Of these two candidates, who would you prefer as Hearts manager?

shaun.lawson

Who's the fans' favourite?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Who's the fans' favourite?

• Mark McGhee
    • Craig Levein

shaun.lawson

I realise this may get shot down, given how ****ed off we're all currently feeling, and that it's now almost three months since the New Year's Day announcement. But many of us strongly suspect the reason for the club's inaction is that the man they want is currently employed by another SPL club. I've always assumed this to be Mark McGhee - but out of interest, given Motherwell's poor form and with Dundee United having gone 3rd tonight, would MM be the fans' choice anyway?

Personally, I still lean slightly towards him, mainly because I believe his style of play has a much higher ceiling of potential. Plus, though I realise he'd be very interested in the Celtic job should it become available, I reckon he'd be more likely to leave Motherwell for us than CL is to leave Tannadice. But if both figures were open to persuasion, who would you favour?

Denny Crane

The Saturday night edition of the Sunday Mail claims that Hearts will make official approaches to speak to both parties once the season has ended.

I personally would have McGhee as I remember getting a stiff neck watching Levein's tactics being employed last time around.

Gigolo-Aunt
The Saturday night edition of the Sunday Mail claims that Hearts will make official approaches to speak to both parties once the season has ended.

I personally would have McGhee as I remember getting a stiff neck watching Levein's tactics being employed last time around.

Is there a link for that, mate ??

JamboGraham

I believe the dip from Motherwell is due more to their lack of squad depth and of course the extended run of called of matches and poor training facilities. I don't think for a minute that McGhee has deteriorated as a manager in the last few weeks.

I also think that Craig Levein has made his feelings very clear by joining the United board and also with his open opposition to the current owner at Tynecastle in the Scottish media.

If given a straight choice between both I would go for McGhee. Levein has shown his complete hand as a manager and it is very effective within its own limitations. However, I would like to give attack based football a try. It is long overdue at Tynecastle.

What tools will the new manager be handed?

A transfer budget? Autonomy to pick the team? Bringing in his own coaching staff? Offloading the deadwood?

Would you take the job if the answer was, "well, maybe".

Charlie-Brown

There is no St Johnstone option.....anyway in the absence of one.... Gordon Chisholm is doing a fantastic job on very limited resources at Queen of the South.

shaun.lawson
There is no St Johnstone option.....anyway in the absence of one.... Gordon Chisholm is doing a fantastic job on very limited resources at Queen of the South.

*chortle*

Is no-one else about 99% sure that it's not going to be Craig Levein?

He's going to be on the board of the company at Dundee United, he has a fantastic relationship with his boss who is possibly terminally ill, he has a settled team with guys who want to play for him and he has told numerous Hearts fans that he will not return to Hearts under the current ownership.

These facts all point to suggest that there is no way that Levein will be the new manager.

It has to be McGhee they are talking about. Whether he can be convinced to jump ship to a club in perpetual turmoil is the big question here IMO.

As crude as it sounds, Levein will be at Dundee Utd until Thompson dies.

I totally agree.

He will not leave United as he is a huge part of the club now.

He's in there like swimwear.

I doubt Levein would come back to Hearts. He left the club at the time Romanov was about to invest, he obviously didn't want to be a part of that then, after seeing what he has done to the club now, I highly doubt we will see Craig back at Tynecastle (as our manager).

Mark McGhee wants Motherwell to play attractive football, that is the same as Romanov (he won't bring his wife to Edinburgh to watch Hearts until we are playing "beautiful football"). It will suit him having MM as our manager. Also, McGhee won't be bothered about leaving Motherwell, he showed desire to leave when the Scotland post was up for grabs, Hearts are arguably a better club than Motherwell as we have the potential to be a top side in Scotland, challenging for the title (one day).

Both are showing themselves to be excellent managers. I think Mark McGhee will soon head back down south if Motherwell can't keep him - or might go to one of his old clubs if their "crisis" deepens. I have always been a fan of Craig Levein - our best centre half in my time, since 1950s, - and he was doing fine as a manager under difficult circumstances - but I don't think he should come back under the present regime - unless there is a change of philosophy which seems improbable.

As to who should come? Yes, we need an experienced manager. As nothing on this front seems to be imminent, it would make sense to wait until the close of the season now and see who is available or interested then.

He's going to be on the board of the company at Dundee United, he has a fantastic relationship with his boss who is possibly terminally ill, he has a settled team with guys who want to play for him and he has told numerous Hearts fans that he will not return to Hearts under the current ownership.

These facts all point to suggest that there is no way that Levein will be the new manager.

It has to be McGhee they are talking about. Whether he can be convinced to jump ship to a club in perpetual turmoil is the big question here IMO.

I don't think Levein would touch it, although I'd be delighted if we managed to get him.

I'm kind of worried by what I see as a creeping assumption that McGhee wants the job and/or has already been lined up. I'm asking myself how much of my own money I'd stake on him being Hearts manager come August. The answer I'm coming up with is the thin end of feck all.

