Mark McGhee.........

Clerry Jambo

Clerry Jambo

Heard a radio interview with McGhee earlier on tonight. No I know he is not going to say yes I am going to Gorgie but basically he said he is working on arranging pre-season with Motherwell and also tracking signing targets for next season.

Motherwell have had NO contact from anyone about McGHEE and thats that!!:mw_rolleyes:

Ryan Gosling
Heard a radio interview with McGhee earlier on tonight. No I know he is not going to say yes I am going to Gorgie but basically he said he is working on arranging pre-season with Motherwell and also tracking signing targets for next season.

Motherwell have had NO contact from anyone about McGHEE and thats that!!:mw_rolleyes:

OK, thanks for clearing that up. Hearts clearly have no interest in McGhee.

:)

Wouldn?t trouble me either way. McGhee talks the talk and I like that but when it comes down to it, he is successful initially at every club he goes to, then things peter out...

Hate to sound bitchy but George Burley is somewhat similar in that manner...and although I acknowledge that we never go the chance to find out, we ought to look at Motherwell?s current backward travels and think hmmmn....

Buffalo Bill
Wouldn?t trouble me either way. McGhee talks the talk and I like that but when it comes down to it, he is successful initially at every club he goes to, then things peter out...

Hate to sound bitchy but George Burley is somewhat similar in that manner...and although I acknowledge that we never go the chance to find out, we ought to look at Motherwell?s current backward travels and think hmmmn....

I wouldn't argue with any of that, but.........

Something, I don't know what it is, tells me he would be perfect for the role of Hearts manager.

siegfried_and_roy.jpg

Buffalo Bill

Something, I don't know what it is, tells me he would be perfect for the role of Hearts manager.

Would not dispute that he would be a damned better option than what we have had since Burley!!!! Don?t get me wrong in that respect... i just hope people have reasonable expectations of any manager we get in. We are back to square one - and we ALL have to realise and accept that.

siegfried_and_roy.jpg

Buffalo Bill

I've been to the Mirage! Unfortunately, it wasn't the night Roy got munched!

Might've been Seigfreid...but Roy's easier to spell!

We are back to square one - and we ALL have to realise and accept that.

The best and most accurate line I've read all week.

Ryan Gosling
"As far as I'm concerned I have no offers on the table and I'm looking forward to finishing this season on a high and then hopefully having the chance to play in Europe next season.

"I'm relaxed and settled here. I'm looking for another property in Glasgow for personal reasons and I have absolutely no plans to up and go.

"I also have a contract beyond the summer and I'm sure at that point John Boyle and I will sit down and discuss things again.

"We have a good understanding and that was shown when the Scotland stuff was going about.

"He knows if I was to leave Motherwell' date=' it would take an exceptional offer."[/quote']

:)

kennygarland1

I have it on vg authority McGhee WILL be our manager at the end of the season,i can't go into detail who told me.

Graham Thomson
I have it on vg authority McGhee WILL be our manager at the end of the season,i can't go into detail who told me.

I have heard the same, about 3 weeks ago, i honestly think he will be our next manager.

if McGhee drops Motherwell for us after such a short spell in charge then why should we believe that he won't do the same to us as soon as Sellick come calling? I refuse to get carried away about McGhee's credentials on the back of a good 6 months for Well in a poor league. I'm still hoping (but not expecting) to get Levein. A proper Jambo and a better manager IMHO.

if McGhee drops Motherwell for us after such a short spell in charge then why should we believe that he won't do the same to us as soon as Sellick come calling? I refuse to get carried away about McGhee's credentials on the back of a good 6 months for Well in a poor league. I'm still hoping (but not expecting) to get Levein. A proper Jambo and a better manager IMHO.

Your most certainly entitled to your opinion but CL already had the chance to be the manager under Vlad - he chose to jump ship and head off to Leicester, taking 3 of our players with him. If that's being "a proper Jambo", we'll have to agree to differ.

siegfried_and_roy.jpg

Buffalo Bill

Intuition?

Gigolo-Aunt

What is Mcghee going to say ??

"Im going to leave at the end of the season"

Not saying he will join Hearts, but he will be off in the summer.

Hope it is us.

