Callum Elliot

Charlie-Brown

Charlie-Brown

This is not a hate / player bashing thread!

Callum Elliot lacks the killer instinct & predatory reactions to be a goal scoring striker and therefore shouldn't be played as a striker.

However the kid is not without ability but he needs to find his correct position in the team.

Personally I think his best position might be in a withdrawn role playing in behind the main striker where he can get on the ball facing play rather than having to fight defenders for possession with his back to goal or be responsible for being the main goal threat because I don't think he will ever be a 15-20 goal per season striker. Possibly his best position is playing in front of a central midfield pair as an advanced or attacking midfielder linking with the main striker?

Maybe Frail needs to re-assess how he uses this player in the team - I think he needs to adjust his position and maybe use a few reserve games & substitute appearances to try him in this role & let him adapt to that.

Feck knows tbh. He seems to do alright with Nade, but mainly because Nade opens things up and gives him service. I think Elliot believes he's a 20+ man but is a yard behind where he needs to be at all times. Today was perfect example, did the work, could've got the goal but left it too late and the chance was missed.

For me though, it's dragging on. His goal per season ratio is like 1 or 2 max. Defenders score more than him FFS. Isn't good enough and I'd prefer to see Glen or Templeton get their chance than persevere with Elliot in any position.

Charlie-Brown
Feck knows tbh. He seems to do alright with Nade, but mainly because Nade opens things up and gives him service. I think Elliot believes he's a 20+ man but is a yard behind where he needs to be at all times. Today was perfect example, did the work, could've got the goal but left it too late and the chance was missed.

For me though, it's dragging on. His goal per season ratio is like 1 or 2 max. Defenders score more than him FFS. Isn't good enough and I'd prefer to see Glen or Templeton get their chance than persevere with Elliot in any position.

You could still play with Glen and Templeton AND Elliot if Clum was used in the role I suggested - Templeton could play in either of the wide positions but you wouldn't really play him through the middle as he is still so sleight and can play Glen through the middle or out wide - Glen could also play in 'the hole' as he's quite a versatile attacking player.

You could still play with Glen and Templeton AND Elliot if Clum was used in the role I suggested - Templeton could play in either of the wide positions but you wouldn't really play him through the middle as he is still so sleight and can play Glen through the middle or out wide - Glen could also play in 'the hole' as he's quite a versatile attacking player.

I'll add in Visconte too then, so Elliot is still benched.

Charlie-Brown
I'll add in Visconte too then, so Elliot is still benched.

Not necessarily... you could have Templeton wide right, Visconte wide left, Glen through the middle and Clum playing in behind. :)

Not necessarily... you could have Templeton wide right, Visconte wide left, Glen through the middle and Clum playing in behind. :)

What's that you say? Pinilla's recovered and ready to play? Sorry Calum.

Charlie-Brown
What's that you say? Pinilla's recovered and ready to play? Sorry Calum.

That'll be the day..... :)

That'll be the day..... :)

Technically if we're talking about Glen, Visconte and Temps getting a shot in the team it's probably circa 2020 so Pinilla should be ready by then. Though we'll still be waiting for that manager to arrive.

Charlie-Brown
Technically if we're talking about Glen, Visconte and Temps getting a shot in the team it's probably circa 2020 so Pinilla should be ready by then. Though we'll still be waiting for that manager to arrive.

Frail will be almost 50 by then so he should be experienced enough but if he isn't cutting it then we could wheelchair in the 'ancient' Alex Ferguson as assistant manager. ;)

Charlie-Brown
A striker who doesn't score is a striker who shouldn't get a game.

It's as simple as that.

That is why I suggested he should re-think his best position and not play him as a striker?

letsmakesomenoise

Can we play him at Left Back?

In the dressing room!!!! ;)

(ah, the old ones are still the best!)

Said before the game - on the 'team for today' threads that Frail was about to play Elliot out of position.

He clearly is not at his best as the front striker. Certainly not with the likes of No29 as his 'strike partner'. He is clearly better in a slightly deeper role.

Elliot has had decent games recently behind first Nade and then behind Mole. But Frail/Romanov ignore that and play him out of position.

I actually rate Elliot as a football player, but you're right- he is not a striker.

Asking him to play the lone striker does him no favours

Gigolo-Aunt
Said before the game - on the 'team for today' threads that Frail was about to play Elliot out of position.

He clearly is not at his best as the front striker. Certainly not with the likes of No29 as his 'strike partner'. He is clearly better in a slightly deeper role.

Elliot has had decent games recently behind first Nade and then behind Mole. But Frail/Romanov ignore that and play him out of position.

Agreed.

