Derek o'connor

bn jambo

Thought he was a average player in a poor Hearts team mind you he was not the worst player in that team but I did like him.

Grumpy.

Ok, so far we've had Derek named as an accountant, an electrician, and a teacher!

I'm sure he was a draughtsman? :blink:

Nope he's a spark. Has his own business.

scott herbertson

Derek was and still is a spark been a good friend on mine since his St Johnstone days.

Still buys his season ticket every year even thought he does the Corporate Lounges each home day.

"real fan" material

Clearly you are not a real fan unless you've scored against Hibs AND bought a season ticket even though you get in free anyway

Top that!

Was at his debut at Pittodrie as a 15YO, where he scored with his first touch of the ball in 50 secs. Denis "f..g" McQuade then scored a second half rocket for a surprise away victory. Went out in Aberdeen and even managed to get served in the the pub, full month before turning 16.

About '86, I played against him in a friendly against Broxburn Juniors where he promptly forearmed me right across my coupon, my coach laughing at me shouting "just cause he played for Hearts disnae mean you cannae hit him back", I looked at DO and he just laughed at me, he was a lot tougher than I could ever be. :(

I went out with his daughter for a while some years back. The first time I was in their house I clocked a picture in the hallway of a Hearts player celebrating a goal.

"So you're Hearts fans here then?" I enquired to Mrs O'C.

"That picture is of Derek.....scoring against Hibs."

:raisehair::jiggy::notworthy:

Thoroughly nice bloke too.

HA HA HA The Frankie T-shirt had forgotten all about that. Aye god times.

I remember the one where we almost squandered a good lead against Rangers at Tynecastle and O`Connor scored the winner with a header from a corner and we won 3-2 i think.

He was a good goalscorer and a definite 100% man.

2-0 up with a beauty high into the net, and then Gers came back to 2-2 before Derek scored with a crashing header to win the game!!

Never played with Cruickshank but his debut was alongside Drew Busby. Scored in the first minute of his first game with his first touch.

http://www.londonhea.../197810211.html

This was my first visit to Aberdeen and still have vague memories of everyone standing up and me not being able to see. A real sound guy and huge Jambo to boot. He became very friendly with the Prestonpans Club to the extent he was an honorary VP.

I was at the game with wife and kids (first time as a family) as everyone was getting in place with their pies and Bovrils and when Derek scored up went about 200 pies and Bovrils... Wife was raging, but the kids thought it was magic and they were hooked.

Lesson - if the kids are resisting the call to arms, throw bovril over them and skite them with a pie!!!

Archived