It's beginning to feel a lot like ...

Francis Albert

Whilst I love the optimism shown by you guys on this thread, I simply refuse to believe anything like this and get carried away because I'm so used to being disappointed in the past, it's part of what makes us Hearts fans, we show so much potential at times yet fall short because we don't have the resources to sustain things.

If it happens though it could well be the death of me as my liver could just collapse, what a way to go though! :D

I agree. With each result I gain a little more hope but I'm so used to disappointment that I try not to ever get my expectations up too high (although I have to admit that I did after the early run in 2005/06).

Having said that, we could win our next 5 games (up to and including the derby) and even if Celtic won their games but lost to Rangers on January 2nd then we would be level on points with them (and Celtic would have a game in hand).

Edit: yes I know that saying we can win our next 5 games is getting a little bit carried away despite me saying I didn't have high expectations :teehee:

Actually, I'm not sure what is happening with the postponed fixtures so Celtic might actually play their postponed game this month.

I agree. With each result I gain a little more hope but I'm so used to disappointment that I try not to ever get my expectations up too high (although I have to admit that I did after the early run in 2005/06).

Having said that, we could win our next 5 games (up to and including the derby) and even if Celtic won their games but lost to Rangers on January 2nd then we would be level on points with them (and Celtic would have a game in hand).

Edit: yes I know that saying we can win our next 5 games is getting a little bit carried away despite me saying I didn't have high expectations :teehee:

Actually, I'm not sure what is happening with the postponed fixtures so Celtic might actually play their postponed game this month.

I posted earlier that there is a possibility of us being level on points with them by 5pm on Saturday. A slim possibility but a possibility nonetheless. Even the fact that it is possible over the course of one week to draw level with them must give us a huge boost and at the same time, they (Celtic) are suddenly looking over their shoulder. If they havent looked yet, perhaps they should. ? Should we win on Tuesday and Saturday, they must keep matching or bettering our results on a week by week basis to keep ahead of us, thats how close it has suddenly become.

I posted earlier that there is a possibility of us being level on points with them by 5pm on Saturday. A slim possibility but a possibility nonetheless. Even the fact that it is possible over the course of one week to draw level with them must give us a huge boost and at the same time, they (Celtic) are suddenly looking over their shoulder. If they havent looked yet, perhaps they should. ? Should we win on Tuesday and Saturday, they must keep matching or bettering our results on a week by week basis to keep ahead of us, thats how close it has suddenly become.

Good point. I can't help but think back to that Rangers game at Tynie with the last minute goal. If we'd won that game (after being 1-0 up) then it would currently be: Rangers-35, Celtic-35, Hearts-32. You never know what could happen in the next few weeks and it would be amazing to be level with Celtic (even if they do have a game in hand when we are level). It would be huge for us and Celtic would suddenly have pressure on them to even remain in second place.

The Treasurer

It's the oldest cliche in the book, but I'd rather just look at one game at a time and see what happens.

Results and performances like Saturday don't happen too often so lets just enjoy them while we can.

If we win tomorrow night, and I'm a lot more confident of that happening now Brown's out the door, then I think we can start looking up rather than down.

Celtic are there for the taking IMO and the only thing that I think will mean Rangers streaking ahead is this proposed takeover. If it goes through then there will be no pressure on Rangers to sell and they will probably be able to add to the squad meaning they'll be out of sight by mid-February IMO. If it doesn't go through then it will be fun and games for the currant buns and I think they might go the way of Celtic.

All supposition of course but I don't see why aiming for 2nd is out of the question. We're in superb form and with Wallace and Driver still to return then we can get even better. If Vlad were to deliver this central midfielder that JJ is after, be that Bryson or someone else unknown to us, then we will be laughing.

I don't want to get into all that we could split the OF stuff as a massive slap in the face is always difficult to deal with............but.....

6 points from the next two games would put us comfortable in third place,

Then there's two of the "less worrying" (not brave enough to type easier) away fixtures before the Derby

Get 10 points or above from that lot and it's gonna be pretty hard to keep a lid on it for me.

us playing games whilst other teams were idle played a big part in getting us to the top end of the league in 85/86 as well. There's a better than average chance Celtic will be idle again on Saturday, and if we could win the two games this weekm which will be very tough, then we would be level on points with them.

I don't see much chance of us winning the league, but I would love to see us mount a proper challenge and give it a real go. It's a very difficult period coming up though.

jamboolood1874

Whilst I love the optimism shown by you guys on this thread, I simply refuse to believe anything like this and get carried away because I'm so used to being disappointed in the past, it's part of what makes us Hearts fans, we show so much potential at times yet fall short because we don't have the resources to sustain things.

