The Worst Hearts team in a decade ?

vegas-voss

Jim McClean report of the Falkirk game in today's Star claims that the current Hearts side is the worst he has seen in this decade.Agree or disagree

Also Frail says the fans should lay off Elliot as he short of confidence right now.Well im sorry but if a striker is short of confidence especially a young lad is it not in his best interest to protect him and take him out of the side for a bit ?

Jim McClean report of the Falkirk game in today's Star claims that the current Hearts side is the worst he has seen in this decade.Agree or disagree

Also Frail says the fans should lay off Elliot as he short of confidence right now.Well im sorry but if a striker is short of confidence especially a young lad is it not in his best interest to protect him and take him out of the side for a bit ?

Agreed it is. Thanks Vlad. :mad:

As for Frail wish he would just sod off right now. Hes a waster. :mad:

Chad Sexington

I wouldn't disagree with his assessment.

We are truly dire to watch.

The only thing keeping me going is the hope that the place is being cleared out for a new coach to bring in a load of exciting new players.

Weren't we closer to relegation under JJ in '99? I may be wrong.

Aye but thats not in this decade, probably worst team in 25 years to be honest

Nelly Terraces

Add another 20 years to the ten and he'd be more accurate in his assessment.

Truly gash.

I would say this is maybe one of the worst teams in 40 years of watching Hearts. I know we have been relegated but there is something downright shocking about this team and the management I've never felt before.

Nelly Terraces
I would say this is maybe one of the worst teams in 40 years of watching Hearts. I know we have been relegated but there is something downright shocking about this team and the management I've never felt before.

Know exactly how you feel. Since the dark days of late 70s/early 80's, this current set of deadbeats and the god awful 'management' have to be the worst by a long distance.

Commander Harris

performance wise and as a whole, possibly. Individually, I don't think it is our worst collection of players in a decade.

The Old Tolbooth

As far as commitment, passion, honesty, integrity, hard graft, and just plain wanting to play for the jersey because it actually means something, this is the worst Hearts team I have EVER seen in 25 years!

Auld Reekin'

Agree. In fact, you could probably go back further than a decade before you'd hit a worse team.

I was thinking about this over the weekend, since Saturday's game, and certainly in terms of our attack this is the worst I've seen for a long time. I'd have felt more confident about causing our opponents problems and even scoring a goal or two with the likes of Derek Holmes, Graeme Weir or Wyness at centre-forward. Even when we we've had weaknesses in our forward line over the past 10 years, it hasn't been the whole forward line that was the problem, as it is now.

The ideal thing for Elliot at the moment - if the "management team" do see a long term future for him here - would be to regain his confidence and scoring-touch (:mw_rolleyes:) in the reserves, whilst a more experienced striker whose confidence levels are higher takes his place in the first team. With Nade injured, that only leaves Makela and he seems no nearer to a first team place in his recognised position than he has been all season.

Failing that, I'd throw in whichever centre-forward from the U19s (Glen?, Kostadinov?) is currently showing the best form. Maybe that's the answer anyway, as it seems clear that Makela was judged to be surplus to requirements a long time ago.

As regards Frail, even though I've been a pretty staunch defender of him this season, I think he* got several things badly wrong on Saturday which definitely call into question his abilities as caretaker manager.

For me, these were: playing with only one centre-forward at any stage of the game; bringing on Ksanavicius in the first place and - without doubt - allowing him to remain on the pitch for the rest of the game; and only bringing on Screpis for the last 2 or 3 minutes. For what was such a crucial game for us this season (sad to say) these decisions made no sense whatsoever and actively restricted our chances of getting the win were allegedly so desperate for.

(* If it is indeed Frail who is selecting the squad, picking the team, and deciding on tactics and substitutions, as we've been led to believe. If so, he's clearly out of his depth and his best efforts are just not good enough; if not, then the sooner he's allowed to resume a purely coaching role - at Hearts, or wherever else - the better.)

It's the worst team I've ever seen.

Even before when we've had crap seasons, we've gone down fighting with players who give it everything.

The last two years have been absolute murder.

Nobody seems to care, from the players right up to the head honchos at the club.

