Would You Be Happy To See Another SPL Team Split Or Better The OF?

Dagger Is Back

Dagger Is Back

Had the misfortune of being stuck behind three St J supporters walking along the road after the game yesterday,

They were very critical of HMFC and seemed to take a lot of pleasure from Wednesday nights failure talking about how our ambitions were unrealstic etc. etc.

We had a few thoughts to share with them too but it got me thinking.

With the exception of that lot down the road, would you like to see another SPL team in our position if we couldn't be there? Would you hope that they could either split the OF or go one better or would you

a) Not give a stuff

B) Hope that they failed

The Sainties were definitely in the 'lets all laugh at JTs' camp.

i take pleasure in any OF failure. that means someone else has to defeat them and, if it cant be us, i'm not too fussed who it is. save for the hibbys.

Had the misfortune of being stuck behind three St J supporters walking along the road after the game yesterday,

They were very critical of HMFC and seemed to take a lot of pleasure from Wednesday nights failure talking about how our ambitions were unrealstic etc. etc.

With the exception of that lot down the road, would you like to see another SPL team in our position if we couldn't be there? Would you hope that they could either split the OF or go one better or would you

a) Not give a stuff

B) Hope that they failed

Must be great being a fan of a team whos cup record is worse than Hibs,being able to laugh at us...im very jealous.

Dagger Is Back

Must be great being a fan of a team whos cup record is worse than Hibs,being able to laugh at us...im very jealous.

Aye it was an interesting chat we had I can tell you.

Fans of a team who have contributed virtually nothing of any note to Scottish football having a pop was just too good an opportunity to miss. :whistling:

I'd love to see the OF bettered & split regardless of who it was, though obviously preferably us.

RoussetsShorts

wouldnt mind anybody else toppling the OF as long as it wasn't the vermin, codheids or dundee hibs, anybody else can have a shot. The three teams I have mentioned have the unfortunate similarity of their entire supports being utterly delusional ramjets. :thumbsup:

They will never beaten and can only get stronger if we all have the attitude that if it cant be us then we hope its noone else.

Unfortunately Ive been caught in this trap many times.

I would be happy to see a non-of team split the old firm, though unsure how I would feel if it was Hibs.

I went down this road of thought a few times and ultimately as much as I say I want an open league and A N OTHER to beat the old firm to their inevitable title, I'm not sure it's true.

Imagine Hibs doing it. Or what if Aberdeen had a resurgence? Feckin' Motherwell?

Nah, I think if anyone does it, then is HAS to be us.

I don't care who challenges or splits the old firm, as long as someone does - even the wee lochend cockends. The uproar, wailing and gnashing of teeth from the weejie orks and the weejia give me huge satisfaction. It's good for Scottish football as a whole to put that pair in their place every now and again.

It goes without saying that I'd much rather the lochend cockends didn't win anything ever again.

i take pleasure in any OF failure. that means someone else has to defeat them and, if it cant be us, i'm not too fussed who it is. save for the hibbys.

This is the only attitude that makes any sense to me. Best decade ever for me in Scottish football? The '80s, specifically the first six years or so. No ifs or buts. And the reasons are quite obvious - real competition and the OF under threat from three different sides.

No.

If some other team splits the Glasgow two or wins the league that ISN'T Hearts, I'd feel a huge disappointment. The thought that it should've been us would be extremely painful.

Petty as I am, I hate to see Hibs and Aberdeen challenging.

If it isn't us, I prefer the Old Firm to win everything because I don't want anyone else to get too big for their boots.

The only exception to this was in 1994, when Raith beat the Mhanks in the Coca Cola Cup final.

Anyone who would be pleased for Hibs winning the league needs their head examined.

Wouldn't mind any other team splitting the old vermin I mean firm apart from Hubz, Sheep and St Midden.

I would rather it be hearts every season though rather than any other team.

Roberto Calzone

In terms of splitting the old firm and finishing second (or third) I'd take anyone.

Obviously, winning the league is something else. if we did it first, I could handle some non-old firm domination for a while

Since 1991 when Aberdeen almost pulled it off I honestly believe Hearts are the only team who have looked like challenging and I have to say I'd be disappointed if it isn't us when (if) the stranglehold is eventually broken.

Love it when other teams pap them out/beat them in the final of the cups though, even Hibs as long as it's not the final!

I would be happy for anyone to end the OF domination, no matter who. The Heart of Midlothian are clearly the team they fear as we alone have the potential to actually split them and even win the thing. It will not be easy and Vlad needs some more investment, but we alone can do this at the moment.