If it happens though it could well be the death of me as my liver could just collapse, what a way to go though! :D

you've got a point mate but if you look at what some of our players are on 8 grand to 10 grand a week most likley we have got the resources;this team is oozing with confedence (look at my last post on this thread)as someone has pointed out we have recovered brilliantly from the killie game and put ourselves back on track but we just need to take one step at a time.

If Hearts were ever to win the league, it would require almost everything coming together: Rangers and Celtic ordinary to poor, sneaking lots of last-minute goals, winning in Glasgow twice or more a year, escaping serious injuries and suspensions, avoiding pishy losses almost full stop. At the moment, we've had two bad home defeats, two disappointing home draws and lost in Glasgow. We're looking for almost everything to come together.

Talk again in late January.

It's one thing getting closer or catching Celtic in the coming weeks. Bit you've then got to match them for the remainder of the season. Can we keep a great run going till may!!

Would love it to happen, though can't see it. My guess is that we'll get within a couple of points of Celtic then drop away to finish in 3rd by some distance.

Just don't believe Celtic are going to fall away in the way some suggest. Their next 3 games are Hamilton away, followed by St Johnstone and Motherwell at home. Wouldn't be surprised if they won all 3 and then they'll be a team full of confidence again. Remember they won 7 games in a row at the start of the season.

Our wins haven't all be as comfortable as the Aberdeen game. We're still only 3 points ahead of ICT albeit with a game in hand, whilst Motherwell are only 6 behind and have a game in hand.

If I was spread betting, I'd still bet on us finishing at least 12 points behind second place. A very premature thread.

The biggest positive is that I think we can cope with injuries and suspensions reasonably well. MY biggest worry is centre back, but I'm hoping that if Barr is brought back in to a team with confidence then he'll have the chance to settle in.

To me the side is looking a bit like the good Rangers side of the early 90s.

A very good goalie. Strong defenders playing at the top of their game. 2 ball winners in central midfield (Black and Mroweic for Ferguson and McCall). Skacel and Templeton similar in their games to Huistra (or Mikhailichenko) and Laudrup. Then Kyle and Elliott for Hateley and McCoist up front.

Francis Albert

Premature? We must keep our feet on the ground? Otherwise we are in for a terrible disappointment? I don't agree. In nearly 50 years mostly all I've ever had from Hearts is false hope and disappointment. The only time hope really disappeared was the relegation yo yo years. It would have been a pretty miserable 50 years without the hope, and there is more justification for it now than there usually has been. Does anyone really regret the disappoinment of Dens to th extent of wishing we hadn't celebrated the run that led to it so much and had kept our fet on the ground? OK we are still a lng way from that run (although at this stage slightly ahead of progress in that season) but why suppress the stirrings of hope?

And as for worrying about Hibbies laughing at us? Come on!

Charlie-Brown

Premature? We must keep our feet on the ground? Otherwise we are in for a terrible disappointment? I don't agree. In nearly 50 years mostly all I've ever had from Hearts is false hope and disappointment. The only time hope really disappeared was the relegation yo yo years. It would have been a pretty miserable 50 years without the hope, and there is more justification for it now than there usually has been. Does anyone really regret the disappoinment of Dens to th extent of wishing we hadn't celebrated the run that led to it so much and had kept our fet on the ground? OK we are still a lng way from that run (although at this stage slightly ahead of progress in that season) but why suppress the stirrings of hope?

And as for worrying about Hibbies laughing at us? Come on!

Once JJ starts saying each week "We are taking everything one game at a time" and we continue to keep up an impressive run of results THEN it will feel like 1985-86 again so until then I'm just taking our current good form and results one game at a time. :)

Sexton Hardcastle

The usual "What if" factor...

Werent the Old Firm something like 16 points ahead of the rest after 8/9 games (cant remember the exact difference), so it shows we've done a hell of a job in that respect. If only we had the mentality we do now back when we dropped points at home to St Johnstone, United, Killie and Motherwell, we could have potentialy been in the mix.

Still a long way to go but a strong third place finish would build for a decent prospect for next season at very worst. With only one Champions league slot available, and even then they would have to come past a top seed, we could do a lot worse than securing the majority of this squad for a push next season.

Difference is in 86? we knew our last 5 fixtures ? this time the Glasgow mafia will ensure the last 3 games are away to the old firm and ICT and we?ll get two home games on the Sunday then the Monday back to back ? just to ensure complete fairness :whistling:

Archived