Real Madrid v Mallorca

The Merse

0-0 at half time.

If it stays this way they'll be a full 6 pts behind Barca and I think that'd be game over.

Not playing great but I'd still expect them to grind out a win somehow.

Strangely Mourinho has dropped Xabi Alonso for the game tonight...

0-0 at half time.

If it stays this way they'll be a full 6 pts behind Barca and I think that'd be game over.

Not playing great but I'd still expect them to grind out a win somehow.

Strangely Mourinho has dropped Xabi Alonso for the game tonight...

Did you see the stories during the week about Mourinho falling out with Valdano and refusing to confirm whether he'll be at Real next season? Though I can't help but wonder how much that owes to him watching the managerial situation in both halves of Manchester: the red half especially...

Did you see the stories during the week about Mourinho falling out with Valdano and refusing to confirm whether he'll be at Real next season? Though I can't help but wonder how much that owes to him watching the managerial situation in both halves of Manchester: the red half especially...

From what I gather, its a mix of all of the above. He really does not get on with Valdano, he's still peeved he wasnt allowed to look after Portugal and if Man Utd win the league this year, I think he thinks that SAF will walk after setting the league title record.

They were talking about it in the commentary.

Apparently Mourinho has come out and said "not all of the rumours are true."

So in essence, some of them are.

He's been pretty animated on the touchline tonight too, bit more so than usual.

From what I gather, its a mix of all of the above. He really does not get on with Valdano, he's still peeved he wasnt allowed to look after Portugal and if Man Utd win the league this year, I think he thinks that SAF will walk after setting the league title record.

I could certainly understand why Real vetoed him helping Portugal. But him and Valdano - who likes to consider himself a football intellectual, and falls out with far, far too many managers there - are poles apart in terms of philosophy, and tbph, I think Fergie will walk if title number 19 is won.

He hits 70 next season, and with the way the EPL is declining year on year, they're hardly going to win another CL any time soon. Breaking the record would be the perfect way for him to go out; and Jose would then be all over that job like white on rice.

They were talking about it in the commentary.

Apparently Mourinho has come out and said "not all of the rumours are true."

So in essence, some of them are.

He's been pretty animated on the touchline tonight too, bit more so than usual.

A siege mentality between now and the end of the season, I suspect. Which might just work actually. :ninja:

I could certainly understand why Real vetoed him helping Portugal. But him and Valdano - who likes to consider himself a football intellectual, and falls out with far, far too many managers there - are poles apart in terms of philosophy, and tbph, I think Fergie will walk if title number 19 is won.

He hits 70 next season, and with the way the EPL is declining year on year, they're hardly going to win another CL any time soon. Breaking the record would be the perfect way for him to go out; and Jose would then be all over that job like white on rice.

I fully agree. If Man Utd win, I certainly think SAF will go. Bow out at the top and having the record. Would he stay around though, especially if Jose gets the job? It might cause *ahem* friction if the former stays in some capacity.

I think both Jose and Valdano fall out with nearly everybody. Its par for the course! :lol:

Know Man City are a different club now, and with that comes higher expectations and pressure, but can never understand the pressure that Mancini seems to be constantly under.

Man City are well on target this season.

Know Man City are a different club now, and with that comes higher expectations and pressure, but can never understand the pressure that Mancini seems to be constantly under.

Well, they are up to a point. But they're in a panic about how they're going to cope with UEFA's new financial regulations, which may mean they only have next season in which to win the title.

Beyond that, they're not assured of a top 4 spot yet: it certainly should happen, but Chelsea may well come with a run, and there's no doubting Spurs' talent. City have arguably been the least convincing of any of the top five, and still have a job to do if they're to at least achieve their minimum objective this season.

Well, they are up to a point. But they're in a panic about how they're going to cope with UEFA's new financial regulations, which may mean they only have next season in which to win the title.

Beyond that, they're not assured of a top 4 spot yet: it certainly should happen, but Chelsea may well come with a run, and there's no doubting Spurs' talent. City have arguably been the least convincing of any of the top five, and still have a job to do if they're to at least achieve their minimum objective this season.

They are going to be one in a long list of clubs on that score.

Least convincing? Not sure on that one. Over the piece of the season, they have been a hell of a lot more convincing than Chelsea, who after an imperial start have looked like the ageing side they are. From reports in the papers today, it would seem that the next part of the break up of that team is about to go in to operation.

Nearly gouged my own eyes out watching them against Villa yesterday. They were painfully shit, and extremely frustrating if you've got money on Overs.

At times they looked like they were trying to hold it to a 1-0 defeat. When they click, they are decent and justify their league position. But all too often they produce this rancid pish, and that's why they'll never win anything unless they change.

Nearly gouged my own eyes out watching them against Villa yesterday. They were painfully shit, and extremely frustrating if you've got money on Overs.

