Gary Glen

All roads lead to Gorgie

All roads lead to Gorgie

Firstly I thought Gary Glen did his bit for the team today with one or two tidy lay-offs and willingness to battle. However, I wish he would gamble a bit more and try to get on the end of flick-ons which David Obua( yes I Know ready to be shot down and all that) was providing on a few occasions today. Maybe he should watch old vids of Robbo playing off Sandy Clark, Adam off Hamilton etc to see that you have to be on the move as the centre forward heads it on. ST Johnstone were not playing the offside trap well today and on one or two occasions he was level with Obua but did not gamble and missed the chance to get onto the ball beyond the last man. He can do better in this aspect of his game. :ermm: Any thoughts.

I'm almost always positive when it comes to hearts and hearts players, but Glen gives us nothing. He constantly looks tired, he is slow, he doesn't look like an athlete, and he doesn't seem to know what runs to make. If it came to it, I'd rather have Elliot on the park

I would really like Glen to succeed, but I can't see it. As has been said, he's always half a yard behind play and doesn't look like the player he could be. I'm not filled with hope he's going to change, sadly.

Skivingatwork

Agree with the OP.

Once read an interview with Gary Lineker where he was talking about just that - gambling.

Said that as a striker you will make a run in hope about 50 times during a game and the ball will never arrive 49 times.

The one time that it does, you score and are the hero!

Get the Robbo, McCoist and Lineker DVDs out for Gary as those players never stood still in the box waiting.

Think he would benefit from a loan spell,for me he lacks pace and ability to read the game honestly don't think he's SPL material.

All roads lead to Gorgie

I'm almost always positive when it comes to hearts and hearts players, but Glen gives us nothing. He constantly looks tired, he is slow, he doesn't look like an athlete, and he doesn't seem to know what runs to make. If it came to it, I'd rather have Elliot on the park

I know what you mean. I saw him make his debut ( at least I think it was) down at Killie and he looked bright and lively then. I don't know whats happened since but then Robbo was not exactly an athlete in build but what a player. If Glen could learn from him he could still be a success. JJ sees something there. Jury is still out on my part.

Nope not for me thanks he cannot seem to anticipate were to be for knock downs etc ala Robbo or any other good striker. Maybe a spell on loan might do him good but IMO i doubt it.

Like others I'm desperate to see him make it with Hearts, totally agree that he doesn't get beyond the target man often enough and certainly needs to improve fitness.a spell on loan is the answer ,run of games and a few goals and we could have the penalty box striker we need

I think he has the ability to be a good player but his attitude stinks. After not gambling when Obua played a header into the danger area he got a ticking off from JJ, I kind of got the feeling he gave JJ a bit backchat, he seems to be the type of player who will blame all around him but never admit he was in the wrong.

I think he has the ability to be a good player but his attitude stinks. After not gambling when Obua played a header into the danger area he got a ticking off from JJ, I kind of got the feeling he gave JJ a bit backchat, he seems to be the type of player who will blame all around him but never admit he was in the wrong.

What do you mean by "you kind of got the feeling he gave jj a bit of backchat"

Also why do you think "he seems to be the type of player...etc" ?

What do you mean by "you kind of got the feeling he gave jj a bit of backchat"

Also why do you think "he seems to be the type of player...etc" ?

By watching him at todays game, I hope I'm incorrect.

By watching him at todays game, I hope I'm incorrect.

Aye, I gathered that much but he either gave jj backchat or he didn't and I watched today's game and didn't see any signs of him blaming anyone else so I was just curious as to how your suspicions of his poor attitude arose.

Aye, I gathered that much but he either gave jj backchat or he didn't and I watched today's game and didn't see any signs of him blaming anyone else so I was just curious as to how your suspicions of his poor attitude arose.

When Obua played a header into the penalty area Glen never seemed to really 'go' for it, from what I seen JJ had a go at him for it and he seemed to react by shouting back to JJ, maybe I'm completely wrong though as I'm sure if it was anything serious JJ would have subbed him at half time. As I said I'd love to see Glen make it at Hearts and really hope he does.

