Truly horrific

DB-14

The Old Tolbooth

John, Noooooooo.

sad.gif

Poor John.

Imagine supporting two absolutely gash sides.

:seething:

Oh John, another good man down :facepalm:

John,

You gave me a row on NYD for pointing out your errors on Kickback, I will stop when you stop posting guff like this! :rofl:

We've all got different opinions lads, Novikovas in my opinion isn't good enough to start for Hearts, he found himself in positions tonight that Temps would love to have been in had he been on the park (was Temps injured?), but Temps would have made a lot more of the positions.

I just don't get this lad at all I'm afraid, he's far too hot and cold for me, but not hot enough often enough, I hope he goes on to prove me wrong though, but I'm not one of his fans.

I think tonight it was evident a proper RB is needed. Eggert is a good player or was anyway in the central midfield many moons ago.

The Old Tolbooth

I agree that novikovas was shocking tonight.

Having said that, he reminded me of templeton 12 months ago - wrong decision, getting tackled in our half all the time, too lightweight, poor passing. His confidence went after about 30 mins and they should have hooked him.

I can only hope that jim and Billy can transform him the way the did temps.

We badly miss rudi's quality and calm assurance on the ball in the midfield.

I just think Novikovas is far to lightweight and hasn't got the stomach for a fight, he chickens out of every 50/50 ball and is completely powder puff, but I hope you're right that they can turn the lad around and iron out his weaknesses, right now though, he couldn't lace Temps, Driver's, or Suso's boots.

Couldn't agree more with the title to this thread to describe that performance tonight.

I have seen plenty of horrendous cup defeats to teams we should be beating over the last 20 years - but I think tonight's "performance" goes straight into the top 5.

I am still in a state of shock at how bad we were.

Yes, every team is entitled to the odd off-day - but tonight that looked like a bunch of players who a) thought they just had to turn up to win and b. had not got a grasp of what winning the Scottish cup means.

The idea of being out of the Scottish cup before the middle of January is dreadful.

I just think Novikovas is far to lightweight and hasn't got the stomach for a fight, he chickens out of every 50/50 ball and is completely powder puff, but I hope you're right that they can turn the lad around and iron out his weaknesses, right now though, he couldn't lace Temps, Driver's, or Suso's boots.

But it seems a few refuse to acknowledge some key attributes he lacks because he has a decent left peg. He got caught dreaming a few time by letting his man drift behind him and he doesn`t have the guts Templeton has. He can have the look of a good winger all he wants, but to make it come to fruition he`ll have to grow a pair and toe the line in dirty work.

The Old Tolbooth

But it seems a few refuse to acknowledge some key attributes he lacks because he has a decent left peg. He got caught dreaming a few time by letting his man drift behind him and he doesn`t have the guts Templeton has. He can have the look of a good winger all he wants, but to make it come to fruition he`ll have to grow a pair and toe the line in dirty work.

Exactly mate, but apparently you're not allowed an opinion on a player if it doesn't fit in with the majority :whistling:

He does have a good left peg though, he just doesn't use it often enough.

Exactly mate, but apparently you're not allowed an opinion on a player if it doesn't fit in with the majority :whistling:

He's only 19 (i think) John. The talent is there, he just needs work, much like Temps did 2 seasons ago. Let's not write him off after one duff performance just yet thumbsup.gif

The Old Tolbooth

He's only 19 (i think) John. The talent is there, he just needs work, much like Temps did 2 seasons ago. Let's not write him off after one duff performance just yet thumbsup.gif

Fair enough Ross, but personally I'd have him nowhere near the first team as I feel he's miles away from being ready for it, especially for a big game like that tonight.

I really hate going out of cups :verymad:

Fair enough Ross, but personally I'd have him nowhere near the first team as I feel he's miles away from being ready for it, especially for a big game like that tonight.

I really hate going out of cups :verymad:

Think it just shows he's not ready to start, still useful as an impact sub though. He's got plenty pace and skill in his locker.

So do I mate, and I'm sure we're not alone. down.gif

ToadKiller Dog

Novocaine has still got lots to learn.

