the sexist Andy Gray & Richard Keys do a gordon brown!

tneafry

kingantti1874

Why not out of interest?

Well rudi wasn't offended was he, he laughed it off. There is definitately a line which should not be crossed but conversely, people waste too much time being offended.. It will never change, people will always say bad things, yeah if it goes too far then ok, people should be punished appropriately but for off hand comments - Na not for me-she will hear much worse as an official..

At fives people have called me a bald ******* many times, not in jest just because they don't like me... Am I supposed to be offended by that? Would I have a few people on here defending bald mens honour? I don't think so

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Freedom of speech?

Replace the word female for black and would it be ok to make the same comments?

Prejudice is prejudice in whatever form it takes.

Dont be daft, have you never made a joke about women with your mates? This is nothing to do with racism - and everything to do with whats wrong with the world these days, get a life.........

ps last time I looked we still did have freedom of speech, if its ok for the Mullahs to preach hatred in our streets then surely it's OK for a couple of guys to discuss a football matter in private!

Where has the tolerance in our society gone?

Dont be daft, have you never made a joke about women with your mates? This is nothing to do with racism - and everything to do with whats wrong with the world these days, get a life.........

ps last time I looked we still did have freedom of speech, if its ok for the Mullahs to preach hatred in our streets then surely it's OK for a couple of guys to discuss a football matter in private!

Where has the tolerance in our society gone?

But they werent joking. thats the difference. I felt sorry for rodney marsh and his poor toonami joke but they werent joking thy were actually saying that women shouldnt be in the game.

I wasnt private, they clearly did it in earshot of a lot of co-workers and had mics on, the should know better.

its not tolerance of us, its their intolerance.

Well rudi wasn't offended was he, he laughed it off. There is definitately a line which should not be crossed but conversely, people waste too much time being offended.. It will never change, people will always say bad things, yeah if it goes too far then ok, people should be punished appropriately but for off hand comments - Na not for me-she will hear much worse as an official..

At fives people have called me a bald ******* many times, not in jest just because they don't like me... Am I supposed to be offended by that? Would I have a few people on here defending bald mens honour? I don't think so

haha no sorry, i ment wy dont you think women should officate mans game.

Sterling Archer

Very good, but youre just completely ignoring the facts Ross put in front of you. you said its 95% men and its a mans game. these stats tell you that the number of women attending football each year is incrasingly rapidly andit is in fact no whre near as male dominated as you think. But you havent answered it at all

OK Maroonshrew, thanks for your support the other night, but as it happens in life - we disagree on this matter.

I concede the percentage of women watching is probably higher than I suggested. But everything else to do with Football is male dominated. Players, Chairmen, Managers, Referee's, Linesmen, Reporters and Pundits. How many women read a newspaper from the back first?

I still believe Football is a mans game, women are welcome to attend (as long as they support Hearts!) but I think this debate is Political Correctness gone mad.

Who on earth can honestly say they do not regret making a comment when they thought it was in private, only to be overheard? Would this furore have erupted if a couple of women had made a comment about male officials?

From one of my Gooner mates at, http://arseblog.com/...halves-and-rvp/

Sky have been ruthless before, sacking Rodney Marsh for an ill-judged quip about the tsunami years ago. Well, this is worse. Far worse.

Right, I've been admittedly happily mugging along and playing the daftie on this thread - but that above? Really? REALLY?

A joke about an event which claimed 250,000 human lives is less offensive than 1960s sexist Alf Garnett pish from a couple of smug arseholes?

If your buddy really believes that Deek, then he needs to re-evaluate things.

kingantti1874

haha no sorry, i ment wy dont you think women should officate mans game.

Ah right sorry mate, human nature is human nature, as soon as she makes a mistake the issue of sex will be raised by the crowd - no point in debating that as I think it is a fact, I dread to think what a lady Lino would have to listen too in front of N1. I just dont think it adds anything to the game - just an opinion.

No it's not, indeed they are but not at work, if you had done something similar in your place of work you'd be disciplined as well...what about this is so hard for people to understand blink.gif

Sorry to disappoint you Ross, but no I would not be disciplined.....

You cannot discipline the guy that owns the company!

Right, I've been admittedly happily mugging along and playing the daftie on this thread - but that above? Really? REALLY?

A joke about an event which claimed 250,000 human lives is less offensive than 1960s sexist Alf Garnett pish from a couple of smug arseholes?

If your buddy really believes that Deek, then he needs to re-evaluate things.