When Obua played a header into the penalty area Glen never seemed to really 'go' for it, from what I seen JJ had a go at him for it and he seemed to react by shouting back to JJ, maybe I'm completely wrong though as I'm sure if it was anything serious JJ would have subbed him at half time. As I said I'd love to see Glen make it at Hearts and really hope he does.

Never noticed that. Cheers.

portobellojambo1

There was only one incident I noticed today where I thought he probably took the wrong option. We broke down the left hand side, and Santana was coming into play from around the 18 yard line and Glen was towards the far side of the box from play.

I would have preferred it if he had taken up a position somewhere around about the penalty spot, giving the person crossing the ball the option to keep it on the deck (I remember the incident from start to finish but for some reason I cannot remember if it was Lee Wallace or Rudi Skacel delivering the ball) but he made his way towards the back post. When the cross came in it was intercepted rather easily by the goalkeeper as a result.

Apart from that I thought he did reasonably well first half, he did a lot of closing down, and he was always looking to bring others into play. Unfortunately for most of the time he was on the park he had no immediate support, and I still cannot remember seeing all these head flicks on from David Obua that he apparently kept missing or misreading. The only person that seemed to be developing anything up front in the air was Glen strangely enough, his headers found their target, and the players didn't have to guess where they were going or be a 100 metre sprinter to get anywhere near them.

I'd like to see him get a chance up top with Kevin Kyle, a target man that talks to the players around him and who the team have confidence in. I also thought Gary Glen done well against Kilmarnock when up front second half with Stephen Elliott. The ball was kept on the deck, played about quickly between he, Elliott and the wide men. I was surprised we didn't go down that route today, given how ineffective we were against St Johnstone in the cup tie, where we resorted to humping it up the park more often than not.

I think anticipation is definitely a problem for GG. Even when we don't have the ball it's a problem. He always waits for the opposing defender to receive the ball before he moves to close them down rather than reading the play, assuming the ball will come to the defender and then putting himself in a better position to put the defender under pressure quicker. This was especially noticeable today when St Johnstone had throw ins deep in their own half.

That said, I thought he was decent today and definitely offers more up top than Stevo.

There was only one incident I noticed today where I thought he probably took the wrong option. We broke down the left hand side, and Santana was coming into play from around the 18 yard line and Glen was towards the far side of the box from play.

I would have preferred it if he had taken up a position somewhere around about the penalty spot, giving the person crossing the ball the option to keep it on the deck (I remember the incident from start to finish but for some reason I cannot remember if it was Lee Wallace or Rudi Skacel delivering the ball) but he made his way towards the back post. When the cross came in it was intercepted rather easily by the goalkeeper as a result.

Apart from that I thought he did reasonably well first half, he did a lot of closing down, and he was always looking to bring others into play. Unfortunately for most of the time he was on the park he had no immediate support, and I still cannot remember seeing all these head flicks on from David Obua that he apparently kept missing or misreading. The only person that seemed to be developing anything up front in the air was Glen strangely enough, his headers found their target, and the players didn't have to guess where they were going or be a 100 metre sprinter to get anywhere near them.

I'd like to see him get a chance up top with Kevin Kyle, a target man that talks to the players around him and who the team have confidence in. I also thought Gary Glen done well against Kilmarnock when up front second half with Stephen Elliott. The ball was kept on the deck, played about quickly between he, Elliott and the wide men. I was surprised we didn't go down that route today, given how ineffective we were against St Johnstone in the cup tie, where we resorted to humping it up the park more often than not.

He won a lot in the first half.All fell into the keepers hand,but this being kickback that seems to be Glens fault not Obua's. :lol:

Title should read - Should Practice More

title should read "re-instate reserve league"

it is what our , and all other teams , youngsters need.

it gives the bench warmers match practice

He won a lot in the first half.All fell into the keepers hand,but this being kickback that seems to be Glens fault not Obua's. :lol:

I think its a fair point that there were one or two that a natural striker on form might have got to before the keeper/defender.

