milky_26

winner announced later today

Three contenders

Xavi

Won la liga, world cup with spain

Iniesta

Won la liga, world cup with spain scoring the winning goal in the final

Messi

won la liga, played deeper in world cup for argentina than he does with barca, scored IIRC 48 goals in 44 games for barca in 2010

my vote would have to go to Iniesta, with Xavi 2nd and Messi 3rd

so who would you give it to?

Guest juvehearts

Messi

he is the best attacking player on the planet ATM

iniesta is debatable for best midfielder.

xavi is too old, he has a tremendous footballing brain, but because you win the euro & world cup doesnt give you the divine right to be awarded the Ballon D'Od, can name eaisly 5 more influential players in the game today more deserving of being nominated

its all a joke anyway, its corrupted to the core

juve

Messi is the obvious choice for many but I picked Iniesta. Total magician with the ball. Great vision and scores great goals too.

the glaring omission from the top three is IMO Sneijder

Juve re xavi, watching the barca game the other night one of the commentators said it should go to xavi as he might not get another chance of winning one. That should not be the criteria for inclusion.

Would hate to upset the Ronaldo haters but why is he behind Xavi and Iniesta (who granted are brilliant players) with 51 goals in 48 games for Real Madrid? 21 goals in 18 games this season - more than Messi.

Would hate to upset the Ronaldo haters but why is he behind Xavi and Iniesta (who granted are brilliant players) with 51 goals in 48 games for Real Madrid? 21 goals in 18 games this season - more than Messi.

Because his goals didn't lead to anything tangible I'd imagine.

No league win, no cup win, an early CL exit and an early WC exit.

he is another omission, but could be due to not winning anything (doubt its that though) minor point he has 22 in 18 games in la liga this season, and messi has 18 in 15 games, which gives them both 1.2 goals per game (CR has 1.22) so just a bit better

Xavi, although it's very close.

What he does with a football is something special.

willie wallace

Xavi for me.I could watch him play all day long.Everything at Barca and at national level starts with him,he just makes the game look simple.I think he was playing for the under 12s the last time he gave the ball away.Three fantastic players in the running and could go any way.

Templeton'sUnderpants

Will go to Iniesta or Xavi as IIRC it has always gone to a world cup winner in a world cup year?

Iniesta would just edge it for me personally.

Personally I would pick sneijder. The man helped inter to the treble in which they knocked out barcelona, and he single handedly took holland to the world cup final.

To choose out of the 3 available though it would be Xavi.

Is this the first time the nominees have all played at the same club? Just shows how dominant Barca are just now.

Templeton'sUnderpants

Is this the first time the nominees have all played at the same club? Just shows how dominant Barca are just now.

Or how political fifa is...

xavi is too old, he has a tremendous footballing brain, but because you win the euro & world cup doesnt give you the divine right to be awarded the Ballon D'Od, can name eaisly 5 more influential players in the game today more deserving of being nominated

:symf: :symf: :symf: :symf: :symf: :symf:

Iniesta's the best player in the world for me along with Messi. Considering he's won everything he's been involved in I'd give it to Iniesta over Messi.

Messi

juve

Crack on, then - let's hear them. :rofl:

30 year old - too old to win the Ballon D'Or. That's special chat, and not in the good way. Cannavaro won it when he was 33. Better get it off him. Feck the captaining your country to the World Cup and being a rock for club and country throughout the year, you're past it son. :vrface:

Crack on, then - let's hear them. :rofl:

30 year old - too old to win the Ballon D'Or. That's special chat, and not in the good way. Cannavaro won it when he was 33. Better get it off him. Feck the captaining your country to the World Cup and being a rock for club and country throughout the year, you're past it son. :vrface:

Absolute nap that Lampard and Gerrard are two.

can name eaisly 5 more influential players in the game today more deserving of being nominated

Go on...

If we are debating who is the best player in the world right now, there is absoulte no debate, its messi hands down ! Over a period of about 6 years i've gone aboard to watch barca home and away sometimes, about 7 times i think, every time the boy has got better, everytime he has done something in the game that you never show before. This guy will go down in history (IMHO) as the best of all-time. thank feck he is not a total arsehole like ronaldo !

If we are debating who was the best player at the world cup, then it has to Xavi, huge love for iniesta, but xavi makes the team tick. Both as a tagged team are awesome and i think need each other, where as messi can be class without them, but of course is so much better with them.

If we are debating who is the best player in the world right now, there is absoulte no debate, its messi hands down ! Over a period of about 6 years i've gone aboard to watch barca home and away sometimes, about 7 times i think, every time the boy has got better, everytime he has done something in the game that you never show before. This guy will go down in history (IMHO) as the best of all-time. thank feck he is not a total arsehole like ronaldo !

If we are debating who was the best player at the world cup, then it has to Xavi, huge love for iniesta, but xavi makes the team tick. Both as a tagged team are awesome and i think need each other, where as messi can be class without them, but of course is so much better with them.

We shouln't be debating either. It's supposed to be an award for the player who has performed best over the past calendar year.

The World Cup dictates the results in World Cup years and I'd be ready to bet that Robben and Sneijder would have been on the shortlist of three if Robben had taken his golden chance in the World Cup Final.

We shouln't be debating either. It's supposed to be an award for the player who has performed best over the past calendar year.

The World Cup dictates the results in World Cup years and I'd be ready to bet that Robben and Sneijder would have been on the shortlist of three if Robben had taken his golden chance in the World Cup Final.

