For us older Jambos

Eggo

Is it just me or does the memories of 1986 keep bouncing back to your thoughts during our current run of form. It was the October we started on our heady run after a dreadful start,we looked superb as Xmas and New year came and went and of course we all know the outcome now,but wouldnt you just love the season to pan out the same...this time with the better ending.

Im not counting chickens,who of a certain age can..but bring it on for me :thumbsup:

Is it just me or does the memories of 1986 keep bouncing back to your thoughts during our current run of form. It was the October we started on our heady run after a dreadful start,we looked superb as Xmas and New year came and went and of course we all know the outcome now,but wouldnt you just love the season to pan out the same...this time with the better ending.

Im not counting chickens,who of a certain age can..but bring it on for me :thumbsup:

Definitely similarities mate. I suppose we are all waiting to see where Hearts are come that crucial turn into April. Its a long way off yet but just keep our heads down, keep focused week to week and you never know?

It was good and horrific at the same time..... Glad we got that far though.

I can still remember the noise of the ball hitting the back of the net ... Im away to cry..

Oh and FTH.

We_are_the_Hearts

One game at a time, don't want it to end in tears :P

Seriously, difference this time is that the New Firm are honking and not taking points off the OF. This makes it much harder to bridge the gap because of our poor start. In 1986 Rangers were honking but Celtic, Utd and Aberdeen were evenly matched. Just need to keep chipping away and have a good crack at the Scottish Cup.

one of the aspects of the 1985/86 unbeaten run was that both hearts AND hibs started out on decent runs at the same time. hibs run eventually came to an abrupt end of course, while ours went on and on (27 league games - 31 in total).

we've only played old firm sides on one occasion during this current run. we have three more in a short space of time coming up soon, then our final 9 pre-split games are old firm free.

if we come through the hard spell unbeaten then it's definitely like 1985/86.

One game at a time, don't want it to end in tears :P

Seriously, difference this time is that the New Firm are honking and not taking points off the OF. This makes it much harder to bridge the gap because of our poor start. In 1986 Rangers were honking but Celtic, Utd and Aberdeen were evenly matched. Just need to keep chipping away and have a good crack at the Scottish Cup.

I see what you did there..Tears :smiliz64:

And your right about the other teams,this season at the moment I may add is a 3 team procession.

We_are_the_Hearts

I see what you did there..Tears :smiliz64:

And your right about the other teams,this season at the moment I may add is a 3 team procession.

Yep, just need to keep our momentum going. January will be a big month as we play the OF 3 times I think :thumbsup:

wheatfield to sheffield

85-86 was a 31 game unbeaten run.

OK, right now we have played 18 league games, and haven't lost in the last eight, so 20 to go.

There are still potentially five Scottish Cup games to play.

So, not losing in the next 19 league games, or the next four cup games ... we would go into the last day of the league, having a place in the cup final, having been unbeaten in 31.

We know what happened 25 years ago ... I feel sick thinking about it ...

wheatfield to sheffield

No top 6 breakaway back then either.So that may be the big play-off that some of the clubs are after.

If St Mirren were to sneak in to the top six, can you guess what their last game of the season would be?

Johanes de Silentio

Unfortunately, I'm afraid that we don't have anything like the same quality of player as Sandy Jardine, Levein, Robbo, JC, Clark, or Gary McKay.

As has been said, and as wee Doddie used to say back in '86, "one game at a time".

Let's just concentrate on beating THEM on Saturday! :thumbsup:

If we can beat the Old Firm in games coming up, as well as keep taking care of the St Mirrens of this world then we WILL be in the title race.

Despite the shattering ending to 1985/86, it was a tremendous time and so exciting.

Whatever the outcome, Jim, Billy, Gary and the team are giving it everything and that is all I can ask.

My thoughts too,hobo mate was trying wind me up about '86 other night,told him I'd take another '86 than win the wee cup,looking back it was a great era to be a Hearts fan.

My thoughts too,hobo mate was trying wind me up about '86 other night,told him I'd take another '86 than win the wee cup,looking back it was a great era to be a Hearts fan.

I always feel a bit sorry for Hibs fans who slag us off about 85/86.

It was a mind-blowing season for us, when one considers how we had spent the previous twenty years.

As well as going 31 games unbeaten, we also took seven points of out eight against Hibs.

By their reasoning, I'm guessing that they take great pleasure from that one point.