At times they looked like they were trying to hold it to a 1-0 defeat. When they click, they are decent and justify their league position. But all too often they produce this rancid pish, and that's why they'll never win anything unless they change.

Watched a bit of the game, it looked like in the last 15 mins they went for it and could easily have got a point.

Bad day at the office, but they will be back.

In a league where none of the top teams have strengthened and seem to be in decline if anything and whilst City have spent hundreds of millions and are still a fair bit off the pace then I think it is absolutely right that there are question marks over Mancini.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I can't see them winning the title whilst he is in charge.

To spend 400 million plus and set out the stall the way they have against their competitors for the title is just ridiculous.

They are going to be one in a long list of clubs on that score.

Least convincing? Not sure on that one. Over the piece of the season, they have been a hell of a lot more convincing than Chelsea, who after an imperial start have looked like the ageing side they are. From reports in the papers today, it would seem that the next part of the break up of that team is about to go in to operation.

Least convincing in the sense that Chelsea were at their regal best over the first couple of months - and the EPL being what it is, I wouldn't put it past them ending up in the top 2 again. City have barely played well at all this season, and yesterday was just another typical missed opportunity really.

As for the impact of the new regulations: I take your point, but City racked up losses of ?121m in their most recent accounts. That means they bloody have to get into the CL, or else; and as well as them insisting their spending is virtually at an end, it could well entail player sales for them to satisfy UEFA's requirements. They're certainly the English club who'll be hardest pressed to meet them.

I remember someone talking about the new UEFA regulations, and they wondered if there would be something stopping Man City having oil assets handed over to the club. That would create a lot of money and it would be their revenue, so what would stop them doing it?

In a league where none of the top teams have strengthened and seem to be in decline if anything and whilst City have spent hundreds of millions and are still a fair bit off the pace then I think it is absolutely right that there are question marks over Mancini.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I can't see them winning the title whilst he is in charge.

To spend 400 million plus and set out the stall the way they have against their competitors for the title is just ridiculous.

IMO they spent really daft money on players in Hughes time. You can rightly point out that some of them were not Hughes signings (Robinho). The signings have been of a much better quality since Mancini came in. Again you can talk about some of the fee's and wages, but City have had to pay top dollar to get guys like the Tourre brothers/Dzeko. I cant sit hear and defend the fee for Milner though.

Man City have beaten Chelsea at home/drawn with Spurs away/drawn with United at home and taken an excellent point against Arsenal in London. Mancini is not everyone's cup of tea, but that's not a bad haul against the teams which are up there. Sometimes he plays not to be beaten, its maybe his background - and maybe he will have to change his thinking one day.

They are not that far away IMO. When United camp of late 30 year old's finally go, that United squad is going to be really tested.

Least convincing in the sense that Chelsea were at their regal best over the first couple of months - and the EPL being what it is, I wouldn't put it past them ending up in the top 2 again. City have barely played well at all this season, and yesterday was just another typical missed opportunity really.

As for the impact of the new regulations: I take your point, but City racked up losses of ?121m in their most recent accounts. That means they bloody have to get into the CL, or else; and as well as them insisting their spending is virtually at an end, it could well entail player sales for them to satisfy UEFA's requirements. They're certainly the English club who'll be hardest pressed to meet them.

Not much point doing it for only a couple of months, Shaun. Its a long old game the season. I would expect Chelsea to pick up a bit, but it does not seem a happy place and the fact that Pienarr (sp) got a better deal withj Spurs and chose them speaks volumes for the investment that is going on at Chelsea atm.

As for the UEFA regulation...

I suspect that there is a bit of changing of the goal posts coming on that one. This is going to test just how much power and influence the top clubs in Europe have.

IMO they spent really daft money on players in Hughes time. You can rightly point out that some of them were not Hughes signings (Robinho). The signings have been of a much better quality since Mancini came in. Again you can talk about some of the fee's and wages, but City have had to pay top dollar to get guys like the Tourre brothers/Dzeko. I cant sit hear and defend the fee for Milner though.

Man City have beaten Chelsea at home/drawn with Spurs away/drawn with United at home and taken an excellent point against Arsenal in London. Mancini is not everyone's cup of tea, but that's not a bad haul against the teams which are up there. Sometimes he plays not to be beaten, its maybe his background - and maybe he will have to change his thinking one day.

They are not that far away IMO. When United camp of late 30 year old's finally go, that United squad is going to be really tested.

Not much point doing it for only a couple of months, Shaun. Its a long old game the season. I would expect Chelsea to pick up a bit, but it does not seem a happy place and the fact that Pienarr (sp) got a better deal withj Spurs and chose them speaks volumes for the investment that is going on at Chelsea atm.

As for the UEFA regulation...

I suspect that there is a bit of changing of the goal posts coming on that one. This is going to test just how much power and influence the top clubs in Europe have.

I just think they'll always be not far away whilst Mancini without ever actually doing it.

I just think they'll always be not far away whilst Mancini without ever actually doing it.