I doubt Levein would come back to Hearts. He left the club at the time Romanov was about to invest, he obviously didn't want to be a part of that then, after seeing what he has done to the club now, I highly doubt we will see Craig back at Tynecastle (as our manager).

Mark McGhee wants Motherwell to play attractive football, that is the same as Romanov (he won't bring his wife to Edinburgh to watch Hearts until we are playing "beautiful football"). It will suit him having MM as our manager. Also, McGhee won't be bothered about leaving Motherwell, he showed desire to leave when the Scotland post was up for grabs, Hearts are arguably a better club than Motherwell as we have the potential to be a top side in Scotland, challenging for the title (one day).

He would also command a far larger salary (probably inflated due to Vlad's negative reputation, the short "shelf life expectancy" of Hearts managers and the huge amount of bad press that has surrounded Vlad's stewardship) than at Motherwell. Whoever interviews this job, will be able to hold the club to ransom to an extent.

That may actually have the positive effect that the new manager can lay down his expectations and limits with Vlad as well so that all parties know what is acceptable from day one.

If the right money, the right budget and the correct assurances from Vlad were firmly in place, the Hearts job would be a tremendous opportunity for a manager with the self-belief, imagination and talent to challenge the Bigot Brothers duopoly. Burley maybe had those qualities, we need to find another who can match him. McGhee might be a good shout.

I don't think Levein would touch it, although I'd be delighted if we managed to get him.

I'm kind of worried by what I see as a creeping assumption that McGhee wants the job and/or has already been lined up. I'm asking myself how much of my own money I'd stake on him being Hearts manager come August. The answer I'm coming up with is the thin end of feck all.

OK, you started the betting.

I'll fold :)

I also would wage very little on MM actually being the new manager.

But, i think it's probably a safe bet suggesting that he is at least on, and maybe top of Vlad's shortlist for potential managers.

Like I said though, the question is, will he take the leap?

Fat Striker

As much as I admire Levein I really don't see him as a viable option.

In my opinion there is no way that he will leave United at this moment in time. I can only see him returning to Hearts (at some point in the future) if the next Romanov managerial selection is given a fair 'crack of the whip' and full autonomy. I think he's perfectly happy at United although this may change when Eddie Thompson is not around anymore.

I would be delighted if we appointed McGhee. I admire the job he's done at Motherwell and I wouldn't be too critical of their little slump as factors such as the death of O'Donnell, the state of their pitch and the subsequent fixture backlog are bound to have an effect.

He's also one of the few SPL managers who doesn't make me want to throw things at the TV when being interviewed. He comes across as very fair minded.

If McGhee is the 'prime target' I just hope we get the timing right and don't get gazumped by another club

Dirk Diggler

Levein over what we have now.....Yes, reluctantly.

Otherwise...No thanks.

I have a feeling (Can't explain why)McGhee would do a great job at Hearts.

Denny Crane
What tools will the new manager be handed?

A transfer budget? Autonomy to pick the team? Bringing in his own coaching staff? Offloading the deadwood?

Would you take the job if the answer was, "well, maybe".

You've obviously confused me with Vladimir Romanov. Would love to give you a definitive answer but can't.;)

Denny Crane
Is there a link for that, mate ??

I'll imagine that paper's website will have the gory details tomorrow.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Exactly.

There is more chance of Alex Ferguson getting the gig than Levein.

On the board and has a great relationship with the owner and fans.

rudi must stay

out of those two Levein. McGhee is well known for walking out on clubs and if he walks out on Well for us that will just prove this even more

Fourcandles

Ther is as much chance of getting CL as ...................

Lorenzo "Donkey" Amuruso getting his wedding tackle into a matchbox.

:unsure:

I believe the dip from Motherwell is due more to their lack of squad depth and of course the extended run of called of matches and poor training facilities. I don't think for a minute that McGhee has deteriorated as a manager in the last few weeks.

I also think that Craig Levein has made his feelings very clear by joining the United board and also with his open opposition to the current owner at Tynecastle in the Scottish media.

If given a straight choice between both I would go for McGhee. Levein has shown his complete hand as a manager and it is very effective within its own limitations. However, I would like to give attack based football a try. It is long overdue at Tynecastle.

Agree with every word.

Patrick Bateman

Mark McGhee with a coaching team of Scott Leitch and Eric Black.

One of the only realistic ways of restoring some credibility and talent to this absolute joke of a team. Frail should be shown the door.

Hate saying it bit i chose McGhee only because he plays good attacking football

I have great memories of Levein being our manager,but i'm so fed up watching us play defensive

I totally agree.

He will not leave United as he is a huge part of the club now.

He's in there like swimwear.

I used to think he thought that about Hearts

I used to think he thought that about Hearts

He was never a company director at Hearts.

He also had personal problems at the time of leaving us.

He was never a company director at Hearts.

He also had personal problems at the time of leaving us.

I suppose my point was that you might think that someone has huge loyalty for a club but events can change things very quickly. No one seemed to know that Craig was playing away from home before he left Tynie or if they did it was kept very quiet.

I'm not really sure how much his Directorship really means to him, I'm sure I read last week that he still wants to prove hinself in England so it obviously won't stop him from leaving for some exotic location in the Midlands should the right offer come along.

