It's beginning to feel a lot like ...

Francis Albert

Francis Albert

OK, it's foolhardy, wildly optimistic, and setting up for a huge fall. But a team predicted before the season to maybe struggle in mid-table, after 6 or 8 games looking more like relegation candidates, then going off on a run with steadily building confidence and team spirit. And, adjusting for 3 points for a win, now 4 points ahead of where we were at the same stage back then.

I don't think we're likely to get any closer than we are to the OF just now. In 1986 there were 3 teams capable of taking points off the ugly sisters. Don't think there are now. Unless Pa Broon is actually Harry Potter and can magically transform horse manure into a football team. I'm loving the attitude, team spirit and attacking philosophy just now. That'll do for me. :thumbsup:

I don't think we're likely to get any closer than we are to the OF just now. In 1986 there were 3 teams capable of taking points off the ugly sisters. Don't think there are now.

Well Inverness have drew with Rangers twice and Celtic once, Dundee Hibernian also took points off Celtic not too long ago. And don't forget Hibs went to Ibrox and put 3 past Rangers while we were giving Celtic a doing. The Old Firm aren't the stand out teams they they normally are this season.

To be honest I think that most teams, or their day, are more than able to take points from them.

Well I'd settle for 2nd now anyway...

Not if we're first for 4 months of the season and still top going into the last game I wouldnt ( as we were in 1986 of course)

If we can keeping winning our "should win" games for as long as we can and take bits and pieces from the games against the OF then we could be in with a shout here.(for second place)

Celtic, I feel, are waking up to the fact that they cannot win the league under Lennon. I think they are fragile and vulnerable and not very good and if we get a bit closer to them in the next few weeks, they''ll crumble. 2nd is no use whatsoever to them, they'd be as well being 4th or 5th so once the title is gone and I dont expect it to be that long, we COULD overtake them. They key to this is getting right on their shoulders or above them if thats possible (and it is if you look at the fixtures) before we next play them

We need to be right on our game though, winning the "should wins" and taking something from the OF, particularly Celtic.

Rangers, I think, although they dont have a big squad, have 3 excellent players in key positions ( Bougherra, David and Miller) plus a first 11 of great experience at a reasonably high level (Champions league etc etc) who will see them stroll to the title by a distance.

Its the mindset of the football fan to be wildly optimistic & get carried away at even the slightest sign of a decent run.

The run the team is on at the moment is absolutely fantastic. When you consider the shit we put up with last season, it's like night & day. The thought of having to cheer on the likes of Stewart & Nade (fat) actually makes me cringe now.

Still don't think we'll pick up the consistency that title winners need. But this side does bear the hallmark of a cup winning team.

Tiberius Stinkfinger

Sadly...

"And the gentlemen in ties sacrilegiously fine Hearts for bad discipline. I have a human pity for them - killing clubs is a hard job where the champions are known in advance."

It's always the same formula: win your run-of-the-mill games and hope for draws and heroic wins against the OF.

A draw or loss against Motherwell and people will laugh at this thread. An impressive win would keep some rhythm going. Losing 0-3 and 0-2 v Kilmarnock and Motherwell were bad results and there may be more like them.

2-5 v Rangers in 1997-98, 2-3 v Celtic in 2005-06 come to mind. "Don't get any ideas" seemed to be the point. One thing in our favour is scoring relatively freely. Better that than relying on 1-0s.

Craig Herbertson

Not if we're first for 4 months of the season and still top going into the last game I wouldnt ( as we were in 1986 of course)

If we can keeping winning our "should win" games for as long as we can and take bits and pieces from the games against the OF then we could be in with a shout here.(for second place)

Celtic, I feel, are waking up to the fact that they cannot win the league under Lennon. I think they are fragile and vulnerable and not very good and if we get a bit closer to them in the next few weeks, they''ll crumble. 2nd is no use whatsoever to them, they'd be as well being 4th or 5th so once the title is gone and I dont expect it to be that long, we COULD overtake them. They key to this is getting right on their shoulders or above them if thats possible (and it is if you look at the fixtures) before we next play them

We need to be right on our game though, winning the "should wins" and taking something from the OF, particularly Celtic.

Rangers, I think, although they dont have a big squad, have 3 excellent players in key positions ( Bougherra, David and Miller) plus a first 11 of great experience at a reasonably high level (Champions league etc etc) who will see them stroll to the title by a distance.

