Flowers Of Manchester

Eckauskas

On ITV 1 just now.

Heartbreaking stuff.

Matt Busby reading out the names of the deceased brings a tear to my eye. The poignancy of the following game against Sheffield Wednesday must have been something out of this world.

Truly, this is as defining a moment in a football club as you will ever see.

It was ITV Border just now after Scotsport.

Border TV seems to be a bit behind the times. The 50th anniversary was quite a few weeks ago.

There have been other air crashes which wiped out entire football tams but for some reason , none figures highly on the English media radar screen.

If there is one issue sure to pess off yer average footie fan down here it is the overblown coverage of the Munich air crash.

Border TV seems to be a bit behind the times. The 50th anniversary was quite a few weeks ago.

There have been other air crashes which wiped out entire football tams but for some reason , none figures highly on the English media radar screen.

If there is one issue sure to pess off yer average footie fan down here it is the overblown coverage of the Munich air crash.

Yeah, I've noticed we also get Scotsport after 1am some weeks. Must be due to the fact it's an English based channel.

I think it features so highly on the radar screen of the English media for the simple fact that it was an English team. Not only that, but as the English pioneers of playing in European competition.

I don't agree with the last line of your post, however. There is something fundamentally wrong if your average football fan cannot diversify this from a simple loss of life.

Yeah, I've noticed we also get Scotsport after 1am some weeks. Must be due to the fact it's an English based channel.

I think it features so highly on the radar screen of the English media for the simple fact that it was an English team. Not only that, but as the English pioneers of playing in European competition.

I don't agree with the last line of your post, however. There is something fundamentally wrong if your average football fan cannot diversify this from a simple loss of life.

Disagree all you like.

I know fans of Villa , Wolves , Baggies, (Liverpool , obviously) and many other clubs : everyone is fed up with the media hype.

It has nothing to do with loss of life but the way Man U have glorified the loss of life. An event that happened 50 yers ago , and therefore outwith the life experience of nearly all footie fans in the UK , is given saturation coverage by Sky and features heavily in the coverage of all terrestrial channels news coverage. A distinct lack of perspective , don't you think ?

Disagree all you like.

I know fans of Villa , Wolves , Baggies, (Liverpool , obviously) and many other clubs : everyone is fed up with the media hype.

It has nothing to do with loss of life but the way Man U have glorified the loss of life. An event that happened 50 yers ago , and therefore outwith the life experience of nearly all footie fans in the UK , is given saturation coverage by Sky and features heavily in the coverage of all terrestrial channels news coverage. A distinct lack of perspective , don't you think ?

No, I don't.

Do you think McRaes battalion shows a lack of perspective?

As I said, if these people cannot see the tragedy in a loss of life like this, there is something fundementally wrong.

EDIT: Pioneers of the European Cup. Much appreciated Tazio.

No, I don't.

Do you think McRaes battalion shows a lack of perspective?

As I said, if these people cannot see the tragedy in a loss of life like this, there is something fundementally wrong.

EDIT: Pioneers of the European Cup. Much appreciated Tazio.

If you haven't already, see if you can get yourself a copy of Eamon Dunphy's book A Strange Kind Of Glory. It's his 1991 biography of Matt Busby. The book itself is a decent read, and a very good read if you're a Man U fan. But what made the book for me was the section dealing with Munich and the months immediately afterwards. I found it compelling.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Strange-Kind-Glory-Manchester-United/dp/1845132556/ref=pd_sbs_b_title_1

Geoff Kilpatrick
If you haven't already, see if you can get yourself a copy of Eamon Dunphy's book A Strange Kind Of Glory. It's his 1991 biography of Matt Busby. The book itself is a decent read, and a very good read if you're a Man U fan. But what made the book for me was the section dealing with Munich and the months immediately afterwards. I found it compelling.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Strange-Kind-Glory-Manchester-United/dp/1845132556/ref=pd_sbs_b_title_1

Indeed U. It showed Sir Matt as the true 'hard man' that he was, despite his 'aura' of being the father figure (not that that wasn't true either but it showed his ruthlessness).

Indeed U. It showed Sir Matt as the true 'hard man' that he was, despite his 'aura' of being the father figure (not that that wasn't true either but it showed his ruthlessness).

Dunphy's take on Sir Matt's style of "performance assessment" is worth reading. Mind you, Dunphy was bitter because Busby recognised him for the journeyman he was.

I thought the way Dunphy described the emotional impact of the Munich disaster was compelling and heartbreaking.

I'll tell you something for nothing. As long as he lived, the one name that could bring my father to tears was Duncan Edwards. A Strange Kind Of Glory was the only book I ever bought my oul' fella - he wasn't a book kind of guy. But he read that one section of the book over and over again.

I'm not a Man U fan, and I wasn't even born in 1958, but even so I still feel a sense of what was lost to football at Munich. May they rest in peace.

Archived