BobbyJenkins
Your most certainly entitled to your opinion but CL already had the chance to be the manager under Vlad - he chose to jump ship and head off to Leicester, taking 3 of our players with him. If that's being "a proper Jambo", we'll have to agree to differ.

Thats called football

Thats called football

Some would say that's called "cutting and running"........Levein managed when the budget at HMFC was minimal. Why wouldn't he hang around to find out how much he was going to get to spend at the club that supported him through 2 major spells of injury and gave him his first break into big-time football management?

What price loyalty?

Gigolo-Aunt
Some would say that's called "cutting and running"........Levein managed when the budget at HMFC was minimal. Why wouldn't he hang around to find out how much he was going to get to spend at the club that supported him through 2 major spells of injury and gave him his first break into big-time football management?

What price loyalty?

There was also stuff going on behind the scenes with his home life.

What if Levein was told by Vlad that he HAD to go along with playing certain players ??

It has turned out that Vlad's track record is poor with managers. Dont think anyone can have a pop at Levein imo.

Yeah I remember being hacked off about that at the time too. But on looking back at it I now see that he was having the wage bill cut year on year, having his best players sold and also having problems in his personal life. His stock was high at the time and he accepted a move to a club that he thought could match his level of ambition in a way we couldn't. He was wrong. But now he's back in the SPL doing what he does best. Building a team on a shoe string that is very hard to beat and scores a good few goals (especially against us). And while there is no doubt that Burley's team was the best I've seen wearing the famous maroon. There's no escaping the fact that the spine of the team Gordon, Pressley, Webster, Hartley were CL's players.

What if Levein was told by Vlad that he HAD to go along with playing certain players ??

It has turned out that Vlad's track record is poor with managers. Dont think anyone can have a pop at Levein imo.

That's a very valid point. Levein wouldn't have lasted 6 months under Vlad. His fate would have been the same as Burley's. As CL would have been even less wiling to accept the level of meddling.

That's right there was - just like millions of other people who don't quit their job and run to another city. Some people deal with it.

He wasn't! He had engineered the Leicester move 3 weeks prior to telling HMFC that he was going.

That's a valid point but how do we know how this relationship would've panned out? We are now advertising for a British manager and some people think that CL fits the bill - a bit ironic don't you think when he was in prime position initially?

That's a very valid point. Levein wouldn't have lasted 6 months under Vlad. His fate would have been the same as Burley's. As CL would have been even less wiling to accept the level of meddling.

We're in the mire now - no question, but people should remember that the standard of football we played under CL was boring, with every player back in the box defending corner kicks. Sure, we got to 3rd place but that was when other teams were weaker than they are now.

Also, he was CPR's lapdog.

I have heard the same, about 3 weeks ago, i honestly think he will be our next manager.

From what I know.

As expected, nobody who anybody would know on here knows for sure that McGhee will be the next manager. Though everybody's best educated guess, and we're talking pretty well educated, is Mark McGhee.

I believe Motherwell when they say they have not had any contact for McGhee. By not even making it official I think we are playing a dangerous game. As much as McGhee may already know it, without a concrete offer he will always keep his eyes open for somewhere else.

For anybody who says McGhee won't leave Motherwell for Hearts is talking out of their backside. What our danger is, is that if McGhee gets an offer from down south (even the Championship) he'll be gone like a shot. If/When that happens, we'll basically be screwed.

scott herbertson

I'm pretty sure that's true but I think the personal issues were probably the thing that swung it. I think CL would have a better chance of getting a free hand now than when VR arrived so it may be more attractive to him now.

I'd have him back without a second thought

Gigolo-Aunt
That's right there was - just like millions of other people who don't quit their job and run to another city. Some people deal with it.

He wasn't! He had engineered the Leicester move 3 weeks prior to telling HMFC that he was going.

That's a valid point but how do we know how this relationship would've panned out? We are now advertising for a British manager and some people think that CL fits the bill - a bit ironic don't you think when he was in prime position initially?

Not all people in life deal with problem, Iain.

If I remember right, Levein talked with Vlad - said nice things in the press about him but decided his future lay elsewhere.

You say that we are now looking for a manager with British experience, Im glad of that. However, Levein and Vlad talking was quite a few years ago now. IMO if Levein stayed he would have either have been sacked or pushed. As we all know now, Vlad would have stuck his nose in to team affairs too much - something that Levein would never have tolerated.