:)

Loved it in the eighties when Aberdeen and Dundee Utd. were sticking it to both of them, and I'd still love it if anyone, absolutely anyone, won the league rather than them...bloated, poisonous boils on the face of Scottish football.

I would love anyone to split them or more so finnish above them, be it us or Hibs, Aberdeen, United, anyone other than the malignent monsters who perpetuate and market themselves on pure pish imho. That said, can't see it happening in my lifetime, our game stinks and I am beginning to have to accept this despite 25 years of false hope. Truth hurts!

boy_in_maroon

every year we seem to say "this is the time to get them, they are not as strong as they were last season" but,,, I have been looking at "all the rest," and I could not come up with making an X1 from the rest strong, good, skillful enoough to compete with the old firm, sure they may loose the odd game here and there, but they will always be competing against each other for that number 1 place, only if the sfa revert back to an 18 - 20 team league with 1 home and 1 away, will any other team have a realistic chance of splitting the o/f or greater, winning the league, and that is why we will NEVER revert back to "THE GOOD OLD DAYS!"

Ive tried to think first of what would be best for Scottish football, and no doubt someone else outwith the OF winning the league would be a shot in the arm.

But ......NOPE.............If its not us, then feck Scottish football and let the OF have it.

How harsh a blow would it be for the OF to be so bad that neither of them won the league but the someone else that won it wasnt HMFC..................shudderingly bad just thinking about it.

ABH.

Anyone But Hibs.

Generally I don't think I'd care if another team split the Old Firm. Mostly because it may encourage fans to return to some clubs and stop the hemorrhaging of new fans to the Old Firm.

When they talk about things going wrong in Scottish football one of the biggest tragedies is where kids decide to pick either Rangers or Celtic as their club because they are the top two teams instead of a local club or one their father/grandfather etc supported.

I would be happy to see a non-of team split the old firm, though unsure how I would feel if it was Hibs.

^this^

i hoped dundee united would do it a couple of years ago

I'd be jealous if another team did this rather than us, and I'd have a long list of preferences, in a 1-9 rating (I'll let you guess who'd be last)but, hell yeah.

I'd take anybody to snatch away glory from those two clubs.

Perhaps a little petty but I'd like to see anyone do it other than Hibs, mostly because I don't want them to achieve anywhere near the same things we do. But I don't feel bad about that - it's just rivalry. It wouldn't be easy to watch anyone other than us doing it but I would heartily congratulate them, if anyone knows how difficult a task it is then we do. It's a real achievement and could only improve the current state of things in this country.

Mind you, if I think back to the kind of coverage we got for doing it I'd probably be a little bitter to hear of people in other countries knowing who this other club are, sitting up and taking notice, discussing our league in their papers and asking visitors about it when we go on holiday. Not if it's not Hearts they're asking about.

All roads lead to Gorgie

As long as they were not too local. ICT would be ideal, not so close that we would have to listen to bragging fans and unlikely to dig into our fan base. Dons though no thanks :down:

To be honest, I'd be happy with anyone but Hibs.

At the same time though, I get a bitted pissed off when someone else wins the Cup. If we dont win it, then I dont mind the OF winning it.

In all honesty though, if there were 2-3 clubs who somehow got the luck to get a team together to challenge and take enough points off the OF to make it an exciting league, then it would be great. After all, even with us doing well and making it 3 teams in it this year - it is still pish for the other 9 teams in the league.

I can honestly understand the Sainties fans thoughts though. Their team is so pish they have to wallow in others defeats rather than look for excitement and happiness in their own results.

Defiantly like to see someone split or better the OF! I'm sick of every season being a two horse race. And it would only benefit Scottish football to have a few other teams challenging for the league.

Craig Herbertson

Defiantly like to see someone split or better the OF! I'm sick of every season being a two horse race. And it would only benefit Scottish football to have a few other teams challenging for the league.

Anyone would do for me. But if I had a real choice I'd stick with Hearts winning it every year and other teams being allowed to make it look briefly interesting near the end. Might even allow for a few shock cup victories from smaller teams just to give the illusion that there was a competition.

Seems to many people are anti OF rather pro hearts. Why would I want anyone else to be successful or be happy that some other team had a great season. blink.gif

I would rather anyone else finish 1st and 2nd than the old firm.

The exception being hibs. I would allow hibs to finish 2nd on the condition that Hearts were 1st!!

a) Not give a stuff

B) Hope that they failed

A)

Who are StJohnstone? I remember their players getting all high and mighty before playing us back in the 98/99 season because they were challenging for 3rd. Have they done that consistently? Pashy wee club who had a day in the sun.

