The 'working party' and the mysterious title play-off 'plan'

Victorian

so it's been widely reported that hearts, dundee united and kilmarnock have broached the subject of introducing the title play-off. not the best idea ever hatched it must be said... completely barking as far as i'm concerned. it's also been reported that both of the OF managers have 'poured scorn' on the idea, including a typically arrogant remark from walter smith about this idea being the reason why the clubs weren't invited to join the working party.

has it actually been confirmed that this 'plan' has come from the above clubs? or could it simply be an invention on the part of certain OF-friendly entities?

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Charlie-Brown

so it's been widely reported that hearts, dundee united and kilmarnock have broached the subject of introducing the title play-off. not the best idea ever hatched it must be said... completely barking as far as i'm concerned. it's also been reported that both of the OF managers have 'poured scorn' on the idea, including a typically arrogant remark from walter smith about this idea being the reason why the clubs weren't invited to join the working party.

has it actually been confirmed that this 'plan' has come from the above clubs? or could it simply be an invention on the part of certain OF-friendly entities?

Original and out of the box thinking and dissention are not welcome SS. Next we'll be proposing radical ideas like suggesting the top clubs should accept a smaller share of the pie for the benefit of Scottish football.....

MODS - please merge this with the relevant thread rather than having it clutter up the board.

Thanks.

MODS - please merge this with the relevant thread rather than having it clutter up the board.

Thanks.

is this a sign that you will be changing the habits of a lifetime and are now concerned that the board isn't cluttered up?

brave new world eh?

:thumbsup:

kennyblack'sshot

As I understand it from the way it was reported, the play-offs idea was floating around in the media (Jim Spence?) and Hearts came out and said why not look at it, supported by other clubs.

I thought it was barmy at first but on thinking about it a bit more I think it's better than a 10-team league or the current system simply because if positions 3-7 have a 4 or 5 points separating them with three games to go, seven teams have a chance of winning the title. It's unfair on whoever finishes top but then it's unfair that Rangers and Celtic have fixed the league to work for their benefit. It happens in the Championship just now where the 2nd team can be 20 points ahead of 4th and still not get promoted - missing out on much more money than the OF would miss out on for not winning the title.

We have to start thinking of the SPL as the product and not the Old Firm. Play-offs would mean potentially multiple cup final type games towards the end of the season. It would make the battle for 3rd and 4th as exciting if not more exciting as the battle for first and it would mean the league wouldn't just be a procession towards the title for one of the OF with the occasional non-OF challenge that peters out when the OF buy all their good players.

The more I think about it, the more I can't think why any non-OF team wouldn't be in favour of it. Unfortunately, Hibs, St Mirren, Aberdeen and Motherwell are obviously in the pockets of the OF just now so they can't come out in support of it.

jamboinglasgow

From what I have read, it is just a suggestion of if we are going backwards this is something radical. The three clubs attempt to point the issue towards the mainstream as they feel that the old firm are getting everything their own way.

But you raise Walter Smith's arrogance, I was astonished with his remarks and thought they were pretty insulting to the other clubs.

"It is not the people who are in charge of making the decisions (in coming up with a blueprint) that have raised this one. Maybe that is the reason they are not involved on the committee.

If we are talking about play-offs at the top, then why dont they go to the clubs looking for a place in Europe between third and sixth - Hearts, Kilmarnock, Dundee United and Motherwell - and say to them they can play-off for the Europa League place?"

Lennon doesn't fare better

"There have already been a lot of proporsals bandied around this year.

But this is the biggest piece of nonsense I've heard in a long time. So your whole season rests on two or three games. Aye, thats brillant.

If you look at the gap at the last 10 years, the gap between first and third or first and fourth if you add up the total it's a lot of points.

I dont mind a play-off for a UEFA cup spot, even third or fourth. But for the championship? It's a load of ****ing b******s"

Those two statements demonstrate perfectly where the old firm see reconstruction. Yes the play-off for the championship is not a great idea, but the fact that both old firm managers say if there is one it should be for third place points to a glaring issue, why not second place? If we get the champions league place back, then it opens it up again, teams can at least get a chance of getting into the champions league. Yes you still win the league by finishing first but it adds competition to the next 4 places. But of course this comes at the risk of the old firm duopoly, where normally if you dont come first you get a chance at the champions league, more money comes in and you can maintain that stranglehold.