Rodney Marsh made a shit joke. The problem is that Keys and Gray don't appear to have been joking. That's why there's such a fuss being made: because their views are symptomatic of something much deeper within football.

Ah right sorry mate, human nature is human nature, as soon as she makes a mistake the issue of sex will be raised by the crowd - no point in debating that as I think it is a fact, I dread to think what a lady Lino would have to listen too in front of N1. I just dont think it adds anything to the game - just an opinion.

It's not meant to add anything to the game, it's not a ******* side show.

If she's better at her job than her male counterparts then she should be promoted to the appropriate level. We all moan about the standards of refereeing but a woman comes in and does a good job, better than some male officials, and we're asking why she's been allowed to do a "man's job"? blink.gif

OK Maroonshrew, thanks for your support the other night, but as it happens in life - we disagree on this matter.

I concede the percentage of women watching is probably higher than I suggested. But everything else to do with Football is male dominated. Players, Chairmen, Managers, Referee's, Linesmen, Reporters and Pundits. How many women read a newspaper from the back first?

I still believe Football is a mans game, women are welcome to attend (as long as they support Hearts!) but I think this debate is Political Correctness gone mad.

Who on earth can honestly say they do not regret making a comment when they thought it was in private, only to be overheard? Would this furore have erupted if a couple of women had made a comment about male officials?

If they were at work and they were saying someone couldnt do their job due to their gender, race or sexuality then yes i do.

Rodney Marsh made a shit joke. The problem is that Keys and Gray don't appear to have been joking. That's why there's such a fuss being made: because their views are symptomatic of something much deeper within football.

Gray and Keys are throwbacks - neither has been relevant (if they ever were) for over a decade. Are they actually symptomatic of what's actually believed within football?

And here ends the debate. :arf:

You may want or think its a mans world,and if you do, you are the dinosaur.

Well that may be the case, but I'd rather live in my world.

Better to be a Tyrannosaurus Rex, then a Meek- a- saurus........

Sorry to disappoint you Ross, but no I would not be disciplined.....

You cannot discipline the guy that owns the company!

Good for you, not everyone is in such a position, much like Keys and Gray.

And if you had female employees that took umbrage to your sexist comments (if you make any of course rolleyes.gif ) then you could face a very hefty lawsuit..

but now youre kind of saying it to protect her from abuse? She hasnt claimed shes bothered in this. So we will hinder her career becaus she will get abuse. It adds to the game if shes better than a male counterpart. Its as if youre saying it through chivalry not chauvenism which is admirable but i dont think women want our help, they just want ot be allowed to pursue whatever career they choose.

Gray and Keys are throwbacks - neither has been relevant (if they ever were) for over a decade. Are they actually symptomatic of what's actually believed within football?

Did you know Delia wasn't even allowed into Sunderland's directors' box because of being female? Then look at the incredibly misogynistic views of many players, which can be seen in their attitudes to sex scandal after sex scandal, and are being written about now by players turned journalists like Rohan Ricketts.

And frightening amounts of people in the game still believe a woman is somehow genetically disqualified from being able to understand football. You know and I know that it's total bollocks; but the lack of women in football has enabled such views to go largely unchallenged. When they're expressed by two figureheads of the sport, we have a problem.

kingantti1874

It's not meant to add anything to the game, it's not a ******* side show.

If she's better at her job than her male counterparts then she should be promoted to the appropriate level. We all moan about the standards of refereeing but a woman comes in and does a good job, better than some male officials, and we're asking why she's been allowed to do a "man's job"? blink.gif

How do you know she is not in that position because she is a woman? My father in law was a fireman, they had a drive to recruit more women but the physical tests ladies had to pass were less demanding than their male Counterparts - yes that's right, more able men were bypassed to up a % figure to show more ladies in the force.

To get back on topic an apology to the lineswoman-not the general public! Should suffice for Gray and keys

How do you know she is not in that position because she is a woman? My father in law was a fireman, they had a drive to recruit more women but the physical tests ladies had to pass were less demanding than their male Counterparts - yes that's right, more able men were bypassed to up a % figure to show more ladies in the force.

To get back on topic an apology to the lineswoman-not the general public! Should suffice for Gray and keys

which, to our knowledge, they have not yet done.

I don't know, but then I'm not in the slightest bit bothered about a woman officiating football. There's been enough people coming out in defence of the assistant in question saying how she's done a great job and deserves to be where she is. That's enough for me.

