Barca v A Madrid

Corstojohn

Watching this game with Barca cruising 2-0 the commentator has just said that Barca are about to make Spanish football history by becoming the first team to win 16 games on the trot. They really are awesome.

La liga is the new spl infact its worse as only one team will win that league real arent close in terms of quality yet

Cardiac Rucksack

I see Skys pet european teams cheerleaders are on again. One look in the respective trophy rooms shows which club is greater. 9 european cups, 10 by May. Viva los Blancos.

Konrad von Carstein

I see Skys pet european teams cheerleaders are on again. One look in the respective trophy rooms shows which club is greater. 9 european cups, 10 by May. Viva los Blancos.

Going by the quotes elsewhere online, Barca are being far more respectful of Madrid's history than a Scottish wannabe supporter of Los Blancos is of Barca's.

I respect Real Madrids history.....but I am witnessing a very special team. This group of Barcelona players are re-writing history with every game.

As a football fan, its the best I have seen !

The Old Tolbooth

Although Barca are superb, what a feckin boring league it is!

I'm pretty sure they had a banner saying they didn't want to be like Scotland, but in realistic terms they're worse than that because it's a 1 (ONE) horse race!

I'm pretty sure they had a banner saying they didn't want to be like Scotland, but in realistic terms they're worse than that because it's a 1 (ONE) horse race!

Difference is though, they have done it on a level playing field.

Difference is though, they have done it on a level playing field.

No they haven't. Barce and Real take a criminal cut of the TV money in Spain. It's arguably worse than here.

Valencia, Deportivo and Atletico Madrid have all won the league in the last 15 years. Sociedad also pushed Real very close one year. Maybe the last 3-4 years Barca have been untouchable but it hardly compares to Scotland!

Valencia, Deportivo and Atletico Madrid have all won the league in the last 15 years. Sociedad also pushed Real very close one year. Maybe the last 3-4 years Barca have been untouchable but it hardly compares to Scotland!

true but I get the feeling barca will dominate that league for years to come. I just don't see any team getting close.

Last 35 years in Spain

Real Madrid Titles 15

Barcelona 11 titles

others 9

No team won outwith Barca or Real Madrid since 2004 (Valencia)

Scotland

Celtic 13

Rangers 18

Others 4

No team outwith old firm won since 1985 (Aberdeen)

Cardiac Rucksack

The monthly Barca lovefest begins again

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhAEzyxuotY

All we need now is someone to chant out the Sky mantra of how they're the greatest ever :rolleyes:

Monthly mate its weekly. It wont be long until were being todl who messi xavi or iniestas farts smell like rose petals or the y help old ladies across the street in their spare time. They are a good side, a very good side. But thats all.

No they haven't. Barce and Real take a criminal cut of the TV money in Spain. It's arguably worse than here.

It's not just the criminal percentage they take, it's he volume of money they take that cut from

80% of ?5m

80% of ?100m

I know that's not the exact figures but you get my drift. Most of the Spanish teams are Chocked win debts & not only do Barca get a huge chunk of money, they are also ran by the bank so can get away with 'elastic banks' to the tune of over ?600m!!

They are a quality side, don't get me wrong & they has brought so many players through don't get me wrong, but it can't be ignored

Monthly mate its weekly. It wont be long until were being todl who messi xavi or iniestas farts smell like rose petals or the y help old ladies across the street in their spare time. They are a good side, a very good side. But thats all.

:lol:

Good to see I'm not alone in being fed-up with this hyperbole. They are a very good side but let's at least wait for history to run its course before comparing them to the great sides that have graced this game.

:lol:

Good to see I'm not alone in being fed-up with this hyperbole. They are a very good side but let's at least wait for history to run its course before comparing them to the great sides that have graced this game.

Unsurprised that a Liverpool fan is unable to appreciate great football.

jamboinglasgow

its like many Man U fans I read who refuse to accept that Messi is the best player in the world and even claim its only because he plays in Spain that he looks good.

It's not just the criminal percentage they take, it's he volume of money they take that cut from

80% of ?5m

80% of ?100m

I know that's not the exact figures but you get my drift. Most of the Spanish teams are Chocked win debts & not only do Barca get a huge chunk of money, they are also ran by the bank so can get away with 'elastic banks' to the tune of over ?600m!!

They are a quality side, don't get me wrong & they has brought so many players through don't get me wrong, but it can't be ignored

they both sell their own tv rights, its not a collective tv deal

Which part of "a very good side" went over your head?

Sorry mate but 'very good side' just doesn't cut it when describing the Barca team I've been watching.

The football has been as good as anything I've seen in the 55 years I've followed the game. And that includes World Cups going back to the early 60s.

It's much worse,they have separate tv deals.I'm sure Reals is something like 100m Euros per season for the next ten years.