Good post, and the following one. A team that keeps winning appears invulnerable so there's a huge optimistic boost in everyone's head at the moment. The depth of our pool is greater than its been for a long time though and we now have players fighting for a place in a very good side. I think we have a chance of dislodging a crumbling Celtic if their problems continue and if we did that then there's only one team between us and the league. Highly unlikely that we could do it from so far behind but worth dreaming about. In real life it's best we simply concentrate on winning the next game which I'm sure is what they are thinking in the dressing room. Still a very good time to be a jambo at the moment.

Good post, and the following one. A team that keeps winning appears invulnerable so there's a huge optimistic boost in everyone's head at the moment. The depth of our pool is greater than its been for a long time though and we now have players fighting for a place in a very good side. I think we have a chance of dislodging a crumbling Celtic if their problems continue and if we did that then there's only one team between us and the league. Highly unlikely that we could do it from so far behind but worth dreaming about. In real life it's best we simply concentrate on winning the next game which I'm sure is what they are thinking in the dressing room. Still a very good time to be a jambo at the moment.

The next 3 games are the key to the whole season IMO. Get through those with 6 or 7 points ( we should actually be thinking about 9 points in this sort of form) and we're staring a very good season right in the face.

it's all about keeping the momentum going. not having it harmed by the odd daft defeat (much like the kilmarnock game) and the loss of key personnel. i don't think we'll ever see another run like the 1985/86 unbeaten run in the current era because there's far less of a gap in quality between ourselves and some of the teams. much less than there was in 85/86 when we were significantly better than everyone, including celtic.

the probability is that there will be some defeats on the horizon as we enter a run of games against the better and in-form sides. if we did manage to extend this current run through the meetings with motherwell, inverness, rangers (twice), kilmarnock, dundee united and celtic, then it truly would be a remarkable achievement. sadly i tend to think that we'll see at least a couple of reverses along the way.

on the plus side, we are very well equipped to cope with the loss of players in some areas. there's driver and suso to come into the equation in the wide areas. wallace is an absolute must to replace palazuelos when he's ready. ruben doesn't deserve to drop out but there's simply no comparison between the two... wallace is a better defender and a real threat going forward too. the loss of kyle, elliott, mrowiec or zaliukas would probably have a far worse effect.

i reckon if we can get through december and january with no more than two league defeats then that would represent just as impressive a run of results as the 7 wins out of 8 we've just seen. if we're still within six points of celtic at the end of january then we will have some kind of chance to get 2nd place.

The next 3 games are the key to the whole season IMO. Get through those with 6 or 7 points ( we should actually be thinking about 9 points in this sort of form) and we're staring a very good season right in the face.

Tuesday is turning into a MASSIVE game now. I'd take a point at this moment, given that our recent history there isn't too great, but maybe that's not the way to look at it?

Skivingatwork

As much as I like to dream of championship success, I think it will be a bridge too far this season. Rangers will win the league and probably by some distance in the end but I hold on to a faint hope that their Europa league run results in fixture pile up and a tired squad losing points on the Saturday/Sunday.

Celtic are only a couple of bad results away from implosion. The fans have given up as shown by the attendances and Lennon appears to be clueless tactically when they're not winning. Hopefully rhe players do too when they realise the league title is out of sight. What also might go in our favour is the referees not giving them the usual 'OF decisions' as a result of their recent criticism. If they are referee'd in line with the rest of us then their last minute winners through soft decisions may see us eventually catch them.

All of this, however, is based on us maintaining our tremendous run and keeping the pressure on them.

Dare I mention the B word :)

Tuesday is turning into a MASSIVE game now. I'd take a point at this moment, given that our recent history there isn't too great, but maybe that's not the way to look at it?

We're playing them bang on the right time though. If Brown was still there you'd take a point probably. I think they'll be a bit down and therefore vulnerable to a team who are right up for it. I expect us to win that game. Inverness is a biggy next week given their away record and their performance yesterday.

The game being postponed and then Brown leaving means it has worked out perfect for us. Things are just falling into place right now. I feel more confident of taking something from this game.

In 1997, when Jefferies last had a squad this competitive, he asked CPR for ?1 Million to buy two players to win the league*. CPR and Hearts could not afford it and a relationship between manager and chairman began to sour.

In 2010, if we get the results over the next three or four weeks that close the gap at the top, if Jefferies were to make a similar claim, I wonder how VR would react.

The key thing is that we could win all our remaining games & probobly still not win the league.

If Hearts win all of their remaining games, R@ng*rs would need to win all of their remaining games against everybody bar us for the league to be decided on goal difference.

The key thing is that we could win all our remaining games & probobly still not win the league.

