Zal

Clerry Jambo

If you could clear yir lanes mate it might add a nought to your transfer fee........

Lost count on the number of times he just gave it away to a Well player.

His reading of the game has certainly improved but he still causes panic with his clearances

Sort it!!

If you could clear yir lanes mate it might add a nought to your transfer fee........

His reading of the game has certainly improved but he still causes panic with his clearances

Sort it!!

He is prone to error but the boy is worth his weight in gold to us.

Solid as the old Castle rock 99% of the time.

He is prone to error but the boy is worth his weight in gold to us.

Solid as the old Castle rock 99% of the time.

Zal has an arrogance about him which is fine, every player should have abit.

He just needs to concentrate a bit more - take the Well goal last night, seconds before HT the baw should have been in Row ZZZ but he tried a world cup clearance and you know what happened.

On the positive side we limited them to very little last night which was no mean feat.

PS Thought Ruben was outstanding

I don't think he even tried a fancy clearance, he is just rank rotten kicking a moving ball any distance with his left foot. So frustrating because like last night, he's not only given the ball away but it way out of position. Put it in the stand and get back to reorganise!!

I won't defend him for that clearance last night, it was shocking, but was it not just one of those things? If he puts the ball straight out of play, in line with where he is standing, and they score from the resultant throw in we'd be saying he should have punted it up the pitch. Sometimes you just lose goals.

I won't defend him for that clearance last night, it was shocking, but was it not just one of those things? If he puts the ball straight out of play, in line with where he is standing, and they score from the resultant throw in we'd be saying he should have punted it up the pitch. Sometimes you just lose goals.

thats it mate, he did have a couple of them last night, but was overall excellent, how any goals has blackman got ? he kept him quieter than a door mouse.

Also zal is usually pretty good at playing passes out of defence to start attacks, look at the 2nd goal on saturday, he does it pently of times.

Correct. We had plenty players back at the time and the boys run on goal maybe ought to have been tracked better.

Having said that Zal must be the worlds worst for sclaffing clearances!

The Treasurer

He just needs to concentrate a bit more - take the Well goal last night, seconds before HT the baw should have been in Row ZZZ but he tried a world cup clearance and you know what happened.

On the positive side we limited them to very little last night which was no mean feat.

Agree about Ruben who I thought had his best game yet at LB.

I thought the clearances from the defence in general were poor last night but I think at the goal Zal was maybe guilty of trying to be constructive with the ball by keeping it in play rather than just a hoof into the stand.

Had it fallen to a Hearts player he would have been applauded for a decent clearance and equally if he'd booted it out for a throw and they'd scored he would have got pelters.

I thought the 3 defenders that were bunched together when the ball was played through were more at fault than Zal

Agree about Ruben who I thought had his best game yet at LB.

I thought the clearances from the defence in general were poor last night but I think at the goal Zal was maybe guilty of trying to be constructive with the ball by keeping it in play rather than just a hoof into the stand.

Had it fallen to a Hearts player he would have been applauded for a decent clearance and equally if he'd booted it out for a throw and they'd scored he would have got pelters.

I thought the 3 defenders that were bunched together when the ball was played through were more at fault than Zal

You're correct many were guilty of poor clearances and simply giving the ball away.

I highlighted Zal because it's not a 1 off with him.

The Treasurer

You're correct many were guilty of poor clearances and simply giving the ball away.

I highlighted Zal because it's not a 1 off with him.

True, but his good points out weigh his bad ones and the defence is without doubt better since his return to the side

Thought we struggled in general clearing our lines today. Our whole defense and any midfielder who needed to punt it seemed to sclaff it 20 yards. Real bother getting height in it. I know JJ wasn't happy with how rock solid the pitch was as he'd been told it wouldn't be. Duno if that's the reason. The 'Well players had similar probs.

What i'd say for Zal is, playing as the left centre back, he's more often than not clearing with his left foot. I hate players not being 2 footed and he is generally ok on his left side, but a wee excuse for him anyway.

