Potential for transfers later next week....

Whitecapjambo

Whitecapjambo

This caught my eye at the end of the BBC match report.....

"Prior to kick-off, Jefferies had said he would judge his team's ability to make a serious challenge in the SPL after the game at Rugby Park and matches against the Old Firm"

Can this be interpreted as targets were discussed with Vlad last week and JJ was told if we were in the position to challenge then transfers may be sanctioned, if not then wait till summer.

Makes sense to be honest, and good that we have the first part of it out of the way even if it doesn't end up with the squad being strengthened. I still think at the moment getting rid of some of the dross is probably of higher importance. 2 wins in our next 2 games could change priorities.

Thoughts?

I still think at the moment getting rid of some of the dross is probably of higher importance.

The thing is...you can only get rid of players by one of two ways. Paying off their contract or someone bidding an acceptable amount for them. The former makes no sense, while there is little the club can do to prompt the latter.

I wouldn't read too much into what JJ said - I don't think we will sign anyone. I'd love us to add another starting central midfielder, but I can't see it happening.

Think its probably just a sound bite answer from JJ to the question he was asked at the end of the game tonight.

"Can Hearts challange the OF?"

Having said that i would be amazed if the question of transfer funds being made available wasn't raised in Kaunas on Thurs.

What the answer is I wouldn't have a clue.

I guess we'll all see on the 31st.

We talked mostly on my side about the squad and plans for the transfer window.

"In terms of bringing players in, that will depend on whether a player we've maybe mentioned is available.

"But we're quite happy with the squad we've got.

"If it's something we have to wait until the end of the season for, we'll do that.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/spl/hearts/2011/01/18/hearts-unlikely-to-make-any-signings-in-this-transfer-window-admits-boss-jim-jefferies-86908-22857470/

I took from that quote more that JJ knew this was a very tough game, due to playing away at a good in form side, and with the injuries and that these were the kinds of game we would need to win to be challenging come the end of the season.

I think if we're right up the Old Firms arses coming near the end of the window, Vlad might well take a gamble and open the sweetie box.

I think if we're coasting along in a secure third but have lost a wee bit of ground and it isnt really on to win the thing then we'll be waiting till the summer. I'd expect another round of out of contract higher earners departing, and some players departing who have been here long enough to make an impression but havent and I'd expect a BIG outward money making transfer. I'd then expect JJ to complete his jigsaw with 3 or 4 incoming players of starting 11 quality and have his last proper tilt at the title next season.

Right now we're in a funny sort of position. Two wins this month (if they are against the Old Firm) away from being in with a real shout of the title or two defeats this month, (against anyone) away from having to settle for a very comfortable third place.

I'd love us to make a real statement with a high quality signing which would well and truly throw the gauntlet down to two teams who are shit scared of losing this league. Cant see it happening though

Whitecapjambo

I would be really surprised if something happened but IF we were to win our next 2 games Vlad would be right in thinking a little more investment in the current squad could yield greater financial rewards.

Would be a very interesting situation to be in.

I'll keep saying the name, JOHN SUTTON is out of contract in August, he signed a 3 year deal in August 2008.

?75k offer JJ!

I'll keep saying the name, JOHN SUTTON is out of contract in August, he signed a 3 year deal in August 2008.

?75k offer JJ!

That's not a bad shout - but is Kyle not expected to be back this weekend?

Archived