Levein or McGhee?

Martin_T

Who would you prefer as our new manager?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Who would you prefer as our new manager?

Well according to Mark Guidi in the Sunday Mail. Strikes me as a cynical ploy to arrest what I suspect will be extremely slow season ticket sales but anyway....

If you were given this choice, who would you pick? In my opinion, of these two, Levein is the best candidate by an absolute mile. Reasons? He has a proven SPL track record of consistently getting his teams challenging for European places and more often than not succeeding. Hearts consistently finished as 3rd top scorers in the SPL and usually had the best defensive record outwith the Old Firm. It is a myth spread by a certain clique of contributors on this forum that we played drab defensive football under his management, the stats show that we were rarely involved in 0-0 draws and if you remember the start of 2002/3 in particular, we were involved in games such as 5-1 Hibs, 4-2 V Motherwell, 4-4 V Hibs, the previous season 7-1 V Dunfermline, I could go on. He also has a close association with the club, providing great service as player and manager.

McGhee? He certainly has done well with Motherwell, but as the season has gone on they have faded quite a bit. His track record down South is patchy at best, sacked by Wolves, Millwall, left Leicester in the lurch, did ok at Reading and Brighton. He was on the verge of taking the Bohemians job in Ireland when the call from the Mothers came. All that said I wouldn't be unhappy with his appointment either...

Well according to Mark Guidi in the Sunday Mail. Strikes me as a cynical ploy to arrest what I suspect will be extremely slow season ticket sales but anyway....

If you were given this choice, who would you pick? In my opinion, of these two, Levein is the best candidate by an absolute mile. Reasons? He has a proven SPL track record of consistently getting his teams challenging for European places and more often than not succeeding. Hearts consistently finished as 3rd top scorers in the SPL and usually had the best defensive record outwith the Old Firm. It is a myth spread by a certain clique of contributors on this forum that we played drab defensive football under his management, the stats show that we were rarely involved in 0-0 draws and if you remember the start of 2002/3 in particular, we were involved in games such as 5-1 Hibs, 4-2 V Motherwell, 4-4 V Hibs, the previous season 7-1 V Dunfermline, I could go on. He also has a close association with the club, providing great service as player and manager.

McGhee? He certainly has done well with Motherwell, but as the season has gone on they have faded quite a bit. His track record down South is patchy at best, sacked by Wolves, Millwall, left Leicester in the lurch, did ok at Reading and Brighton. He was on the verge of taking the Bohemians job in Ireland when the call from the Mothers came. All that said I wouldn't be unhappy with his appointment either...

I never understand this point of view. How many journalists do you think are on the pay roll at Hearts who are willing to publish stories just to boost season ticket sales. Can you imagine Hearts/Vlad phoning the journalists tro say season ticket sales are low,please publish a positive news story about us. If anything they are more likely to go the other way if that happened!

Jam Tarts 1874

I would be surprised if either are our manager next season. I don't normally go in for the conspiracy theories, but this stinks of it.

If Hearts wanted Levein or McGhee we should have been approaching them long before now. The fact is that we have not made any approaches to Dundee United or Motherwell. This nonesense of waithing until the end of the season is rubbish. If Levein or McGhee want to manage Hearts, they should be prepared to leave their clubs now and Hearts should be asking them now.

I never understand this point of view. How many journalists do you think are on the pay roll at Hearts who are willing to publish stories just to boost season ticket sales. Can you imagine Hearts/Vlad phoning the journalists tro say season ticket sales are low,please publish a positive news story about us. If anything they are more likely to go the other way if that happened!

Journalists don't have to be 'on the payroll', Hearts can merely leak a story through a source at the club in order to generate some positive publicity. Remember the 'Robson on Hearts radar' pish from January when we were losing all those games in a row? Ultimately journalists exist to sell newspapers, perhaps more Hearts fan will have bought the Sunday Mail today, having seen that headline, than would have knowing the match report on their team today is about a drab 0-0 draw.

Italian Lambretta

The whole manager thing is fecking rediculous.

4 months to identify a former Hearts manager and another in the same league as ourselves as the 2 candidates.

I would have been happy to give that list to Vlad for free back in january. :confused:

Geoff Kilpatrick

Neither will be manager of HMFC by 30 June so this poll is completely hypothetical. As it is, my vote goes to CL, not that it means anything.

Drylaw Hearts

Craig Levein, for me, is by far the best option for us.

And I was told twice yesterday that Campbell Ogilvie thinks the same.

brellierlegend

I voted for Levein as I think he could turn this round very very quickly!

I would also take MM though.

Both of these guys have shown they can perform well on a shoestring budget. The way we are going it looks like the days of high wages are gone!

Craig Levein would be my choice. You only need to listen to his commentary on the derby games on bbc radio to realise that this guy is very much a Hearts man. He would get some pride back in to our team very quickly IMO.

Patrick Bateman

I'd happily take either.

McGhee's sides all play good football, I think its unfair to criticise a slide because their squad is paper thin and has obviously suffered from non-footballing reasons. I've been impressed by the way he talks about the club and football in general. I think he would be Romanov's first choice.

