Hearts - a bunch of losers

kingdannyb

The stinking OF are always superior to us because they have winning mentalities.

This is because they are all used to winning, from managers to coaches to players.

They all have plenty trophies to their name individually.

Apart from JJ with his medal from 98 I don't think one single player has any medal of any kind.

Hence, they are a bunch of losers.

I appreciate the headline may seem a bit harsh but it is just the truth.

If our club has not one single person involved with any experience of winning anything, how can we ever realistically expect to be champions.

This is why so many people are happy for us to be "best of the rest"

**** that, I want to win the league but with the staff at the club at present, it will never happen.

Thoughts ?

ernie winchester

The stinking OF are always superior to us because they have winning mentalities.

This is because they are all used to winning, from managers to coaches to players.

Apart from JJ with his medal from 98 I don't think one single player has any medal of any kind.

If our club has not one single person involved with any experience of winning anything, how can we ever realistically expect to be champions.

**** that, I want to win the league but with the staff at the club at present, it will never happen.

Thoughts ?

Maybe the fact that the OF have a HELL of a lot more income and can therefore spend millions of pounds on players helps a bit, no? Realistically, no other team should be anywhere NEAR as close to them as we have been this season.

sorry but rubbish. you can't win the league purely on a winning mentality.

come to think of it, you can't just go out and obtain a winning mentality. the old firm have built it up over decades of dominance. a snowballing effect of having better players, winning matches and winning trophies. aided of course by 'other factors'.

our players are not losers. they're just not good enough yet as a group to win.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Thoughts ?

Jefferies, Brown Skacel and Locke all have experience of winning things in Scotland while others in the team have won a few things abroad.

Thoughts ?

Do you remember the Final of 2006??? Rudolf Skacel??? I know it's only 1 player, BUT, you said "not one single player has a medal!!" :teehee:

Apart from JJ with his medal from 98 I don't think one single player has any medal of any kind. However

Thoughts ?

The problem is Hearts are essentially a "selling" club. Look at the way the 98 cup winning team broke up, and to a lesser extent the 06 cup winning team. I sincerely hope this current team can be kept together for the whole of next season by Mr. Romanov, I believe with maybe 1 or 2 additions the team would be good enough to challenge the "stinking OF". However, I fear the vultures will try to buy Wallace for sure, and maybe Temps.

Think back to the 85/86 season - Alex McDonald as manager had won everything, club captain Sandy Jardine the same, but today we have a five Scottish Cup medals through put the entire club.

Not quite the same is it.

Thoughts ?

As well as Rudi Skacel, Ismail Bouzid was won honors in Algeria and Turkey and David Obua has won honours in South Africa.

I just believe that if we are ever to be Scottish champions we need winners of major medals, ie SPL, Premiership, FA Cup etc throughout the management and playing staff.

Currently we do not.

Frankenstein Jambo.

I just believe that if we are ever to be Scottish champions we need winners of major medals, ie SPL, Premiership, FA Cup etc throughout the management and playing staff.

Currently we do not.

We could get Alex Ferguson in using the same resources, he'd still seriously struggle to compete with the old firm.

Fact is, they have vast more sums of money to spend than we do.

Think back to the 85/86 season - Alex McDonald as manager had won everything, club captain Sandy Jardine the same, but today we have a five Scottish Cup medals through put the entire club.

Not quite the same is it.

And as good a season as that was, what did we actually win. Nowt, nothing, Nada. So the fact that we had winners, it didn't really help at the end of the day. A good amount of belief, a fair share of luck, a mixture of skill, hard graft, fun and most importantly a collective spirit would help and I don't think we are that short.

Currently we do not.

Like Arsene Wenger, Stevie Gerrard and Didier Drogba?

I agree.

Currently we do not.

Of course, it's so simple! all we need to do is sign players who have won major honours with the top teams in europe...why has no one thought of this before!!!?

Miller Jambo 60

sorry but rubbish. you can't win the league purely on a winning mentality.

come to think of it, you can't just go out and obtain a winning mentality. the old firm have built it up over decades of dominance. a snowballing effect of having better players, winning matches and winning trophies. aided of course by 'other factors'.

our players are not losers. they're just not good enough yet as a group to win.

Good post Spanky, the other factors being refs lolthumbsup.gif.

Doug.

Well, in realistic terms, say we had David Weir and Walter Smith, I don't think we would have been as pathetic in the last two games in Glasgow.

I don't mean we need Champions League winners, I just mean we need players/managers who have won slightly more than a single Scottish cup medal each !

