Mark McGhee.........

Clerry Jambo

Craig Levein or Mark McGee ?

No contest as far as I am concerned. Levein is a Hearts man and one of the finest players I have seen in maroon.

Some people seem to have a problem with Craig. Not me.

Mark McGee, stick him up yer erse ! ;)

he said he is working on arranging pre-season with Motherwell and also tracking signing targets for next season.

Excellent news. I don't want anyone who's "sellik minded" anywhere near Tynecastle.

It's a bit rich asking CL to have shown more loyalty to Hearts just because the club looked after him when he was injured. Remember, he picked up his knee injuries playing for Hearts! He's not some sick little orphan we picked off the streets and nourished only for him to walk out. He was an employee who had to leave his playing career behind because of work related injuries.

His limited acheivements as Hearts manager were still far better than most others we've had. I think that was as good a payback as we could reasonably demand.

Fat Striker

And if MM does take the Hearts job - I bet we're on the search again within 2 years.

He has a nasty habit of jumping ship.

Given our recent track record surely even a two year tenure would equate to stability????

Quite frankly if within 'two years' McGhee moved on I would hope it's because his stock was still high and Hearts had proved they no longer used a 'puppet manager'.

For me that would be progress!

Benny Factor
Excellent news. I don't want anyone who's "sellik minded" anywhere near Tynecastle.

Our caretaker manager's a "Sellik" man.

Clerry Jambo

Interesting thoughts, Levein or McGhee..............always for me Mr Levein.

If Hearts are indeed wanting McGhee surely it's a dangerous game waiting until the summer - as already mentioned other offers are more likely to come in for him especially if Murderwell finish the season strongly.

siegementality
Heard a radio interview with McGhee earlier on tonight. No I know he is not going to say yes I am going to Gorgie but basically he said he is working on arranging pre-season with Motherwell and also tracking signing targets for next season.

Motherwell have had NO contact from anyone about McGHEE and thats that!!:mw_rolleyes:

He also said he was looking for another property in Glasgow, enjoyed being at the club and more importantly was in discussions with Motherwell regarding a new contract.

Not good news for the Romanov apologists who have used McGhee as the carrot to string some people along.

Now you can say "well he's not going to say he's joinging Hearts is he" and that's true, but then ask yourself a simple question, why say anything?. Not only has he commented on his position at Motherwell but he's commented on it favourably!!. No doubt some will say he's using it as a bargaining tool with us however, consider this possibility, Mark McGhee is not, and never was, coming to Hearts!!!!.

To be honest, I'd take just about anybody from these shores right now........and that includes Jim Duffy :sad:

However, I must say that the failings of the Romanov reign appear to have given people myopia :confused:as regards Hearts recent past and the stodge we were served up under Levein is now regarded as ....not just stodge .....but M&S stodge :P

Also, United were like a rudderless ship when he took over and THAT is exactly where CL has the tools for the job...........beyond that, I'm not convinced

'ANOther' poster provided the following data on the other board:

In answer to comments earlier, HMFC's salary costs over the last 10 years have been (for year to 31/7):

1997 ?2.835m

1998 ?3.789m

1999 ?3.984m

2000 ?5.586m

2001 ?7.184m*

2002 ?5.688m

2003 ?5.116m

2004 ?5.004m

2005 ?4.541m

2006 ?10.013m

* 2001 includes ?1.108m one off payments to JJ, BB & GP on their departures.

'ANOther' poster provided the following data on the other board:

In answer to comments earlier, HMFC's salary costs over the last 10 years have been (for year to 31/7):

1997 ?2.835m

1998 ?3.789m

1999 ?3.984m

2000 ?5.586m

2001 ?7.184m*

2002 ?5.688m

2003 ?5.116m

2004 ?5.004m

2005 ?4.541m

2006 ?10.013m

* 2001 includes ?1.108m one off payments to JJ, BB & GP on their departures.