Honestly think there has been huge strides made by City this season..

Guess we will have to wait and see how close Mancini can get them.

Honestly think there has been huge strides made by City this season..

Guess we will have to wait and see how close Mancini can get them.

City have 45 points from 24 games so far. After 24 games last season, they had... 44 points. All that money spent, and 1 point improvement to show for it? They've scored ten fewer goals than at the same stage last year too.

Though that they're now 3rd - as opposed to 5th a year ago - just further confirms that the EPL is dropping in standard all the time. Incidentally, LP's question on oil assets is excellent. I wish I knew the answer, and would like to find it somehow... :unsure:

It's one of many good ones I have shaun. B)

Still trying to get someone to conclusively answer my "How the **** are Belgium producing so many quality players of late?"

City have 45 points from 24 games so far. After 24 games last season, they had... 44 points. All that money spent, and 1 point improvement to show for it?

Though that they're now 3rd - as opposed to 5th a year ago - just further confirms that the EPL is dropping in standard all the time. Incidentally, LP's question on oil assets is excellent. I wish I knew the answer, and would like to find it somehow... :unsure:

When you look at the players that were in the team when Mancini came in, and the turnover to what there is now. To put a group of players (no matter how good they are) and to pretty much make them gel quickly, I think that's shows them taking strides forward. Its slowly became Mancini's side.

cant be arsed looking, but from last season....

I'm pretty sure I read the games/points ratio from when Hughes left to Mancini coming in showed a greater games/points swing in old Roberto's favour.

It's one of many good ones I have shaun. B)

Still trying to get someone to conclusively answer my "How the **** are Belgium producing so many quality players of late?"

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2011/jan/16/young-gifted-belgian-paul-doyle?INTCMP=SRCH

Seems like it's just one of those happy coincidences football nations enjoy every now and then?

When you look at the players that were in the team when Mancini came in, and the turnover to what there is now. To put a group of players (no matter how good they are) and to pretty much make them gel quickly, I think that's shows them taking strides forward. Its slowly became Mancini's side.

I'm pretty sure I read the games/points ratio from when Hughes left to Mancini coming in showed a greater games/points swing in old Roberto's favour.

Mark Hughes was absolutely gash though so that's not a big achievement to outperform him.

I don't think they had a bad side at all last season but both managers failed to do a great job with them.

I think for the players they have they should be at the top, and probably clear at the top.

Also - the signing and then extension of a contract for Patrick Vieira is unforgivable imo.

Oh, it did. That's a big reason I argued in favour of Mancini until quite recently. It's just that, well, to me, they're really not progressing much: nowhere near as much as they ought to be. The Merse is being vindicated on this I think; and when you look at how average United are, and that they're romping away with it yet again while City flatter to deceive, it does beg questions about where Mancini's taking them.

Mark Hughes was absolutely gash though so that's not a big achievement to outperform him.

I don't think they had a bad side at all last season but both managers failed to do a great job with them.

I think for the players they have they should be at the top, and probably clear at the top.

Also - the signing and then extension of a contract for Patrick Vieira is unforgivable imo.

The great white hope that is Mark Hughes? You won't get the gig on Sky Sports firing those truth bullets.

thumbsup.gif

How long is Viera's extension?

The great white hope that is Mark Hughes? You won't get the gig on Sky Sports firing those truth bullets.

thumbsup.gif

How long is Viera's extension?

Haha. I really don't like Mark Hughes, seems a right dick, and found it quite funny when he got turfed out at City.

Think the contract extension was just for this season, but the guy is finished and they already had a plethora of holding midfielders.

Oh, it did. That's a big reason I argued in favour of Mancini until quite recently. It's just that, well, to me, they're really not progressing much: nowhere near as much as they ought to be. The Merse is being vindicated on this I think; and when you look at how average United are, and that they're romping away with it yet again while City flatter to deceive, it does beg questions about where Mancini's taking them.

Jesus man, they were sitting second in the table until before this round of fixtures. United look like they will win the league, but if they finish in the top 4 (I think they will finish 3rd at worse) it will have been a season of taking them forward.

United are not the side they were when Ronaldo was in the side, but they still are a very good side who have played with each other for a decent period of time. United are not an average side.

Haha. I really don't like Mark Hughes, seems a right dick, and found it quite funny when he got turfed out at City.

Think the contract extension was just for this season, but the guy is finished and they already had a plethora of holding midfielders.

Would agree that his best days are well behind him. Mancini knows and trusts him though, He will be away in the summer.

http://www.guardian....yle?INTCMP=SRCH

Seems like it's just one of those happy coincidences football nations enjoy every now and then?

I see the big clubs have invested quite a bit of cash. That's what I was really wondering.

This must've been in motion 10 or so years ago, and now it's bearing fruit. I was curious to know if this is down to a systemic change in Belgiun football or if clubs had invested in their youth academies.

Archived