I'd love to see what CL would do to the wage thieves in our squad (see Makela) although my fear is that youth development would stutter under him as it did before. However, if Levein was to get the job, I think we'd have to tie him down to the club whilst also promising him 100% control over team and squad selection. Its obvious that Romanov would have to do a lot of convincing in either case.

Voted for McGhee. Been there, done that with Levein, did not enjoy it much first time round (it is easy for the op to remember the exciting games under Levein as generally they were few and far between and mostly happened at home).

In saying that i would hope if appointed he has learned from last time round and 0-0 away from home to Dunfermline with only one shot on goal IS NOT a good result for us.

He would imo have a budget/squad capable of challenging closer to the old firm instead of just keeping in front of Aberdeen/Hibs in third place.

Not my choice as manager but he would have my support if appointed.

One thing i think we would get from both managers listed is a willingness to use youth imo.

Destruction Derby

Would it not cost a bomb to get Levein since he is on the dundee utd board now or would he just resign.

Assuming he wanted to come here offcourse.

Patrick Bateman

If we do go for McGhee, hopefully we'd hoover up Ross McCormack in the process. No doubt people will claim that he's "not Hearts class" because he's not reached his full potential yet. Great set-piece taker and very clever player.

siegementality

I don't know if the powers that be have had time to whittle it down to two candidates yet, these things take time, give them a chance FFS!!!!:confused:.

Drylaw Hearts
Bertie

You have been wittering about this for months.

Give it up.

It's not going to happen.

You have been wittering about this for months.

Give it up.

It's not going to happen.

not only that, but its a crap suggestion :confused:

davemclaren
Levein. McGhee would leave after about 5 minutes

Hoe's been at Well for almost a season. :)

Levein's stated intention isn't to stay in Scotland anyway and his record for leaving us at inopportune times isn't great. :whistling:

Levein's the best manager in Scotland.

Not a chance in hell he'll ever work under Romanov. From the horses mouth.

rudi must stay
Hoe's been at Well for almost a season. :)

Levein's stated intention isn't to stay in Scotland anyway and his record for leaving us at inopportune times isn't great. :whistling:

well he left because he had no money to spend and he would do now. As for him being there a whole season, he'll probably leave in the summer and if he does that says alot about his loyalty

davemclaren
well he left because he had no money to spend and he would do now. As for him being there a whole season, he'll probably leave in the summer and if he does that says alot about his loyalty

It might say more about his ambition imo. Any manager will leave any club for the right offer. I'd be happy with CL but I'd prefer MM.

The Old Tolbooth

My worry is that if MM was to come here and do a good job, the first bit of interest shown in him then he would be off like a rat up a drain pipe!

In turn, that would have a negative effect on our illustrious leader who might just think, whats the point, in future I'll just stick to Eastern European imports that I trust and were back to square one.

davemclaren
My worry is that if MM was to come here and do a good job, the first bit of interest shown in him then he would be off like a rat up a drain pipe!

In turn, that would have a negative effect on our illustrious leader who might just think, whats the point, in future I'll just stick to Eastern European imports that I trust and were back to square one.

And CL has stated many times he wants to manager in England again, does that not indicate he would only see us as a stepping stone as well?

And after reading Leveins interview last week, so would he.

TBH i would be quite happy with that as it meant they were doing a good job at Hearts and that is something we all want imo.

rudi must stay
It might say more about his ambition imo. Any manager will leave any club for the right offer. I'd be happy with CL but I'd prefer MM.

it says nothing about his ambition if he comes here. As the league proves and the cup they have a better team than us

davemclaren
it says nothing about his ambition if he comes here. As the league proves and the cup they have a better team than us

Ambition isn't based on transient success but long term capability.

The Old Tolbooth
And after reading Leveins interview last week, so would he.

TBH i would be quite happy with that as it meant they were doing a good job at Hearts and that is something we all want imo.

A fair point by yourself and Dave, I think that I'd prefer Billy boy Davies myself.

Dirk Diggler
Voted for McGhee. Been there, done that with Levein, did not enjoy it much first time round (it is easy for the op to remember the exciting games under Levein as generally they were few and far between and mostly happened at home).

In saying that i would hope if appointed he has learned from last time round and 0-0 away from home to Dunfermline with only one shot on goal IS NOT a good result for us.

He would imo have a budget/squad capable of challenging closer to the old firm instead of just keeping in front of Aberdeen/Hibs in third place.

Not my choice as manager but he would have my support if appointed.

One thing i think we would get from both managers listed is a willingness to use youth imo.

Ditto.

rudi must stay
Ambition isn't based on transient success but long term capability.

and that long term capability is here?

davemclaren
and that long term capability is here?

Ye, we have more potential then Dundee UTD, all things being equal. :)

rudi must stay
Ye, we have more potential then Dundee UTD, all things being equal. :)

Dundee United?? You mean Motherwell?

bilston angel

Yes it had to happen, been expecting it, another carrot to try and con us into buying season tickets with a leak to the press, and eureka it won't happen until the end of the season.

They know the ST's won't move under present conditions, so another promise in the future with nothing concrete, well I for one won't be renewing until a suitable candidate is in place, and if I miss out then so be it.

Why can't we be like any normal team and just appoint a manager, not taking months?

Archived