I'm pretty sure that's true but I think the personal issues were probably the thing that swung it. I think CL would have a better chance of getting a free hand now than when VR arrived so it may be more attractive to him now.

I'd have him back without a second thought

I agree. I hope it turns out to be a blessing that CL has been absent up until a point where we all hope that VR has seen the error of his ways.

davemclaren
We're in the mire now - no question, but people should remember that the standard of football we played under CL was boring, with every player back in the box defending corner kicks. Sure, we got to 3rd place but that was when other teams were weaker than they are now.

I have to agree that Hearts were very poor to watch under Levein. It was like Jordan. :sad:

Things are that way again now, grinding out 1 goal victories against most teams but getting stuffed by the OF but Craig wouldn't be my first choice. It's rarely sensible to go back.

davemclaren
I hate McGee, the amount of goals he scored against us, barsteward!:107years:

Yip, that disqualifies him as manager. :eek:

Not all people in life deal with problem, Iain.

If I remember right, Levein talked with Vlad - said nice things in the press about him but decided his future lay elsewhere.

He certainly did - but he had agreed to join Leicester 3 weeks before that conversation took place so I don't think he approached it with an open mind!

I have to agree that Hearts were very poor to watch under Levein. It was like Jordan. :sad:

Things are that way again now, grinding out 1 goal victories against most teams but getting stuffed by the OF but Craig wouldn't be my first choice. It's rarely sensible to go back.

Walter Smith is doing alright.

Kevin Keegan - he's in my living room right now - says he disagrees Dave!

Walter Smith is doing alright.

Is that real football management, or 'buy the league' with limited competition when the officials are on your side? How did Wattie do at Everton?

He certainly did - but he had agreed to join Leicester 3 weeks before that conversation took place so I don't think he approached it with an open mind!

If what you say is true and he had already agreed to join Leicester then I don't see how Vlad coming along would have changed anything? Most non Jambos at the time would have said he made the right call. And the manner in which Burley was disposed off surely confirms it.

If what you say is true and he had already agreed to join Leicester then I don't see how Vlad coming along would have changed anything? Most non Jambos at the time would have said he made the right call. And the manner in which Burley was disposed off surely confirms it.

He knew Vlad was in the process of taking over the club but didn't want to hang about to be a part of it. You only have to read CL's comments in last week's Sunday Mail to see where his ambitions really lie - and it's not with HMFC, although he was happy for that same institution to support him while he was injured.

Let's not pretend that CL is some kind of martyr to the cause of HMFC.

He knew Vlad was in the process of taking over the club but didn't want to hang about to be a part of it. You only have to read CL's comments in last week's Sunday Mail to see where his ambitions really lie - and it's not with HMFC, although he was happy for that same institution to support him while he was injured.

I missed his comments last week. What did he say?

Gigolo-Aunt

Iain...

Hearts were bloody good to Levein as a player, but in return he was bloody good to us as a manager.

Iain...

Hearts were bloody good to Levein as a player, but in return he was bloody good to us as a manager.

Not sure I agree with that but let's call it quits then and not have him back as manager. If you had said "he was bloody good to us as a player" - no argument.

Not one coach we have had since Burley would get close to Levein's abilities and presence and it seems highly unlikely that will change during the remainder of the Romanov regime.

thank ***** cos I would rather have anyone:106Final:

Geoff Kilpatrick

Oh, I'm looking forward to the close season. Where once we had HLEB IS COMING - FACT! threads, we can anticipate McGHEE IS COMING - FACT! threads!!

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Guest casper

Romanovs treatment of certain players and staff has been nothing short of appalling. Burley and Pressley being prime examples. I will never forgive romanov for his treatment of Pressley in particular as he was what you might call a "martyr to the cause" and there's no reason to believe that CL would have been treated any differently. Knowing what everybody knows now CL made the right decision at the time as he wouldn't have lasted long anyway and I don't blame him for jumping ship.

Benny Factor

You're right, Iain. Levein has since stated himself that he'd been looking for a way out a full YEAR before he actually left. He'd already been to down south for talks with Sheffield Wednesday months beforehand as well.

The thing that will always stick in my mind is that Levein knew Maybury and de Vries were going to be available in January, and made NO attempt to get them to try and sign longer deals at Hearts, then proceeded to come in and whip them away a month after he left.

