Hearts v Ayr Unt - 12 Feb 1983

No longer active

Tiberius Stinkfinger

Never missed many games that season, wish I had at the time.

Willie Pettigrew was a good looking lad.....:P

Howdy Doody Jambo

I was in the old enclosure that day with a couple of class mates , can remember the song " The story of the blues " by Wah

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qivNw_QLGQ4

being played and Alan Rambo McInally comming on as a sub for Ayr , that was a good season which saw the emergence of New Hearts , MacKay , Bowman , Robertson mixed with MacDonal , Johnstone and Jardine , we had a good mix of young and experienced pros which was moulded the club for the future and brought us back from the brink .

Happy Days

I was part of that sparse crowd!

:mellow:

I wasn't .................:verymad:

It was my opinion that season that I'd been f***** up the ass once too often by those sipping G&Ts in the Tynie boardroom

Aye I know, staying away doesn't help ultimately but what is one to do?

I assume in previous years we had taken in as much cash as anyone else outwith the OF and perhaps Aberdeen at that

stage so where did it go ?...............certainly not on ground improvements back then !

rudeskaboyuk

God that was great seeing that again. I was in the old stand for the game and remember being surprised that the tv cameras were there. If i recall the weather had made a lot of Premier league games to be called off. Mind you the weather does not look that bad ! 4,294 London Hearts site.

Felt like more at the time.

The last season we were in 1st division. More memories. Look how sparse the crowd was.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwAD86g3wiA

So was I - in my usual spot in these days in the south enclosure.

Miller Jambo 60

So was I - in my usual spot in these days in the south enclosure.

I was in the south enclosure , well until i was thrown out for shoutingdry.gif mups.

I was in the south enclosure , well until i was thrown out for shoutingdry.gif mups.

Used to be a great place to watch the games - some of the banter in there from some the old guys was great.

Doctor FinnBarr

Young and daft as I was, think that was one of the seasons I didn't miss a game (home or away).

Thats how I knew I was there!

:thumbsup:

Miller Jambo 60

Used to be a great place to watch the games - some of the banter in there from some the old guys was great.

I used to stand at the tunnel, great bunch o guys stood there.

I used to stand at the tunnel, great bunch o guys stood there.

Used to stand just down from the refreshment kiosk - used to be about eight or ten of us there mostly regulars from the Cross Keys.

I used to stand under the floodlight pilon in the School end every second week.... Great crack with the boys. Oh and what a dire season that was...

That makes me a little sad watching that.

it was really sad at the time - I never ever want to see Hearts sink to that level again!!

jambos are go!

I was there and we thought we had hit rock bottom. But Gary Mackay and Dave Bowman were in the 1st team and wee Robbo was just around the corner. The likes of Jardine and Willie Jordan brought much needed experience and quality and Henry Smith was at the start of a long distinguished career as our Keeper. There is always hope.

Doctor FinnBarr

I was there and we thought we had hit rock bottom. But Gary Mackay and Dave Bowman were in the 1st team and wee Robbo was just around the corner. The likes of Jardine and Willie Jordan brought much needed experience and quality and Henry Smith was at the start of a long distinguished career as our Keeper. There is always hope.

Who?

:P

it was really sad at the time - I never ever want to see Hearts sink to that level again!!

Correct. Some good times and memories but it was a struggle to get back and stay in the top flight and actually win trophies again. 28 consecutive years now in the top league now so that's a bonus!!

scott herbertson

Me too - remember it like it was yesterday! :thumbsup:

My last year as a season ticket holder before I went up to Aberdeen, then Dundee then London

Football was terrible but the times and the mates were good

Johanes de Silentio

My last year as a season ticket holder before I went up to Aberdeen, then Dundee then London

Football was terrible but the times and the mates were good

I was only about 14/15 ar the time, so the football seemed ok to me - used to love Pettigrew & Byrne! :blink:

Funny how things stick in your mind, but I remember the Ayr 'keeper (Scott McKay?) making an awesome save from a long-range effert by Peter Shields, another big favourite for me.

Big Henry took a wee while to win me over, but what a brilliant signing he turned out to be for us!

stirlingshirejambo

I was only about 14/15 ar the time, so the football seemed ok to me - used to love Pettigrew & Byrne! :blink:

Funny how things stick in your mind, but I remember the Ayr 'keeper (Scott McKay?) making an awesome save from a long-range effert by Peter Shields, another big favourite for me.

Big Henry took a wee while to win me over, but what a brilliant signing he turned out to be for us!

##

Paddy Byrne was one of my favourites

Remember thinking he must be pretty special as we got him from the mighty Leicester City I think and we flew him home to Ireland after everygame

God how bad must things have been but really my age group didn't really know any better. We are spoilt now

scots civil war

right at the fence,the very back centre, behind the school end regular

em crowds in them days were about 6,7 thousand iirc

Me and my Grandad disappeared from my aunties wedding between the reg office and the reception to go to that match, good times!!

lost in leith

I was in the old enclosure that day with a couple of class mates , can remember the song " The story of the blues " by Wah

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=qivNw_QLGQ4

being played and Alan Rambo McInally comming on as a sub for Ayr , that was a good season which saw the emergence of New Hearts , MacKay , Bowman , Robertson mixed with MacDonal , Johnstone and Jardine , we had a good mix of young and experienced pros which was moulded the club for the future and brought us back from the brink .

Happy Days

Particularly enjoyed that result as one of my best mates at the time was an Ayr fan. Still have the Rothmans for that season. According to it McInally wasn't involved but 8 other full Scotland internationals (past and future) were - can you name them?