He is no where near the baddy tonight, Black and Stevenson were totally out fought and out thought tonight. Black should be controlling these sorts of games on a regular basis not the odd ocasion.

Broxburn_Jambo

Aw shucks, stop denying it, I know you are sweet on me.:teehee:

It's a pity you missed me agreeing with something you said, as that kinda debunks your second bit. However, onto your second bit, I see what you were trying to do, but anybody that knows me would know that I would disagree with that. West Lothian is a false name for your 'hood. You are from the Glasgow overspill. :)

Ha ha, good for you, try vainly to claim that you were agreeing with me because you know I was right without actually saying that. As for your comments about West Lothian, You seem to be trying to reignite the feud,

Johanes de Silentio

He's a very average player.

I'd like to see Scott Robinson take Stevenson's place in the squad.

He would have noised up Jody Morris and stopped him running the game.

This.

Normally when someone starts a thread like this after a loss I am first to point out the positives. However tonight there truly were no positives at all. Ridiculous to single out any one player though, even more ridiculous to now start saying player x who we thought was great is actually gash blah blah blah, bollocks, they all had an off night tonight end of story.

For those that weren't there imagine every Hearts player playing like they had never played football before, then at half time taking off their boots and putting them on the wrong feet then tying the laces together and you are somewhere near describing the ineptness of the performance.

St Johnstone were, and are utterly gash and will get pumped out in the next round. But that just makes it all the more galling that we lost the game to be honest. Saying that though, I was strangely apathetic about losing tonight, maybe it was the quietness of the stadium with the Wheatfield shut and Roseburn only a quarter full, maybe some of the apathy from the players rubbed off on me, don't know but I wasn't quite as pissed off as I should have been that I decided to buy a ticket and drive 40 miles to see us playing like a bunch of schoolgirls.

Miller Jambo 60

Poor John.

Imagine supporting two absolutely gash sides.

:seething:

wot you on, johns followed hearts for years, you there last night.woot.gif

I raided the shrapnel jar tonight to go (yes, really) and I wish I had brought the rest with me to chuck at the team at full time. I thought we were poor in the first half, but the second was even worse.

I wouldn't give anyone pass marks myself. It was like watching one of Laszlo's teams.

Also, I didn't have a great view of Obua's miss...was it as bad as it seemed?

You didn't offer an opinion.

You 'put to bed' a 'myth'......

Hope you don't see Novikovas when you are buying your next Chinese.

I raided the shrapnel jar tonight to go (yes, really) and I wish I had brought the rest with me to chuck at the team at full time. I thought we were poor in the first half, but the second was even worse.

I wouldn't give anyone pass marks myself. It was like watching one of Laszlo's teams.

Also, I didn't have a great view of Obua's miss...was it as bad as it seemed?

Worse. If the tea lady wandered onto the pitch and was standing where Obua was when the cross came in she could simply not have missed. I think he had a stupid grin on his face just after too, personally I fail to see the humour.

Hearts have struggled against teams that sit in and try to stifle the play, especially at Tynie. Playing 4 defensive midfielders in Eggy, Ruben, Addy and Blackie has worked this season but when a bit of creativity is required there is little alternative to Skacel and Temps.

Hearts have depth in certain areas but they may need to add a creative midfielder to the squad.

Hearts have struggled against teams that sit in and try to stifle the play, especially at Tynie. Playing 4 defensive midfielders in Eggy, Ruben, Addy and Blackie has worked this season but when a bit of creativity is required there is little alternative to Skacel and Temps.

Hearts have depth in certain areas but they may need to add a creative midfielder to the squad.

Undoubtedly. This is a must, if we are to mount anything like a title challenge.

Think you're being harsh on Black, but otherwise I'd agree with your assessment. I sincerely hope Stevenson will be donating his wages to charity. I expended more energy climbing to row 27 of the Gorgie than he did the whole evening.

I said I wasn't going to go mental and lose my sense of perspective if we lost tonight. But I will say one thing. This club - from top to bottom - needs to sort out its attitude to Cup competitions.