Just realised the above may be harsh on Pala, who I thought dealt well on and off the ball tonight.

We won so can forgive him, but Zal do what Elvis did, chip it into the crowd, plenty time to reorganise while the ball is collected.

He scuffed a clearance, it's not like he deliberately meant to play it like that.

9 times out of 10 that would have landed halfway inside the Motherwell half and there would have been no danger.

Thunderstruck

You can put a poor clearance in the debit column and a superb tackle (when they thought they had a pen) in the credit column.

Every player makes mistakes but very few will be subjected to such microscopic study of each and every move.

His partnership and understanding with Bouzid is the foundation of the team and a major part of recent successes where Kello has been lightly employed.

Spitonastranger

Hands up anyone who has not made a mistake........ None, Zal has been great since he's been back and has saved a lot more goals in games that his odd mistake costs, get a grip

Sort it!!

Bit of hyperbole there, surely CJ, or didn't you get past 2 in P1?

His form since coming back into the side has been his best at Hearts. He should be excused last night's mistake due to his good form.

He was only 50% to blame anyway ... Mroweic was caught ball watching and let the guy go free. He can also be excused given his great form.

Made some vital tackles last night. He's been our rock in the last 6 games. Give him some credit. Doo Doo Doo Marius Zaliukas!

Notorious BIG

He tries the world cup clearences because he gets jip from some of our support when he kicks it straight out, i dont mind it better that then losing the ball but some of our support have a moan when it just kicked out!!

givememychoice

Its unfortunate for him.

Numerous players were at partial fault for the goal. Being a central defender means you are much more likely to be guilty of a fatal error. If i recall, Motherwell had 3 shots on goal, with one of those on target. He must have been doing something right. I would have liked to see mrowiec drop further back to cover zaliukas heading out of position (he was more left back at the point of clearance.)

We still had enough men back when we gave the ball away about 40 yards out, we should have been able to cope.

As some have said, what if he puts the ball out for a throw and score as a result.....pelters.

Slightly related, Its something that does my nut in when people say "play the easy ball" regardless of where you are on the park. The easy ball generally doesnt carve defences open. There are times when you should, and other times when its not so important. Valois and miko were key ones for getting this wrong. They would try and shimmy out of defence, when an easy punt would do. But, you want them to try the tricky stuff up the other end of the park. Its what makes goals.

Sort it!!

:smiliz23:

Big Zal is the best central defender in the SPL by a country mile. Our results since his return say everything about how great he is. Big Zal - Hearts hero. Fact. :thumbsup:

Our entire defence was poor with their clearing last night. Zal has been and will remain one of the best defenders in the league and a huge reason we're talking about pushing the OF rather than aiming for 3/4th.

It was a bit of back luck with his weaker foot.

If he puts it out, it gives well a attacking throw-in so he clears it with the thought that we have 2 defensive midfielders "just in case"

It didn't work out this time..

The Real Maroonblood

Unfortunately he thinks he is Franz Beckenbauer.

This. thumbsup.gif But don't let that get in the way of some on here who think he is the best defender in the SPL, you could not make it upwoot.gif

Spot on. I really rate Zal - he's clearly got ability and on his game he is very good. His problems are that he lacks concentration at times and he thinks he is Beckenbauer/Maldini/Baresi or some other defensive legend.

I suppose that's just the way he is though.

Drylaw Hearts

Having been one of his biggest critics.......

Zal has been huge for us since he returned. His attitude is different and he's all but cut out the mistakes which were holding him back.

He did make a couple of sloppy clearances last night but he also made a few cracking last ditch tackles.

At last some sense from the last 2 posters, I wiz taking a bit of a hammering from the Rio, sorry Zal fan club :whistling:

If its OK with them I will still take a 40 year old Davie Weir, with what he lacks in a bit pace now, makes up with his class and rarely gives the baw away.......and thats a fact

When we struggled to find form in the early part of the season and were shipping goals, and the defence looked dodgy as ****, who was missing? Oh yes, it was Zal wasn't it. 'nuff said.