Ditto!

By the way, do you notice the remarkable similarity of O'Connor's goal to his first versus Rangers in the 3-2 game?

Jambo_in_Madrid

I?m pretty sure that I?m one of the wee boys standing behind the goals at the Gorgie Road end - the crowd is so sparse - those were tough times to be a Hearts fan.

Doctor FinnBarr

Particularly enjoyed that result as one of my best mates at the time was an Ayr fan. Still have the Rothmans for that season. According to it McInally wasn't involved but 8 other full Scotland internationals (past and future) were - can you name them?

Eh, MacKay, Johnston, Smith, nope, the rest escape me just now, off tomorrow so having a drink!

:whistling:

Doctor FinnBarr

Eh, MacKay, Johnston, Smith, nope, the rest escape me just now, off tomorrow so having a drink!

:whistling:

Jardine FFS, how could I forget that one!

I was part of the 4,500 odd at the game. Away fans were housed in Section N that season.

It is wrong to wish football was like that again - not dominated by money, tv etc..... that when Hearts were Hearts in my book.

Showed the laddie tonight and he does not understand the 'beauty' of Hearts back then. :sweat:

Remnants of Standards

I'm actually in the shot second from left I think. We always used to go in that end for some reason, we'd have the whole of the gorgie rd end to choose a vantage point for some games..until promotion, then it was round to the shed.

What was memorable about that game was the unusual presence of tv cameras.

Unlike the saturation coverage you get now, it was a real event watching the highlights the next day, arthur montford and all. (Cue hovis theme tune)

Johanes de Silentio

I'm actually in the shot second from left I think. We always used to go in that end for some reason, we'd have the whole of the gorgie rd end to choose a vantage point for some games..until promotion, then it was round to the shed.

What was memorable about that game was the unusual presence of tv cameras.

Unlike the saturation coverage you get now, it was a real event watching the highlights the next day, arthur montford and all. (Cue hovis theme tune)

That's true, actually - remember being really excited that the cameras were there! :lol:

...a bit disco

I?m pretty sure that I?m one of the wee boys standing behind the goals at the Gorgie Road end - the crowd is so sparse - those were tough times to be a Hearts fan.

Me too.

Wasn't the Gorgie Road end under 16s when we were in the first.

Sure it was about 75p to get in!

Me too.

Wasn't the Gorgie Road end under 16s when we were in the first.

Sure it was about 75p to get in!

I remember my mate's dad used to take us along about that time and bitched about the prices, god knows how folk with kids nowadays must feel.

The last season we were in 1st division. More memories. Look how sparse the crowd was.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwAD86g3wiA

Superb never missed a home game that season, 12 years old at the time and was the last season I stood with my dad and his mates right at the back of the terrace behind the goals at the school end, before becoming a ball boy.

I was in the main stand. Its quite spooky how many people on jkb were in that sparse crowd.

Its also spooky to think that only 3 years later we had gone from these depths to being minutes from being champions.

Also shows how many glory hunters came back when we'd a chance of winning something.

Buffalo Bill

I know it sounds like bandwagon jumping here, but I TOO was at this game (with my brother), and so impressed was I by the Ayr goalkeeper's pastel coloured outfit - I wore the same sort of thing for my next game in goals for Stenhouse Primary.

Unlike Craigyboy, I have a tremendous nostalgia for this period, football-wise because we were on 'the brink' of a new era which was eventually to lead to John Robertson, 1985/86, complete derby dominance and a Uefa Cup quarter final.

82/83 were a team full of fighters and promising kids. With Hearts, I would tend to go back only to 2008 to find a reason to be really sad.

Doctor FinnBarr

I was in the main stand. Its quite spooky how many people on jkb were in that sparse crowd.

Its also spooky to think that only 3 years later we had gone from these depths to being minutes from being champions.

Also shows how many glory hunters came back when we'd a chance of winning something.

We're still not real fans tho!

Cheers OP - Was my first ever Hearts game. I'm sure I can remember watching it later on Scotsport and peein myself laughing as it showed 2 older guys with cracking moustaches shouting, swearing and giving the vickies to an Ayr player right in front of the camera.

Started going to football around that time and always said that my first game was against a team in black and white which we won something like 5-0. If it is this game then i was in the Gorgie Road end with some pals, sitting on the terracing, leaning against the fence at the back looking down on the Wheatfield end corner flag. This was the game that got me hooked on the Jambos, only missing a handful of games since until the season after Frail was in charge.

I was always a Hearts fan as a small kid until an uncle who was Rangers daft spent a fortune on Rangers crap for me one Christmas when i was about 10, i didn't really watch football as a kid so my first ever game was a Premier League match at Easter Road against Rangers. I remember being decked out in a Rangers strip, UJ flag on my back and a Rangers cap on, walking down Fester Road and receiving absolute dogs abuse from Hibbys (always hated them strangely enough!) The score was 0-0, i was in the old enclosure and peering onto the pitch which was eye level,the only thing i remember of the game was that Arthur Duncan and Ally Brazil were incredibly ugly and Davie Cooper ripped them up for arse paper, that was my one and only match i've been to that didn't involve the Jambos. This game on this post was where it all started for me.

Remnants of Standards

Sadly (without looking it up that is) - I think the reason for the low attendance, was that we'd been beaten 2-1 by the bottom team dunfermline in midweek, and folk thought this was the start of another familiar slide in fortunes...oh and we obviously still had fairweather fans then too as it was tipping down.

Archived