Maloney v Fyssas

McJambo

Without doubt Maloney dived and Brines orgasmed as he brought out the red card but why did Takis dive in anyway ? It was way out on the touchline and completely unnecessary.

But to agree with another poster, this is the angriest I have ever left a game too.

And does anyone remember Rudi shooting straight at Boruc when he could have made it 3-0 before half time ? That missed chance changed the season for me more than the red card.

It reminded me of the new years derby in 97-98. We went two up and Mickey had a chance to make it three before the break. Other results cost us that season as well but that miss made me think we had given up our chance. Same thing happened in 05-06 against septic, I just feel that the momentum generated by beating them that day would have pushed us on, we may not have won the league but a couple of results that didn't go our way may have been different. All in the past now.

P.S. OP why?

I didn't and still don't think it was a dive, I thought he hurdled the challenge and lost his balance. It shouldn't have been a red card because he'd lost control of the ball so it wasn't a clear goalscoring opportunity. a Free kick and a Yellow card would have been the right decision imo. You don't have to make nay contact at all for it to be a foul, Fyssas clearly attempted to bring him down.

Balde on Cesnauskis in the same game was a definite red card offence.

I didn't and still don't think it was a dive, I thought he hurdled the challenge and lost his balance. It shouldn't have been a red card because he'd lost control of the ball so it wasn't a clear goalscoring opportunity. a Free kick and a Yellow card would have been the right decision imo. You don't have to make nay contact at all for it to be a foul, Fyssas clearly attempted to bring him down.

Balde on Cesnauskis in the same game was a definite red card offence.

Thank you..........

And in answer to the post saying OP why??

I just saw Berbatovs "penalty" and Maloneys dive being compared yesterday. Theye are completely different in my opinion. Takis dived in and yes without a doubt Maloney could have stayed on his feet but if he had done so he would most likely have either lost the ball (takis would have won it) or been clattered. So out of his three options which would you choose? Nick the ball away and go down, just touch it and get hammered by a wild lunge or bottle it out the challenge and win a throw in?

Berbatov on the other hand easily had possession of the ball and the brush from Agger was nowhere near enough contact to send him flying, he dived. He cheated.

On a side not - how good is Elliot in that game?

The first 45 minutes from Elliot was incredible.

Backheels galore, great control, good movement.

He obviously had something, just never been able to kick on from there.

Tynecastle Valhalla

it was a blatant dive. he does it all the time.

if you genuinly think it wasn't then there is a problem

Sitting in row 9 of section F I was praying Takis wouldn't jump in - stupid, stupid challenge. Red card? No contact and miles from everything so probably not but its the classic situation of allowing the ref to make a decision and against the OF its only going to go one way!

From Maloney's point of view - this pic shows it perfectly http://www.snspix.com/image/827663_827663.jpg its not even like he is out of stride from the challenge - its a dive but Takis gave him the opportunity to dive with the rash tackle.

Morgaro Gomis

Thank you..........

I just saw Berbatovs "penalty" and Maloneys dive being compared yesterday. Theye are completely different in my opinion. Takis dived in and yes without a doubt Maloney could have stayed on his feet but if he had done so he would most likely have either lost the ball (takis would have won it) or been clattered. So out of his three options which would you choose? Nick the ball away and go down, just touch it and get hammered by a wild lunge or bottle it out the challenge and win a throw in?

Berbatov on the other hand easily had possession of the ball and the brush from Agger was nowhere near enough contact to send him flying, he dived. He cheated.

Part in bold sums it up for me. He knew what he was doing, and chose to go down to get the most he could for his team, (Getting Takis sent off and win a freekick) instead of only winning a throw in. Since he chose to go down, when he could have stayed up, means he dived for me. And therefore, he is a cheating wee rat.

StuDu the Jambo

Just wanted to clear this up.

IMO, although the red card was rescinded Maloney didn't "dive".

Fyssas went to ground and Maloney rode the challenge else he would have probably gotten a sore one. I thought this at the time and I still think it years later.

Strange one to bring up now but I keep seeing it popping up about Maloney diving, anyone who has played the game will tell you there are times when a bad tackle comes in and you nick the ball away and try to avoid the challenge, it happens every week.

McJambo, U sure ur no McTic. It was a clear dive. Dnt no were u get he rode the tackle.

Thank you..........

:facepalm:

So, you're admitting Maloney cheated then?

Morgaro Gomis

Thank you..........