The Old Tolbooth

Actually, I'll tell you how bad it is, I really hope we dont qualify for the top 6 and Falkirk get that place, because I really dont want another derby game until a manager (if it ever happens) is appointed, and I really dont fancy being horsed by the old squirm yet again.

Normally I'd relish those games, but I'd be hiding behind the sofa if we were to meet them with that shower of pish we have now.

peebles jambo

i'd agree with that, i frail doesn't want us to get on his back, drop him, a unconfident striker is of no use to us, drop him for his own sake as much as ours

Seymour M Hersh

Worst for passion, desire, fight, playing for the jersey and teamwork without a doubt but for footballing ability 1-11 probably not.

portobellojambo1
Worst for passion, desire, fight, playing for the jersey and teamwork without a doubt but for footballing ability 1-11 probably not.

Unfortunately footballing ability alone, without any of the other attributes you mention, does not turn eleven men into a competent football team.

Player for player I think this is the worst Hearts side since the early 1980's.

I know that Tommy McLean's side was in deeper doodoo but when you look at both squads there's definitely more quality in the 1994/95 side.

Player for player I think this is the worst Hearts side since the early 1980's.

I know that Tommy McLean's side was in deeper doodoo but when you look at both squads there's definitely more quality in the 1994/95 side.

Totally agree. Worst Hearts side since we were in the first division.

We have some very good players and some god awful ones. If we got rid of Elliot, Ksanavicius, Stewart, Neilson and Zaliukas from Saturday, the ones who are left could form half of a very good team.

The team at the moment is poor but I still believe it all goes back to the lack of a manager. I am firmly of the belief that a McGhee/Levein/Jefferies/Calderwood jeez even fat Mixu could get the current squad playing better and more coherently than they are.

Yes they're poor but they are capable of better.

jambos are go!

Did we not win the cup a decade ago? When we lost 6-Nil to falkirk did Graeme Hogg not refuse to go on as a substitute? In most of 40 odd season I've supported Hearts the Dismal Jimmies have descibed the current Team as the worst ever so its par for the course. They get a kick out of misery.

I've been supporting Hearts for 25 years and it's definitely the worst team, playing the most boring football that I've had the misfortune to watch. Think the boys who enjoyed the 'glory days' of the '70s/early '80s have probably seen worse but they probably also saw more effort. Thanks Vlad.

chester copperpot

We've lost our best goalkeeper that we've had at this club. Craig Gordon.

We've lost our best 2 Centre Half's in the last 2 years. Pressley and Judas.

We've lost our best LB in 10 years last year. Takis

We've lost our best LM I've ever seen in the last 2 years or so. Rudi.

We've lost our best AM in the last decade last year. Hartley.

We've lost one our best DM in the last 5 years or so. last year Brellier.

Ok we've got Kingston. Hardly ever fit though/

We've lost potentially our best Strikers since Robbo. Velicka/Bednar.

You show me a team that can lose this many influential players, not replace them properly and still maintain a good team/

All together now. Vladimir Romanov. Thanks Vlad. We're being shat on from a great height guys.

rudi must stay

definatly not the worst imo. We were far worse in 98/99

Agreed it is. Thanks Vlad. :mad:

As for Frail wish he would just sod off right now. Hes a waster. :mad:

Unquestionably and it could get even worse next season.

chester copperpot
definatly not the worst imo. We were far worse in 98/99

Since when was 98/99 in this decade?

Edit - Sorry was an arse there.

john brownlee

I don't think so.

Many teams just like fallkick came to Tynie and played the ten man defence, over the past ten years and we got the same result, the same out come.

Far enough we are not world beaters but you honestly can't play good attacking football when you have teams determined to leave Tynie with a nil - nil result.

In the last ten years and even longer I cant remember when a Hearts team produced two good seasons in a row or was consistent enough to produce the goods in a full season even in our really good times we had some shockers stmidden 6-2 9-3 fallkick 6-0 and they were in good times and I'm sure that there were some other bizarre results

come give the guys a break I'm sure they are feeling the same pain as some of the posters on here seem to be enduring

:5643::5643::5643::5643:

Quite possibly. It depends on how much we are underachieving. I'm not sure we'll find the full extent of that until a new manager is installed.

Hearts teams that I've watched were massive underachivers more than anything else. How else do teams with Robertson, Colquhoun, Levein, McPherson/McLaren and Mackay and then a team with Weir, Pressley, Fulton, Adam and Flogel flirt with relegation?