Well, in realistic terms, say we had David Weir and Walter Smith, I don't think we would have been as pathetic in the last two games in Glasgow.

I don't mean we need Champions League winners, I just mean we need players/managers who have won slightly more than a single Scottish cup medal each !

But Walter Smaith is only as good as the squad he has at his disposal...which is better and more resourceful than the rest of the SPL bar Celtic.

I reckon if you put me in charge of Rangers tomorrow, I could finish above Walter Smith's Hearts team.

Weir played for Hearts for a couple of years and moved on to bigger things. Say he was on three or four grand a week at Hearts back in the 90s. Well then there's a reason why he's at Rangers now. To win things more easily than he could with Hearts and to earn better money than we could pay him. Plus he probably supports Rangers.

Plus, we had Alex MacDonald and Sandy Jardine in charge of us and we regularly lost at Ibrox.

Thoughts ?

Bit harsh. Its not so easy to acquire the right minded players at a club like ours but we should do our best to engrain a winning attitude to whoever comes through the door.

You need both winning mentality and ability but having an overiding winning mentality can take you a long way as long as a decent level of talent is there...this brings me to Hearts...

Are we so far behind the OF in ability? I don`t think so, give or take the odd player, so what does it come down to? Mentality.

At Celtic you have new recruits in Stokes, Hooper and one or two others....what have they won? Even when Rangers signed Thomson, Whittaker etc....where they born winners?

Suddenly they go to the OF and are performing at a level they hadn`t before and being part of title winners. Thats MENTALITY. They`ve had to up their game at a bigger club or they are out.

JJ and BB were complimented by Naismith on their winning mentality, i just think its because there are some players at our club who simply don`t have it and will hopefully be emptied accordingly by the management.

I think its unrealistic to "expect" us to challenge regularly for the league - but our record in cup competitions down the years for a club of our size is a disgrace. For example, IIRC our last 6 domestic cup exits have been to the following teams:

St Johnstone

Falkirk

Aberdeen

St Mirren

Falkirk

Airdrie

Nowhere near good enough.

We could get Alex Ferguson in using the same resources, he'd still seriously struggle to compete with the old firm.

Fact is, they have vast more sums of money to spend than we do.

Didn't Mercer and Ferguson have a gentleman's agreement (many years ago); that if Man U had lost the FA Cup to Crystal Palace, Ferguson will then sign for us as manager?

I think this was Fergies 2nd or 3rd season at Man U. :unsure:

Victor Meldrew

Didn't Mercer and Ferguson have a gentleman's agreement (many years ago); that if Man U had lost the FA Cup to Crystal Palace, Ferguson will then sign for us as manager?

I think this was Fergies 2nd or 3rd season at Man U. :unsure:

Yes, the deal had been done. They won the Cup after a replay and the rest is history...

We got Joe Jordan instead.

kingantti1874

Agree in part with the op, there is an attitude about those clubs which makes average players play above their level and consistently deliver results... V annoying

I think its unrealistic to "expect" us to challenge regularly for the league - but our record in cup competitions down the years for a club of our size is a disgrace. For example, IIRC our last 6 domestic cup exits have been to the following teams:

St Johnstone

Falkirk

Aberdeen

St Mirren

Falkirk

Airdrie

Nowhere near good enough.

Totally agree with this. After the Saints defeat, I was left with the horrible sense that the Scottish Cup is beginning to be treated with the same disdain by leading clubs as the FA Cup is down south. Which is crazy - because winning the title is a utopian scenario for us, 2nd place is incredibly difficult and doesn't even get us into the CL any more, and 3rd equals a probable exit before the Europa League group stages.

Therefore, for every single club outside the Old Firm, winning the Scottish Cup is realistically as good as it gets; and winning the League Cup hardly to be sniffed at either. Imagine how much better this season would seem if we were still in the Cup, ahead of a last 16 meeting in which one or other of the gruesomes have to fall? Yet we have reached one solitary League Cup final in what's about to become the last 50 years, a record which defies comprehension; and in the Scottish, a long period of near misses prior to 1998 has given way to a very poor return, bar one glorious year.