Dont think for a second though that Vlad had any input in the team yesterday.

Boaby Ewing

I think we should build our whole team around this young talent.

Try him 'in the hole' by all means - but only when he's the last option available up-front.

If they want to try him there in the reserves, go wild.

Agreed.

Dont think for a second though that Vlad had any input in the team yesterday.

You're funny!

jack D and coke
I actually rate Elliot as a football player, but you're right- he is not a striker.

Asking him to play the lone striker does him no favours

On what evidence exactly?

Elliot has become emblematic of our problems. He has few weaknesses to his game but also no strengths...He is distinctly average at everything from running to passing to heading. He is very poor at shooting and tackling...I see everything that is wrong with the team at the moment in him. He is just so bluidy average yet we persevere and make excuses for him.

I shudder to think what this "striker?s" goals:games ratio must be...

Ryan Gosling

Summed Elliot up when Miko made a great run down the left, beat a few players and played a great ball across the box while he was standing outside the box watching it.

Hilary Briss

One things for sure he aint no lone striker. There was one instance when Miko had a great run dow the left in the 2nd half, got to the byeline and elliott was holding back at the edge of the box and there was no one for Miko to sqaure to. He has no preditory instincts at all, which is not much use for a lone striker. Like the OP says he may have a role in a different position or playing off Nade but I would like to think there must be someone better in the under 19's/reserves.

As for Audrey, he should be left in the reserves until he trys a leg. He was woeful yesterday.

Hilary Briss
Summed Elliot up when Miko made a great run down the left, beat a few players and played a great ball across the box while he was standing outside the box watching it.

Beat me to it :)

Toxteth O'Grady

And when Larry got to the by line and put over a nice cross he was also well outside the box.

I'm not convinced we should try him in other positions just to shoe horn him into the team. Try it in the reserves by all means, I don't have to go and watch them!

Callum Elliot lacks the killer instinct & predatory reactions to be a goal scoring striker and therefore shouldn't be played as a striker.

However the kid is not without ability but he needs to find his correct position in the team.

Pshaw...and here was me thinking that was a manager (or at least head coach/interim head coach/whoever is charged with overseeing team selection)'s job:confused:

*10 goals in 87 (51 starts and 36sub)competetive games for us and 'well confirm what you say.

I also do not think he is that good a player that we should be looking to shoehorn him into another position though.

*disclaimer.......if those stats are wrong blame the official website.

Indeed.

Mind you it came as no great surprise that he wasn't there. His awareness at times is beyond rank...as at times is his jumping and his pace.

But he works hard so that makes up for it :confused:

winston churchill

as i said after his one game purple patch against ICT.i dont think this imposter will score again this season.

for what it's worth,i dont blame him.it's that idiot frails fault for picking him.

portobellojambo1
This is not a hate / player bashing thread!

Personally I think his best position might be in a withdrawn role playing in behind the main striker where he can get on the ball facing play rather than having to fight defenders for possession with his back to goal or be responsible for being the main goal threat because I don't think he will ever be a 15-20 goal per season striker. Possibly his best position is playing in front of a central midfield pair as an advanced or attacking midfielder linking with the main striker?

Maybe Frail needs to re-assess how he uses this player in the team - I think he needs to adjust his position and maybe use a few reserve games & substitute appearances to try him in this role & let him adapt to that.

I think he could best operate in a withdrawn position as well, but my idea of withdrawn is to put him into the reserves and try someone who might bring something to the team. He cannot say he has not had a chance, he has, he has even had a chance out on loan to try and recapture goalscoring, and failed miserably. He is now failing at Tynecastle, and it is obvious for all watching (except Frail it would seem).

Dirk Diggler

Just like many of his team mates he isn't up to the job and I really don't think it matters what position he plays.

There isn't a position on the park he could play in a Hearts jersey and be successful, Nothing will make me think otherwise.

Not really his fault he's getting picked though.

Charlie-Brown

Paul Hartley was fairly hopeless & ineffective as a winger and he went through a number of clubs until Billy Stark & Craig Levein managed to convert him into a very effective midfield player - Hearts benefited from that switch by 2-3 years great seasons for us and a ?1Million pound profit on his eventual sale.....

But if people had written off Paul Hartley AND Barry Robson in their early twenties the same way people are now writing off Calum Elliot when both of them were struggling in their careers then they would never have become Million Pound players and Scottish Internationalists & playing in the Champions League etc.

They all have the capability to be decent players in my opinion but they had to find their 'niche' first.

Gigolo-Aunt
Paul Hartley was fairly hopeless & ineffective as a winger and he went through a number of clubs until Billy Stark & Craig Levein managed to convert him into a very effective midfield player - Hearts benefited from that switch by 2-3 years great seasons for us and a ?1Million pound profit on his eventual sale.....