Hearts Heritage

Sorry mate but 'very good side' just doesn't cut it when describing the Barca team I've been watching.

The football has been as good as anything I've seen in the 55 years I've followed the game. And that includes World Cups going back to the early 60s.

I don't disagree BUT until they win multiple European Cups History won't judge them as truly great like Real, Ajax, Bayern or Liverpool.

I don't disagree BUT until they win multiple European Cups History won't judge them as truly great like Real, Ajax, Bayern or Liverpool.

Can't argue with that.

Frankenstein Jambo.

This Barca team HAS won multiple EUROPEAN CUPS and multiple domestic honours. If this team was to come up against any of those great teams meantiond, they would win comfortable IMO.

Bit unfair that. They dont compete with Real Madrid or Milan, but have a half decent record.

Team Winners

Real Madrid 9 1956, 1957, 1958, 1959, 1960, 1966, 1998 2000, 2002

Milan 7 1963, 1969, 1989, 1990, 1994, 2003, 2007 ,

Liverpool 5 1977, 1978, 1981, 1984, 2005

Bayern Munich 4 1974, 1975, 1976, 2001

Ajax 4 1971, 1972, 1973, 1995

Barcelona 3 1992, 2006, 2009

Internazionale 3 1964, 1965, 2010

Manr United 3 1968, 1999, 2008

Hearts Heritage

This Barca team HAS won multiple EUROPEAN CUPS and multiple domestic honours. If this team was to come up against any of those great teams meantiond, they would win comfortable IMO.

Eh?

They won it in 2005-06 and 2008?09 . I wouldn't count the 2005-06 as being the same team as 2008-09.

Bit unfair that. They dont compete with Real Madrid or Milan, but have a half decent record.

Team Winners

Real Madrid 9 1956, 1957, 1958, 1959, 1960, 1966, 1998 2000, 2002

And you have to ask yourself how competitive it was in the 50's.

Of all the records AC Milans stands out the most for me.

Hearts Heritage

Team Winners

Real Madrid 9 1956, 1957, 1958, 1959, 1960, 1966,

1998 2000, 2002

We are not tallying numbers but winning it in consecutive or near consecutive seasons. So Real, Milan, Liverpool, Bayern and Ajax count

Man U don't.

Barcelona don't .......... Yet.

Frankenstein Jambo.

Eh?

They won it in 2005-06 and 2008?09 . I wouldn't count the 2005-06 as being the same team as 2008-09.

And you are saying Liverpool, Ajax, Madrid ect..won all their honours with the same team?

The spine of the team is the same - Puyol, Messi, Xavi, Inest, Victor Valdes.

I think the champions league has made all of those arguments null and void. Winning the champions league is very different to winning a genuine knockout competition between the cream of european football. Not harder or easier but a different kind of challenge.

Hearts Heritage

And you are saying Liverpool, Ajax, Madrid ect..won all their honours with the same team?

The spine of the team is the same -

Puyol, Yes

Messi, No

Xavi, No

Inest, Sub

Victor Valdes Yes

Different managers different styles

BARCELONA: 2006

GK 1 Spain V?ctor Vald?s

RB 23 Spain Oleguer Presas Booked in the 69th minute 69' Substituted off in the 71st minute 71'

CB 4 Mexico Rafael M?rquez

CB 5 Spain Carles Puyol ©

LB 12 Netherlands Giovanni van Bronckhorst

DM 15 Brazil Edm?lson Substituted off in the 46th minute 46'

CM 20 Portugal Deco

CM 17 Netherlands Mark van Bommel Substituted off in the 61st minute 61'

RW 8 France Ludovic Giuly

LW 10 Brazil Ronaldinho

CF 9 Cameroon Samuel Eto'o

Substitutes:

GK 25 Spain Albert Jorquera

DF 2 Brazil Juliano Belletti Substituted on in the 71st minute 71'

DF 16 Brazil Sylvinho

MF 3 Brazil Thiago Motta

MF 6 Spain Xavi Hern?ndez

MF 24 Spain Andr?s Iniesta Substituted on in the 46th minute 46'

FW 7 Sweden Henrik Larsson Booked in the 90+3th minute 90+3' Substituted on in the 61st minute 61'

Manager:

Netherlands Frank Rijkaard

BARCELONA: 2009

GK 1 Spain V?ctor Vald?s

RB 5 Spain Carles Puyol ©

CB 24 C?te d'Ivoire Yaya Tour?