Here's our Scottish Cup record since 1998:

1998/9: last 32

1999/0: quarter-final

2000/1: quarter-final

2001/2: last 16

2002/3: last 32

2003/4: last 16

2004/5: semi-final

2005/6: winners

2006/7: last 16

2007/8: last 32

2008/9: last 16

2009/10: last 32

2010/11: last 32

That's simply abject - and within that period have been pathetic performances at home to St Johnstone, away to Aberdeen, home to Falkirk, away to Motherwell (twice), away to Dunfermline, humiliation at Falkirk and at home to Inverness Caley. I wouldn't mind if we were being knocked out by quality sides, and producing real resistance in the process - but too often, far, far too often, we've exited with a whimper.

Hearts are comfortably Scotland's third biggest club, and the Cup competitions provide us with a huge opportunity every single season. So why don't we take them? At the very least, we should be targeting overhauling Aberdeen's total of 17 major trophies as soon as possible.

Fozzyonthefence

The problem is Hearts are essentially a "selling" club. Look at the way the 98 cup winning team broke up, and to a lesser extent the 06 cup winning team. I sincerely hope this current team can be kept together for the whole of next season by Mr. Romanov, I believe with maybe 1 or 2 additions the team would be good enough to challenge the "stinking OF". However, I fear the vultures will try to buy Wallace for sure, and maybe Temps.

This current Hearts team is nowhere near as good as the 97/98 or 05/06 teams. I was comparing the current team to the 98 Cup Final team (only 2 of the starting line up were never capped by their country and they were French & Italian) and I honestly dont think there is a single player in the current team that would have got in the 98 team and you could probably argue the same about the 06 team. These 2 teams would seriously piss all over our current one.

Fozzyonthefence

Totally agree with this. After the Saints defeat, I was left with the horrible sense that the Scottish Cup is beginning to be treated with the same disdain by leading clubs as the FA Cup is down south. Which is crazy - because winning the title is a utopian scenario for us, 2nd place is incredibly difficult and doesn't even get us into the CL any more, and 3rd equals a probable exit before the Europa League group stages.

Therefore, for every single club outside the Old Firm, winning the Scottish Cup is realistically as good as it gets; and winning the League Cup hardly to be sniffed at either. Imagine how much better this season would seem if we were still in the Cup, ahead of a last 16 meeting in which one or other of the gruesomes have to fall? Yet we have reached one solitary League Cup final in what's about to become the last 50 years, a record which defies comprehension; and in the Scottish, a long period of near misses prior to 1998 has given way to a very poor return, bar one glorious year.

Here's our Scottish Cup record since 1998:

1998/9: last 32

1999/0: quarter-final

2000/1: quarter-final

2001/2: last 16

2002/3: last 32

2003/4: last 16

2004/5: semi-final

2005/6: winners

2006/7: last 16

2007/8: last 32

2008/9: last 16

2009/10: last 32

2010/11: last 32

That's simply abject - and within that period have been pathetic performances at home to St Johnstone, away to Aberdeen, home to Falkirk, away to Motherwell (twice), away to Dunfermline, humiliation at Falkirk and at home to Inverness Caley. I wouldn't mind if we were being knocked out by quality sides, and producing real resistance in the process - but too often, far, far too often, we've exited with a whimper.

Hearts are comfortably Scotland's third biggest club, and the Cup competitions provide us with a huge opportunity every single season. So why don't we take them? At the very least, we should be targeting overhauling Aberdeen's total of 17 major trophies as soon as possible.

That is awful (although 2 Scottish Cups in the last 13 years does make it seem a lot better). The League Cup final stat is astonishingly bad - I knew we had a bad record, but 1 final in 50 years? Ffs!

I agree that a winning mentality is required and I also agree that for a club our size the number of trophies we have won is simply not good enough. However, for a team like Hearts to win things regularly you need the perfect storm of seasoned pros, hungry youngsters and good relatively cheap foreigners. As soon as you get all these parts together and you start to put a run of games together the vultures start circling. Rangers, Celtic and English clubs offer higher wages and a so called bigger stage and before you know it your team is broken up and the winning mentality disappears. Hearts need to be strong in the transfer market and not accept low offers for players which we have been reasonably good at recently. We have good players and should expect more but we need to keep this team together and then we can push for honours - but keeping the team together is the hardest part.

pettigrewsstylist

Thoughts ?

Andy Webster and Rudi Skacel????

The Old Tolbooth

Lets delve back into history a wee bit, the Hearts team that started winning league titles in the 50's didn't have anyone that had a "winning mentality" before we actually won something, in fact it was Hearts who instilled the winning mentality into these players.

The Hibs team of the 50's who won the league title also didn't have a winning mentality, neither did the Killie team of 65, the Dundee Utd team of 83, or the Aberdeen team of the 80's, they all grew as a team together and "developed" a winning mentality as they went along, which is something that Hearts are going to have to do again if they plan to win anything soon.