Say a new manager comes in and does really well next season with a team still consisting of (for eg) Neilson, Wallace, Berra, Kingston, Palazuelos, Driver and Nade in the best XI along with some new signings. Even if the new signings are the better players, because they are playing well collectively the players mentioned would look much better. Then we'd be saying in years time, how were a team with Berra, Palazuelos, Driver etc struggling so badly?

Right now though I say, yeah, it probably is.

Skippy Doodle

two different problems.

1.the 99 team rested on laurals of 98 cup win and had cameron out for majority of time along wi weir and mccann leaving.

2.todays side lack ability and have a lot of players not fussed bout playing for jersey (ie number 29 and chesney)

so id say todays team are worse.we dont have a rousset,cameron or even a jim hamilton standard of striker playing

shaun.lawson

Excellent

1. 1997/8

2. 1985/6

3. 1987/8

4. 2005/6

Very good

5. 1989/0

6. 1991/2

7. 1995/6

8. 2002/3

Good

9. 2003/4

10. 1999/0

11. 1996/7

12. 1983/4

Average

13. 1986/7

14. 2000/1

15. 2006/7

16. 1992/3

Poor

17. 1990/1

18. 1988/9

19. 2004/5

20. 1984/5

21. 1993/4

Rank rotten

22. 2001/2

23. 1994/5

24. 2007/8

25. 1998/9

Weren't we closer to relegation under JJ in '99? I may be wrong.

We were bottom in late March.

The jouro also is one of JJ's best buddies.

Seymour M Hersh
Unfortunately footballing ability alone, without any of the other attributes you mention, does not turn eleven men into a competent football team.

I am aware of this PJ1 which makes it all the more frustrating!:107years:

performance wise and as a whole, possibly. Individually, I don't think it is our worst collection of players in a decade.

I would go this way too. There are players in this side that are vastly underperforming under a truly awful coaching setup.

Get us a proper manager with a proper coaching setup and I would suggest that most of these players would not look out of place at the top end of the league.

Charlie-Brown

1993-94 we avoided relegation on the last day of the season surely that has to be a rank rotten SPL season?

Whilst we have seen worse league positions of that upon which we find ourselves in now..... I'm still more unconvinced by this side than I have been about any other side i've ever watched.

Other teams have been 5h!te, but at least they gave a damn.

I'm 26, and i've been heading to Tynie for oooh, 15 years or so now..... this is the worst side i've ever watched.

shaun.lawson
1993-94 we avoided relegation on the last day of the season surely that has to be a rank rotten SPL season?

Not quite. It was unbelievably dull, but most of us understood that because of what was going on off the field, not a lot more could be expected. Clark blooded a fair bit of youth that year, and we did at least beat Hibs famously in the Cup. 20 draws in 44 games, mind: if ever there was an argument for at last getting rid of two points for a win, that was it!

The team at the moment is poor but I still believe it all goes back to the lack of a manager. I am firmly of the belief that a McGhee/Levein/Jefferies/Calderwood jeez even fat Mixu could get the current squad playing better and more coherently than they are.

Yes they're poor but they are capable of better.

The sad fact is that the likes of Neilson, Mole, Elliot, Stewart are NOT "capable of better"!! :sad:

I honsetly don't know if this is the worst side I have seen over the last 50 years or not. The dark days of Ernie Winchester and Spud Murphy are just a squalid dream now.

The trouble is that it feels like the worst team because we were all promised so much and expectations were built on a season where we won the cup and split the OF.

I refuse to burn my ST book or miscall Clum or Robbie but I reserve the right to play golf on Saturday afternoon.

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Since when was 98/99 in this decade?

Edit - Sorry was an arse there.

It didn't say "in this decade", it said "in a decade". I took that to mean the last 10 years, not the years since 2000.

chester copperpot
It didn't say "in this decade", it said "in a decade". I took that to mean the last 10 years, not the years since 2000.

It did in the OP's post. Didn't read the article.

