Hearts v Ayr Unt - 12 Feb 1983

No longer active

lost in leith

Jardine FFS, how could I forget that one!

:mellow:

Bit sad answering my own trivia question I know, but I made it -

Henry Smith

Sandy Jardine

Gary Mackay

Dave Bowman

Willie Johnston

Willie Pettigrew

Robbo (sub not used)

Bobby Connor

Ahhhhhh season 1982/83, fantastic memories of a season in Division 1, that season was full of memorable moments, starting with the League Cup games against Clyde away, Motherwell, St.Mirren and Rangers at home along with our first visit to the new Ibrox in that semi final, the Tom Hart Memorial Trophy ahem :-o,

the massive crowd against St.Johnstone on New Years Day, the one and only time there was no boys gate in the Gorgie Road End that day as The Perth Pack were housed in there.

The Scottish Cup game against the bheggars, despite the result The Gorgie Boys put on a decent show that day ;- ) and last but not least the trip to Boghead to officially claim our spot in the Premier Division, pity we didn't win the championship that season but at least we have went on to achieve a better status than St.Johnstone.

I'm sure everyone would agree that season 82/83 was the foundation for better things in the near future, i then raise my glass of G&T to His Majesty Wallace Mercer and his board of directors, Sir Alex Macdonald and Sir William Jardine for their tremendous job in creating that stability to ensure that when we went up we didn't come tumbling down.

Happy Talking, Talking, Happy Talk, Come On Eileen, Na Na Na Na, Na Na Na Na, Hey Hey Hey Gorgie .......

Particularly enjoyed that result as one of my best mates at the time was an Ayr fan. Still have the Rothmans for that season. According to it McInally wasn't involved but 8 other full Scotland internationals (past and future) were - can you name them?

Alex Macdonald, Sandy Jardine, Gary Mackay, Willie Pettigrew, Henry Smith, Willie Johnstone, John Robertson, Dave Bowman and Robert Connor, I make it 9 Internationalists.

I was there too in the shed - my first season up there. I remember someone setting fire to a newspaper which caused a bit of commotion, and wondering if it would end up on the telly.

I've many fond memories of that season, would hate it to ever go back down there now though.

Its quite spooky how many people on jkb were in that sparse crowd.

Chalk up one more for the 'I was there' gang.

I could be mistaken, but that might have been the game I was at with a Sellik-supporting mate who didn't go through to Parkhead where Eric Black scored all 3 in an Aberdeen victory. I'll check LondonHearts stats and edit this if I'm wrong.:D

On the maroon and white seats in the (now) Wheatfield stand area.

gorgie_rebel

Was a fully fledged home and away fan by then.

There was about 5 seasons where we never missed one Hearts game home or away and this season was definately one of them.

We even went to ridiculous pre seson games against the likes of Whitley Bay Amatures and away up to Nairn and Forres as well.

Great days. Loved it.

the crowd is going to be above the official figures at this rate as i to was there.If anyone had asked me whay year it was from i would never had said 1983. I would have thought before that. On a side note,that is what i call a maroon strip.

No longer active

Good to see Heart of Midlothian players wearing proper Heart of Midlothian shirts!

:)

Still got that shirt somewhere

I was part of the 4,500 odd at the game. Away fans were housed in Section N that season.

It is wrong to wish football was like that again - not dominated by money, tv etc..... that when Hearts were Hearts in my book.

Showed the laddie tonight and he does not understand the 'beauty' of Hearts back then. :sweat:

Showed this video to my lad as well, he couldn't see the attraction either and looking at it now neither can I. Happy days indeed. :whistling:

Makes you realise just how bad things were then but like a few have mentioned the craik was superb.

ps. I was at this game too. (Crowd must have been about 35,000 eh? )

God knows what our average crowds were in those days but I remember quite a few really big crowds for key games in that era.

I think I am right in saying that 8 of the top ten attendances in the lower divisions, are held by us ( not that its a great deal to be proud of)

Remnants of Standards

I'm sure we were pulling in more than hibs in the first division apart from when the old firm visited them. Personal highlight of this season was a screamer from robbo into the top corner at the gorgie rd end during a 4-0 win v partick. Still one of the best goals I've seen at tynie.

Back then those old goals were one of the things that defined Tynecastle, anybody any idea what year we got rid of those?

I was also there and aged about 12 a home and away fan that season on the ace of Hearts bus, had to sell those 10p fruit machine cards to pay for the bus. The thing was in those days technology wasnt what it is now, but I has worked out that you could see through the back of them if you held them up against a bgright lightbulb, so the only winner was me.

I also remember me and my mates getting rescued down at Ayr by big Bernie as we had been chased by loads of Ayr fans down there, ah those were the days, waiting at RS McColl on the Calder road for the 6pm pink delivery so you could read about the game you had just seen. And getting a drink from that brass cup as you came in at the school end.

Back then those old goals were one of the things that defined Tynecastle, anybody any idea what year we got rid of those?

Had them for one more season, 1983/84, after that Hearts adopted the " D " style stancheon that was placed only at the top corners of the goalposts, this design allowed the net to drop pretty close to the goal line in comparison to the earlier design and the modern "box" goal we have.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz yeah ok i'll get my coat.

I wisny there, defo cos I was in Hong Kong holding back the communist hordes, but what struck me looking at the old footage was the contrast with how the game is played now ie speed etc and the conditions I suspect some of the modern players would be upset if they had to play in what was considered normal conditions in those days.

Wasn't that where the benches were? :unsure:

I was there before the benches... Bloody progress... In the good old days.. I had a season ticket in them days (still do).. i wee book in a brown leather cover..

I was there before the benches... Bloody progress... In the good old days.. I had a season ticket in them days (still do).. i wee book in a brown leather cover..

The juvenile books were only about ?8 if i remember rightly, when we got promoted they went up to premier prices, my memory tells me somewhere in the region of ?12/?14 !!!!!!!!

My cup final ticket from 1986 was only ?3.

BIG JOCK ........................... Oh the irony lol

Not many of the young team would recognise this "futuristic" architecture of the good old bad days.

Archived