CB, if we win all our remaining games and Rangers won all their remaining games except the one's against us then we would be equal on points with them (assuming i'm correct and we still have to play them 3 times). On this optimistic note that means any other dropped points could cost them the title. But that does need us to win every game something i'm sure we could not manage. Being optimistic I do think the OF are there to be caught lets just have a bit of confidence and DO IT!!!

In 1997, when Jefferies last had a squad this competitive, he asked CPR for ?1 Million to buy two players to win the league*. CPR and Hearts could not afford it and a relationship between manager and chairman began to sour.

In 2010, if we get the results over the next three or four weeks that close the gap at the top, if Jefferies were to make a similar claim, I wonder how VR would react.

At a guess, he'd possibly be convinced by Jefferies if the league position supported the argument, and he'd probably sack him at the end of the season if he didnt deliver.

Adding to some very good points made we still have wallace and driver to return, two excellent players. I doubt we'll win the league or even finish second but we're only a few players away from being able to challenge. The other side of the coin is the need to balance the books so it will be very tough to push on from here. We should at least claim 3rd though which would be a very good season.

scott herbertson

It's a good point BH

I found myself musing over who those players would be - an attacking mid and a right back would probably be on most people's list, but we don't have much back up for two of the critical positions (centre half and (big) centre forward) - and Kyle is bound to miss a fair few games with suspensions

Skivingatwork

I'd be tempted to punt Barr out on loan for the rest of the season and bring in a back-up CH for Zal/Bouzid.

A RB is needed IMO, but the main priority in the transfer window is holding on to what we have.

jamboolood1874

CB, if we win all our remaining games and Rangers won all their remaining games except the one's against us then we would be equal on points with them (assuming i'm correct and we still have to play them 3 times). On this optimistic note that means any other dropped points could cost them the title. But that does need us to win every game something i'm sure we could not manage. Being optimistic I do think the OF are there to be caught lets just have a bit of confidence and DO IT!!!

the bottom line is you can see the players are oozing with confidence and so are we and that must be a good thing(everything's possible nothing's impossible)onwards and upwa :whistling: rds

It's feeling more like 2008/09 except, of course, with significantly better football. The parallels are fairly remarkable, average start and then five wins in a row at about the same point.

I think this season is going to come down to strength in squads. Rankers are probably in a similar position to us in the size and quality of squads in reserve. Celtic probably (gritted teeth) have the larger squad with probably maybe more quality in reserve BUT where hearts and rankers have the edge is both teams actually have managers who know what they are doing and have the full backing of their fans. Celtic are a ticking bomb. I can feel a "TAXI FOR LENNON" being called for mid January!

J.T.F.Robertson

Winning breeds belief/confidence. (that's my scoop for the day :rolleyes:)

What matters is how we react to losing a game ..... or a goal, for that matter. :o

Still be a good 15 points plus between us and 2nd place IMO.

i think we could put in a serious challenge , but i don't think we will win the league by that much

The obvious and sensible response from Vlad would be: forget ?1 million - I give you Andrew Driver and Lee Wallace - both players who are worth well over ?1m and should be returning to fitness around the turn of the year.

CPR's main problem was that he gave too much money to JJ, not too little. That's how we ended up in such a terrible mess financially.

It's feeling more like 2008/09 except, of course, with significantly better football. The parallels are fairly remarkable, average start and then five wins in a row at about the same point.

Those wins in 2008-9 were just typical Laszlo games if I remember right (without checking). Most were one goal wins which could easily have gone the other way.

We have been destroying teams in the current run.

Victor Meldrew

Winning breeds belief/confidence. (that's my scoop for the day :rolleyes:)

What matters is how we react to losing a game ..... or a goal, for that matter. :o

In this current run of 7 wins out of 8 we reacted to a 0-3 home defeat by winning our next 5!!

You`ve got to go with the flow and that`s what happened in 1986. The players built momentum and developed a confidence that, when they ran out on the pitch, they felt unbeatable.

Just keep going until or if that time comes when you get beaten. Some great seasons can spring out of sudden confidence and good form rather than off the back of long term solidity and consistency year after year, which i hope we do find eventually though.

The team in the late 80`s, despite not winning anything, went on to prove they were a relative force in Scotland by providing consistently good seasons after 86. I hope this team finds that level but they have a way to go yet to prove that.

However, we are looking good. Looking a strong unit in every sense and i really hope this is finally the pivotal season where Hearts have found a new level and some of our players have "grown up".

I`d love to see silverware soon again and i hope we go hammer and tongs in the cup while continuing our form in the league.....then you never know?

