Hearts V Dundee Utd - 12 April 1986

Walter Bishop

Walter Bishop

I was only wee at the time but can remember the 10,000 or so Jambo`s constantly singing "championees" throughout the match,United unbeaten at home for nearly 2 years and what about the wee boy that ran onto the park!! what a game, my favourite game i have ever been to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxUMj-u2lW4&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DN83ooacPCA&feature=related

ok watched back from the brink earlier and now the full highlights of this, all the suppressed memories from 25 years ago are now surfacing...but i am still so proud of what that team did.

Just as a footnote I'd completely forgotten about that kid coming onto the pitch.

Walter Bishop

Henry's save from the free kick in the 2nd half is one of the best ever by a Hearts keeper.

yep, though if if i remember he produced an even better one on that fateful day at Dens not long into the second half.

Great day... Brings a tear to the eye. Great players then..

Always remember wee Robbos's celebration and ending up down near the wall miles from where i was standing..

If you were to make a list of the greatest Hearts moments of say, the last 40 years, then this would make the top 10 or maybe even the top five, along with the likes of beating Bayern Munich, overturning Leipzig, Wayne Forster, 1998 and Bednar's strike v Rangers and a certain Scottish Cup semi final.

It was our finest hour of 1985/86 against a vintage Dundee Utd side, and the second time in eight days we'd beaten them, effectively ending their season.

If we could've played as well as that in either of our remaining games, we would've had the silverware.

The young chap wearing the red C&A ski jacket who is behind the goal after Robbo makes it 3-0 was a friend of mine.

Even almost 26 years on, watching this game still makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand up. It really was a complete team performance where every player contributed something to that win.

On the back of that performance, Archie was unfortunately right - the title was ours to lose.

What excites me more is if we come through a tough run of matches between now and the beginning of February and maintain our current league position, then we could have more away matches like this to look forward to in April 2011. It's hard keeping feet on the ground here and now, especially looking back at 1985/1986.

Archie's interview with Doddie and his final piece to camera in the last minute reminds me of Andy Peebles' interview with John Lennon on Dec 6th 1980.

That was and always will be one of my most favorite ever Hearts matches. Remember how steep the terracing was at tannadice, no idea how I wasn't seriously injured at the goals.

For some reason all the Hearts fans singing 'Living Doll' by cliff and the Young Ones at half time always sticks in mind as well.

Great times, and why the hibbies or anyone else will never understand that as bad as it ended - if we had to do it all again, knowing the outcome, I still would: as that was a season to behold.

The White Cockade

One of the best games i've ever been to - great goals, great atmosphere

i'll remember the first goal for the rest of my life

We all left Tannadice thinking the league title was in the bag

Great days whatever happened at Dens Park later

Goldstone Wonder

What a day. I've got goosebumps and a lump in my throat watching that. We might not have won the league that season but they can't take away our memories....

For some reason all the Hearts fans singing 'Living Doll' by cliff and the Young Ones at half time always sticks in mind as well.

I'm guessing because it was number one in the charts.

By the time Hearts went to Dens a few weeks later, the UK number one single was 'A Different Corner' by George Michael.

Many of Michael's lyrics were uncannily prophetic and seemed to speak out to us suffering Hearts fans.

Not bad for a man who shoved shuttercocks down his shorts.

4.36 min in.

A very young* and stylish** DH sporting a light blue 'Ski Jacket' and a tea cosy hat.

:)

* = :huh:

** = :rofl:

:thumbsup:

Drylaw Hearts

Only kidding dude. :thumbsup:

I knew you were kidding bh.

Nobody could possibly be seriously laughing at the clobber.

Ski Wear in April 86 was a must.

:ninja:

Archived