But they didn't. Irrelevant.

i can see your point, but apart from getting beat by a inter team, the boys who are up for it had amazing year. The best team in europe did not win the CL last year, the best team in the world did win the world cup. If i am right, robben has being out injury this year with bayern, and i've not watched Sneijder this year but inter are hardly setting the world alight, were as barca have carry on from where they left off.

Both the players you meation have failed in spain to stop barca winning the league when they played together at real, so can't see how you think they are better than xavi etc

There was a rather interesting article about this in yesterday's Sunday Herald, By Graham 'Our Man in Spain' Hunter.The criteria for selection are: Achievements over the previous year; class (talent and fair play); personality (charisma); and career (length of career).

He picks Xavi on that, as do I.

It should also explain why Ronaldo is not on the list.

Go for it, I'd love to hear these names. In my eyes he is by far the best central midfielder on the planet, ffs his pass success rate in the world cup was above 90% and in one game for Barca he broke the world record for most successful passes in a game in which he was subbed after 70 mins! He got my vote.

Big_Hearts_Runner

Messi

juve

Out of interest were you one of the many on here shown up on the re-surfaced Kevin Kyle thread?

An interesting point, all three are 5ft 7 - they would all have probably made it in the UK but with teams like Aberdeen releasing Templeton for being "too small" it just shows why the home nations are so poor at the moment with this mentality of players having to be a certain height to succeed.

Templeton'sUnderpants

can name eaisly 5 more influential players in the game today more deserving of being nominated

juve

waiting to hear this, of the nominated players the only change I would possibly make would be to put Sneijder in instead of Messi.

Templeton'sUnderpants

Out of interest were you one of the many on here shown up on the re-surfaced Kevin Kyle thread?

An interesting point, all three are 5ft 7 - they would all have probably made it in the UK but with teams like Aberdeen releasing Templeton for being "too small" it just shows why the home nations are so poor at the moment with this mentality of players having to be a certain height to succeed.

Myth I'm afraid.

There was a rather interesting article about this in yesterday's Sunday Herald, By Graham 'Our Man in Spain' Hunter.The criteria for selection are: Achievements over the previous year; class (talent and fair play); personality (charisma); and career (length of career).

He picks Xavi on that, as do I.

It should also explain why Ronaldo is not on the list.

How the f*&% is Sneijder not on that list?! Was leading his club to the treble and his country to the World Cup final not considered achievement enough? Let alone the guy's immense technique and ability.

Yes, he didn't win the World Cup, but I would say that sustained performance over an entire season to bring in 3 trophies is more significant than playing well in a handful of games in a single tournament (not wishing to belittle the WC as an achievement!).

i can see your point, but apart from getting beat by a inter team, the boys who are up for it had amazing year. The best team in europe did not win the CL last year, the best team in the world did win the world cup. If i am right, robben has being out injury this year with bayern, and i've not watched Sneijder this year but inter are hardly setting the world alight, were as barca have carry on from where they left off.

Both the players you meation have failed in spain to stop barca winning the league when they played together at real, so can't see how you think they are better than xavi etc

Iniesta was out injured for most of last season. He had the good fortune to score the winner in the World Cup Final.

Would Cannavaro have won the awards in 2006 if France had beaten Italy on penalties in the WC Final? Of course not.

I place little importance on this award to be honest. The fact that the old France Football award has now been merged with the FIFA World Player award simply undermines it further.

Congratulations to Mourinho on his FIFA Coach of the Year Award.

Iniesta was out injured for most of last season. He had the good fortune to score the winner in the World Cup Final.

Would Cannavaro have won the awards in 2006 if France had beaten Italy on penalties in the WC Final? Of course not.

I place little importance on this award to be honest. The fact that the old France Football award has now been merged with the FIFA World Player award simply undermines it further.

Congratulations to Mourinho on his FIFA Coach of the Year Award.

history only remembers the winners ! Mourinho would not have being the manger of chelsea had his porto team being beaten in the CL final it would have being

Didier Deschamps !

Having just checked the recent stats on Messi....

09-10 season:

Apps - 53

Goals - 47

Assists - 11 (or 14 depending on source)

10-11 season (so far):

Apps - 26

Goals - 28 (or 27 depending on source)

Assists - 15

Those figures are actually quite incredible. That really is Playstation-like statistics.

I still think Sneijder should have won though...

history only remembers the winners ! Mourinho would not have being the manger of chelsea had his porto team being beaten in the CL final it would have being

Didier Deschamps !

Porto won 3-0 not on pens so it's hardly a comparable situation to the 2006 WC Final.

Gareth_Hearts

I would have also voted sneijder and i think if holland won the world cup he would be receiving the ballon d'Or.

As it is i voted Xavi holds the teams he plays for together.

Templeton'sUnderpants

Didier Deschamps !

Eh?

I think Mourinho would have got on just fine, if I'm not mistaken he still hasn't been beaten at home in about 9 years?

Guest juvehearts

Muller

ozil

Forlan

suarez

gilardino

theres 5

out of that 5 surley the best player at the world cup (forlan) should have at least been in with a shout?

Muller

ozil

Forlan

suarez

gilardino

theres 5

out of that 5 surley the best player at the world cup (forlan) should have at least been in with a shout?

:rofl:

Chalk this one up in the Faceman's W column.

Muller :what:

ozil :what:

Forlan :what:

suarez :what:

gilardino :what:

theres 5

Just to clarify - :what:

Archived