I really wish Gary Glen was good, really I do but he looked yards off SPL pace today and offers nothing. Now I dont know if its a fitness thing, a weight thing, an attitude thing, a confidence thing, a young thing, or a just not good enough thing with Gary Glen, but whatever thing it is, he's got until the end of the season to find it and fix it IMO, or he'll be gone.

I think its a fair point that there were one or two that a natural striker on form might have got to before the keeper/defender.

I really wish Gary Glen was good, really I do but he looked yards off SPL pace today and offers nothing. Now I dont know if its a fitness thing, a weight thing, an attitude thing, a confidence thing, a young thing, or a just not good enough thing with Gary Glen, but whatever thing it is, he's got until the end of the season to find it and fix it IMO, or he'll be gone.

Agree with all of that,its the Obua did well because he tried a bit harder than normal bit i cannot handle. :down:

Occassionally the ball hits Obua's head when he has been unable to hide from it. He and nobody else has any idea where it is going to go. Criticising a player for not anticipating where it might fall after it hits Obua is ridiculous. Did not see any sign that Elliott or anyone else was able to anticipate these second balls.

I thought Glen worked hard to link the play and made both better layoffs and headed flicks on than Obua did yesterday. He has not yet had a chance to play with Kyle and that will make a big difference to his game when he does.

I kinda agree with this, but felt we needed more from him.

However, Gary Glen needs to take chances when given a starting jersey. We need to be sitting here saying "Glen must start next week" and being impressed.

We have a few attacking players doing well in our side and have been in good form, if reserve strikers don't perform when given the chance, they cannot complain when they watch from the sidelines.

If he was at Tynie playing for another SPL team would you be worried about his goal threat?

Nah - Me neither.

Loan spell required to East Fife.

Firstly I thought Gary Glen did his bit for the team today with one or two tidy lay-offs and willingness to battle. However, I wish he would gamble a bit more and try to get on the end of flick-ons which David Obua( yes I Know ready to be shot down and all that) was providing on a few occasions today. Maybe he should watch old vids of Robbo playing off Sandy Clark, Adam off Hamilton etc to see that you have to be on the move as the centre forward heads it on. ST Johnstone were not playing the offside trap well today and on one or two occasions he was level with Obua but did not gamble and missed the chance to get onto the ball beyond the last man. He can do better in this aspect of his game. :ermm: Any thoughts.

He doesn`t run across defenders. A couple of times in the first half he could see Rudi had time to look up and whip the ball across the box...thats when he should be automatically running across the defender....doesn`t switch on quick enough and as said, any gambling he does always comes too late...

Must be the most frustrating Hearts player. As others have said I really want to like him but he just frustrates me. Seems to take the wrong option too much times and more annoyingly he doesn't anticipate any balls.

Toxteth O'Grady

He had a good shooting chance and decided to pass it to Rudi, if he had any confidence he would have taken the chance.

Where was he when Scacel scored? A mile behind play.

A loan spell is required I'd say.

Drylaw Hearts

Gary Glen ?

Meh.

He's got about 15 matches to prove he's worthy of a place in the starting XI.

If he isn't up to it - a parting of the ways would be for the best.

He could be used as a part of some players/cash transfer.

He'll probably end up at Falkirk.

He had a good shooting chance and decided to pass it to Rudi, if he had any confidence he would have taken the chance.

Where was he when Scacel scored? A mile behind play.

A loan spell is required I'd say.

That's a bit harsh ain't it? Thought it was him that passed to Creepy Craig who set up the goal.

That's a bit harsh ain't it? Thought it was him that passed to Creepy Craig who set up the goal.

Nope Suso won the header from Kello's kick out and Thomson crossed for Rudi to score.

And what's with the Creepy Craig shit? That's the sort of crap you'd expect from a hobo

Nope Suso won the header from Kello's kick out and Thomson crossed for Rudi to score.

And what's with the Creepy Craig shit? That's the sort of crap you'd expect from a hobo

My mistake I thought it was Glen.

Only kidding about the Creepy one :lol:

Think he would benefit from a loan spell,for me he lacks pace and ability to read the game honestly don't think he's SPL material.