Drylaw Hearts

Hearts was CL first big job.

In his only 2 full seasons he took us to 3rd in the League in both of those Seasons by scoring more goal than anyone outside the OF and and conceding less than anyone outside the OF.

How you can dismiss this record after watching the football we've produced under Jim Jeffries just prior to CL, Tommy McLean prior to him and Joe Jordan prior to him as well as Robbo, Valdas,Romanov, Malofeev, Korobochka, Cherenekov and Frail since CL ?

Without counting George Burly - Craig Levein is by far the best Manager we've had since JJ in 1997-1998.

CL didn't have a great spell at LC but he has done a fabulous job at Dundee Utd.

We have a team/squad that needs seriously overhauled and imo Craig Levein is the best man for that job.

But it seems someone has already made their mind up and Mark McGee is preferred choice.

And I think CO has a lot to do with this.

And if MM does take the Hearts job - I bet we're on the search again within 2 years.

He has a nasty habit of jumping ship.

Also, imo, the only team that is stronger now is Utd all the rest are pretty much the same level.

And is it by coincidence that their Manager is .........

I personally would be like a dog with two c*cks if Levein, McGhee, or any one from several rumours that we have heard recently was appointed as our manager........ soon!!!

Yeah I remember being hacked off about that at the time too. But on looking back at it I now see that he was having the wage bill cut year on year, having his best players sold and also having problems in his personal life. His stock was high at the time and he accepted a move to a club that he thought could match his level of ambition in a way we couldn't. He was wrong. But now he's back in the SPL doing what he does best. Building a team on a shoe string that is very hard to beat and scores a good few goals (especially against us). And while there is no doubt that Burley's team was the best I've seen wearing the famous maroon. There's no escaping the fact that the spine of the team Gordon, Pressley, Webster, Hartley were CL's players.

This did not happen. There was no significant cut to the wage bill in Levein's time at Hearts.

He would be a better manager than we have had since Burley though.

This did not happen. There was no significant cut to the wage bill in Levein's time at Hearts.

He would be a better manager than we have had since Burley though.

I remember the papers were telling us differently at the time though...

...plus each year Levein was manager, Hearts sold one of their best players - cannot build a team round your best player if your best player keeps getting sold...and best players tend to the ones on the biggest wages.

I personally would be like a dog with two cocks if Levein, McGhee, or any one from several rumours that we have heard recently was appointed as our manager........ soon!!!

One of my favourite sayings :biggrin:

Well done sir.

The Old Tolbooth
Hearts was CL first big job.

In his only 2 full seasons he took us to 3rd in the League in both of those Seasons by scoring more goal than anyone outside the OF and and conceding less than anyone outside the OF.

How you can dismiss this record after watching the football we've produced under Jim Jeffries just prior to CL, Tommy McLean prior to him and Joe Jordan prior to him as well as Robbo, Valdas,Romanov, Malofeev, Korobochka, Cherenekov and Frail since CL ?

Without counting George Burly - Craig Levein is by far the best Manager we've had since JJ in 1997-1998.

CL didn't have a great spell at LC but he has done a fabulous job at Dundee Utd.

We have a team/squad that needs seriously overhauled and imo Craig Levein is the best man for that job.

But it seems someone has already made their mind up and Mark McGee is preferred choice.

And I think CO has a lot to do with this.

And if MM does take the Hearts job - I bet we're on the search again within 2 years.

He has a nasty habit of jumping ship.

Also, imo, the only team that is stronger now is Utd all the rest are pretty much the same level.

And is it by coincidence that their Manager is .........

Thats a well balanced post DH

I can understand the people knocking CL because the style of football we played then wasnt everyones cup of tea, however your point about Dundee Utd is a very valid one imo.

United ar certainly not dull and boring to watch now and they tore the huns to pieces last week only to come to the same fate as anyone else who challenges the old firm for silverware, the 12th man!

Is it possible that CL was a tad raw when he was at Hearts, and now he's more experienced and learnt his trade a bit better, would he be a better manager this time around?

I certainly think so..........

Colonel Kurtz

Cl did take promoting our relationship with Allsports a bit too far.

Some of the criticism of him on this thread ,however are perhaps as a result of his clashs with individuals during the SOH campaign,over the non buying of STs screwing his already limited budget.

Archived