J.T.F.Robertson

In this current run of 7 wins out of 8 we reacted to a 0-3 home defeat by winning our next 5!!

But before that Killie game, we were nothing like the team we are now, so I'm really looking at the current 5 game run as the benchmark.

The obvious and sensible response from Vlad would be: forget ?1 million - I give you Andrew Driver and Lee Wallace - both players who are worth well over ?1m and should be returning to fitness around the turn of the year.

CPR's main problem was that he gave too much money to JJ, not too little. That's how we ended up in such a terrible mess financially.

It wouldn't be a sensible response if he asked for a defender and a central midfielder though. I don't think that CPR was kept out of the loop, I am fairly certain that CPR was told who those two players were and how much they would cost.

As for the last bit, I think you have your seasons mixed up. Following the cup win, we did spend too much, at this particular time, prior to the cup win, when we were chasing for the league, we did not.

Francis Albert

I suspect JJ having been around a bit longer wouldn't be daft enough to suggest he could guarantee anything by spending #1m each on a couple of players. It would be just as likely to disrupt a successful squad.

Victor Meldrew

I reckon that we could do with a player who can cover the LB/CB positions and also some cover for Kevin Kyle.

We could probably benefit from having a different option in midfield, but at present we have a good system, and with Driver and Suso due back we probably have enough cover there, particularly as Lee Wallace's return will free up Palazuelos.

I think that the more interesting question for the transfer window is what will happen to the Rangers squad - I wouldn't be at all surprised to see them cash in on Miller or Bougherra.

Victor Meldrew

But before that Killie game, we were nothing like the team we are now, so I'm really looking at the current 5 game run as the benchmark.

Exactly: our reaction to a defeat was to improve significantly.

Adding to some very good points made we still have wallace and driver to return, two excellent players. I doubt we'll win the league or even finish second but we're only a few players away from being able to challenge. The other side of the coin is the need to balance the books so it will be very tough to push on from here. We should at least claim 3rd though which would be a very good season.

Excellent thread guys.

The run of games between now and the Scottish Cup tie is massive and will define what we can realistically achieve this season.

Motherwell away, Inverness at home, Killie away, St Midden away, wee team at home. None of them are easy games, but if we'e serious about challenging for the league we need at least 13 points from these five games. If we maintain our current form, there's no reason why we shouldn't do this. Then I'll start to dream the bigger dreams!

The bit in bold is important though. We need to balance the books and that inevitably means that the players who have got us dreaming will move onto bigger things. We're a good team, but so much of what we're achieving now is down to Temps. Bids are going to start coming in for this kid in the next window IMHO. Temps will make us alot of money which we need, but to me keeping this kid for another 18 months to 2 years is crucial if we're going to mount a challenge for honous this season or next.

I'm as delighted as anyone that we're on such a great run but our squad is not good enough unfortunately.

We would never be allowed to win the league even if we did have the squad anyway.

portobellojambo1

It is somewhat unfortunate that Rangers and Celtic clash on 2 January rather than 2 February. That game will spell the end of Celtic's league challenge, and possibly the end of Neil Lennon. If it had come at the beginning of the next month there would be no scope for a new manager to rebuild.

I'm enjoying what I'm watching just now, but I don't want to build myself up for a fall. Be delighted if we could go on to secure 2nd place (and I don't think it is beyond us), but at the moment I'm just happy to be happy after coming away from watching HMFC. Anything else would be a bonus.

Those wins in 2008-9 were just typical Laszlo games if I remember right (without checking). Most were one goal wins which could easily have gone the other way.

We have been destroying teams in the current run.

The point I was trying to make is that talk of title challenges is premature. I expect the season to end much as it did in 2008/09 - comfortable 3rd place albeit WITH SIGNIFICANTLY BETTER FOOTBALL as I said in my first post.

I'm absolutely delighted by how we are playing just now, but we really need to keep our feet firmly on the ground.

Remember that this time last season, Hibs were only 4 points of the leaders in the league, and we mocked them big time for dreaming big.

Now I know we won't head for a Hibs style meltdown, as JJ is streets ahead of Yogi in ensuring that a team won't capitulate, but I'm not dreaming of the big prize at all just now. Best thing to do is assess the situation at the end of February. If we are within 6 points of the leaders, then that's when it's time to start dreaming as the split could help us close that defecit. Anything further away and it's too tough in my opinion.

In the meantime, I'm loving the football we are playing, enjoying the good spirits around this messageboard (for a change) and genuinely look forward to the next game every week!

I'm absolutely delighted by how we are playing just now, but we really need to keep our feet firmly on the ground.

