This league re-construction mess

Goodfella

So whilst reading about the SPL's trip to Lithuania :lol: I came across this article from the Daily Record (I know...) which supports a 14 team league, with a 7/7 split after 26 games, teams playing each other twice, with play-offs for the relegation battle.

I personally think this is a great idea, it almost balances the increased tv money which many of the clubs are holding out for and the increased league members... The top 7 play each other twice after the split remember, more games v.s the Old Firm for the top teams, good incentive perhaps to go for it in the league and try and reach the top half, whilst play offs for the relegation could really create an excitement for many of the clubs down there, if I'm right the last few games of last season were big deciders for the teams like Falkirk and Kilmarnock and brought in larger crowds = more money for the smaller teams.

The other positive factor is that there will be an extra 2 teams in the league, offering a slightly larger variety of teams for fans to go to during the season, although some would prefer a top 16 division I'm sure, it may not be viable with not enough opportunities for games against the old firm for smaller sides.

OUR PLAN FOR CHANGE

THREE divisions of 14 teams, every club plays each other home and away. After those 26 matches, the 14 split into a top 7 and a bottom 7. In the SPL top division, one team is automatically relegated and in SPL 2, top team is automatically promoted.

Teams who finish 12th and 13th in SPL 1 join teams who finish 2nd and 3rd in SPL 2 for play-offs.

POSITIVES

Boredom Factor... Is reduced by having 2 more teams in each division.

No More Split Madness... 19 games, home and away for every team.

TV Turn On... Four Old Firm and Capital derbies PLUS promotion play-offs.

NEGATIVES

Free Weekends... Seven and seven split means a Saturday off for every club at one point in the run-in and that means less cash through gates.

The cops... Police could object to Old Firm title deciders and crunch Edinburgh derbies but extra cash generated would pay for more officers.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/2011/01/11/scottish-football-revamp-forget-10-team-spl-here-s-daily-record-plan-for-14-strong-top-division-86908-22840989/

What do you guys think?

I may be a bit thick here but why a split at all?

Surely it's fairer to let all teams have access to the top teams away supports to the end of the season.

Boredom Factor?

People are saying they are bored with the league already because we are out the cup so it does not really matter how big or small the league is as the season is over now. :rolleyes:

Surely it's fairer to let all teams have access to the top teams away supports to the end of the season.

Think it's really just to add to the excitement to the league at the end of the season, play fewer meaningless games, like the split right now. I'm sure a few on here would agree that the split provided a lot more excitement last year as teams that were around each other in the league ended up facing each other in 6 pointer matches. Plus it could give some of the lower teams a real incentive to try and push on to the upper reaches of the league, with the financial incentive Old Firm crowds offer.

Think it's really just to add to the excitement to the league at the end of the season, play fewer meaningless games, like the split right now. I'm sure a few on here would agree that the split provided a lot more excitement last year as teams that were around each other in the league ended up facing each other in 6 pointer matches. Plus it could give some of the lower teams a real incentive to try and push on to the upper reaches of the league, with the financial incentive Old Firm crowds offer.

Hear what you're saying and i'll concede that last season was good,excitement wise post-split but it has been a nonsense more times than not IMO.

Extend the league,yes,but i think a 14 could work with the League Cup at the start of the season.

kingantti1874

Garbage-just a slight variation on the 14 -6/8 split idea.. Season finished with 12 games of the season to go...I would say this is a massive problem. No league with a split will ever work.

Garbage-just a slight variation on the 14 -6/8 split idea.. Season finished with 12 games of the season to go...I would say this is a massive problem. No league with a split will ever work.

A more sensible approach that takes into account the reality that playing a top league of 10 becomes too repetative and a league of 16/18/20 either not enough matches or matches that are not demanding enough. No team likes getting beat by large scores.......ask Aberdeen fans!

England average population per senior club around 600,000

Scotland average population per senior club 150,000

In simple terms we need to dramatically change our structure.

Playing a set number of matches is needed for gate money etc. Current set up 12 team league = 33 matches to the break (3 times 11) followed by the split = +5 = 38 with approximately 19 at home.

My suggestion is two leagues of 12 at start of season. After 22 matches (one home and one away against each team) we split league into 3 leagues of 8 teams. Another 14 matches = 36 games per season and 18 at home. FAIR!!!! Clubs can plan ahead.

Top league carry points forward and play for European places.

Second league 8 teams start from scratch (no points retained) and are made up from bottom 4 of Division 1 and top 4 teams of Division 2. You play home and away (14 matches)for the Championship with the top 4 starting in the top division the following year.Effectively a wider play off system. Also a variety of fixtures with almost no meaningless matches. Includes a 'championship' win.

The third division of 8 teams play for the Championship (points are retained) and you play 14 matches (7 home and 7 away) with the bottom two teams automatically relegated

Below this 24 teams we have 2 regional leagues the champions of each gain automatic promotion.

The regional leagues could also have a feeder system.

Scottish Cup - No change. Winner only qualifies for Europe with all other places qualified via the league.

League Cup - Work a qualifying stage for smaller clubs including regional leagues to tie in with midweek European dates (say a Tuesday night). First round regionalised. With top 8 teams from previous year being seeded into last 32 stage which is a straight KO with penalties after 90 minutes.

Discuss

JamboAberdeen

No matter how you describe/modify, split is split, which is a laughing stock in football.

Please please just bin it.

You don't need to complicate football so much, and this is one of the reasons why fans stay away.

Charlie-Brown

it's all totally fecked up, goodness knows what kind of *******ised solution we'll end up with? hopefully mr romanov doesn't fall for topping and doncasters garbage plans and sends them home witha flea in their ear, they deserve nothing and their shabby proposal must fail.

it's all totally fecked up, goodness knows what kind of *******ised solution we'll end up with? hopefully mr romanov doesn't fall for topping and doncasters garbage plans and sends them home witha flea in their ear, they deserve nothing and their shabby proposal must fail.

What do they hope to gain from courting us, or am I missing something here? :blink:

In a ten team league, you wouldn't need one - every plays each other 4 times. 36 games each.

With more than ten teams, you either end up with too many games if you play each other 4 times, or too few if you only play each other twice.

Charlie-Brown

What do they hope to gain from courting us, or am I missing something here? :blink:

probably to offer us some incentive or bribe to vote in favour of their crappy two leagues of ten proposals, i really hope VR doesn't help them or promise to vote in favour of that thrice previously ditched garbage they want us to watch again.

Archived