Unless you're Rangers or Celtic who can afford better players over the years, you don't have a winning mentality, you need to develop one to be able to challenge, and if JJ can instil the belief into the players with a little bit more quality added to the squad, then I see no reason why we can't compete with the Old Firm in the future, as long as the better players stay together for another season or two at least.

ernie winchester

kevin Kyle although not won anything probably has the biggest winning mentality in Scotland! :thumbsup:

:D ... won't argue with that!

ernie winchester

Lets delve back into history a wee bit, the Hearts team that started winning league titles in the 50's didn't have anyone that had a "winning mentality" before we actually won something, in fact it was Hearts who instilled the winning mentality into these players.

The Hibs team of the 50's who won the league title also didn't have a winning mentality, neither did the Killie team of 65, the Dundee Utd team of 83, or the Aberdeen team of the 80's, they all grew as a team together and "developed" a winning mentality as they went along, which is something that Hearts are going to have to do again if they plan to win anything soon.

Unless you're Rangers or Celtic who can afford better players over the years, you don't have a winning mentality, you need to develop one to be able to challenge, and if JJ can instil the belief into the players with a little bit more quality added to the squad, then I see no reason why we can't compete with the Old Firm in the future, as long as the better players stay together for another season or two at least.

Therein lies the question John. We're all used to seeing a good season being followed by a poor one - raped by the OF or whatever - but do we have the resources now (Vlad) to hang on to our best assets? By that, I mean telling the OF to 'do one' whilst accepting that our best players may move down South but for 'decent' money, with the proceeds being re-invested into the team? Maybe yes, maybe no, but for once... it's a possibility? All depends on uncle Vlad.

Hearts of Vladland

This current Hearts team is nowhere near as good as the 97/98 or 05/06 teams. I was comparing the current team to the 98 Cup Final team (only 2 of the starting line up were never capped by their country and they were French & Italian) and I honestly dont think there is a single player in the current team that would have got in the 98 team and you could probably argue the same about the 06 team. These 2 teams would seriously piss all over our current one.

We have 117 caps throught our squad that is 11 players with Temps, Driver and Kello all likely to get there chance soon.

Balogh

Barr Bouzid Zal Webster Wallace

Jonsson

Elliott Skacel Obua

Kyle

There is a starting eleven that all have caps, our best starting line up would be Thomson for Barr, Mrowiec for Bouzid moved into DMC and Driver for Obua. Driver and Temps will get called up through time, Thomsom could and if Mrowiec keeps playing like he is depends on who plays there for Poland might, I doubt at the time the squad was all capped bar two.

I`d agree with this. Someone mentioned the Old Firms resources, years of winning trophies and how it all snowballs etc....but does that mean you give up? And how did they get to the stage where they are at just now? Before the money boom and going back 30, 40, 50 years they didn`t have that much more money than anyone else......but they still won alot of trophies.

Over the last few years teams in other leagues around europe have broken the cycle of the usual suspects winning the league, albeit for a season in some cases, but it proves it CAN be done.

For example , Wolfsburg. Did they suddenly become league winners because of big money invested or get a magic sprinkling of fairy dust? No, in that season they believed as the season went on they could be winners. A brilliant story of a club winning their first league title from nowhere but proof you can forge a winning mentality if the players are there and think they can do it.

Rangers and Celtic win most games and their fans go home bored. Think when we do win the league, it will change our lives. I would cry for a week.

Craig Herbertson

Spot on. The one different thing we have now is an owner who does not carry the baggage of anyone on the inside of Scottish football. He clearly is a winner or he wouldn't be where he was. We now have the potential to become winners and if we do it once with this owner I have a strong feeling we could slowly transform Hearts into the kind of force that might challenge every year. It needs a good team, a good manager and sadly a lot of money to do it.

At the moment the division is split into us and the Old Firm. We are the bridesmaids okay, but we have closed the gap by a hell of a margin. I'm hoping for a snowball effect, crowds slowly increasing, revenue coming in players becoming attracted to the club. If our owner sticks with us and we get the breaks it could be ten years of real fun instead of misery with a few highlights.

Problem Officer?

Rangers and Celtic win most games and their fans go home bored. Think when we do win the league, it will change our lives. I would cry for a week.

Yup.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Mystery of the day - why the **** are so many people replying constructively to this thread?

In response to the op, here's a spoon - feel free to eat my ass

Archived