Britpop

Albert Finney

Albert Finney

Much derided now but at the time Britpop was, genuinely, thrilling and exciting. The outside crashing the party. Soundtrack of a new political era. I loved it. In it's honor I present my own little Britpop compilation...

A Side

She Said by The Longpigs

Sleep by Marion

October Swimmer by JJ72

Into the Blue by Geneva

Delicious by Sleeper

Love is the Law by Seahorses

Save Me, I'm Yours by Gene

Insomniac by Echobelly

Wide Open Space by Mansun

Mark by Shed Seven

Waking Up by Elastica

B Side

Hypocrite by Lush

To Earth With Love by Gay Dad

This Is Music by The Verve

Memories by Northern Uproar

This is the Sound of Youth by These Animal Men

If... by The Bluetones

Untouchable by Rialto

You and Me Song by The Wannadies

Come Back to What You Know by Embrace

Good Souls by Starsailor

An utterly pointless thread that will please only me but if you have a favourite Britpop track feel free to share!

Bobby_swing_the_bar

Some excellent tunes there. Britpop was a fantastic time to grow up, with so many superb bands around. Music now is not a patch on back in the mid 90's.

Bands consistently managed to churn out good b-sides back then too.

Some classic Britpop albums:

Pulp - Different class

Cast - Alright

Suede - Dog Man Star

Hurricane #1

Sleeper - The IT Girl

Bluetones - Expecting To Fly

Also could add Reef and Ocean Colour Scene to that stuff, as they were pretty big at the time too.

Albert Finney

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NO4_BjbLCqY&feature=fvw

How overblown was Britpop at times? :lol: "Yep, just fire in the string quartet again"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_9taBoVF-M&feature=fvw

Totally overblown CAF...but that was the nature of the times that spawned it. We all believed that we were on the brink of something incredible and that we ourselves were incredible!

Totally overblown CAF...but that was the nature of the times that spawned it. We all believed that we were on the brink of something incredible and that we ourselves were incredible!

I loved all the guitar music then, great time to grow up and start discovering music. My music collection is primarily Britpop stuff before expanding into what influenced them.

Say from that Suede album (Name escapes me) til Urban Hymns came out in 97. Anything before or after isn't Britpop IMO.

Much derided now but at the time Britpop was, genuinely, thrilling and exciting. The outside crashing the party. Soundtrack of a new political era. I loved it. In it's honor I present my own little Britpop compilation...

A Side

She Said by The Longpigs

Sleep by Marion

October Swimmer by JJ72

Into the Blue by Geneva

Delicious by Sleeper

Love is the Law by Seahorses

Save Me, I'm Yours by Gene

Insomniac by Echobelly

Wide Open Space by Mansun

Mark by Shed Seven

Waking Up by Elastica

B Side

Hypocrite by Lush

To Earth With Love by Gay Dad

This Is Music by The Verve

Memories by Northern Uproar

This is the Sound of Youth by These Animal Men

If... by The Bluetones

Untouchable by Rialto

You and Me Song by The Wannadies

Come Back to What You Know by Embrace

Good Souls by Starsailor

An utterly pointless thread that will please only me but if you have a favourite Britpop track feel free to share!

Where to begin?

Wrong Longpigs track

Wrong Marion track

Wrong Sleeper track

Wrong Gene track

Wrong Mansun track

Wrong Shed Seven track

Wrong Bluetones track

Wrong Wannadies track

and half a dozen honking bands... Gay Dad? Rialto? Geneva? JJ72?

Oh, and The Verve were in no way shape or form "Britpop".

Otherwise it is okay. No need to thank me. :)

and half a dozen honking bands... Gay Dad? Rialto? Geneva? JJ72?

I thought JJ72 were decent.

Just my opinion likesay.

Albert Finney

Where to begin?

Wrong Longpigs track for you

Wrong Marion track for you

Wrong Sleeper track for you

Wrong Gene track for you

Wrong Mansun track for you

Wrong Shed Seven track for you

Wrong Bluetones track for you

Wrong Wannadies track for you

and half a dozen bands I don't really know anything about... Gay Dad? The essence of the Britpop aesthetic. Rialto? Gorgeous, swooping, pop. Geneva? Glorious vocals matched by no other band of the time. JJ72? One of the wonderful bands who released one album and disappeared during the time.

Oh, and The Verve were in a crucial part of "Britpop" with "A Northern Soul" and gave the movement it's end note with "Urban Hymns"

Thanks for this though Albert.

Albert Finney

I thought JJ72 were decent.

Just my opinion likesay.

Just one of those "lost" bands roman. I could have made a playlist that was filled with Blur, Pulp, Oasis, Ocean Colour Scene and "Coming Up" era Suede but I wanted to chuck in a few of the oddities of the era. Don't imagine it is everyones cup of tea or that everyone will agree with me, that's why I asked for the thoughts of others. Glad you remember JJ72 too...I loved that album.