You have got that right. There is some sort of total ignorance to cup competitions. To keep it simple, if we humbly accept we are the third footballing force in Scotland, I would have expected 15 Scottish Cups and 7 or 8 Mickey Mouse cups in the trophy cabinet. Somehow there is a non focus on cup games, like we assume we are the victims and have minimal confidence. We should really be a great cup winning club and somehow we have fecked it up, easy round after easy round.

Drewjambobusby

I know fans expectations have risen due to improved performances under Jeff and this is understandable. Lets take a reality check though.

If tonight taught us anything it is that we are far from the finished article but have improved 100% from where Lazslo had us. Give Jeff time and i think he can make Hearts a real force. He has the basis of a really good team. The key of course is holding on to key players for at least another 2 or 3 years. Going out of the cup always stings a bit, and god knows i remember a few in my time, but blips are going to happen when we don`t have strength in depth to cover the real KEY players.

Skacel was sorely missed, Kyle was struggling with a dead leg from Hibs game and had to call it a day and Temps was rested. 3 real Key players and it upset our momentum. Bad performance but i for one am happy we are marching in the right direction and i am sure last night would have told Jeffries everything he needs to know about who he can rely on going forward. Maybe a more important January window than i first thought.

Eggert, jack of all positions, master of none.

Novi still too scared to pull the trigger, bags of ability, short on belief.

Obua, taxi for Obua

You have got that right. There is some sort of total ignorance to cup competitions. To keep it simple, if we humbly accept we are the third footballing force in Scotland, I would have expected 15 Scottish Cups and 7 or 8 Mickey Mouse cups in the trophy cabinet. Somehow there is a non focus on cup games, like we assume we are the victims and have minimal confidence. We should really be a great cup winning club and somehow we have fecked it up, easy round after easy round.

Good post :thumbsup:

I said I wasn't going to go mental and lose my sense of perspective if we lost tonight. But I will say one thing. This club - from top to bottom - needs to sort out its attitude to Cup competitions.

Absolutely spot-on.

Novikovas isn't quite ready for starting yet I don't think. He's more of an impact sub.

Apart from that run in the first half, he did absolutely nothing.

I think JJ made a mistake there and not starting Templeton.

The People's Chimp

Novi and Ruben are the 2 to get pass marks they at least tried to make things happen. Black and Stevenson were shocking. Black had to be fetched out of Morris back pocket to be subbed and Stevenson was still in the Ayr end at Fester Road.

JJ got it wrong by playing Black , Stevenson and Mroweic in the middle of the park, Mroweic does that job well, Skacel will replace Stevenson and hopefully we will get someone in to play Blacks role better.

Oh how we missed Skacel tonight.

I'm not sure that blaming Black is correct. Once he went off we were truly awful, at least before that he was trying to make things happen. Stevo was poor, undoubtedly, novi had a poor night and mrowiec was not involved, and when he was his distribution was poor.

As JJ said, too many people making poor decisions.

The People's Chimp

I said to my Dad last night, about half way through the first half, that Adrian wasn't needed. We had no need for a sitting defensive midfielder against a team that was going to sit in. I know he's been seen in some quarters as a lynchpin, but honestly, we wasted a man in playing him because he wasn't really needed. We'd have done far better to go traditional 4-4-2 and play novi and temps from the start.

I have been a big fan of JJ's formation this season, but we need to be flexible enough to be more concerned with attacking should the need arise - for instance in games where the opposition will sit in and try to hit us on the counter.

Also, I'm surprised at some of the singling out for Jonsson, who second half was not too bad. The problems we had came down the left last night, as their goal and numerous chances attested.

We were poor but St J outplayed us in the second half. I couldn't work out why they were time wasting when the game was there for the taking for them.

Our system of play works when all our best players are there and playing well. St J pressed us at the back and midfield and the less said about Stevenson, Obua and Novi the better.

All night our defence looked like an accident waiting to happen.

Not that it would have made a difference but why was our best Goalie on the bench? If fit for the bench he should surely have played.

The Old Tolbooth

You didn't offer an opinion.

You 'put to bed' a 'myth'......