Had he not turned down 2 offers of loans in the last 2 windows? That tells me all I need to know about the guy's attitude...He clearly doesn't value the input of those coaches at the club who also think he could benefit from a loan spell.

My mistake I thought it was Glen.

Only kidding about the Creepy one :lol:

Aye didnt notice it was you who posted :thumbsup:

Back on topic the thing that disappointed me about GG yesterday was that despite the fact Obua's headers could have gone anywhere Glen was too static, if he'd made a run and the ball didn't reach him you can't blame him but too often he'd hold back to see where the ball was going and by then it's too late

Back on topic the thing that disappointed me about GG yesterday was that despite the fact Obua's headers could have gone anywhere Glen was too static, if he'd made a run and the ball didn't reach him you can't blame him but too often he'd hold back to see where the ball was going and by then it's too late

Trying to anticipate the outcome of a random walk is impossible. Best to stand still.

That said, JJ and GL were right to tell Glen to get right into the box. He was doing a lot right in terms of linking the play and working hard off the ball. But he needs to get some goals. He will look a lot better if he plays beside Kyle.

I just think he has no Heart.

A loan spell to a 1st division team would do him a lot of good but seems he isn't up for it.

Past his sell buy date its time to move him on with Clum & Mole and bring fresh blood through.The good thing now is that if we keep going over the next three or four games it will allow JJ to blood some of our young guns ie 20 mins of game time near the end od games.

Grumpy.

Players need a run of games. Man whats wrong wi youse folks? Some seriously dismissive attitude for a young player that has came through our academy, he cant survive on sentimentality that much is a given but as someone says theres no reserve league, he'll still need games, when has he ever had that?

Trying to anticipate the outcome of a random walk is impossible. Best to stand still.

That said, JJ and GL were right to tell Glen to get right into the box. He was doing a lot right in terms of linking the play and working hard off the ball. But he needs to get some goals. He will look a lot better if he plays beside Kyle.

The fact is he has to play the averages and take a chance if he makes a run into the box he's at least giving himself a chance to get onto the end of something

The lack of dynamism in Gary's play was highlighted when Steven Elliott came on and got in amongst the St Johnstone defenders.

I thought Glen did ok yesterday.

He linked up well with his teammates and gave them an option more often than not.

When he (and Suso) went off, the ball didn't stick as much up front.

Captain America

I thought he was our worst player yesterday, doesn't look a goal threat at any point. It may be lack of game time or a confidence issue but he looks like a different player from when he broke into the 1st team and looked a constant goal threat every time he played.

Didn't think he looked too bad. Think he needs someone up front with him who he can read better than Obua, credit to him for winning headers but no-one was ever likely to get on the end of his flick ons. They were either in the completely wrong direction or had too much pace on them for anyone to get on the end of them.

I didn't really think anyone had a bad game as such, but I think if we're going to play a target man it has to be up front and not on the wing.

As for Glen, I think he needs a bit of a run of games before we can really judge him because he's got to get used to the players around him and where to be for crosses, etc. It will come with time, that's if he gets it of course.

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
Trying to anticipate the outcome of a random walk is impossible. Best to stand still./quote]

I'd say he'd be better getting in the box, getting on the end of a knock down, than standing about on the perifiry waiting for something to come to him. That's how Skacel scored.

I'd say he'd be better getting in the box, getting on the end of a knock down, than standing about on the perifiry waiting for something to come to him. That's how Skacel scored.

There were a number of times yesterday when Glen's runs took defenders out of the game for the likes of Skacel to get space.

Rudolf's Mate

When you have a forward who cannot anticipate play then he needs to be quick or a damn right nuisance to make up for that. GG isn't any of these things and it ver hard to teach some let alone all of these qualities.

I would also like him to do the biz but people are continually saying he's got an attitude problem. Sorry but Clum works his socks off even if things aren't going for him and I don't want someone playing for us if it's true re their attitude and they can't really be ersed.

If he was foreign he'd be getting pelters off the fans a la Spanish Waiter patter. When was the last time he was actually good? Not OK, good.

Archived