Sergio Garcia

Just one of those "lost" bands roman. I could have made a playlist that was filled with Blur, Pulp, Oasis, Ocean Colour Scene and "Coming Up" era Suede but I wanted to chuck in a few of the oddities of the era. Don't imagine it is everyones cup of tea or that everyone will agree with me, that's why I asked for the thoughts of others. Glad you remember JJ72 too...I loved that album.

Thought it was quality album as well. Often pops up on the shuffle

Albert Finney

Thought it was quality album as well. Often pops up on the shuffle

The JJ72 appreciation society starts here! Now!!

Albert Finney

:laugh:

Poor Albert. :)

Oh, and to reiterate, The Verve had nothing to do with that "Britpop" movement.

Ta muchly.

I think you are probably right husref. Many of the bands/tracks on my original compilation are not the best bands or tracks from bands but those were the tracks that tickled me as I was wading through my (too big) collection of singles from that era. I disagree about The Verve though...whether they, or you, like it or not they are part of the Britpop scene. In the same way that people like Suede, The Auteurs, Denim, OrlandO (who were really Romo) and even Morrissey are also part of the scene; it embraced any and all British bands releasing records at that point really. You didn't need to have a mockney singer or be wearing retro clothing to be part of it...it was a much more fluid scene than that. The fact that The Verve didn't sound like Thurman (zing!) doesn't mean they are not part of that scene or that moment in pop culture history.

Albert Finney

dunno if it counts as Britpop, but I've always been partial to the Auteurs

True story...Luke Haines from The Auteurs paid his cellist the same amount of money NOT to play on a Gene record as Gene were offering to play on it! I loved The Auteurs. Saw them supporting Suede at The Venue.

Thought the indie stuff from the late 80s/early 90s was much better tbh.

With the exception of the Super Furry Animals, obviously! :)

Albert Finney

Thought the indie stuff from the late 80s/early 90s was much better tbh.

With the exception of the Super Furry Animals, obviously! :)

A madchester thread beckons!!

True story...Luke Haines from The Auteurs paid his cellist the same amount of money NOT to play on a Gene record as Gene were offering to play on it! I loved The Auteurs. Saw them supporting Suede at The Venue.

Luke Haines's book "Bad Vibes" is a cracking read.

post-6451-0-12635700-1292879137_thumb.jpg

Never really saw how the Manics got classed as "britpop", since they are infinitely superior to the other bands of the "genre".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLhRc0feRew&feature=fvst

the manics were superior before richey disappeared. they would never ever have fitted into britpop with him in the band. the manics that came back from his absence are a poor, sold out watered down version of what they once were

Britpop was immense!!!

Ultrasound - Stay Young

Inaura - This Months Epic

Octopus - Adrenalina

Marion - Late Gate Show

Mansun - Closed For Business

Bluetones - Nifkins Bridge

Blur - Popscene

Boo Radleys - From The Bench At Belvedere

Longpigs - Jesus Christ

My Life Story - 12 Reasons Why I Love Her

Sadly for every classic at the time, there was a Bennet (My Mums Gone To Iceland) or Menswe@r.

the manics were superior before richey disappeared. they would never ever have fitted into britpop with him in the band. the manics that came back from his absence are a poor, sold out watered down version of what they once were

I take it you haven't heard the last two or three albums?

They certainly lost it a bit on albums such as Lifeblood, Know Your Enemy, and This is my truth (some good tracks, but not a great album), but are back on good form.

Also, calling them watered down is something I hear from people that only liked The Holy Bible. However, you need to compare their previous records, Generation Terrorists and GATS, to Everything Must Go etc. Apparently Journal For Plague Lovers was written with lyrics left by Richie.

Its also important to realise that Richie was a band spokesman and lyric writer, but wasn't a great guitarist or live performer (James often had to cover for him), and his influence has been a little overstated.

Anyway, Journal For Plague Lovers was the album of the year last year, and Postcards From A Young Man is this years. Two very different albums, but both excellent.

I take it you haven't heard the last two or three albums?

They certainly lost it a bit on albums such as Lifeblood, Know Your Enemy, and This is my truth (some good tracks, but not a great album), but are back on good form.

Also, calling them watered down is something I hear from people that only liked The Holy Bible. However, you need to compare their previous records, Generation Terrorists and GATS, to Everything Must Go etc. Apparently Journal For Plague Lovers was written with lyrics left by Richie.

Its also important to realise that Richie was a band spokesman and lyric writer, but wasn't a great guitarist or live performer (James often had to cover for him), and his influence has been a little overstated.

