Gary Mackay says League before Scottish Cup?

redm

League or Cup?  

208 members have voted

1. 1. League or Cup? Which is your priority?

Simply both... Although as you rightly say, it is a far more complex question than just that.

If it is a choice between genuinely challenging for the league title then that has to be priority but that way we could end up neglecting the cup and our (probably) only realistic chance of a trophy. On the other hand the thought of us not having the belief to challenge for the title is enough to make me want to give up altogether... we should always believe we are capable of winning the tournament we have entered for the last century plus.

Considering the above, i think you have to trust that we are treating both with equal desire and respect and wanting and trying to win both.

I voted league though... Just because I want to win it. i know that that is very unlikely though and I would rather have the Scottish Cup than finish second or third.

Someone mentioned earlier (sorry, forget who!) that it's funny how we even give this stuff consideration - it's evidence of the psychological differences between us and the OF. I don't visit OF fans forums but if I did, would I find them getting all tied up in knots over their finishing place in the league versus the importance of the Scottish Cup? I doubt it. Mind you, history and experience probably stops us from thinking any other way...

I wish my first instinct was to rely on what I know and what I saw. I know that we're decent, I know we can beat anyone on our day and I know we're capable of winning against the OF and putting a challenge to them in league terms. I also know that we are more than capable of putting together a decent run in the Scottish Cup. With my very own eyes, I've seen Hearts play some very decent stuff and I've seen Celtic and Rangers both being utterly mince at times. But I guess it's like a fear of spiders or something - I know it's irrational and common sense should tell me that we're in a good position but I'm still going to worry about it anyway. Being a non-OF fan does something weird to the psyche. :)

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Under 5,000 going to tonights game. That shows the interest Hearts fans have.

The biggest games are against the Old Firm and it is important our best players are available for these games if we are serious about the league.

Truly baffling views you have at times mate? So, we are guaranteed to win the league then if we rest our best players?

Rangers got 13k last night but they still want to get to the final and win it. You aren`t grasping the mentality you need to win things, league or cups.

The cup has always had a history of gates being lower in the early stages of the tourney unless you draw a big rival.

If we get to the quarters and are still flying high i`d expect a big gate if drawn at home, no matter who we get.

Here`s hoping we go further though. Love the big day out at Hampdump.

Charlie-Brown

Under 5,000 going to tonights game. That shows the interest Hearts fans have.

The biggest games are against the Old Firm and it is important our best players are available for these games if we are serious about the league.

I think you have to factor in all of the following;

1. really cold weather

2. early january after xmas & new year - many people still 2-3 weeks from pay day

3. have to buy a ticket not part of ST package

4. relatively high ticket prices

5. 7 matches in 23 days - not everybody can afford to attend that amount so pick & choose plus also soon after recent xmas & new year fixtures - simply too much football for many peoples budget at this time of year.

6. Midweek games don't suit some people - especially many of those with children / school-night etc

turns oot the sagely gary was right all along. knew that man always talked sense.

the league MUST take priority of course.

stick yer cup up yer erse.

I wholeheartedly agree with Gary Mackay. :thumbsup:

This morning I thought we had our name written on the cup. Looked like a clear passage to the quarter final and one half of OF would also be missing.

How can anyone prioritise the league over the cup. Lose a game in the cup and you are out. Lose a game in the league and you can recover. The Scottish Cup is always our best chance of a trophy and an 8th win would put us in all time fourth place. Win 5 games and you have another trophy in the cabinet.

The season is basically finished in terms of being able to win anything. What a sad state of affairs.

This morning I thought we had our name written on the cup. Looked like a clear passage to the quarter final and one half of OF would also be missing.

How can anyone prioritise the league over the cup. Lose a game in the cup and you are out. Lose a game in the league and you can recover. The Scottish Cup is always our best chance of a trophy and an 8th win would put us in all time fourth place. Win 5 games and you have another trophy in the cabinet.

The season is basically finished in terms of being able to win anything. What a sad state of affairs.

Think Gambo is being funny Vera.(look at time of post). Im not ashamed, like other it seems, to feel quite down at this moment in time. I HATE going out the cup early and so pitifully the way we did and have done now for the last two seasons.

Also, lets be fackin honest we should be beating teams like that at home. Don`t want to hear we dont have the "divine right" pash..you SHOULD think you have, you`ve got to be selfish to be a winner. We don`t have enough in our squad.

Think Gambo is being funny Vera.(look at time of post). Im not ashamed, like other it seems, to feel quite down at this moment in time. I HATE going out the cup early and so pitifully the way we did and have done now for the last two seasons.

Also, lets be fackin honest we should be beating teams like that at home. Don`t want to hear we dont have the "divine right" pash..you SHOULD think you have, you`ve got to be selfish to be a winner. We don`t have enough in our squad.

Yeah - I wasn't getting at Gambo - I was just in his post when I hit reply. I know he was having a laugh.

We should be beating every team at home. That's what I would expect.

JJ and the squad should have been on a very juicy bonus to advance. What a laugh thinking they have one eye on the league. Third place is what they are talking about. Lets forget about the cup and concentrate on a safe third place finish.

My signature really does say it all, time after time after time.

Archived