Non forwards

All roads lead to Gorgie

All roads lead to Gorgie

After watching Ryan Stevenson struggle to get to grips with a striking roll, it got me thinking if any HMFC player has adapted to an unfamiliar position up front. The only one I can think of is Kevin " The Moose " McKenna who was a relative success in attack under Levein. I remember big Davie MacPherson being pushed up front if we were chasing a game in the last few minutes and Kevin James being used there in a European tie but no one else springs to mind. Can anyone think of others who made the switch from elsewhere on the pitch to a striking roll. :thumbsup:

When mckenna played up front he looked like a defender playing as a make shift striker and when he played in defence he looked like a striker playing as a make shift defender. Nice bloke mind, spoke to him a few times and always seemed a decent guy.

All roads lead to Gorgie

When mckenna played up front he looked like a defender playing as a make shift striker and when he played in defence he looked like a striker playing as a make shift defender. Nice bloke mind, spoke to him a few times and always seemed a decent guy.

Maybe we should have tried him in midfield :whistling: He was a top bloke though and always gave 100% :thumbsup:

All roads lead to Gorgie

I think Moose was a striker in the Canadian National team before he came to Hearts.

You could be right but I remember him arriving as a defender from a lower league German club. :thumbsup:

For a few games around early 70's we played Eddie Thomson (a classy centre back, in my opinion) at centre forward with some initial success but not a lasting solution )not least because we needed him at the back.

All roads lead to Gorgie

For a few games around early 70's we played Eddie Thomson (a classy centre back, in my opinion) at centre forward with some initial success but not a lasting solution )not least because we needed him at the back.

Did he partner Donald Ford at that time? Just a little bit before my time but I have seen his pic in A Pictorial History of the club. He looks a tall sturdy bloke and I could see him being useful up front :thumbsup:

Did he partner Donald Ford at that time? Just a little bit before my time but I have seen his pic in A Pictorial History of the club. He looks a tall sturdy bloke and I could see him being useful up front :thumbsup:

I can't remember if he was playing alongside DF. It was just a few games at a time when we were struggling to score (not an uncommon problem in those days), and it might be that Donald was injured.

Eddie Thomson and Donald Ford were among the few decent players we had then.

All roads lead to Gorgie

I can't remember if he was playing alongside DF. It was just a few games at a time when we were struggling to score (not an uncommon problem in those days), and it might be that Donald was injured.

Eddie Thomson and Donald Ford were among the few decent players we had then.

:thumbsup:

It's a totally embarrassing excuse as a tactic. If the only prerequisite is that you're tall why not just employ a Basketball player and be done with it.

Archived