You're comparing the fire service to referees? laugh.gif

So your wife and her pals don't like football. Doesn't mean everyone else is the same, much like not all men like football. Nothing quite like a bit stereotyping eh? Much like all blacks are criminals and all muslims are terrorists? whistling.gif

Are all your comparisons so spurious?

When did Black people and Muslims figure in this debate?

I had no idea a couple of pundits talking off air could engender such heated debate!

Are all your comparisons so spurious?

When did Black people and Muslims figure in this debate?

I had no idea a couple of pundits talking off air could engender such heated debate!

A stereotype is a stereotype, be it religious, racial or gender motivated.

That's the point I was making as I'm sure you were aware rolleyes.gif

Good for you, not everyone is in such a position, much like Keys and Gray.

And if you had female employees that took umbrage to your sexist comments (if you make any of course rolleyes.gif ) then you could face a very hefty lawsuit..

A Lawsuit is not the same as facing disciplinary action, just in the same way a couple of guys discussing something off air - is not the same as slander............

I do indeed employ females who are just as valuable as male employees, I have never stated they were not.

We just differ in our attitudes towards what a couple of guys said in private......

Did you know Delia wasn't even allowed into Sunderland's directors' box because of being female? And frightening amounts of people in the game still believe a woman is somehow genetically disqualified from being able to understand football. You know and I know that it's total bollocks; but the lack of women in football has enabled such views to go largely unchallenged. When they're expressed by two figureheads of the sport, we have a problem.

I was genuinely surprised to read that, and then not really when I thought about it. I'm sure attitudes like that will be rife in golf clubs etc. But I dunno. I'm damn sure that given the figures provided earlier that football chairmen would never in a million years chase 20% of their paying customers out of the ground, so we assume that the "female pound" (hooray! Generic mangled term to pigeonhole a demographic!) is accepted. But let's be honest, I'm sure the chairmen couldn't care less who is actually filling the seats, as long as they are full.

At the base level of those actually participating in the match itself - managers and players - I suppose evidence presented could prove that Keys and Gray's views are fairly prevalent. We've had Newell and Heatherston as high profile examples of managers who've made their antiquated views clear, and it could be said lost their jobs because of them. But could we also not say that two (I dunno maybe there's be more) incidents, because they were high profile, aren't necessarily the widespread, commonplace view? Surely we'd see a lot more of these incidents occur were it the case? Or - are the views entirely ubiquitous and those involved know better than to air their desperately sad opinions?

Interesting.

Right, I don't like getting drawn into intelligent arguments on Kickback. It makes me feel like I'm contributing.

Who's for a game of Hungry Hungry Hippos?

Bagsy me yellow.

A stereotype is a stereotype, be it religious, racial or gender motivated.

That's the point I was making as I'm sure you were aware rolleyes.gif

Ross what you appear to forget is the fact I am not being stereotypical, I am dismayed that the incident has reached the levels it has.

I have never once agreed or denounced what they said, only that they should be allowed to express their opinions off air.

It says far more about the creep who thought the discussion should be made public, than the actual content of what was said.

kingantti1874

I don't know, but then I'm not in the slightest bit bothered about a woman officiating football. There's been enough people coming out in defence of the assistant in question saying how she's done a great job and deserves to be where she is. That's enough for me.

You're comparing the fire service to referees? laugh.gif

You be surprised about what people compare on a message board... See the rudi skacel thread, dearie mee... Anyway im off to my scratcher, may dream about Megan fox taking up refereeing and giving us a penalty to win the league... Maybe not such a bad idea afterall

I was genuinely surprised to read that, and then not really when I thought about it. I'm sure attitudes like that will be rife in golf clubs etc. But I dunno. I'm damn sure that given the figures provided earlier that football chairmen would never in a million years chase 20% of their paying customers out of the ground, so we assume that the "female pound" (hooray! Generic mangled term to pigeonhole a demographic!) is accepted. But let's be honest, I'm sure the chairmen couldn't care less who is actually filling the seats, as long as they are full.

At the base level of those actually participating in the match itself - managers and players - I suppose evidence presented could prove that Keys and Gray's views are fairly prevalent. We've had Newell and Heatherston as high profile examples of managers who've made their antiquated views clear, and it could be said lost their jobs because of them. But could we also not say that two (I dunno maybe there's be more) incidents, because they were high profile, aren't necessarily the widespread, commonplace view? Surely we'd see a lot more of these incidents occur were it the case? Or - are the views entirely ubiquitous and those involved know better than to air their desperately sad opinions?