Remember that this time last season, Hibs were only 4 points of the leaders in the league, and we mocked them big time for dreaming big.

Now I know we won't head for a Hibs style meltdown, as JJ is streets ahead of Yogi in ensuring that a team won't capitulate, but I'm not dreaming of the big prize at all just now. Best thing to do is assess the situation at the end of February. If we are within 6 points of the leaders, then that's when it's time to start dreaming as the split could help us close that defecit. Anything further away and it's too tough in my opinion.

In the meantime, I'm loving the football we are playing, enjoying the good spirits around this messageboard (for a change) and genuinely look forward to the next game every week!

Difference is mate, we have a history to back up any seemingly fanciful dreams...Hibs don`t, certainly not in the last 30 odd years anyway.

I`m not afraid to say this, but when we generally get a foothold in the top 3 , we normally hold on to it. Other sides outside the OF don`t have the same staying power which we have proven time and again over the years when we`ve been in the top 3.

Long way to go this season yet and i won`t be genuinely assured until i know we are solidly up there with maybe 10 games or so to to go. But we can be proud its a standard Hearts have set and our recent record over the last decade or so can`t be matched by non OF teams.

Difference is mate, we have a history to back up any seemingly fanciful dreams...Hibs don`t, certainly not in the last 30 odd years anyway.

I`m not afraid to say this, but when we generally get a foothold in the top 3 , we normally hold on to it. Other sides outside the OF don`t have the same staying power which we have proven time and again over the years when we`ve been in the top 3.

Long way to go this season yet and i won`t be genuinely assured until i know we are solidly up there with maybe 10 games or so to to go. But we can be proud its a standard Hearts have set and our recent record over the last decade or so can`t be matched by non OF teams.

Definately the point I was making. But I agree with the rest of what you say. I'm happy just now to keep taking the games as they come and see where we are sitting in a couple of months time.

Victor Meldrew

That's absolutely right. The thing about Hibs is that they always seem to have a worse second half of the season - it doesn't seem to matter who the manager is, they come flying out of the blocks and then start doing badly from about December.

I agree with you - there is a definite feel about this run. A re-run of 85-86 is not out of the question (hopefully with the right outcome this time) but I would acknowledge it would take all the cards to fall in our favour. As others have said, Celtic are in self-inflicted turmoil, Rangers are broke. We will have played all our pre-split games against the OF by 26/01/11. We are the form team at the moment and playing them before any new players get fully integrated in their squad might work to our advantage. We have the creativity from Temps and Rudi and with Suso, Wallace and Driver all due to return we carry a threat from everywhere. With Kyle and two Ts up front we have a strke partnership that resembles that of Clark and Robbo. When you look at the bench as well it looks better than anything the OF can muster. But most of all JJ has been here before and he will keep the squad spirit postive. It's still a long shot but never rule it out. One day soon some team outside the OF will prevail - why not the JTs?

OK, it's foolhardy, wildly optimistic, and setting up for a huge fall. But a team predicted before the season to maybe struggle in mid-table, after 6 or 8 games looking more like relegation candidates, then going off on a run with steadily building confidence and team spirit. And, adjusting for 3 points for a win, now 4 points ahead of where we were at the same stage back then.

The Old Tolbooth

Whilst I love the optimism shown by you guys on this thread, I simply refuse to believe anything like this and get carried away because I'm so used to being disappointed in the past, it's part of what makes us Hearts fans, we show so much potential at times yet fall short because we don't have the resources to sustain things.

If it happens though it could well be the death of me as my liver could just collapse, what a way to go though! :D

We will have played all our pre-split games against the OF by 26/01/11.

Thats a fact I wasnt aware of and it could be a key one. After that we'll have 9 games till the split, 5 of them at home, including 4 out of the last 5 in Edinburgh and not a weej in sight.

I think we'll have to win one of our upcoming games in Glasgow to have real belief running through the squad, much like it did when we beat Rangers 2-0 around Xmas time of the 85/86 season. If we can do that, then in the words of the great Henry Smith at the time. "Hey lads, THIS IS ON !!!!!! "

If we are going to do something special this season its really important we dont lose any ground from here on until we play them.

Caution. Lets get the next 3 games out of the way with little or no damage before discussing again.

If we win on Tuesday then I might feel a little more comfortable looking up the table and not at those lurking behind us, but not until then. We are playing some really nice football at times but one or two injuries and we could find ourselves losing a little of this consistency that we're putting together.

That's not to say I'm not at least considering the notion that we might do something special this season - I tend to think that every year anyway.

Archived