It was a mind-blowing season for us, when one considers how we had spent the previous twenty years.

As well as going 31 games unbeaten, we also took seven points of out eight against Hibs.

By their reasoning, I'm guessing that they take great pleasure from that one point.

If they only knew what a certain Albert Kidd thought of them they would have nothing to rabble on about. Remember the story I told you about AKs' reaction when finding out he had cost Hearts the title :thumbsup:

That would burst there wee bubble would it not haha

Motherwell not taking any points in their last 2 games has been a blow.

We need to take points off OF and some way get all the teams to warn the OF, especially Rangers that they are going to have to prioritise the competitions they are involved in, and not expect the league to be extended by a week or two so that the 50x+ champions get time to recover.

Motherwell not taking any points in their last 2 games has been a blow.

We need to take points off OF and some way get all the teams to warn the OF, especially Rangers that they are going to have to prioritise the competitions they are involved in, and not expect the league to be extended by a week or two so that the 50x+ champions get time to recover.

In fairness an extension to the season may benefit us,who knows :thumbsup:

In fairness an extension to the season may benefit us,who knows :thumbsup:

I'm not so sure.

Most of our injured guys are starting to come back and as we've proved recently when we've brought players in, they haven't detrimentally affected the performances/results.

Indeed we might be in a better position than Rangers to use our squad. I think our biggest loss would be Zal (did I say that) or Temps while Suso/Driver not fit.

Can Rangers cope without notably Miller or Davis - or Brougherra and even Weir (only because he gets away with murder)

Guest vanbasten1874

If they only knew what a certain Albert Kidd thought of them they would have nothing to rabble on about. Remember the story I told you about AKs' reaction when finding out he had cost Hearts the title :thumbsup:

That would burst there wee bubble would it not haha

What was his reaction ? missed that one !

Hearts Heritage

No. There are no teams capable of taken points off the OF. They will finish 1st and 2nd.

Apart from

2010-10-24 Celtic 1-3 Rangers SPL 58874

2010-10-30 Rangers 1-1 Inverness CT SPL 43697

2010-11-10 Heart of Midlothian 2-0 Celtic SPL 15632

2010-11-10 Rangers 0-3 Hibernian SPL 41514

2010-11-20 Celtic 1-1 Dundee United SPL 47523

2010-11-27 Celtic 2-2 Inverness CT SPL 46096

2010-12-11 Inverness CT 1-1 Rangers SPL 6799

2010-12-21 Celtic 1-1 Kilmarnock SPL 44522

You are of course absolutely correct. :whistling:

He was told that if they won that day they had qualified for Europe,Alex Rae(Dundee assistant Manager) told him that Rangers were losing 2-0 at Ibrox to Motherwell that day and if they won it was in the bag. On leaving the pitch Rae told him he only said it to gee him up and Kidd went mental at him at costing the team all players in the league apart from Celtic wanted to win it on the final day.He tried to enter the Hearts dressing room to apologise but wasnt allowed in. He told me it was his worst moment in his career.And kept saying he was sorry.This was all on the 1st day of the next season at East End park,I was there because id broken my foot and couldnt go to the Hearts game.

And before I hear the "he was paraded as a hero by Celtic and Hibs fans and milked it" ...off course he did.His career was virtually over after that game and probably craved the idolisation that many finished footballers crave.*see McAvennie etc for confirmation.

I said to him at the time that 'you played in a game and done your job' and believe me he appreciated what I said.He confirmed our conversation in the Daily Record in the 1998 cup final interview he did,entitled 'Why i want the Jambos to win the Cup' and mentioned what a relief it was that a Hearts fan didnt wholly blame him for that day.

I believed him.

Theres more but ive got a sore finger typing haha

stirlingshirejambo

From memory we didn't have to make many personnel changes during that run and our squad was really small.

Perhaps the quality of some individuals is not up To the level of Jardine Robbo and JC but the squad has more depth.

The down side is Rangers are a far better side than they had then and Celtic have strong pool of players, money to spend albeit they have a manager who hasn't a clue.

