Form is temporary but..

sirwalter

..class is permanent. Concerning David Templeton's most recent displays is the oft-quoted aphorism encouraging or disturbing?

Dusk_Till_Dawn

..class is permanent. Concerning David Templeton's most recent displays is the oft-quoted aphorism encouraging or disturbing?

Neither

He was playing at a ridiculously high level for quite a few weeks in a row.

It's dropped a bit but not to any worrying level.

He wasn't great against St Mirren but he scored and won a penalty.

He wasn't great against Hibs, the boy Thicot did a good job on him to be fair.

And he only got about half an hour against St Johnstone.

Only one performance that fully let him down since his return to the team early November. You can't play at the level he was playing at without being a bloody good player.

I think it was a huge mistake resting or dropping him against St Johnstone.

We have 4 high quality players at the club (Rudi, Wallace, Driver and Temps) and to start without the only available one of the 4 was not a great idea.

We have a lot of average and above average players but only 4 great players I think. Maybe I'm being harsh on Kello and Kyle but that's just the way I see it.

He should be starting every game at the moment, especially when Driver and Skacel are injured.

He was playing at a ridiculously high level for quite a few weeks in a row.

It's dropped a bit but not to any worrying level.

He wasn't great against St Mirren but he scored and won a penalty.

He wasn't great against Hibs, the boy Thicot did a good job on him to be fair.

And he only got about half an hour against St Johnstone.

Only one performance that fully let him down since his return to the team early November. You can't play at the level he was playing at without being a bloody good player.

I wouldn't disagree with any of that, but a wee nagging doubt remains. I listened to the Radio Scotand commentary on the Paisley match and chortled gleefully at the pundits' embarrassment in trying to justify their earlier criticism as Temps won the match. New Year's Day, however, his seeming inability to influence the game was disappointing. Then against St Johnstone he was really dire - the sublime first touch had deserted him and his attempts to shoot at goal were woeful. Hopefully he'll be playing and back to nearer his best at Tannadice. In Jim we trust..?

I wouldn't disagree with any of that, but a wee nagging doubt remains. I listened to the Radio Scotand commentary on the Paisley match and chortled gleefully at the pundits' embarrassment in trying to justify their earlier criticism as Temps won the match. New Year's Day, however, his seeming inability to influence the game was disappointing. Then against St Johnstone he was really dire - the sublime first touch had deserted him and his attempts to shoot at goal were woeful. Hopefully he'll be playing and back to nearer his best at Tannadice. In Jim we trust..?

He really was poor against St Mirren, the commentators were not lying.

Disturbing, as it's usually the line trotted out by the whining, slavering tramps from Fester Rd after another derby drubbing.

As for Temps - no worries. He's great.

I think it was a huge mistake resting or dropping him against St Johnstone.

We have 4 high quality players at the club (Rudi, Wallace, Driver and Temps) and to start without the only available one of the 4 was not a great idea.

We have a lot of average and above average players but only 4 great players I think. Maybe I'm being harsh on Kello and Kyle but that's just the way I see it.

He should be starting every game at the moment, especially when Driver and Skacel are injured.

The four players you identify are the very four that I would be considering if asked to identify some "class" in the present Hearts squad. I also like what I have seen of young Robinson.

Yes, that allied to what I witnessed in the two games at Tynecastle is what set me thinking and raised that wee nagging doubt. For the present, however, it is only that and I continue to see Temps as rich in promise. Perhaps the problem is merely that he set the bar so high for himself wit

h some wonderful displays.

yet to see any player yet who is at the top of their game all the time,to start his career at the level he has is a bonus and i'm glad to be able to see it in a hearts jersey :bravo:

He's a winger, it's what they do. To put together the 8 or so games he did was incredible. but all wingers suffer this kind of erratic performance.Even C.Ronaldo was criticised at United for not showing in certain big European games. He's gonna have some bad games and I think we have the luxury that JJ can protect him now and then. dont expect him to start every week, especially once suso and Driver are back.

Rudi is the difference.

Templeton was playing fantastically well - when teams had 2 watching Rudi. When Rudi is not there or playing through that injury it is much tougher for Templeton.

For me we don't have anything like a replacement for Rudi so I would play another shape of team when he isn't there.

Rudi is the difference.

Templeton was playing fantastically well - when teams had 2 watching Rudi. When Rudi is not there or playing through that injury it is much tougher for Templeton.

For me we don't have anything like a replacement for Rudi so I would play another shape of team when he isn't there.

Totally agree with that.

The formation we've been playing has all been about accommodating Rudi and it only works with him in the side.

Without Rudi it is just a bit of a mess to be honest.

Rudi is the difference.

Good point..and an interesting bridge to the thread concerning a team selection for tomorrow. Do we try to maintain the successful formation in the absence of Skacel? Whilst sharing your reservation I remain inclined to say yes. However Stevenson does not appear to be the man for Rudi's job which requires a quicker more nimble player - perm three from Templeton, Elliott, Novikovas, Thomson and Robinson playing behind Kyle. If the big fella is out too then it IS back to the tactics board.

Francis Albert

After his terrific run of form opposition teams were going to pay more attention to him ... and they have. Temps himself has recognised that he now has two players on him rather than one and he has to learn to deal with it. So do his team-mates, who have to learn how to take advantage of this. Like all wingers he will have off-days but as long as they are few enough or (as against St Mirren) he can win games even on his off-days then he is a huge asset (if only more players could have "mares" like Temps vs St Mirren). One things for sure, any opposition manager will be delighted to see his name missing from the team sheet.

For a large part of the game, I'd agree. But, football is a ninety minute sport and that day he set up our best chance of the first half, scored our first and won the penalty for our second. Templeton will not play fantastically well for ninety minutes, but all he needs is that one run, that one shot or that one cross and he is worth his inclusion.

Rudi is the difference.

Absolutely this.

At St Mirren, they just doubled up on Templeton as they knew that no matter how Stevenson tried, he didn't have that verve to create something special like Templeton and Skacel. If Skacel doesn't play, somebody else needs to help Templeton; That is our issue.

south morocco

For a large part of the game, I'd agree. But, football is a ninety minute sport and that day he set up our best chance of the first half, scored our first and won the penalty for our second. Templeton will not play fantastically well for ninety minutes, but all he needs is that one run, that one shot or that one cross and he is worth his inclusion.

Absolutely this.

At St Mirren, they just doubled up on Templeton as they knew that no matter how Stevenson tried, he didn't have that verve to create something special like Templeton and Skacel. If Skacel doesn't play, somebody else needs to help Templeton; That is our issue.

He can also though,create his own space without any help,go on a wee run ,and skip through 5 or 6 (cant remember ) hibs players then stick the ball in the back of the net at easter road,best individual goal ive seen down there for around 20years !

Archived