Interesting.

Right, I don't like getting drawn into intelligent arguments on Kickback. It makes me feel like I'm contributing.

Who's for a game of Hungry Hungry Hippos?

Bagsy me yellow.

Fair point. My take is that, as with attitudes towards race, homosexuality etc, things are improving - but football is invariably behind society because it's so dominated by red blooded, often poorly educated, working class men. Though in fairness, the kind of attitudes you see in British football are nothing compared to those in, say, American football or ice hockey: the more 'macho' the sport, the more misogynistic the views of its protagonists tend to be.

Incidentally I.J - did you just use the word 'ubiquitous'? On Kickback? I can now die happy. :thumbsup:

Guess The Crowd

Fair point. My take is that, as with attitudes towards race, homosexuality etc, things are improving - but football is invariably behind society because it's so dominated by red blooded, often poorly educated, working class men. Though in fairness, the kind of attitudes you see in British football are nothing compared to those in, say, American football or ice hockey: the more 'macho' the sport, the more misogynistic the views of its protagonists tend to be.

Incidentally I.J - did you just use the word 'ubiquitous'? On Kickback? I can now die happy. :thumbsup:

Never mind ubiquitous - you've just dared yourself to use misogynistic twice in the one night.

Fabulous word!

Aye, but I didn't like it. It's not what the people want from me - they want chat about bums and bodily functions.

I've become so typecast, I'm Kickback's own Will Smith.

Ross what you appear to forget is the fact I am not being stereotypical, I am dismayed that the incident has reached the levels it has.

I have never once agreed or denounced what they said, only that they should be allowed to express their opinions off air.

It says far more about the creep who thought the discussion should be made public, than the actual content of what was said.

That 'creep' couldve been a female employee fed up of this sexist conversation in her place of work. Still a creep?

I get that you think it was off air not on air so its ok but two figureheads of British football coverage think women shouldnt officiate matches. That is a problem once it becomes public knowledge.

Politics was once a 'mans game' and if someone in the house of commons was overheard saying that women shouldnt be in the cabinet in a provate conversation then it is a problem.

That 'creep' couldve been a female employee fed up of this sexist conversation in her place of work. Still a creep?

I get that you think it was off air not on air so its ok but two figureheads of British football coverage think women shouldnt officiate matches. That is a problem once it becomes public knowledge.

Politics was once a 'mans game' and if someone in the house of commons was overheard saying that women shouldnt be in the cabinet in a provate conversation then it is a problem.

OK Whistleblower of any sex then. I have not mentioned whether I agree with the content or not. I did hear the conversation - not very good quality I admit - did they state women should not officiate matches? I didnt think they did. It appeared to me they doubted a womens ability to interpret the offside law. (as an aside I am not sure anyone really understands the new offside law interpretation!)

Regarding politics - then I agree wholeheartedly with you. Every single one of them male or female hasnt a clue how to run the country!!

Sheriff Fatman

I dont have a daughter, and don't forget it's still a mans world. Andy Gray and Richard Keys are entitled to express their opinions, I thought we still had free speech in this country, although listen to the holier than thou mob, I'm not so sure!

This is not a debate about equality for the sexes, its about a couple of guys being overheard. It is obviously a slow news day for this to dominate .....

Freedom of speech entirely relates to governments not being allowed to legislate about private citizens expressing their personal opinions. It has absolutely no bearing on employees of a privately run company expressing opinions that the company they work for decides is bad for their public image on company time and in a very public manner.

Freedom of speech entirely relates to governments not being allowed to legislate about private citizens expressing their personal opinions. It has absolutely no bearing on employees of a privately run company expressing opinions that the company they work for decides is bad for their public image on company time and in a very public manner.

OK Sheriff, this town aint big enough for the both of us - time for you to leave the country or learn how to interpret laws -Freedom of speech is the concept of the inherent human right to voice one's opinion publicly without fear ofcensorship or punishment.

This is from wikipedia, but don't let the facts get in the way of inane points scoring..........

OK Sheriff, this town aint big enough for the both of us - time for you to leave the country or learn how to interpret laws -Freedom of speech is the concept of the inherent human right to voice one's opinion publicly without fear ofcensorship or punishment.

This is from wikipedia, but don't let the facts get in the way of inane points scoring..........

Not that what you've written disprove the sheriff's point in any way, but can you point me to the legislation that guarantees a briton's freedom of speech?