But if people had written off Paul Hartley AND Barry Robson in their early twenties the same way people are now writing off Calum Elliot when both of them were struggling in their careers then they would never have become Million Pound players and Scottish Internationalists & playing in the Champions League etc.

They all have the capability to be decent players in my opinion but they had to find their 'niche' first.

Thats a fair point. But for the two you mention I can give you a list as long as you want with players who showed promise, never found the right position and drifted down the leagues and sometimes ended up being out of football.

Ps

I dont think Elliot is half as bad as some make out.

winston churchill
Thats a fair point. But for the two you mention I can give you a list as long as you want with players who showed promise, never found the right position and drifted down the leagues and sometimes ended up being out of football.

Ps

if he came down to play five's with us on a thursday, he would be last pick.

Charlie-Brown

Ps

Well it shows there can be a significant benefit in showing additional patience & trying to find the right niche for each player even if their early career is uninspiring.

Gigolo-Aunt
Well it shows there can be a significant benefit in showing additional patience & trying to find the right niche for each player even if their early career is uninspiring.

It also shows that the cases that are positive are few and far between.

Charlie-Brown
It also shows that the cases that are positive are few and far between.

Probably because few clubs / managers will persevere or can afford to experiment with players as most are driven or forced by short term expediency of either results or financial considerations to seek immediate solutions to their needs or problems. The wastage rate on players is higher than it needs to be.

He was utterly dire again yesterday - no pace,no guile, no positional sense , didn't even try to win the ball in the air most of the time and certainly can't shoot. Yes he can run about , but how does that qualify him for a place in the team. All in all, what's the point in him?

*10 goals in 87 (51 starts and 36sub)competetive games for us and 'well confirm what you say.

I also do not think he is that good a player that we should be looking to shoehorn him into another position though.

*disclaimer.......if those stats are wrong blame the official website.

But that doesn?t even tell half the story sadly. He also does not create much for other players...Darren Jackson used to run around like a maddie but he scored goals and helped the team too. Elliot just lumbers around between shocking attempts to tackle and moaning at referees when he doesn?t get a decision.

I?m sorry to say this but you can actually SEE that his brain does not function quick enough! Sounds bonkers but you can see him dallying as he tries to decide what to do - which is why he?s garbage when one on one with a GK...

I'm genuinely bemused that some people (including Stephen Frail) still seem to rate Elliot. He's had chance after chance for Hearts and its clear that he is simply not good enough.

cheeseypleasey

id still play elliot up front but give him a joint before he plays the match so he would be composed in front of goal

problem solved!

Toxteth O'Grady

Is there any decent striker anywhere in the world that has failed his driving test 5 times?

Jambo, Goodbye

His best position would be up the Forth Railway Bridge with a paintbrush!

Keep Beni company...

maroonedinoz

I view him as a player who will appear to do well in a team that is dominating a lesser team, where chances pop up fast furious - say against a Brechin..and we are 4-0 up, he will get a couple of goals as weary defenders drop their heads, and he is not too closely marked.

However, put him in a game where he actually has to create and score his own chances, in a tense 0-0 gaem against the old firm and his return will be nought.

Hearts just haven't dominated sufficient games for him to be seen to be productive, and conseequently he has been shown up for what he is.

An honest plodder, more at home in the first division - a bit like Stephen Dobbie who is being praised as a revelation with QOS, but who couldn't cut the mustard with Hibs.

I think Elliot has had long enough to prove himself at the top level, and clearly hasn;t done so.

He should be emptied at season's end if possible.

Is there another SPL side who would want him?

Only a Game

When you've got a player who you think is a "prospect" but he's lacking in confidence, isnt playing well AND the fans are getting on his back, making those things worse, then surely SURELY, the first rule of effective coaching is to take the laddie out of the firing line and get him into the reserves for a while.

I dont think Elliott is a "prospect". He's had a huge number of chances and appearances to deliver something that might place him in that category and hasnt done it, but even if Frail does still consider him to be a prospect, he should be doing the laddie a favour and letting him try and find something whilst he's not under so much pressure.

Stewart MacD

With players like him and Mole, I'd rather wait to see if we get a new hard manager who can who can bring out the potential. This also applies to the Copils of this world. End the "mates" attitude of calling the boss "Shaggy".

Frail rates Clum. Says everything to me. Frail can GTF. Hes a waste of space and not fit to manage our great club. He should coach a sunday league team or the like. :mad:

Elliot has had his chance. In fact he's had several. Time and time again he's been proven not to be good enough.

Archived