Also, "the brush from Agger was nowhere near enough contact to send him flying, he dived. He cheated" - wait, there was slight contact there, yet he dived and cheated (agree that he did, btw.)

But, when there is NO contact whatsoever, on maloney, he didnt dive, he just rode the challenge? :huh:

Part in bold sums it up for me. He knew what he was doing, and chose to go down to get the most he could for his team, (Getting Takis sent off and win a freekick) instead of only winning a throw in. Since he chose to go down, when he could have stayed up, means he dived for me. And therefore, he is a cheating wee rat.

Comparable to Berbatov though?

Who's options were stay on his feet in full control of the ball, or throw himself down like a complete *****.

Who is more of a cheat?

Take the hatred of Celtic and Maloney to one side..............

Thunderstruck

For me, the rescinding of the red card added insult to injury.

Maloney knew exactly what he was doing as did Brines.

It is sad however that the revisionist view from Parkhead seems to be gathering support from people that you would expect had full control of their faculties.

Dunno how there can even be an argument, no contact yet that dirty ******* threw himself to the deck. I saw it as clearly as cheat Brines from my seat in section G row 3 seat 5. If that had been Miko, the SFA would have torn up his registration.

Morgaro Gomis

Comparable to Berbatov though?

Who's options were stay on his feet in full control of the ball, or throw himself down like a complete *****.

Who is more of a cheat?

Take the hatred of Celtic and Maloney to one side..............

Believe me, I wasn't saying Berbatov didn't dive, in my opinion he did. They both did.

They are both cheats. I just hate Celtic and Maloney more than United and Berbatov.

Also, "the brush from Agger was nowhere near enough contact to send him flying, he dived. He cheated" - wait, there was slight contact there, yet he dived and cheated (agree that he did, btw.)

But, when there is NO contact whatsoever, on maloney, he didnt dive, he just rode the challenge? :huh:

The reason there was no contact was because Maloney jumped over Fyssas lunging at him. With Maloney there was a challenge their that he either took and got hit or "rode" "jumped" etc, say dived if you want.

Berbatov? Was there really a challenge worth of him falling over the way he did? I think picking Maloney was maybe a bad idea because people cant see past the Celtic connections and the way it turned that particular game but from my years playing football I see what Maloney did happen all the time, players dont stand around waiting to get hit when a dangerous tackle comes in they do their best to get out the way of it.

Players who fall over with minimal contact are the real "divers" and "cheats". E.g Berbatov and...........to show I'm not biased Gerrard http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qqjx6IyWxjo

Ok, ok.

You're right.

Shaun Maloney is an exemplary professional and Takis Fyssas is a horrible thug.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Just wanted to clear this up.

IMO, although the red card was rescinded Maloney didn't "dive".

Fyssas went to ground and Maloney rode the challenge else he would have probably gotten a sore one. I thought this at the time and I still think it years later.

Strange one to bring up now but I keep seeing it popping up about Maloney diving, anyone who has played the game will tell you there are times when a bad tackle comes in and you nick the ball away and try to avoid the challenge, it happens every week.

Do one

Dunno how there can even be an argument, no contact yet that dirty ******* threw himself to the deck. I saw it as clearly as cheat Brines from my seat in section G row 3 seat 5.

I was considerably closer than yaew; section g, row 5, seat 23 !

If Takis hadn't dived in, would we have been champions ?

The fact that we were 17 points adrift of The Green Filth says perhaps not....

He's a cheating wee barsteward.

But it was five years ago.

If we win our next two games we'll have the same points total after the same number of games if 01/01/06 had ended in a draw.

If Celtic win their next two they'll be on the same points total after the same number of games as they were after Maloney helped them cheat their way to the win.

I care more about what happens this week.

Tables here: http://www.londonhearts.com/scores/games/200601011.html

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/scot_prem/table/default.stm

If we win our next two games we'll have the same points total after the same number of games if 01/01/06 had ended in a draw.

If Celtic win their next two they'll be on the same points total after the same number of games as they were after Maloney helped them cheat their way to the win.

Is that right ?!

This season has echoes of that season and of 85/86.

I've seen us finish second fooour times.

I want the title.

Is that right ?!

This season has echoes of that season and of 85/86.

I've seen us finish second fooour times.

I want the title.

Yeup. Difference being we were on the slide at the point under old lizard lips.

Not saying we're going to win the league, but we're in the hunt for the moment. You never know...

Archived