League tilt gone ?

grumpyespana

Lets put to bed now the idea we were going to win the league this season it was good while it lasted but we must now cement third place for european football next season. JJ is doing a good job building his team hopefully nex season we will be even stronger in Jim we trust.

Grumpy.

Lets put to bed now the idea we were going to win the league this season it was good while it lasted but we must now cement third place for european football next season. JJ is doing a good job building his team hopefully nex season we will be even stronger in Jim we trust.

Grumpy.

No, lets try and win every game between now and the end of the season and see where it takes us!

Italian Lambretta

I think we will finish close to the Old Firm., but we're not good enough to win the league.

Grumpy.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Something I have always wondered is...

What would we be doing differently as a team to consolidate third, rather than trying to win the league?

Seems to me we should carry on doing exactly what we are doing just now. I think our position in the table accurately reflects our quality and our resources.

Lets keep plugging away and picking up the wins. We have a run of games without playing either of the OF. Good chance of another decent points haul. You never know, it might take us within touching distance again at the split.

The players can be immensely proud of their league performances so far, even if we have fell back a bit.

We pretty much need to win every game between now and the split to have any chance of catching Celtic, never mind Rangers.

Even if we somehow got to within five points of the top come the split, we'd then need to win just about every game after that.

Right now, I'd put our odds of the title at about 40/1.

Guest vanbasten1874

Its never over til its over we now have to take care of all the other teams below us and see where it takes us before the split ,

:ninja:

Was never realistically on to start with

yes it was. after beating rangers at tynie there was a chance to go to parkhead & ibrox and consolodate our position by avoiding defeats. two draws would have kept us very much in with a shout. now it just looks like it was never on because of the meek type of football we're playing at the moment. the swagger and the sparkle has gone, for now.

We pretty much need to win every game between now and the split to have any chance of catching Celtic, never mind Rangers.

Even if we somehow got to within five points of the top come the split, we'd then need to win just about every game after that.

Right now, I'd put our odds of the title at about 40/1.

40/1 is way way too skinny for our chances now. more like 200/1 upwards.

the old firm wont drop all that many points from now on in. possibly more points than our effective deficit but that would mean we would have to win virtually every game. it's just not on.

if we had a deficit to one of them then there is always hope but to trail both means it would take a set of results beyond anyone's imagination for us to get as close to them again as we were.

it's simply a case of doing our best to clinch 3rd as early as possible.

I dont think we can we the league, but if we are to challenge it will be because we have beaten teams outside the old firm.

Next few games are important. we need to win them and then with old firm still to play each other points will be dropped.

Dont count us out just yet

The Mighty Thor

It was never really on. We've been punching above our weight most of this season with the squad we have. We're a better team than last season but we are still a bit threadbare on quality despite our abundant quantity.

The job now is to crack on and secure third. That'll make it a good season.:thumbsup:

I'm a bit disconsolate about Hearts right now.

I know, sounds stupid. Can't quite put my finger on it.

[/quote

This is how I feel too ,I know I shouldn't afterall if anyone had said we would be a clear third at this stage I would have been delighted.I think the fact that when you watch the OF they look nothing special doesn't help

Aye never on blah blah. We've no chance blah blah. Too threadbare blah blah.

Hamilton away next Saturday 3 points and move on. Under the radar and get as many points as we can and then we'll see just where we finish.

Blah blah. :thumbsup:

I'm a bit disconsolate about Hearts right now.

I know, sounds stupid. Can't quite put my finger on it.

Spending time at the Gyle Shopping Centre can deflate any man's vim.

:ninja:

Was never realistically on to start with

Completely agree here. I thought the best out come for this season after Hibs was 2nd place and a trip to Hampden (be it final or semi-final) League flags were a bit over the top. We could still get second, but with Kyle playing through injections (apparently) and us having no decent back up to him, I can't see us getting further than 2nd. Would settle for 3rd if we were 2 to 3 points off 2nd place!

yes it was. after beating rangers at tynie there was a chance to go to parkhead & ibrox and consolodate our position by avoiding defeats. two draws would have kept us very much in with a shout. now it just looks like it was never on because of the meek type of football we're playing at the moment. the swagger and the sparkle has gone, for now.

40/1 is way way too skinny for our chances now. more like 200/1 upwards.

the old firm wont drop all that many points from now on in. possibly more points than our effective deficit but that would mean we would have to win virtually every game. it's just not on.

if we had a deficit to one of them then there is always hope but to trail both means it would take a set of results beyond anyone's imagination for us to get as close to them again as we were.

it's simply a case of doing our best to clinch 3rd as early as possible.

Rangers looked tried last night, they didn't look the same team that was at tynie a few weeks ago. I think there will still be plenty of twists along the way and can easily see both of the of dropping points. If, and it's a big if, we can go on a decent run then we might still give ourselves a little chance come the spilt. Whatever happens for the rest of the season, I can't see anyone catching us for 3rd which makes me a happy bunny

Dont forget - Rangers also have European matches to deal with too.

