Derek o'connor

bn jambo

My old man is mates with Derek o'connor, he's kept that one quite , i know he scored around 3 goals against the hobos and played in the same team as cruikshank and Busby in the 70's but how good was he, I know the team he was in wasn't the best in the seventies and i know he was in the squad untill around 84/85 until shiped to dunfermline , but can some of the older heads give me a fair write up about him as i'm up at new year and will be meeting up with him, much appreciatted .

BN

from what I can remenber he was one of those guys that gave 100% every game, but was not blessed with the greatest of skills. Certainly not the worst to wear the jersey.

scott herbertson

Not the most skillful, hard or fast player - but a grafter and a good allrounder who had the knack of scoring goals. hard to compare him with a modern era Hearts player, but he was the best forward we had for a few years and never let us down.

Johanes de Silentio

There are certain players from our past that I would be happy with in our team every week - Derek O'Connor would be one of them! :thumbsup:

It was his misfortune to play for us during what was probably the lowest point in our history, but that's not his fault - great player!

Wee Robbo always gives thanks and praise to older guys who showed him the ropes, including Sandy Clark, Donald Park, Jimmy Bone, and...

Derek O'Connor.

Respect is due! :thumbsup:

Absolutely loved watching that! :thumbsup:

Loved finding it Mr paranoid android, can't belive i've not seen that video till tonight :teehee:

Johanes de Silentio

Loved finding it Mr paranoid android, can't belive i've not seen that video till tonight :teehee:

Me neither - I was delirious at a few points - ken what? I'm gonnae watch it again - ******* brilliant! :woot:

Doctor FinnBarr

My old man is mates with Derek o'connor, he's kept that one quite , i know he scored around 3 goals against the hobos and played in the same team as cruikshank and Busby in the 70's but how good was he, I know the team he was in wasn't the best in the seventies and i know he was in the squad untill around 84/85 until shiped to dunfermline , but can some of the older heads give me a fair write up about him as i'm up at new year and will be meeting up with him, much appreciatted .

BN

Not sure he ever played with Cruickie (or Busby for that matter), Good goalscorer whose real failing was he wouldn't go full time, he was an accountant IIRC.

:)

stirlingshirejambo

Me neither - I was delirious at a few points - ken what? I'm gonnae watch it again - ******* brilliant! :woot:

His diving header in the championshp winning victory v Dumarton summed him up for me.

Pitch was a mud heap and he threw himself at he ball completely fearless.

Loved watching him always gave 100%

Drewjambobusby

Good enough to score an injury time winner at fester road and get a Frankie Says t-shirt printed.One of my favourite away games ever.

HA HA HA The Frankie T-shirt had forgotten all about that. Aye god times.

I remember the one where we almost squandered a good lead against Rangers at Tynecastle and O`Connor scored the winner with a header from a corner and we won 3-2 i think.

He was a good goalscorer and a definite 100% man.

he grew up in Smithfield St, went to Tynecastle school and he was at the match last Saturday, still a good jambo,

was it not Wheatfield?

a good lad but a better spark than he was a footballer and he was a rubbish electrician :whistling:

Derek was one of my heroes when I was younger and when I was around 20 got to meet him through my work. I was sent down to give a message to an electrican called Derek O' Connor working on the company's new office. I couldn't believe it when it turned out to be THE Derek O'Connor. Met him on a few occasions since and can only say what a great guy he is.

Never played with Cruickshank but his debut was alongside Drew Busby. Scored in the first minute of his first game with his first touch.

http://www.londonhearts.com/scores/games/197810211.html

This was my first visit to Aberdeen and still have vague memories of everyone standing up and me not being able to see. A real sound guy and huge Jambo to boot. He became very friendly with the Prestonpans Club to the extent he was an honorary VP.

HA HA HA The Frankie T-shirt had forgotten all about that. Aye god times.

I remember the one where we almost squandered a good lead against Rangers at Tynecastle and O`Connor scored the winner with a header from a corner and we won 3-2 i think.

He was a good goalscorer and a definite 100% man.