Anyway, Journal For Plague Lovers was the album of the year last year, and Postcards From A Young Man is this years. Two very different albums, but both excellent.

to be honest i've not gave them house room since everything must go (which i thought was very poor). richeys influence was probably overstated due to the piss poor comeback they had with everything must go and the records that followed. theres probably nothing will ever convince me to buy a manics album ever again. to be fair and despite valiant attempts from friends i don't really listen to music anymore except for a good blast of R.E.M. or old Guns n Roses. the last two bands i went to see were Broken Records and Frightened Rabbit and i don't even know their music that well.

anyway, a couple of my favourites from the britpop era

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j85MhM_gCTQ&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rILoQxIZgD8

Albert Finney

Britpop was immense!!!

Ultrasound - Stay Young

Inaura - This Months Epic

Octopus - Adrenalina

Marion - Late Gate Show

Mansun - Closed For Business

Bluetones - Nifkins Bridge

Blur - Popscene

Boo Radleys - From The Bench At Belvedere

Longpigs - Jesus Christ

My Life Story - 12 Reasons Why I Love Her

Sadly for every classic at the time, there was a Bennet (My Mums Gone To Iceland) or Menswe@r.

Now here is a chap who knows his/her stuff! Ultrasound were brilliant...prog rock meets britpop with the fabulous Tiny at the helm. Inaura...I seem to remember that particular track featuring on one of those free CDs they gave away with Select magazine and the Octopus track on a free tape with Melody Maker. I saw Marion on an NME tour with Skunk Anansie (bleurgh) and Veruca Salt (who went down like a lead balloon thanks to their being American...ah the lazy racism of britpop!). I have a copy of The Bluetones single that they sold only on their first tour...signed by the whole band. "Popscene" has to be one of the great British singles of all time. The Boo Radleys were genius. The Longpigs track also featured on a freebie tape from Melody Maker. For mentioning the divine MLS I award you bonus Britpop points...one of my favourite bands of the time.

Read and listened through the thread as this is a musical time I remember well but there's very little posted here that sounds good.

I think it was this sort of music that made me lose interest in indie / guitar based music. Menswear, Pulp, Bluetones etc sounded pish at the time to me and now they sound really pish. Earlier era Northside, Ride, Charlatans, Happy Mondays, Inspiral Carpets etc all sounded pretty good and a lot of that stuff is still quite nice but the Britpop era was a movement comprised of really poor, generic, average music that killed the Indie sound stone dead for me.

Albert Finney

Read and listened through the thread as this is a musical time I remember well but there's very little posted here that sounds good.

I think it was this sort of music that made me lose interest in indie / guitar based music. Menswear, Pulp, Bluetones etc sounded pish at the time to me and now they sound really pish. Earlier era Northside, Ride, Charlatans, Happy Mondays, Inspiral Carpets etc all sounded pretty good and a lot of that stuff is still quite nice but the Britpop era was a movement comprised of really poor, generic, average music that killed the Indie sound stone dead for me.

I think you are right Cosanostra (at least in part) there was a lot of very poor, generic and average bands at that time...including some of the ones I am "bigging up" here. But a bit of nostalgia doesn't do you any harm! The likes of Thurman, Bennet, Elcka, Menswe@r, Mantaray, The Flamingoes, Mover and dozens more got record contracts on the back of drinking in the Good Mixer or dancing at Blow Up! I think the same could be said of any, or at least, many musical eras...plenty of music released in the sixties was absolute rubbish and glam had a few great bands but many more average ones.

Manic Street Preachers have hit a fantastic vein of form lately but will never surpass The Holy Bible in my opinion.

Best album of Britpop was This is Hardcore by Pulp. The end. Fact.

I more or less agree. :thumbsup:

If you haven't already, then read The Last Party by John Harris.

The+Last+Party+%2B+John+Harris.jpeg

It's pretty good, although dwells on the Frischmann, Anderson & Albarn relationship a bit too much for me. Was it really that central? Possibly, and possibly it shows my antipathy to Suede...

Anyway, well worth a read!

Manic Street Preachers have hit a fantastic vein of form lately but will never surpass The Holy Bible in my opinion.

Best album of Britpop was This is Hardcore by Pulp. The end. Fact.

Always felt Pulp were overrated. However, I wouldn't be surprised if I end up seeing them at T in the Park (pretty much a definite to play).

Hopefully the Manics will be on the other stage to see something decent.

I wasn't really a fan of "britpop" at all. At the time I was mostly listening to Grunge acts like Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Screaming Trees, and Alice In Chains. This makes it difficult to compare britpop acts when the only one I liked were/are the Manics who didn't really fit the scene.

A decade is a long time and im not saying there wasn`t good music around, but i felt in general music had a decline in the 90`s.

How many bands that orignated in the 90`s will be remembered for a long time or can be regarded as legends of music?

Archived