So that would make 3 reductions in a row for 2002, 2003 and 2004. and would be consistent with this:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/h/heart_of_midlothian/2481535.stm

So that would make 3 reductions in a row for 2002, 2003 and 2004. and would be consistent with this:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/h/heart_of_midlothian/2481535.stm

Given the deflation in footballer salaries at the time - 1/4 of the SPL was in administration!, English football TV money drying up etc ... I think that a reduction in the wage bill year on year as per your initial statement may be factually correct but is way out of line with the hysterics Levein came out with in the press which were jumped upon by the fans. The reduction was tiny in relation to the deflation in footballer salaries at the time.

It would be interesting to see if any club in the SPL made less of a proportionate reduction in the wage bill in that time.

The crux of the issue is this: the huge wage bill made available to Levein every year meant that the Pieman tried to sell the stadium.

Given the deflation in footballer salaries at the time - 1/4 of the SPL was in administration!, English football TV money drying up etc ... I think that a reduction in the wage bill year on year as per your initial statement may be factually correct but is way out of line with the hysterics Levein came out with in the press which were jumped upon by the fans. The reduction was tiny in relation to the deflation in footballer salaries at the time.

It would be interesting to see if any club in the SPL made less of a proportionate reduction in the wage bill in that time.

The crux of the issue is this: the huge wage bill made available to Levein every year meant that the Pieman tried to sell the stadium.

That huge wage bill was inherited by Levein and ceated by JJ. Levein was tasked with wages being cut while still meeting the expectation levels of the fans. Which by taking us into Europe in successive seasons for the first time since the 60's I believe he did.

That huge wage bill was inherited by Levein and ceated by JJ. Levein was tasked with wages being cut while still meeting the expectation levels of the fans. Which by taking us into Europe in successive seasons for the first time since the 60's I believe he did.

Well I think that the evidence from the accounts above is clear that is not the case. There was not much of Jefferies side left by 2004. Levein took a high wage side, dismantled it and created another high wage side.

Well I think that the evidence from the accounts above is clear that is not the case. There was not much of Jefferies side left by 2004. Levein took a high wage side, dismantled it and created another high wage side.

Levein left in October 2004. By the end of that season the 2005 wage bill you provided shows a total 4.5m. In comparison to over 6m in his first year after taking over (after deducting the pay offs). I suppose we'll just have to agree to disagree as I don't see 4.5m as a huge wage bill. Now 2006, that's a huge wage bill! ;)

Toxteth O'Grady

Aye John Colquhoun was a bad signing:confused:

Drylaw Hearts
Thats a well balanced post DH

I can understand the people knocking CL because the style of football we played then wasnt everyones cup of tea, however your point about Dundee Utd is a very valid one imo.

United ar certainly not dull and boring to watch now and they tore the huns to pieces last week only to come to the same fate as anyone else who challenges the old firm for silverware, the 12th man!

Is it possible that CL was a tad raw when he was at Hearts, and now he's more experienced and learnt his trade a bit better, would he be a better manager this time around?

I certainly think so..........

The football we played wasn't great but there were some cracking performences and memorable results :-

5-1 v Hibs

7-0 v Dunfermline

Not exactly - 'everyone behind the ball' football that some claim!!

He had a big job on his hands clearing som of the deadwood out and then lost Colin Cameron, Niemi, Severin all big players for us.

He also put Elvis back on the right track and made Hartley into the player Burley got the best from.

He gave Craig Gordon his debut and signed Andy Webster.

All these players were the backbone of Burleys team.

With regards to his budget not being reduced as heavily as it was perceived - the year end salary figure had to include the big earners that were still on the books.

Adam, Flogel, Niemmi, Petric, Simpson, MsSewgan, Jackson plus many more were all still on the books when he arrived - I think.

IIRC, in his 1st and 3rd year he reduced the salary by 10% each time and was ?1million less than when he took over.

A reduction of around 20%.

CL was a fantastic manager for us.

He got the chance to try to take a team to the Premiership, and took it (the chance, that is).

Nothing wrong with that. Nothing at all.

I'd say that Dundee United seem to have improved just a bit with him in charge.

Of course we should take him back, if it's possible.

But I have a hunch it will more likely be McGhee who gets the chance to take us into the Champions' League in front of 40,000 home crowds.

People who accuse players and managers of "disloyalty" for moving between clubs really don't understand anything about professional football. Most of us would move job for a substantial pay rise given the chance.

Archived