Should Hearts apply for the English league

Diadora Van Basten

Charlie-Brown

Heart of Midlothian are a Scottish football club and as such are 3rd biggest in our country - what advantage would derive from being just another club with another approx 40+ clubs being of equal or bigger size and potential?

Diadora Van Basten

At the end of the day I do not really want Hearts to join English football but what I did want to achieve was for people to compare the rather dull 10 ten team league we have in Scotland with the far more exciting 20+ teams that they have in England.

I think a ten team league is ridiculously dull and sixteen teams is the minimum that should even be considered for the Scot prem.

I think the various arguments for a ten team league are a complete nonsense, there are many ways up the mountain and I see no reason why a ten team league is more economically viable than a sixteen plus league.

First post, so be gentle! ;)

The Welsh clubs play in the English league because there is no professional league in the principality. I believe they are ineligible to qualify for Europe, however.

Hearts are a Scottish club and should remain in the Scottish league, in my opinion. That goes for the Old Firm as well - though whether Celtic are strictly Scottish is perhaps a matter of debate.

As for how Hearts would do in England, well I remember when West Brom attracted 13,000 every week and they're now a Premiership club. Hearts definitely have the potential to survive in the Premiership, in terms of the income potential (which is what it boils down to) - I recall 30,000+ at Murrayfield for the Champions League qualifiers, for example.

Complete nonsense. Cardiff joined the Southern League Second Division in the early 1900s and Swansea joined as soon as they were formed. Thats why they play in the english league, because they pretty much always have.

Cardiff and Swansea certainly CAN qualify for Europe, so could Wrexham. They cannot however, compete in the Welsh Cup, which offers European qualification.

as for Hearts playing in the English leagues? No thanks.

Toronto Jambo

It would be interesting to join the English league, but still have the derby as an annual fixture arranged through the two clubs. Either that or have other top Scottish teams integrated into England as well so there is that possibility for the derby. The reason I look forward to European games is a change from the same old 11 teams we seem to face endlessly. Maybe that's just me though because I'm in Canada and could never travel to an away European fixture. I have made the home games, though.

Also, what if Scotland and England shared the same leagues, but had different cups? That's how it is over here with Toronto FC and Vancouver Whitcaps participating in the American MLS, but playing in the Canadian Championship (our version of the Canadian FA cup) rather than the Amerian version.

Mac_fae_Gillie

I would vote yes...even if it meant going into Div2.

We 20th best supported club in the UK,that does not translate to gate because of the SPL been very poor and SPL dominantion.

We would be in the CC within 3years the average size of teams there is equal to Hearts at present with many well above us.

Most of the CC teams would draw a good home crowd for us and if we were only 1 of 2/3 to join the english league out of protest we would draw in more regional support as Scots representatives and some neutrals,doubt many neutrals attending our last hamilton game.

OK it would never happen but the present system and 10team league are just so 2 sided as to be destructive.

Even now with one hell of a lot of luck we are still 6points+ behind the o/f after such a winning streak thats very hard to take....happy to though.

I'm a Scot Nat but I would support a move like this as the game in Scotland is in dire straits thanks to the OF and the blinkered attitude of the SFA and SPL e.g. the 10 team league with 3 being relegated proposal. I think that Hearts would prosper south of the border. It would be great watching us progress through the leagues.

Archived