Here are the facts:

In the 9 competitive games without Zal we shipped 14 goals.

In the 9 competitve games with Zal back, we have lost 4 goals!!!

That is the case for the defence!!!

At last some sense from the last 2 posters, I wiz taking a bit of a hammering from the Rio, sorry Zal fan club :whistling:

If its OK with them I will still take a 40 year old Davie Weir, with what he lacks in a bit pace now, makes up with his class and rarely gives the baw away.......and thats a fact

In their last 9 competitive games Rangers have lost 12 goals.

In their last 9 competitive games Hearts have lost 4 goals.

I don't think anyone needs to defend Zal anymore, the stats/his play speaks for itself.

I do find it strange that Clerry attacks Zal for playing the ball on the ground. Our one weakeness is the limited ability of Bouzid with the ball at his feet and so he punts it up to Kyle. Barr did similar when he came in which is why we need Eggy back. Get three footballers in our back four and leave only Bouzid to his punts.

As for ironically comparing Zal to Rio - your not that far off. Rio is usually dominant for 95% of a match but usually has an error of judgement. Was quite common when Rio was 27 in fact.

It is hard to fault Zal's concentration these days. He looks the most calm, focused player on the park since he came back from his exile.

Here are the facts:

In the 9 competitive games without Zal we shipped 14 goals.

In the 9 competitve games with Zal back, we have lost 4 goals!!!

That is the case for the defence!!!

Cannae beat a wee Thursday morning Stat CM and I'm sure it's 100% correct.

But I would like to praise the team as a whole for that, especially Mr Kello who has produced some outstanding saves during this time including the save against Celtic when another "one-off gaffe" from "our Rio" should have gave Celtic an undeserved equaliser.

Anyway I'm sure Zal's performances will be noted by the big guns down South :whistling:

There were a lot of posters who were quite simply wrong about Zal.

He's a top defender in the SPL and is doing an excellent job as captain.

He also looks to be fully committed on the pitch.

Zal is ace. He's always going to have the odd dodgy moment but on the whole he's an extremely important player for us.

So how many points would be have been on if Zal had just signed the contract at the first time of asking..

Maybe its better not to think about it..

Zal is quality and is one of the best defenders in the SPL just behind Bougherra but thats the only one i can think of..

I would definately rather have Zal than Davie Weir who spends the entire 90 minutes trying to referee the game.. fair enough Weir can read a game but he is too slow and he gets caught out a number of times.. if he had been at hearts i think it would have been highlighted more than it does now as he is Rangers golden... grandad

This. thumbsup.gif But don't let that get in the way of some on here who think he is the best defender in the SPL, you could not make it upwoot.gif

He's certainly up there. The stats speak for themselves. Barring Bougherra and Weir at an absolute push there are no better central defenders in the SPL. That, is a fact.

Cannae beat a wee Thursday morning Stat CM and I'm sure it's 100% correct.

But I would like to praise the team as a whole for that, especially Mr Kello who has produced some outstanding saves during this time including the save against Celtic when another "one-off gaffe" from "our Rio" should have gave Celtic an undeserved equaliser.

Anyway I'm sure Zal's performances will be noted by the big guns down South :whistling:

of course it`s about kello and the rest of the defence as well.

as well as good overall ability what zal offers is leadership. he talks and organises the defence and that imo is a major factor in us shipping far less goals since he has been back in the side.

yeah he does make the odd howler but on his day he is among the top three or four central defenders in the league and is improving (positional sense being one example) all the time.

So how many points would be have been on if Zal had just signed the contract at the first time of asking..

Maybe its better not to think about it..

Zal is quality and is one of the best defenders in the SPL just behind Bougherra but thats the only one i can think of..

I would definately rather have Zal than Davie Weir who spends the entire 90 minutes trying to referee the game.. fair enough Weir can read a game but he is too slow and he gets caught out a number of times.. if he had been at hearts i think it would have been highlighted more than it does now as he is Rangers golden... grandad

I'd rather Zal was Sotland's centre half than Weir. A million times over

Archived