Europe and the whole Coefficients thing

Statto

It doesn't change this season, it will still be;

SPL Champions qualify for the Champions League

2nd, 3rd and the SC Winners will enter the Europa League,

but for next season, as it currently stands, Scotland hold the final position in the UEFA Country rankings for two Champions League places plus the three Europa League for the following season (2012/13) - just.

As predicted, it is likely to be between ourselves and Switzerland as to who receives five European places.

We have 24.541 against the Swiss on 24.300.

Scotland have one team left in European competition this season, Rangers, Switzerland have two plus two more games to play in the Europa League group stages.

Grp. F

Lausanne-Sport (Sui) v Palermo (Ita) (both teams are out)

Grp. H

Getafe (Spa) v BSC Young Boys (Sui) (Getafe out, YB qualified)

Europa League last 32;

Rangers (Sco)

Basel (Sui)

Young Boys (Sui)

How the points work;

Each country gets points based on how well their clubs do in Europe.

Clubs receive 2 points for a win, 1 for a draw and various bonus points.

Each country receives a percentage of these points, based on how many clubs from their association participated in Europe that season.

Both Scotland and Switzerland had five, meaning both associations receive 1/5th (20%) of the points - 0.400 points for a win and 0.200 points for a draw.

Switzerland can draw one game but after that, we need to match any results that all of the Swiss teams get. Scotland only has two guaranteed games against Switzerland's SIX.

If we are going to be seriously challenging for 1st/2nd next season, it would be in our best interests for Rangers to do well in Europe this season.

I'll check later regarding seeding and how it stands for all three clubs but obviously a seeded draw for the Scottish side would be preferable.

*There is no seeding for this draw, Group winner plus the four best CL 3rd placed finishers will face the Group runners-up plus the four worst 3rd placed finishers.

All three will be in the 2nd pot.

The last EL Group games are split over this Wednesday and Thursday, we will have a better idea after that. I believe the draw will be on Friday morning.

It doesn't change this season, it will still be;

SPL Champions qualify for the Champions League

2nd, 3rd and the SC Winners will enter the Europa League,

but for next season, as it currently stands, Scotland hold the final position in the UEFA Country rankings for two Champions League places plus the three Europa League for the following season (2012/13) - just.

As predicted, it is likely to be between ourselves and Switzerland as to who receives five European places.

We have 24.541 against the Swiss on 24.300.

Scotland have one team left in European competition this season, Rangers, Switzerland have two plus two more games to play in the Europa League group stages.

Grp. F

Lausanne-Sport (Sui) v Palermo (Ita) (both teams are out)

Grp. H

Getafe (Spa) v BSC Young Boys (Sui) (Getafe out, YB qualified)

Europa League last 32;

Rangers (Sco)

Basel (Sui)

Young Boys (Sui)

How the points work;

Each country gets points based on how well their clubs do in Europe.

Clubs receive 2 points for a win, 1 for a draw and various bonus points.

Each country receives a percentage of these points, based on how many clubs from their association participated in Europe that season.

Both Scotland and Switzerland had five, meaning both associations receive 1/5th (20%) of the points - 0.400 points for a win and 0.200 points for a draw.

Switzerland can draw one game but after that, we need to match any results that all of the Swiss teams get. Scotland only has two guaranteed games against Switzerland's SIX.

If we are going to be seriously challenging for 1st/2nd next season, it would be in our best interests for Rangers to do well in Europe this season.

I'll check later regarding seeding and how it stands for all three clubs but obviously a seeded draw for the Scottish side would be preferable.

The last EL Group games are split over this Wednesday and Thursday, we will have a better idea after that. I believe the draw will be on Friday morning.

Looking in the other direction, do you have an idea of the likelihood of the SPL Champions only going into the EL within the next couple of seasons?

Looking in the other direction, do you have an idea of the likelihood of the SPL Champions only going into the EL within the next couple of seasons?

Never.

All associations* will always receive at least one Champions League place, although which qualification round teams enter is based on how high/low they are in the UEFA Country Ranking.

*except Liechtenstein who don't have a national league competition, only a cup competition, the winner of this enters the Europa League.

Never.

All associations* will always receive at least one Champions League place, although which qualification round teams enter is based on how high/low they are in the UEFA Country Ranking.

*except Liechtenstein who don't have a national league competition, only a cup competition, the winner of this enters the Europa League.