I will be happy to see how we continue on this run,see where it takes us, remembering the utter gash we had to put up with last year anything is a bonus

Apart from

2010-10-24 Celtic 1-3 Rangers SPL 58874

2010-10-30 Rangers 1-1 Inverness CT SPL 43697

2010-11-10 Heart of Midlothian 2-0 Celtic SPL 15632

2010-11-10 Rangers 0-3 Hibernian SPL 41514

2010-11-20 Celtic 1-1 Dundee United SPL 47523

2010-11-27 Celtic 2-2 Inverness CT SPL 46096

2010-12-11 Inverness CT 1-1 Rangers SPL 6799

2010-12-21 Celtic 1-1 Kilmarnock SPL 44522

You are of course absolutely correct. :whistling:

I can only see a total of 2 OF losses there between the pair of them. Sure the odd draw, but the teams currently in this league aren't strong enough for the OF to be regulary getting beat and dropping points.

I can only see a total of 2 OF losses there between the pair of them. Sure the odd draw, but the teams currently in this league aren't strong enough for the OF to be regulary getting beat and dropping points.

In 1998 if we kept our nerve after a draw against M'Well, we left the ground that night believing that it was over.

Both OF teams struggled to get the points, Killie winning at Ibrox on the last day.

But we lost to Hibs, Rangers, drew with Aberdeen & St J before winning against Dunf. in the last match.

We finished 7 pts behind celtic & 6 behind Rangers. We won 3pts from 18 in that six game spell.

The same will happen this year, as they get nearer the finishing line defeats and draws will come to them.

Victor Meldrew

In 1998 if we kept our nerve after a draw against M'Well, we left the ground that night believing that it was over.

Both OF teams struggled to get the points, Killie winning at Ibrox on the last day.

But we lost to Hibs, Rangers, drew with Aberdeen & St J before winning against Dunf. in the last match.

We finished 7 pts behind celtic & 6 behind Rangers. We won 3pts from 18 in that six game spell.

The same will happen this year, as they get nearer the finishing line defeats and draws will come to them.

I totally agree with this - the thing that Rangers and Celtic do well (and which we did in 1997-8 and 2005-6) is start well. This allows them to have poorer results later on when other teams have basically given up the challenge. The difference this year is that we started badly but have managed to reel them in (to some degree). Psychologically I think that's important as Celtic now appear to be stuttering and that must in part be a result of realising that they can't take second for granted.

I genuinely believe that the OF will not win every game and that we just have to plug away and see what happens.

Another factor in 1998 was that we hadn't won a trophy for so long that we needed to make sure we had our best team for the Cup Final (which was our best shot at a trophy) and didn't want to risk them. Two Scottish Cup wins later, I don't know that Jim and Billy would have the same attitude if we were in a similar position this time around.

Hearts Heritage

You stated

There are no teams capable of taken points off the OF
clearly an incorrect statement.

A draw is 2 points dropped. 2 daws are worse than 1 defeat. So defeats are not necessarily everything. I think you are correct in that they will not drop enough points for us to catch them because we will also drop points.

Seymour M Hersh

I wouldn't argue stats with Davie! :whistling:

If you can watch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEYdS28wR8U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZFezYotlVk&feature=related

He was told that if they won that day they had qualified for Europe,Alex Rae(Dundee assistant Manager) told him that Rangers were losing 2-0 at Ibrox to Motherwell that day and if they won it was in the bag. On leaving the pitch Rae told him he only said it to gee him up and Kidd went mental at him at costing the team all players in the league apart from Celtic wanted to win it on the final day.He tried to enter the Hearts dressing room to apologise but wasnt allowed in.

Interesting story but it contradicts my memories of his behaviour the following season:

Please correct me if I'm wrong but I remember very early the following season on a bright and sunny day we played at Brockville in a cup game and he faked a headbutt from Robbo to get him red-carded.

One fan behind the goal so so outraged that he ran on the field to get him and Brian Whittaker had to grab him and drag him back to the terracing.

Can anyone clarify this for me ?

The thing people need to remember is that it is still in our own hands. That might sound strange but Celtic and Rangers have to play eachother and will definately drop points. We still have to play them both twice more. If we can pick up points at home against them and scrape draws away then we are in a great position come the split.

Looking at previous seasons points the SPL top two teams have had.......

09/10 87 points 81 points

05/06 91 points 74 points

03/04 91 points 81 points

07/08 89 points 86 points

Averaging 89.5 points for champions and 80.5 points for runners up.

We are currently on 36 points after 18 games. Meaning we would need to pick up roughly 54 points for our remaining 20 games. That would mean winning 18 and losing 2 for example.