The old firm dont care about any other club but themselves, the fact they got two places on the strategy group is shameful and serves only to get the plan they wanted.

some very good points there, in amongst the snash.

at the risk of cluttering up the board, i was just curious as to the actual origin of the play-off plan.

to be fair it really is barmy. you can't have the title decided that way. we would be pishing ourselves if the likes of hibs had suggested this to decide the european places.

the only other thing i was thinking it could be is something to throw the debate back open. a kind of 'stalking horse' type suggestion to flush out a realistic alternative.

Francis Albert

The play-off idea has done it's job - raised the fundamental issue of OF dominance and has got the OF to confirm that competition is a good thing only if it doesn't risk upsetting the duopoly. A 10 club league with eigtth place at risk of relegation means that 8 out of 10 clubs would start aiming as No. 1 priority for the top 7 and at least 6 of them would typically remain with that focus for the whole season. Dog eat dog while the OF continue their own little private "competition". Perfect.

The play-off idea has done it's job - raised the fundamental issue of OF dominance and has got the OF to confirm that competition is a good thing only if it doesn't risk upsetting the duopoly. A 10 club league with eigtth place at risk of relegation means that 8 out of 10 clubs would start aiming as No. 1 priority for the top 7 and at least 6 of them would typically remain with that focus for the whole season. Dog eat dog while the OF continue their own little private "competition". Perfect.

Not surprisingly the old firm are looking after there own interests in all of this.

The money from third place downwards would be split more evenly with clubs in the spl2 also benefitting. The split of the cash for first and second would be untouched.

This has just been confirmed as part of the proposals from the old firm and the lapdogs in there working party. So basically rangers and Celtic are sitting in there thrones, insisting there own cut remains the same but advising how the rest of the clubs should share out the dregs.

Now remember this is the same old firm that want to leave the Scottish set up at the earliest opportunity.

get tae ****

Would this be similar to what the Dutch League have for the Euro places?

2nd to 4th/5th but then they have an 18 team league.

Drylaw Hearts

some very good points there, in amongst the snash.

at the risk of cluttering up the board, i was just curious as to the actual origin of the play-off plan.

to be fair it really is barmy. you can't have the title decided that way. we would be pishing ourselves if the likes of hibs had suggested this to decide the european places.

the only other thing i was thinking it could be is something to throw the debate back open. a kind of 'stalking horse' type suggestion to flush out a realistic alternative.

However mental the idea is.....

The 10 clubs needed to vote for this change may actually realise that this is just about the only way anyone out with the OF will win the SPL.

I say the clubs join forces and give the OF the option of this mental option or another format which includes a TV deal that shares the money equally between the clubs.

Back the feckers into a corner.

Exactly,

In my opinion though, unless there is a more equal share of the money available, the 10 should push it through regardless of how out the box / ridiculous it might seem.

There is also a train of thought that the Champions get the CL spot, and 3/4 clubs play off for the second. But what happens if our CL place reduces to one. Simple, the league toppers come into the play off.

This play off proposal isn't the most ridiculous touted about in Scottish football recently.

Recommending Walter Smith to head up Scottish Football development wins that award hands down.

Not surprisingly the old firm are looking after there own interests in all of this.

The money from third place downwards would be split more evenly with clubs in the spl2 also benefitting. The split of the cash for first and second would be untouched.

This has just been confirmed as part of the proposals from the old firm and the lapdogs in there working party. So basically rangers and Celtic are sitting in there thrones, insisting there own cut remains the same but advising how the rest of the clubs should share out the dregs.

Now remember this is the same old firm that want to leave the Scottish set up at the earliest opportunity.

get tae ****

you brass necked b*******

The 10 clubs needed to vote for this change may actually realise that this is just about the only way anyone out with the OF will win the SPL.

I say the clubs join forces and give the OF the option of this mental option or another format which includes a TV deal that shares the money equally between the clubs.

I hope (and think) that this is exactly the game that's being played here. We'd likely win the league on the odd occasion if the idea somehow went through but its bonkers.

Guess The Crowd

I take that back - we're definitely in favour of it. According to David Southern on BBC.