Cheers. Rantic missing out on the CL group stages totally for a number of years could only be a good thing for the rest of us in terms of trying to get closer to them.

Awesome statto! Cant wait for your breakdown on what we need to happen in the Europa quals. in the summer!!!

Palermo scored a late winner against Lausanne last night for a 1-0 win - good news!

Getafe v Young Boys tonight, hopefully YB will send out a weakened team, they have already qualified and cannot improve which pot they enter, they will be in pot 2. Getafe are out.

Francis Albert

Great work on the stats. But possible improvement in the coefficient is not good news. It benefits the OF and is detrimental to the competitiveness of the game in Scotland. The loss of an automatic CL place is the best thing to happen for the domestic game in recent years.

Footballfirst

Time for this to be a STICKY

Not really necessary for this thread. That coefficients being referred to affect Scotland's European participation the season after next, i.e.2012-2013.

The number of teams we have in Europe next season (2011/12) have already been decided.

The SPL champions to the CL qualifying

The Cup Winnners and League 2nd and 3rd to the Europa League qualifying

The coefficients we are interested in for next season are those for Hearts themselves and their subsequent seeding in the EL (or CL :teehee: ).

Great work on the stats. But possible improvement in the coefficient is not good news. It benefits the OF and is detrimental to the competitiveness of the game in Scotland. The loss of an automatic CL place is the best thing to happen for the domestic game in recent years.

Only if its the OF that occupy the top two places... could be us!

Francis Albert

Only if its the OF that occupy the top two places... could be us!

The lack of two CL places helps to restrict spending by both halves of the OF since neither can assume a CL place.

This should help clubs like Hearts to make a challenge. The possibility of a more competitive domestic game outweighs the possibilty of Hearts getting an occasional pot at CL qualifyiing rounds (which in any event we can still get by finishing first of course!.

The lack of two CL places helps to restrict spending by both halves of the OF since neither can assume a CL place.

This should help clubs like Hearts to make a challenge. The possibility of a more competitive domestic game outweighs the possibilty of Hearts getting an occasional pot at CL qualifyiing rounds (which in any event we can still get by finishing first of course!.

I do agree and its the reason i have never supported the OF in Europe. However, there is a chance that with the gap between them and us decreasing that it could end up affecting us in the long run. Wouldn't it be nice though to have Europa League next season (through a second place finish) and then a chance at Champs League for finishing second the following.

And yes i know obviously if we can get 2nd then why not 1st but im just trying to show how all these Rangers/Swiss games could positively affect us.

Francis Albert

I do agree and its the reason i have never supported the OF in Europe. However, there is a chance that with the gap between them and us decreasing that it could end up affecting us in the long run. Wouldn't it be nice though to have Europa League next season (through a second place finish) and then a chance at Champs League for finishing second the following.And yes i know obviously if we can get 2nd then why not 1st but im just trying to show how all these Rangers/Swiss games could positively affect us.

Of course it would be nice, but if there are two CL places available that will greatly reduce any chance of finishing second (or first) because Celtic and, with a new owner, Rangers will spend more knowing that it will guarantee them a CL qualifying place and at least a chance of CL group stage riches. With just one CL place spending is a much bigger gamble for them both.

Not really necessary for this thread. That coefficients being referred to affect Scotland's European participation the season after next, i.e.2012-2013.

The number of teams we have in Europe next season (2011/12) have already been decided.

The SPL champions to the CL qualifying

The Cup Winnners and League 2nd and 3rd to the Europa League qualifying

The coefficients we are interested in for next season are those for Hearts themselves and their subsequent seeding in the EL (or CL :teehee: ).

Surely we don't have much chance of being seeded given we missed out last year and then lost our qualifier. Is there anything else that can effect it?

FA - Yeah i see your point and you're right. I guess it's just a wait and see as it depends how much of a mess Lennon has got Celtic into and how much more progres JJ makes with the squad.

Getafe won 1-0 last night, Scotland still holds the 0.241 advantage.

The draw for the Europa League last-32 is this afternoon, hopefully it's a favourable draw for our side.

CavySlaveJambo

Three relevant round of 32 ties

Rangers v Sporting Lisbon

Young Boys v Zenit St Petersburg

Basle v Spartak Moscow

I hate myself for this but come on the Rangers... clutter up your fixtures and go deeper than the Swiss please. Our Co-ef is going to take a hammering when Hearts get AEK'd in next years Champions Cup

Archived