I suppose my point was that you might think that someone has huge loyalty for a club but events can change things very quickly. No one seemed to know that Craig was playing away from home before he left Tynie or if they did it was kept very quiet.

I'm not really sure how much his Directorship really means to him, I'm sure I read last week that he still wants to prove hinself in England so it obviously won't stop him from leaving for some exotic location in the Midlands should the right offer come along.

I see your point.

CL's leaving was a bit of a surprise.

i voted mcgee simply becaue i think as long as another, stronger club doesn't come along, he'll come to us.

in reality though, i'd take anyone who is given the right to play his own team, and will live and die by his own choices without having to pretend every team is his, when having vlads flunkies forced into the team

Horatio Caine

CL for me though I doubt if it will happen.

All those who have posted on this thread about Levein's style of football should just think back to the last few matches United have played against us. And the the CIS Cup final. Boring? Defensive? No. Organised? Yes! Effective? Yes.

A world away from what we are witnessing at the moment.

Charlie-Brown
*chortle*

I think Levein, McGhee & Chisholm are all doing a fantastic job this season at unfashionable clubs with very limited resources - would you disagree?

CL for me though I doubt if it will happen.

All those who have posted on this thread about Levein's style of football should just think back to the last few matches United have played against us. And the the CIS Cup final. Boring? Defensive? No. Organised? Yes! Effective? Yes.

A world away from what we are witnessing at the moment.

Agreed.

McGee has got one SPL team to challenge for 3rd place once.

Levein has done it with two teams, twice with us.

Every time he has had a full season in the SPL and been allowed to built a team, his guys have been challenging for 3rd, without fail.

So I prefer CL's record to McGee's, then add on the fact that CL bleeds maroon and you don't have a decision to make.

I don't remember tactics. I remember scorelines and scorers.

5-1 anyone? Stamp anyone?

I don't remember what happened 2 passes before De Vries put the ball in the back of the net. All I remember is him putting the ball in the back of the net.

For all his clumsiness, what I wouldn't give for a Mark De Vries type of player in the Hearts team right now......

Not that I wouldn't be happy with McGee fully in charge of footbal affairs, but:

Levein + ? = Success

NoseLikeMahe

Did any of the people who bleat on about CL and defensive, long ball football watch the CIS Cup final? He does what he can with what he's given... I'd happily see the kind of stuff Dundee Utd played at Hampden every week.

Craig loves Hearts. If he had his pick, he'd be back at Tynie. 100%. His relationship with Eddie Thompson will prevent it while Eddie is still around.

People question if CL is good enough for Hearts... Question is are Hearts, in their current shambolic state, good enough for him? (same could be argued on McGhee.. he's not a Hearts man though, so doesn't have the emotional pull to the job)

I was so ****ed of with Craig when he left, mainly due to the timing and where he went, but I'd have him back tommorrow. Don't know if he'd fit in with Vlad but I'd like to see what he could do with some money to buy some attackig players.

I don't mind if he concentrates on having a good defence first as that's what all good managers do.( Unless they go to Newcastle of course0

shaun.lawson
I think Levein, McGhee & Chisholm are all doing a fantastic job this season at unfashionable clubs with very limited resources - would you disagree?

No, not at all. But Levein and McGhee are doing it at SPL clubs (a second in CL's case), whereas MM also did really well with Reading, Millwall and Brighton before joining Motherwell. Chisholm is doing it at a lower level, and when he had the chance to manage an SPL side, failed horribly - only if he was a big success with a top flight club could someone like him come into the reckoning.

Charlie-Brown
No, not at all. But Levein and McGhee are doing it at SPL clubs (a second in CL's case), whereas MM also did really well with Reading, Millwall and Brighton before joining Motherwell. Chisholm is doing it at a lower level, and when he had the chance to manage an SPL side, failed horribly - only if he was a big success with a top flight club could someone like him come into the reckoning.

Chisholm failed at Dundee Utd which many managers were / have failed at - it was also his first real managerial experience - however whilst Queen of the South are a lower level his improvement of them has been with much less resources (relative to the competition) than he had at Dundee Utd so it suggests he has improved as a manager and crucially learned from the Dundee Utd experience just as Levein has learned from the Leicester & Hearts experiences.

Anyway I only posted Chisholm as you'd omitted the St Johnstone option however as there is no cast iron guarantee that either McGhee or Levein will decide to become the next Hearts manager it wouldn't do us any harm to consider some alternatives. :)

Charlie-Brown

I'd also point out that both Levein & Paateleinan came from a lower level when they joined Hearts & Hibs respectively whilst Alex MacDonald, Tony Mowbray & John Collins had virtually no managerial experience before they were appointed as managers.

Strapon could be for the heave come the summer and sure as sh*t that McGhee would be gagging for that job over the Tynecastle position. Though I hear that Moyles is stalling over contract extension talks so who knows.

I voted for Levein but would happily take either. Wouldn't take Strapon though, unless it was outside and I had an Uzi 9mm :D

Archived