Indeed we appear to be.

While he spoke well, the content is slightly embarrassing to be associated with. I have to agree with the OP, the idea is quite barking.

It's all very bizarre this. Does anyone know it came about that the steering group were set up to consist of the OF, Hibs, Aberdeen, Motherwell, St Mirren (what a collection!)? Meanwhile the other 6 (including us) seem to have formed their own group, coming up with this daft idea. Silly season indeed.

Drylaw Hearts

I hope (and think) that this is exactly the game that's being played here. We'd likely win the league on the odd occasion if the idea somehow went through but its bonkers.

It is completely loopy.

But if we did win it........

I wouldn't give a flying feck how we did it.

Yes, right now anyway. Utterly tragic when you think about it. Isn't it a 11-1 vote anyway?

:confused:

David Southern has just spoken regarding this and stoped short of saying this is a HMFC lead initiative, more attempting to leave the club open to ideas of which this is an example.

The idea itself is bonkers and has been shot down quite easily by two buffoons in Smith and Lennon. An open goal which they didn't miss.

Francis Albert

get tae ****

Is that right? I hadn't realised that. In my naivete I couldn't imagine the OF (or anyone) coming up with anything as outrageous as that. It makes the play-off idea seem reasonable! It should be rejected by anyone outside the OF at least as contemptuously as they have rejected the play-off proposal.

Drylaw Hearts

Yes, right now anyway. Utterly tragic when you think about it. Isn't it a 11-1 vote anyway?

David Southern has just spoken regarding this and stoped short of saying this is a HMFC lead initiative, more attempting to leave the club open to ideas of which this is an example.

The idea itself is bonkers and has been shot down quite easily by two buffoons in Smith and Lennon. An open goal which they didn't miss.

I'm sure I read that reconstruction requires a vote of 10-2.

Indeed we appear to be.

While he spoke well, the content is slightly embarrassing to be associated with. I have to agree with the OP, the idea is quite barking.

It's all very bizarre this. Does anyone know it came about that the steering group were set up to consist of the OF, Hibs, Aberdeen, Motherwell, St Mirren (what a collection!)? Meanwhile the other 6 (including us) seem to have formed their own group, coming up with this daft idea. Silly season indeed.

Any better ideas to stick it up them?

I don't think it is that barking because any other options appear to favour the OF.

And considering the amount of leagues and cup wins, games won and lost and if you matched up head to head over the last 25 years, they both would still be very strong favourities to

1. Be in the top two

2. Win their semi final tie

3. One of them being the ultimate champion.

The other options appear to be go back to something that didn't previously work - and provide the OF with all the money.

I'm now in the camp where hell mend any non OF club or supporter of a non OF club who doesn't back this - even just as a temporary bargaining tool.

Has it really?

Walter Smith reckons play offs are a good idea - as long as it doesn't impact Rangers.

Is that right? I hadn't realised that. In my naivete I couldn't imagine the OF (or anyone) coming up with anything as outrageous as that. It makes the play-off idea seem reasonable! It should be rejected by anyone outside the OF at least as contemptuously as they have rejected the play-off proposal.

Was on radio Scotland and was mentioned in a very matter of fact manner. Just about spat my irn bru all over my I pad.

Seymour M Hersh

I think they have just done exactly that. There are 3 or 4 clubs can veto the OF proposal at will. As for getting the OF lapdogs on board? Maybe 2 or 3 might rebel but the like of Boyle at Murderwell will never go against the OF.

Correct.

They are taking p!ss.

There is nothing we can propose that could be worse for Hearts and every other club than the what bed buddies want to do to us.

Drylaw Hearts

I think they have just done exactly that. There are 3 or 4 clubs can veto the OF proposal at will. As for getting the OF lapdogs on board? Maybe 2 or 3 might rebel but the like of Boyle at Murderwell will never go against the OF.

If 9 clubs agree he'd be under too much pressure to side with the OF.

I'm sure I read that reconstruction requires a vote of 10-2.

Aye, it was on the BBC website earlier that it is a 10-2 vote. So there's at least a chance of something actually getting through, no doubt at least one of the OF's Greater Glasgow Bitches will side with them though.