Was the Rangers match not just a couple of weeks after then Hibs Match, I had the T-Shirt

Jam Tarts 1874

I remember him scoring on his debut in a win against Aberdeen. Unfortunately the result was a bit of a false dawn, but O'Connor was my favourite for a long time. The Frankie Says win and his diving header in the promotion winning game in Dumbarton stick in my mind.

He was forced out as he did not want to become a full-time player, he wanted to continue his career in teaching.

Drewjambobusby

Was the Rangers match not just a couple of weeks after then Hibs Match, I had the T-Shirt

Could have been. Think everyone had the T shirt Lol. Ufortunately at the time we weren`t the dominant force in Edinburgh so any result was a celebration. I remember the celebration on the High Terrace at Easter Road when Bobby Prentice scored the equaliser against Hobos at Easter Road.

Like i said great days even though we were not the best, the support was the most passionate and noisy not to mention just a wee bit mental !!!!

Could have been. Think everyone had the T shirt Lol. Ufortunately at the time we weren`t the dominant force in Edinburgh so any result was a celebration. I remember the celebration on the High Terrace at Easter Road when Bobby Prentice scored the equaliser against Hobos at Easter Road.

Like i said great days even though we were not the best, the support was the most passionate and noisy not to mention just a wee bit mental !!!!

yip a 0-0 draw was celebrated like a cup final win

We beat Rangers 3-2 at least three years before the Frankie Says game. I think that may have been my first Rangers game too as IIRC Hearts fans were trying to organise a boycott and my Dad thought the crowd would be low.

Good enough to score an injury time winner at fester road and get a Frankie Says t-shirt printed.One of my favourite away games ever.

This was my first ever away derby and I will never forget it. Up until then I'd not been a proper "fanatic" but the atmosphere and celebrations made me appreciate what being a Jambo was all about. Walking onto Easter Road from Albion Road after the game and looking up towards London Road and all you could see was maroon and white scarves twirling. Archie McPherson called it "The maroon and white whirlygig". Epic.

from what I can remenber he was one of those guys that gave 100% every game, but was not blessed with the greatest of skills. Certainly not the worst to wear the jersey.

Trivia: He scored a hat-rick against a Hearts X1 at Tynecastle in a 5-1 victory for an Edinburgh U/18 select side circa 1971/72.

Scored 1 minute into his debut at Pittodrie on 21st October 1978,I couldnt make it that day as my 1st son was born the night before. 2-1 that day with Denis McQuade getting the other one. Still got relegated that season.

Apart from all that he was a blood and guts type player.

southside1874

Had a look on the london hearts site and found one of his goals against hibs on this , cracker at easter road 32 seconds in http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4ASS-_5b1E is that the one you are talking about benny ?

Thanks for that :thumbsup:

Good lad Derek. I worked with him for a couple of years, still remember how annoyed he got when someone asked him if he was related to Gary... :lol:

Scored 1 minute into his debut at Pittodrie on 21st October 1978,I couldnt make it that day as my 1st son was born the night before. 2-1 that day with Denis McQuade getting the other one. Still got relegated that season.

Apart from all that he was a blood and guts type player.

remember screaming at McQuade as he beat two sheep "aye well done but what are you going to do next?" as he promptly scored a raker !

not my first (or last) foxs paw lol

He used to (and may still do) drink at Carrick Knowe Bowling Club. A real gem of a guy who had no big attitude about him. Always asked how I was getting on at football - real nice guy.

A sparky to trade - would imagine he would have got quite a bit of business from Hearts fans at the bowling cub.

Top guy.

thumbsup.gif

Kinda like a Kevin Kyle type but without Kyles goos looks. Sorry Derek if you are reading this, but your public has to know!!!

Great fella, he bleeds maroon, a Jambo through and through. Anyone know if he still works in the suites on match days?

If you do read this, best wishes.

kawasakijambo

remember screaming at McQuade as he beat two sheep "aye well done but what are you going to do next?" as he promptly scored a raker !

not my first (or last) foxs paw lol

Did you travel on the Longstone bus that day?