What i find about alot of other clubs fans is they know **** all about other clubs history. Hearts believe one day we could do it because we`ve came close in the past and are the only club, Aberdeen aside, in the last 25 odd years to put up a genuine fight to the OF.

And more to the point, i`d HATE another club to be the ones who toppled the OF. More than any other club we`ve looked the more likely to do it and it would be horrible for some other club to have a one-off wonder season and take the kudos.

Let the small clubs remain with their small minds, thats what i say.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Good thread.

As long as it wasn't the vermin, I'd be content about it but, as bighusref outlined, I would be envious as hell as I perceive the proper challengers to the gruesomes to be us.

Well it seems that there are quite number of Hearts fans on this thread that would 'be happy to see' Hibs win the league.

The consequenses of such an (unlikely) event would haunt most Hearts fans for at least an entire generation, relegating our status in Scottish football, leaving most of us feeling utterly despondent.

...but as long as the rest of your are 'happy'. Would you throw an anti-Old Firm party to celebrate?

Look at the way Dundee Utd fans are still celebrating their 1983 title, still singing to Dundee fans:

'We won the league at Dens, fly the flag, fly the flag.'

...and singing to us:

'We won the league at Dens, fly the flag, fly the flag. You lost the league at Dens...'; an empirical example of the continued consequences of a sole league success.

Even if Hibs were to win the league, it would almost certainly be back to normality for the Old Firm after that. The Old Firm wouldn't crumble after one title loss, but we as Hearts fans would have to endure this legacy for at least 30 years, probably more - our modern day seven nil and Albert Kidd rolled into one times a thousand.

Small beer as it is, we at least have the crumb of comfort knowing that we are best of the rest, the one that dreams of challenging for titles.

Why would you give that up?

Think about it.

Mac_fae_Gillie

Hate myself but I prefer we split O/F or no one...

same as we win cup or o/f cuss if o/f win its another nothing year,but if aberdeen were to win then bragging rights do exist.

I hate myself cuss I want o/f to fail but im more inclined towards our success,and becoming Scotlands 4th club is downward move for us.

Charlie-Brown

The 3 Scottish teams I hate seeing winning trophies is naturally Hibs, Rangers & Celtic although the latter 2 is acceptable if it means beating Hibs, anybody else winning a trophy is a triumph for Scottish football against Old Firm domination unless of course they beat us in a final or pip us to the title but in general Aberdeen, Dundee Utd, Raith Rovers, Livingston etc winning trophies - beating Hibs & the Old Firm etc was a good thing for Scottish Football and didn't harm us so I quite enjoyed them winning. Who couldn't enjoy Raith beating Celtic & Livi beating Hibs in Cup Finals or Fergies Aberdeen or McLean's United dishing out hammerings to Rangers & Celtic when they were winning & challenging for titles.

The 3 Scottish teams I hate seeing winning trophies is naturally Hibs, Rangers & Celtic although the latter 2 is acceptable if it means beating Hibs, anybody else winning a trophy is a triumph for Scottish football against Old Firm domination unless of course they beat us in a final or pip us to the title but in general Aberdeen, Dundee Utd, Raith Rovers, Livingston etc winning trophies - beating Hibs & the Old Firm etc was a good thing for Scottish Football and didn't harm us so I quite enjoyed them winning. Who couldn't enjoy Raith beating Celtic & Livi beating Hibs in Cup Finals or Fergies Aberdeen or McLean's United dishing out hammerings to Rangers & Celtic when they were winning & challenging for titles.

Quite a number of Hearts fans, apparently. The dead hand of the Old Firm winning everything seems to be preferable to variety and real competition. It's a funny old world.

Quite a number of Hearts fans, apparently. The dead hand of the Old Firm winning everything seems to be preferable to variety and real competition. It's a funny old world.

Suppose there are certain parameters. I don`t mind seeing the Raiths or other small clubs in the country winning a cup...but whenever do they?

As for the title, which is the main point, theres no way in this world i`d like to see a club other than Hearts be the team to stop the OF dominance.(see BB`s post, good point made imo.)

We can cry all day about the boredom of the OF winning all the time or pray for variety in the winners but that won`t change anything, its about being good enough and making it happen for real.

In fact, one of the reasons i always get a bit overly upset at our early cup exits is the the thought it leaves a chance for Dundee Utd, Motherwell or other non-OF teams of their like when we should be making a far better fist of cup performances and getting to more finals.

Archived