Hope you don't see Novikovas when you are buying your next Chinese.

I'm lost :unsure:

Miller Jambo 60

Unbelievable amount of crap in this thread. We werent that bad.

Not that bad, laugh.gifcmon bud lighten up and admit we were shocking.

Generic Username

I agree.

It's really all the fans fault.

I agree, there is an unbeleivable amount of crap on this thread (see attached post for confirmation)

Granted a lot of stuff on here is completely OTT as usual after a loss, but you know what? We WERE that bad.

Miller Jambo 60

I agree, there is an unbeleivable amount of crap on this thread (see attached post for confirmation)

Granted a lot of stuff on here is completely OTT as usual after a loss, but you know what? We WERE that bad.

My point,we had to pay to watch that rubbish last night, the players got too much money to show a good Hearts support up.down.gif

To those posters banging on about the Hearts support last night at least some made the effort to attend and if the white knighs of righteousness on this forum decided to get along to the game rather than sit on here moaning then the other stands might've been open. Hearts were horrific last night with or without 2 empty stands.

Not a single player deserves any credit for last night, it was clear to see at the game JJ got his team selection wrong from very early on. Novi looked devoid of ideas and confidence from about 35 mins onwards and should've been subbed then as he was ineffective.

Charlie-Brown

To those posters banging on about the Hearts support last night at least some made the effort to attend and if the white knighs of righteousness on this forum decided to get along to the game rather than sit on here moaning then the other stands might've been open. Hearts were horrific last night with or without 2 empty stands.

Not a single player deserves any credit for last night, it was clear to see at the game JJ got his team selection wrong from very early on. Novi looked devoid of ideas and confidence from about 35 mins onwards and should've been subbed then as he was ineffective.

Novikovas had the beating of his marker early on and put over a couple of dangerous deliveries / cross cum shot however the defender then halted him in his tracks in a couple of 1 v 1 confrontations and the kid let his head go down after that. He did however play a neat slide pass through to Ruben to start the breakaway that lead to Obua's missed sitter however in general he played most of the game until subbed nearer to his own penalty box than St. Johnstone's and that simply isn't his game nor Templeton's who also came on later to little effect.

Both Novikovas and Templeton need to play much higher up the pitch where they can threaten and cause problems in the final third and not nearer our own penalty box tracking back etc where they aren't the strongest and a bit of a liability defensively which also dents their confidence if they make a mistake in a dangerous area and the crowd gets at them - let the work horses take care of that and get the ball to the 2 kids much further up the pitch where they can hurt teams and they and we will do better.

Charlie-Brown

I thought Stephen Elliott had a brilliant first half but he was too quiet in the 2nd

Stephen Elliott is an enigma for me - can't really decide if he's good or bad - maybe a bit of both

positives - tries really hard & great work ethic, makes intelligent runs, usually good finishing if given chances

negatives - not really got enough pace, goes to ground too easily imo, doesn't always have the presence, strength or pace to cause defenders serious problems or hold off defenders and keep the ball enough

Stephen Elliott is an enigma for me - can't really decide if he's good or bad - maybe a bit of both

positives - tries really hard & great work ethic, makes intelligent runs, usually good finishing if given chances

negatives - not really got enough pace, goes to ground too easily imo, doesn't always have the presence, strength or pace to cause defenders serious problems or hold off defenders and keep the ball enough

Agree. He reminds me of Gary Wales ... after Numan's assault.

Charlie-Brown

Agree. He reminds me of Gary Wales ... after Numan's assault.

Yes whilst he's an improvement in certain respects he wasn't playing much for the mighty Preston NE before he signed - I think he's a clever player but he's in no way nippy.

Yes whilst he's an improvement in certain respects he wasn't playing much for the mighty Preston NE before he signed - I think he's a clever player but he's in no way nippy.

I hadn't looked at his stats before. He doesn't seem to have played many games or scored many goals at his past clubs with the exception of purple period in the Championship one year at Sunderland.

http://www.heartsfc.co.uk/articles/stephen-elliott-hearts_2241487_27752

Archived