I lived round the corner from him as a kid in Broomhall. He was never put out by squads of us knocking on his door to say Hi and always took time to come out and speak to us.

Don't remember much about his playing career but he seemed a really nice bloke.

Was one of my early heroes.

Seem to remember his transfer to us was a long winded affair, but made worth it by the aforementioned "first touch goal".

Was always a whole hearted player with an eye for a goal. Would have been good to see him in a decent team.

BN

Derek O'Connor. Born in Edinburgh 1955, started his carreer at Edinbugh Albion, went to East Fife in 1973, St Johnstone in 1976, signed for Hearts in October 1978 for ?25,000, then onto Dunfermline Athletic in January 1985 on a free transfer, Brechin City March 1985, Berwick Rangers 1986, Broxburn Athletic 1988, Penicuik Athletic 1989, retired 1990.

Appearances: 155(28 sub) scored 64 goals.

SOURCE: Hearts in Art 1995.

I remember having a badge which read "O'Connor does better chips than Brattisani's"

Brilliant.......

I used to have one of those badges. Got it from the wee shop just off cockburn street, owned by the Evening News artist at the time, Gilzean.

Was also at the game at Easter Rd when Derek scored his famous chipped goal. Great memories.

Was his neighbour in Carrick Knowe when he scored the "Frankie Says" winner at the San Giro. Auld man used to bevvy with him in the Carrick Knowe Inn where he received hero status for a good few years afterwards.

Couldn't trap a bag ay cement but he'd certainly stick the head on it!

Big 'Des' always gave his all for the maroon jersey. Was very good in the air. Not blessed with the best of skills, but never let the team down. Decent player.

Lynn :ninja:

...a bit disco

Remember him scoring the winner v Queen of the South in the last minute of a first division match with the hardest shot I'd ever seen!

One of HMFCs unsung.

Footballfirst

Here's a recent photo of him from the HYDC Football Match at Tynecastle earlier this year, where he "coached" one of the teams.

FOOTBALL_21_4582_RMACN.jpg

Ogi fae Gorgie

Derek was in the same class and fitba team as me at Tynecastle. He used to be a left back and thats where he played until......one game at Meggatland I think we were playing Bellvue. Somebody never turned up and Derek went centre forward...scored 6 that day. We had no a bad team and another S Form in that side was Graeme Smith, great player went to Dundee I think. I went to Hutchie as Landalls took majority of that team to kick off Hutchie's 14/15's reincarnation

Johanes de Silentio

Ok, so far we've had Derek named as an accountant, an electrician, and a teacher!

I'm sure he was a draughtsman? :blink:

1 Willie Gibson

Derek was and still is a spark been a good friend on mine since his St Johnstone days.

Still buys his season ticket every year even thought he does the Corporate Lounges each home day.

Ok, so far we've had Derek named as an accountant, an electrician, and a teacher!

I'm sure he was a draughtsman? :blink:

Definitely an electrician, he has his own company and they did some stuff at my work a few years back. And it was bloody awful.

Miller Jambo 60

Not sure he ever played with Cruickie (or Busby for that matter), Good goalscorer whose real failing was he wouldn't go full time, he was an accountant IIRC.

:)

Remember the last game in the 1st Division, 79/80 i think against dumbarton.

Deek through his top and my mate got it.

He was a 7 out of 10 player and we've not had many of them, until JJ came back. He must have cried seeing the likes of Nade play for us, I did.

Derek was in the same class and fitba team as me at Tynecastle. He used to be a left back and thats where he played until......one game at Meggatland I think we were playing Bellvue. Somebody never turned up and Derek went centre forward...scored 6 that day. We had no a bad team and another S Form in that side was Graeme Smith, great player went to Dundee I think. I went to Hutchie as Landalls took majority of that team to kick off Hutchie's 14/15's reincarnation

'Basher' did in fact go to Dundee.

Jimmy McNulty

0-2 down to the Huns, early 1980s, 90 minutes, fans leaving.

Big Derek and Robbo pop up in 90 minutes+ to get us a draw.

For that I will always be thankful.

Good strong forward who wasn't scared to get his nose dirty.

Archived