Highly ironic coming from you :whistling:

Sheriff Fatman

Nobody is point scoring, but private companies are completely within their rights to dock pay, suspend or fire any employee who breaks their conditions of service. For most companies those conditions of service include doing anything that brings bad publicity to the company involved, and that is especially true of companies whose entire business is broadcasting to the public. If the matter happened on company time and was publicly broadcast then the company is even more likely to act.

Freedom of speech is not a right for an employee.

Freedom of speech isnt a license to act without repercussions though Gowest. For instance, would it be acceptable for me to approach a black man an say "you dirty n*****". Not it isnt. I could and should be punished for that, either legally or by him lol. but its freedom of speech right, why cant i?

Now yes this is a far more aggressive and drastic example. but the point is they have been derogatory to women. This is not tolerated by SKY. Their human rights are not being denied. People hide behind censorship and freedom of speech like it is license to say the most disgusting or offensive things.

5 pages and counting ! .............jeez !!

Aye and it's guys sticking up for women! JEEZ!!

Whats happening to this world, no wonder folk tell you to sit down at football matches now.

Gray and Keyes shared a 'private' discussion about women. So what. You telling we that everybody on here has never done it once???

Double standards JKB, DOUBLE STANDARDS.

Sheriff Fatman

Not that what you've written disprove the sheriff's point in any way, but can you point me to the legislation that guarantees a briton's freedom of speech?

To be fair certain freedom of speech legislation does come under the Human Rights Act that the anti-PC crowd want revoked.

If a woman was running the line on Wednesday night and Celtic scored a last minute winner and SHE didn't put her flag up for what we thought was a blatant offside, this place would explode. She'd be called everything under the sun and more and her position would be called into question because of her sex.

Everybody needs to chill the feck out.

To be fair certain freedom of speech legislation does come under the Human Rights Act that the anti-PC crowd want revoked.

Yip, but its not enshrined like in the first amendment. People often cite their right to free speech; outside being a way of excusing intolerance, its also not really true.

If a woman was running the line on Wednesday night and Celtic scored a last minute winner and SHE didn't put her flag up for what we thought was a blatant offside, this place would explode. She'd be called everything under the sun and more and her position would be called into question because of her sex.

but we arentpublic figures in British football and more importanrtly if a woman made a mistae as a ref yes id complain but it wouldnt make me call for women to have no place in football

Then we'd see a reply and there'd be a lot of sheepish folk. I await keys' and gray's apology.

but we arentpublic figures in British football and more importanrtly if a woman made a mistae as a ref yes id complain but it wouldnt make me call for women to have no place in football

That's where we differ, sorry. The current refs have no backbone never mind a wee lassie like the one pictured being intimidated at Darkhead.

I think it's ok in snooker though. I think women should officiate in womens games and guys for guys. Sorry I'm old fashioned that way.

That's where we differ, sorry. The current refs have no backbone never mind a wee lassie like the one pictured being intimidated at Darkhead.

I think it's ok in snooker though. I think women should officiate in womens games and guys for guys. Sorry I'm old fashioned that way.

Well thats not justold fashioned but sexist. Who says she will be intimidated. youre implying women can have no backbone. And its only football youre limiting it to. They can ref mens games in non physical sports? What about boxing? can they ref that? Or what about rugby? where the fans are less aggressive. That is where we differ i guess. I see that attitude as narrow minded.

Well thats not justold fashioned but sexist. Who says she will be intimidated. youre implying women can have no backbone. And its only football youre limiting it to. They can ref mens games in non physical sports? What about boxing? can they ref that? Or what about rugby? where the fans are less aggressive. That is where we differ i guess. I see that attitude as narrow minded.

Boxing and rugby??? Easy mate, you're taking this too far, darts aye ... maybe even dominoes. Yes I'm saying women have no backbone under these circumstances. A woman like Karen Brady would have the backbone but she's only like she is for all the wrong reasons and that's just to draw attention to herself, can't stand her.

Yip I'm narrow minded. Shoot me. I'd hate a woman running the line at Tynie, I'd never watch the match for looking at her.

Karen Brady is a ver succesfull business woma but for all the wrong reasons? Not to be successfull then? What are you on about? youre probaby right. That Kelly Holmes or Gladys Aylward probably only did what they did for a bit of attention or some c*ck. Although i think by saying that you think women have no backbone generally then youve undone all your credibility on the subject.

Archived