Very very tough.

Although if another team (Kille perhaps) could get themselves in gear and take points off the old firm we would have a bit more room for leeway. Theres never been a three horse title race so if we genuinely managed to make it one the league winner and runners up places would have lower points due to us all taking points off eachother!!

Interesting story but it contradicts my memories of his behaviour the following season:

Please correct me if I'm wrong but I remember very early the following season on a bright and sunny day we played at Brockville in a cup game and he faked a headbutt from Robbo to get him red-carded.

One fan behind the goal so so outraged that he ran on the field to get him and Brian Whittaker had to grab him and drag him back to the terracing.

Can anyone clarify this for me ?

I'll clarify it if it makes you feel a lot better. <_<

It doesnt and wont contradict my memory of what he said and how he felt.

Miller Jambo 60

I was ripped that week losing the league then the cup final.

Mind you from hobos that have never been at a game for years MUPPETS

Miller Jambo 60

Albert Kidd was a wee aerse that was always a sub, wee mup. got lucky that day

The thing people need to remember is that it is still in our own hands. That might sound strange but Celtic and Rangers have to play eachother and will definately drop points. We still have to play them both twice more. If we can pick up points at home against them and scrape draws away then we are in a great position come the split.

Looking at previous seasons points the SPL top two teams have had.......

09/10 87 points 81 points

05/06 91 points 74 points

03/04 91 points 81 points

07/08 89 points 86 points

Averaging 89.5 points for champions and 80.5 points for runners up.

We are currently on 36 points after 18 games. Meaning we would need to pick up roughly 54 points for our remaining 20 games. That would mean winning 18 and losing 2 for example.

Very very tough.

Although if another team (Kille perhaps) could get themselves in gear and take points off the old firm we would have a bit more room for leeway. Theres never been a three horse title race so if we genuinely managed to make it one the league winner and runners up places would have lower points due to us all taking points off eachother!!

That's mental.

Right now the only thing that bounces into my head heading into the New Year derby is that 7-0 win Hibs had over us, and I want vengence. It still hurts 37 years on.

Miller Jambo 60

Right now the only thing that bounces into my head heading into the New Year derby is that 7-0 win Hibs had over us, and I want vengence. It still hurts 37 years on.

Only thing that hurts is my wee jambo brother that hit his big brother lol on that day, tears were flowing

I can't see us winning the title if I'm being honest.

But this run is superb & I'm enjoying it an awful lot.

Long 'may' it continue.

Did you see what I did there?

J Cheever Loophole

It was good and horrific at the same time..... Glad we got that far though.

I can still remember the noise of the ball hitting the back of the net ... Im away to cry..

Oh and FTH.

I had hidden that same horrific sound from my mentally and emotionally scarred mind but now its trying to echo through 25 years of denial.

Cant say I've really felt any particular link to that season?

I will say though. Prior to the ICT game I had a feeling of excitement / anticipation that I don't think I've felt since 05/06

I've just watched these videos and i've now got a lump in my throat. I was nine years old that day at Dens park and I remember my brother and I the night before discussing which player we would run to when we won the league. Great memories but also one of the worst days of my life. I genuinely beileve that Hearts were re-born that season despite the pain and the relief that we all felt at Celtic Park in 1998 when we won the cup was as a result of that pain.

In my opinion we can win the league this season as long as we keep key players fit and free from suspension. These videos have just fired me right up for the derby.

OMG that brought back some memories and a tear to my eye. Was only 9 and aye always remember the third goal at tannadice. I had the picture of Robbo and Sandy from the paper next day cut out and pinned to my bedroom wall.

...a bit disco

Just so I know.....

Whats the criteria for being an 'older Jambo' ?

J.T.F.Robertson

Just so I know.....

Whats the criteria for being an 'older Jambo' ?

Someone familiar with the lyrics of a Paul Young song?? :P

...a bit disco

Someone familiar with the lyrics of a Paul Young song?? :P

Why you cheeky young whippersnapper :lol::teehee::lol::thumbsup:

Midfield Dynamo

No. There are no teams capable of taken points off the OF. They will finish 1st and 2nd.

You are a wind up merchant.....and if you have been watching the OF scraping results this season you will see that there is room for the JT's at the top table, when the end of season comes around.

Have you been watching the JT's lately.......something special is happening and is a joy to behold.

Archived