Out of interest, what sort of decision requires what sort of vote? We have 11-1 for some, 10-2 for others and I think 8-4 for some other stuff.

When the clubs threatened to shup up shop before they managed to get all 10 in favour.

This proposal - or something as radical, has to be backed by all 10 to give us any hope.

Unless someone can come up with something better, it's the only deal on the table making people notice.

So well done Hearts as the main movers.

Indeed we appear to be.

I don't know why the other members of the steering group were selected but I have my suspicions.

Firstly Motherwell moaned after they were denied an extra old firm game post split last season. Grandpa broon said that four old firm games a season was vital for the income of Motherwell.

The other three IMO are unlikely to be top six in the next few seasons.

Basically the old firm new what they wanted before this group was formed and chose there lapdogs wisely. All the old firm are looking for is a wee bit more tv cash each season. All the other 4 in the steering group are after is to try and get 4 home games every season against the old firm.

None of them give two hoots about Scottish football. More money to the spl2? 3 of these clubs are early relegation candidates ffs. So stay in the league get 4 old firm games or get relegated but receive more cash as a newly founded spl2 member.

The voting rules are now 10-2 so if everyone wants to stick it up the OF then it could go through. :whistling:

It does seem a barmy proposition to me but it would certainly liven things up. Personally I think it is a clever tactic by the four clubs to put a shot across the old firm bows and make it clear the league is not just for them. I expect either a ten team SPL with auto relegation for 10th or a 16 team league with play offs for relegation.

If neither of these two then it will be a stalemate and there will be no change.

Seymour M Hersh

Did we not have a full house a couple of years ago against them but several broke ranks late on (with regard to TV sponsorship) notably Thompson at Dundee Utd and Boyle? Imo the same thing will happen again as the uglies will make promises to the perceived weak links who will give in.

The play-off idea is completely nuts and would make Scottish football even more of a laughing stock than it already is. Why bother having a league at all if it all comes down to a couple of games at the end of the season?

More to the point, there is no chance of it happening.

The play-off idea is completely nuts and would make Scottish football even more of a laughing stock than it already is. Why bother having a league at all if it all comes down to a couple of games at the end of the season?

This. A million times this and nothing but this.

Did we not have a full house a couple of years ago against them but several broke ranks late on (with regard to TV sponsorship) notably Thompson at Dundee Utd and Boyle? Imo the same thing will happen again as the uglies will make promises to the perceived weak links who will give in.

Sad fact is that unless the other 10 grow sets of balls and actually stand up to the Old Filth, nothing is going to change. Personally I'm sick top death of hearing them bleating on and on about the state of the game here and having the annual "we're leaving to go to England fest". They fear real change, as they know is will lessen their grip on the game here and in turn in time lead to a more competitive set up. The only real way forward for Scottish football is an enhanced top league.

Francis Albert

It's a negotiating position. That's all. A bit like the threat to bugger off to England. It's about time someone proposed something the OF don't like!

There are a few pretty big sports worldwide who have their champions decided via play-offs - and this probably doesnt make the Competition a laughing stock:

American Football

Baseball

Rugby League (Australia & England)

Australian Rules Football

Rugby (Super 14, Magners League)

If (and this is a big if), we get back to 2 CL places, then the league winners could get one fo them and then the play-off winners could get the other one. If the Play-Off winners and the league winners are the same, then the runners-up in the Play-Offs get it.

It's a negotiating position. That's all. A bit like the threat to bugger off to England. It's about time someone proposed something the OF don't like!

FA,

Find yourself a brick wall and start banging your head against it.

Seems to me that a load of Hearts fans are happy to allow the OF to continue to rule the roost and haemorrage (sp)all the cash for themselves.

There has to be a reason that the clubs aren't coming out and saying we want an equal/proportionately share - And ones why Hearts are proposing something so radical

john brownlee

not much difference to the split only two extra teams. only played to another format. I agree it will never happen. anything they GFA do it just to giggle it for the benefit of the squirm. Whats the point of having a league if everything is geared up for the old firm as it is at the moment.

