team in 1994 I think he was from Bonnyrigg

Stephen Simmons and Kevin Thomas stand out for me in recent times. Eric Carruthers if you go further back. All made the first team but did not kick on. To be fair Thomas picked up a terrible injury after looking a ready made replacement for the outstanding Sandy Clark. How Simmons is in the first Division after persuading such a hard task master as Levein that he was a potential Scotland Captain is truly bewildering. Carruthers probably flattered.

Some players seem to reach their full potential at differing ages (most in their mid to late 20's), because Simmons hit his at about 18-19 everyone thought he was still going to progress further and become a world beater, sad fact was that was as good as he was ever going to get!

Mind how we all had Scott Severin tipped as a potential star?

Then he wound up at Aberdeen. Shame.

Made me laugh.

Robbie Neilson now at Leicester City reserves .... wants to return north apparently.

Only 32 players have ever played more games for Hearts, captain, capped while at Hearts, Cup winning penalty taker, scorer of the winner in one of our best ever European wins ... didn't make it right enough. :whistling:

tartofmidlothian

bjornsson, falzon, pelosi, wagner

Haraldur Bjornsson - Valur Reykjavik

Matthew Falzon - ???

Marco Pelosi - Perth SC in Australia

Elias Wagner - Admiral Wacker Modling II (presumably AWM's feeder club)

Some of these are according to Transfermarkt, don't know if it's reliable.

Speaking of Pelosi... http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/2008/02/01/love-cheat-ashley-cole-s-ex-in-romp-with-scots-star-86908-20305491/

Malcolm Tucker

"A GLAMOUR model who claims she bedded Chelsea love rat Ashley Cole has been enjoying a romantic beach holiday with a Scottish football star."

No, try a Cav loving rasper.

Johanes de Silentio

What ever happened to Paul McMullan? Young left-back who came in after we sold Gary Naysmith? I remember he scored an absolute raker against Killie once.

Now at Berwick, I think, after a spell at Stranraer - looked decent at one point.

I used to read about the young players with interest. Now I'm not interesting in reading about them. I hope the current crop see this thread and realise that they haven't "made it" until they have actually made it! Far too many young guys seem to think they are all that after their first sniff of first team action or training. Any young player who is thinking they can go out drinking during the season is kidding himself. Football is a short career and you have to grow up quicker than other kids and make the sacrifices. Unfortunately footballing talent and brains usually have an inverse relationship and so many young players fall by the wayside...

Determination and athleticism can get you a long way in football even with limited talent and for that reason Robbie Neilson should always be accorded the respect he has earned. Limited talent but exceptional application allowed him to forge a good career even though he wasn't a superstar technically (Apart from throw-ins of course!)

Haraldur Bjornsson - Valur Reykjavik

Matthew Falzon - ???

Marco Pelosi - Perth SC in Australia

Elias Wagner - Admiral Wacker Modling II (presumably AWM's feeder club)

Some of these are according to Transfermarkt, don't know if it's reliable.

Speaking of Pelosi... http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/2008/02/01/love-cheat-ashley-cole-s-ex-in-romp-with-scots-star-86908-20305491/

Falzons back in Australia, not sure of what team though. Good to see Wagners playing after that leg break.

funktasticlad

Always thought Paul McMullan had something Gary Naysmith esque about it him when he broke through but never materialised.

The boy Janyck (spelling) can mind when he came on against the Hibs and they were giving it big licks singing who the ******* hell are you only for him to whip in one of the best balls i've ever seen from the left flank for us to score.

Matty Rapnick again unsure of the spelling is a player i'd have like to seen break through, had pinned my hopes on him being the new Fyssas after wittnessing him on skill school

Ryan McGowan again whenever i've seen him in a hearts top looks the part so hope he can get a break in the 1st team at some point, captained our under 19's and reserves i'm sure so clearly got the head for the 1st team step up

Drylaw Hearts

Kevin Queen, John Paul Burns, Mark Bradley, David Murie, Stuart Callaghan, Grant Teirney, Scott Strang and Robbie Horn.

Archived