They will pick up injuries and have their off days.

Francis Albert

It was always a long shot, especially after throwing away so many points in the first 7 or 8 games. But it's less of a long shot now than it was at the beginning of the season and than it will be at the beginning of next season. After all the hard work in getting to where we are it would be ridiculous to settle for third at this stage (and doing so would be the only thing that could put 3rd at risk).

Guest Bilel Mohsni

I asked this earlier but failed to get a reply...

What would we do differently in a bid to consolidate third compared to a bid to win the league?

Fair enough if people are talking about fan expectation -completely different matter altogether- but if people are talking about the way the team plays then... Surely we try and win every game regardless of our expectation levels. :blink:

To have made any real impact on a challenge, we would've needed to add a couple of players in the transfer window. Kyle has been injured for a few weeks yet nothing was done to cover his loss, a couple of loan players might've made a difference but, as normal, we put in a challenge and nothing gets done to enhance it. It's their own fault.

Francis Albert

What would we do differently in a bid to consolidate third compared to a bid to win the league?

Fair enough if people are talking about fan expectation -completely different matter altogether- but if people are talking about the way the team plays then... Surely we try and win every game regardless of our expectation levels. :blink:

Of course the best way of consolidating third would be to go out to win every game. But psychologically if 3rd becomes the height of our ambitions then inevitably the cushion we now have would risk, if not complacency, then at least the loss of a "do or die" spirit in games, when draws against the likes of Kilmarnock and Dundee United could be viewed as good results.

Charlie-Brown

To have made any real impact on a challenge, we would've needed to add a couple of players in the transfer window. Kyle has been injured for a few weeks yet nothing was done to cover his loss, a couple of loan players might've made a difference but, as normal, we put in a challenge and nothing gets done to enhance it. It's their own fault.

We just signed a big striker to cover for Kyle .... or does he not count?

Francis Albert

As long as we give "them" the credit for being where we are!

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Of course the best way of consolidating third would be to go out to win every game. But psychologically if 3rd becomes the height of our ambitions then inevitably the cushion we now have would risk, if not complacency, then at least the loss of a "do or die" spirit in games, when draws against the likes of Kilmarnock and Dundee United could be viewed as good results.

That's my point FA,

I think a lot of people are talking about the fans reigning in their ambitions rather than the team. I hope the team are planning on trying their absolute best to win every single game between now and the end of the season. A lot of fans were having trouble coping with the expectation level of being outside title challengers and many now seem relieved that they do not have to put their nerves through the wringer anymore and can just concentrate on third.

I am with you... Reach for the stars, if you fall short and land on the moon, you will still be higher than if you aim for the moon and fall short. :thumbsup:

jamboinglasgow

Here is a plausible situation. Say at the start of the split we are 16 points behind 2nd and 16 points ahead of fourth, so we will be third whatever. Do we play full strength sides each game or do we start playing some younger players to build for next season?

Wonder if JJ is telling the team to go out and win every game or telling them to 'consolidate third'

My guess isnt this shan third place chat

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Here is a plausible situation. Say at the start of the split we are 16 points behind 2nd and 16 points ahead of fourth, so we will be third whatever. Do we play full strength sides each game or do we start playing some younger players to build for next season?

Bit of both for me JiG,

Do not make full team changes but try and let some of our fringe players build up an understanding with more established players.

We just signed a big striker to cover for Kyle .... or does he not count?

Well where was he last night Charlie, in a game where a point would have done so much to stop this mental

slide that is clearly evident in everyone's thinking

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Wonder if JJ is telling the team to go out and win every game or telling them to 'consolidate third'

My guess isnt this shan third place chat

Abso-feckin-lutely! :thumbsup:

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Well where was he last night Charlie, in a game where a point would have done so much to stop this mental

slide that is clearly eveident in everyone's thinking

He's ring-rusty apparently... putting him in when not fully fit at Ibrox, could have led to another Benny affair and the poor lad would be finished before he began with some fans.

The Mighty Thor

IMO there will be no difference in what the team do on the park, i'm quite sure they will always go out to win every game they play. The difference for me is all about the pressure around the squad generated by all the media chat about splitting the OF or winning the league or indeed the chat on here if any player is actually stupid enough to read this forum.

That 'pressure' should now be off and hopefully the expectation levels will return to something a bit more realistic with the squad JJ has at his disposal.

The team then should be a mixture of the youngsters and those who need to prove to JJ that they are worthy of a contract for next season.

Quite a few players out of contract - if we get a chance then they should get all the games to show that we need them for next season.

Whilst it is still mathematically possible to win the league I put on the band Journey's biggest hit and live quite happily in my little dream land thank you very much

We aren't going to win the league!! We never were!!

Let's just keep taking the season one game at a time and see where it takes us though!!

Would like to finish closer tonthe old firm than the team in 4th if we have to settle for 3rd place!!

Seymour M Hersh

No, lets try and win every game between now and the end of the season and see where it takes us!

This x 100.

Archived