CB 3 Spain Gerard Piqu? Booked in the 16th minute 16'

LB 16 Brazil Sylvinho

DM 28 Spain Sergio Busquets

CM 6 Spain Xavi Hern?ndez

CM 8 Spain Andr?s Iniesta Substituted off in the 90+2th minute 90+2'

RW 10 Argentina Lionel Messi

LW 14 France Thierry Henry Substituted off in the 72nd minute 72'

CF 9 Cameroon Samuel Eto'o

Substitutes:

GK 13 Spain Jos? Manuel Pinto

DF 2 Uruguay Mart?n C?ceres

DF 46 Spain Marc Muniesa

MF 15 Mali Seydou Keita Substituted on in the 72nd minute 72'

FW 7 Iceland Ei?ur Gu?johnsen

FW 11 Spain Bojan Krki?

FW 27 Spain Pedro Rodr?guez Substituted on in the 90+2th minute 90+2'

Manager:

Spain Josep Guardiola

Don't get me wrong they are a wonderful side but they need possibly 2 wins to be considered historically as among the best.

I agree that this Barca team certainly isn't the 2006 side: it is part of the same era of success though. And the problem is, we're just not comparing like with like here. The Champions League is much, much more difficult to win than the old European Cup: the Champions League is a genuine European club Championship, whereas 10th placed Aston Villa won the 1982 EC, for example. But more than that: Bosman and its consequences means that players don't stay at the same club for anything like as long as they used to - so even the biggest clubs have to constantly evolve, constantly build new teams.

This Barca side is, as a bare minimum, the best club team Europe has seen since Milan of the late 80s and early 90s. And if Barca's dominance continues in the years ahead, then they as a club will begin to rival Real of the late 1950s. Not yet, though.

Frankenstein Jambo.

I agree that this Barca team certainly isn't the 2006 side: it is part of the same era of success though. And the problem is, we're just not comparing like with like here. The Champions League is much, much more difficult to win than the old European Cup: the Champions League is a genuine European club Championship, whereas 10th placed Aston Villa won the 1982 EC, for example. But more than that: Bosman and its consequences means that players don't stay at the same club for anything like as long as they used to - so even the biggest clubs have to constantly evolve, constantly build new teams.

This Barca side is, as a bare minimum, the best club team Europe has seen since Milan of the late 80s and early 90s. And if Barca's dominance continues in the years ahead, then they as a club will begin to rival Real of the late 1950s. Not yet, though.

You said it yourself - winning the Champions League twice in a relativly short period of period of time is extremly difficult to do. Real Madrid in the late 50's didn't have nearly as much competition as this barca team and I'd say they are already rivaling the great real madrid.

Gavsy Van Gaverson

The difference between the teamsheet for Barca in the 2006 and 2009 finals doesn't tell the full picture though.

Xavi was on the bench, but earlier in the season done the ligaments in his knee. He only returned to the team in late April and wasn't ready to play from the start in the final. He didn't even make a substitute appearance but has been a regular in the team since around 2001.

Messi had also become a regular that season, but was injured in the second leg of the 2nd round tie against Chelsea. He didn't play again that season.

You said it yourself - winning the Champions League twice in a relativly short period of period of time is extremly difficult to do. Real Madrid in the late 50's didn't have nearly as much competition as this barca team and I'd say they are already rivaling the great real madrid.

Madrid had to cope with a very strong Barca in Spain; and in Europe, with fine, fine Milan, Man Utd, Atletico Madrid sides, and the great Benfica team. Winning five European Cups on the bounce remains the pre-eminent accomplishment in European club football: not least because of how hard they were tested (twice) by Milan, and the crowning glory of their 7-3 destruction of Eintracht Frankfurt in Glasgow.

The difference between the teamsheet for Barca in the 2006 and 2009 finals doesn't tell the full picture though.

Xavi was on the bench, but earlier in the season done the ligaments in his knee. He only returned to the team in late April and wasn't ready to play from the start in the final. He didn't even make a substitute appearance but has been a regular in the team since around 2001.

Messi had also become a regular that season, but was injured in the second leg of the 2nd round tie against Chelsea. He didn't play again that season.

And Eto'o played in both finals too.

Obviously he is no longer there but was a big part of the side before he left.

Can you really compare football in the 50's to what it is now?

Gavsy Van Gaverson

And Eto'o played in both finals too.

Obviously he is no longer there but was a big part of the side before he left.

Can you really compare football in the 50's to what it is now?

I've only just realised that Sylvinho was in both squads. I didn't think he was there that long.

I've only just realised that Sylvinho was in both squads. I didn't think he was there that long.

I also completely forgot about Oleguer at the back. I used to think he was absolutely hopeless!

If you have the best player in the world in your side then you can win anything

Messi at Hearts with the current team and we would win the SPL -- not even a doubt in my mind about that statement

Barcelona are the best side in the world at present with the best player and prob 2 or 3 of the top 10 players in the world also and virtually all of the other players are of international class.

Great to watch and play the game as it should be -- football goes in cycles though and one day they will not dominate but will still be a great club.

Even a great team can play badly at times or suffer from a lack of lady luck, especially against another very good team as with Inter last year so as we all know nothing is certain in football.

Archived