As I've said on many a thread about the split, it might work if the all the teams at the split went back to nil points. I think that's better than play off idea, at least your guaranteed two ugly games

tbh, the 10 clubs should just say that they're buggering off to form their own league, and the ugly sisters are welcome if they want to play by our rules. once they realise noone really wants them, they'll soon see that it's us that are sustaining them and come crawling back, or more likely just play each other every week, probably eventually learning that they've actually got a lot in common, are made for each other, have been harbouring a deep love for each other all along, culminating in a giant cannibal orgy of destruction. and they will be no more. :thumbsup:

kennyblack'sshot

There are a few pretty big sports worldwide who have their champions decided via play-offs - and this probably doesnt make the Competition a laughing stock:

American Football

Baseball

If (and this is a big if), we get back to 2 CL places, then the league winners could get one fo them and then the play-off winners could get the other one. If the Play-Off winners and the league winners are the same, then the runners-up in the Play-Offs get it.

Ice Hockey too and some football leagues - Australia and North America for example. Even with play-offs, the teams that finish the highest still get the easiest ties so the chances are it would still be a Rangers-Celtic play-off most years anyhow. Which is what our league boils down to at the moment anyhow, just dragged out over the season. At least play-offs would liven things up and encourage attacking football at the end of the season.

Something has to be done to tighten up the league and add interest. Play-offs at the end of the season would do that more than reverting to a 10-team league. This is my new third choice for reconstructon, after an 18-team or 16-team league.

not much difference to the split only two extra teams. only played to another format. I agree it will never happen. anything they GFA do it just to giggle it for the benefit of the squirm. Whats the point of having a league if everything is geared up for the old firm as it is at the moment.

As I've said on many a thread about the split, it might work if the all the teams at the split went back to nil points. I think that's better than play off idea, at least your guaranteed two ugly games

:laugh:

Not much different to the split? That is a belter.

American Football

Baseball

This.

Chuck in NHL and MLS.

The play off proposal is radical to European football, but to sport in general it's not that uncommon. Personally, I wouldn't have an issue with it.

The ecconomic argument stacks up - it would be more interesting in than a standard 10 team league and I think the play offs would be huge earners in terms of telly cash and sponsorship, money that can be redistrubuted evenly throughout the game up here. It ticks all the boxes that the supposed 10 team only option solution ticks.

This play off idea will never be allowed to happen as it threatens the status-quo, but I for one am going to enjoy the shit storm those proposing it are going to kick up.

jamboinglasgow

FA,

Find yourself a brick wall and start banging your head against it.

Seems to me that a load of Hearts fans are happy to allow the OF to continue to rule the roost and haemorrage (sp)all the cash for themselves.

There has to be a reason that the clubs aren't coming out and saying we want an equal/proportionately share - And ones why Hearts are proposing something so radical

the media are not helping either, they concentrate mainly on the play-off suggestion rather then seriously looking at why it has been suggested. I am talking over facebook to a good mate who is a Rangers fan, I am trying to explain that 16 team league helps competition for the top as it reduces the number of games against the old firm, to which he replies that it is just the smaller clubs running scared and he wants to see the best team win (i.e. if say Hearts beat all the other non-of teams but lost to Rangers and Celtic and won, they wouldn't be the best team cos they lost to the old firm.

This.

Chuck in NHL and MLS.

The play off proposal is radical to European football, but to sport in general it's not that uncommon. Personally, I wouldn't have an issue with it.

The ecconomic argument stacks up - it would be more interesting in than a standard 10 team league and I think the play offs would be huge earners in terms of telly cash and sponsorship, money that can be redistrubuted evenly throughout the game up here. It ticks all the boxes that the supposed 10 team only option solution ticks.

This play off idea will never be allowed to happen as it threatens the status-quo, but I for one am going to enjoy the shit storm those proposing it are going to kick up.

Exactly,

Somewhere loads of people seem to think that Scotland is some sort of major player and that we should follow the English, Spanish, Italian and German model.

It might be a bit of mischief making by David Southern/Hearts but at least he's showing initiative.

What do Celtic come up with - Let's look at loaning a guy called Ireland - and Rangers last big thing - a tacky over the top poppy display and the belting out of Rule Britannia.

This.

Chuck in NHL and MLS.

Dutch league have play-offs for the European places but not for title. Think it's between 2nd and 4th, of course they have a CL place to play for. If it was something similar then why not?

(No idea if it's still in place.)

Archived