ICT U19s v Hearts U19s

Footballfirst

Footballfirst

I got the chance to travel up with the U19s today to the Highland Academy at Dingwall for the game against ICT and what a farce that turned out to be.

The departure was delayed while a pitch inspection was carried out at 8:30 which was ok so we set off, then they announced they were doing another at 10:30 by which time the bus was at Pitlochry and hitting some snow. Despite Hearts concerns about the weather forecast for Dingwall at the time the game was due to KO, the game was given the go-ahead after ICT consulted with the SPL. The second half of the journey was a bit hairy with driving snow, but sure enough by the time we reached Dingwall the lying snow had disappeared and the pitch was in decent condition.

The U19s started their warm up as snow began to fall, but the game started as scheduled at 1pm. Within 15 mins the game had to be stopped to allow the lines to be cleared, which was repeated at interval during the half. At half time the ref initially said that the game could resume so he called the players out and both sides were ready to go, before he changed his mind and decided to abandon the game on player safety grounds. Ironically, it immediately stopped snowing thereafter and conditions were better than they had been throughout the first half.

I have no issue with the game having been abandoned, but it really shouldn't have started, nor should it have been necessary for Hearts to travel if the SPL had the balls to make an early decision in light of a poor weather forecast and travelling conditions.

As for the game, it was 0-0 at half time, with Hearts much the better side and playing some decent football despite the conditions. Holt and Robinson each missed a couple of gilt edged chances while Walker and Smith also went close. ICT had a couple of chances early in the game before Hearts got used to the conditions, but Fairley made a couple of good saves diving to his left.

Good performances from the midfield and Dave Smith up front. Hearts look much more of a threat going forward now that Jamie Walker has returned to the side. Rob Ogleby was left out of the starting lineup as he is off international duty with Wales U21s.

Hearts line up

Fairley

Mullen McCormack C Hamilton McHattie

Walker Robinson Prychynenko Holt Morton

Smith

Subs J Hamilton, Murdoch, Kane, Tobin, Patterson, Ogleby, King

The game has been rescheduled for next Saturday at 1pm.

Made the trip up with the 19s once. Good fun. We won 3-0 with a double from Branny and Copil getting the other. They two were brilliant that day and I came away certain that both of them would go on to great things at Tynecastle. Other notable players that day were Gowser, Eggert, Johnny Stewart and Temps (on the bench). I'd seen C Thomson play before but he was still backup to Sean Kelly at this time.

Archived