Anyway, I apologised for being an arse. ;)

Hagar the Horrible

I think this is the worst team we have ever had! It is made worse by the remarkable fall from grace in just 2 years? We have been relegated with better players and better managers? 2 reason why this team have secured our SPL status is that there are currently worse teams than us, which there wasnt when we went down and secondly we are still running on reputation gained from Burleys team? each year passes this will diminish? And without a gretna, a manager and team fulll of players the standard of Elliot we must be favourites for the drop?

2 years ago there were only a few players in the SPL capable of getting a game for us, and that includes the OF. Now i would gladly swap our entire squad with anybody elses?:mad:

Since the split was introduced, would I be correct in saying we are the only team outside the Old Firm to have finished in the top 6 each season? That would tell us that we have certainly the worst team (points wise) since the split was introduced. It's the first time I can remember that we have had a negative goal difference and it's the most disinterested group of players I can ever remember playing (or not) for the jerseys.

Performances wise this season has been mostly lows and entertainment wise its about the worst I can remember. Perhaps when the players start showing they care about the club I might regain some of my enthusiasm. Just now I dread games coming because they are truly awful to watch. We are missing the following from the team - passion, pace, height, goals, and organisation. If I've missed anything, let me know.

Since the split was introduced, would I be correct in saying we are the only team outside the Old Firm to have finished in the top 6 each season? That would tell us that we have certainly the worst team (points wise) since the split was introduced. It's the first time I can remember that we have had a negative goal difference and it's the most disinterested group of players I can ever remember playing (or not) for the jerseys.

Performances wise this season has been mostly lows and entertainment wise its about the worst I can remember. Perhaps when the players start showing they care about the club I might regain some of my enthusiasm. Just now I dread games coming because they are truly awful to watch. We are missing the following from the team - passion, pace, height, goals, and organisation. If I've missed anything, let me know.

Ability ? It would be nice to see a side where the players have some sort of clue as to what they are going to do with the ball when they get it.

For me this is the worst team I have witnessed in 10 years.

Why? Well it's the word team that swings it. This lot don't know the meaning of the word and it's plainly obvious at times.

There is some talent there and fact is you can build a very good team around a core of good, skillfull players and pad it out with averge ones but we just haven't been able to do that and whether you put that down to players attitudes, bizarre training techniques, managerial mayhem, Vladness in general, laziness, tactics or all the above I dunno but something needs to change and fast...it's becoming an absolute chore dragging my butt to games these days...anyone remember when you couldn't wait for Saturday?!

Hearts fans have been saying "That's the worst I've ever seen" for as long as I've watched them.

We were bottom in late March.

The jouro also is one of JJ's best buddies.

I remembered 98-99 as being bad but I must have blotted out the bit when it got that bad. So I checked and yes indeed we years ago today we were narrowly beating East Stirlingshire 3-2 in a friendly having slipped into bottom place by losing our previous game to dundee. It would take two more league games before a good win against Dundee United got us off the floor. A strong finish (unbeaten in the last 6 games) saw us put a gloss of respectability on it

http://www.londonhearts.com/scores/games/19990320.html

Hopefull I'll have forgotten the goriest details of this season by March 2017

jambos are go!
For me this is the worst team I have witnessed in 10 years.

Why? Well it's the word team that swings it. This lot don't know the meaning of the word and it's plainly obvious at times.

There is some talent there and fact is you can build a very good team around a core of good, skillfull players and pad it out with averge ones but we just haven't been able to do that and whether you put that down to players attitudes, bizarre training techniques, managerial mayhem, Vladness in general, laziness, tactics or all the above I dunno but something needs to change and fast...it's becoming an absolute chore dragging my butt to games these days...anyone remember when you couldn't wait for Saturday?!

In the last 10 years we have had teams that have:-

• won the Cup twice
  • qualified for the Champions League,
  • finished 2nd a couple of times
  • Some great results away in Europe
  • Qualified for Europe regularly
  • Never finished out of the top 6

About as good as it gets for us apart from 1954-1960 IMO. You set your standards high.

CF11JamTart

http://www.londonhearts.com/scores/games/20001028.html

Gawd bless London Hearts.

This was the absolute nadir for me. A dreadful day in a variety of ways. The realisation that the events 16th May 1998 weren't going to be repeated anytime soon.

It was the fact that we lost to St Johnstone, but we got absolutely outclassed by them.

And some bright sparks in the main stand decided to give Mo Sylla verbals for being black. Nice.

Archived