Do you like going to away matches?

Plat_du_Jour

Hi,

I hope I have posted this in the right area, but I am keen to ask about the experiences of fans travelling to away games.

As part of my university work, I am currently working with the SPL to do some research about fans attending away games. As part of this, I am keen to get the perspective of a broad range of fans from all the clubs across the league. If you would like to take the opportunity to fill out an anonymous survey, taking just a few minutes, then you can help the SPL improve the experience of being an away fan.

Please copy the following link into your browser: http://tinyurl.com/35l34rc

Thank you very much for taking the time.

Done for you. Although I think you missed what is my biggest problem with some away games which was Hearts fans, not the opposition fans. I also felt you were leading with your policing and stewarding questions. When you asked us to rate them, it turns out in the end you mean about thei heavy handedness towards away spectators. My problem with them is their 'doing nothingness' about anything.

Done for you. Although I think you missed what is my biggest problem with some away games which was Hearts fans, not the opposition fans. I also felt you were leading with your policing and stewarding questions. When you asked us to rate them, it turns out in the end you mean about thei heavy handedness towards away spectators. My problem with them is their 'doing nothingness' about anything.

Maroonshrew, those are really good points but satisfaction with policing and stewarding is not related to the final statement of heavy handedness. What sort of problems do you encounter with the other Hearts fans?

It's difficult to see how your answers are going to be construed. For example, I quite like the fact away games can be intimidating, that opposition fans abuse you, etc. I don't really want that to be taken as a negative aspect.

Better value for money, alcohol at half-time and better (read: fairer) policing and we'll be onto something.

Thanks to all those who have filled in the survey! There has been a great response from this forum, but I am keen for more Hearts fans to ensure some balance across the SPL - so get friends/family involved! :)

Hi,

I hope I have posted this in the right area, but I am keen to ask about the experiences of fans travelling to away games.

As part of my university work, I am currently working with the SPL to do some research about fans attending away games. As part of this, I am keen to get the perspective of a broad range of fans from all the clubs across the league. If you would like to take the opportunity to fill out an anonymous survey, taking just a few minutes, then you can help the SPL improve the experience of being an away fan.

Please copy the following link into your browser: http://tinyurl.com/35l34rc

Filled it in for you.

Don't like your questions though. Much like Neave, I felt that some of your questions gained the wrong answer from me. Also, question 26 has the question worded so specifically that I have had to disagree where I may have agreed with a slight amendment to your question. For example, Policing/Stewarding in away sections is often heavy-handed. This is not true, however had you said Policing/Stewarding in away sections can be heavy-handed. I'd have agreed. Also, bad language and favouring the home team is to be expected. I would not mark down an away trip on that basis. I'd be bloody pissed off if Hearts didn't favour Hearts fans and as such don't expect to be treated equally at other grounds.

Filled it in for you.

Don't like your questions though. Much like Neave, I felt that some of your questions gained the wrong answer from me. Also, question 26 has the question worded so specifically that I have had to disagree where I may have agreed with a slight amendment to your question. For example, Policing/Stewarding in away sections is often heavy-handed. This is not true, however had you said Policing/Stewarding in away sections can be heavy-handed. I'd have agreed. Also, bad language and favouring the home team is to be expected. I would not mark down an away trip on that basis. I'd be bloody pissed off if Hearts didn't favour Hearts fans and as such don't expect to be treated equally at other grounds.

Thanks for that feedback mate, that is useful to know, I will keep that in mind when it comes to the analysis.

Thanks guys for the big response to the survey on this forum, I am keen to get more Hearts fans so that there is a good balance with the other SPL teams - so get your friends/family involved too! Cheers :)

Maroonshrew, those are really good points but satisfaction with policing and stewarding is not related to the final statement of heavy handedness. What sort of problems do you encounter with the other Hearts fans?

#While the Hearts away fans are very vociferous and create a great atmosphere, there is a faction which favours the display of Union flags and the singing of songs.Many Hearts fans find this behaviour inflamatory, sectarian and not a little embarrassing.

Many Old Firm fans I know say the same about their own away supports.

Cheers guys, I have now had more Hearts responses than any other club - keep it up and you have totally out-done both the old firm! :)

AlphonseCapone

Done. And also echo the other points about intimidating away grounds being a good thing and favouring the home team to be expected.

The Treasurer

Not done the survey but to summarise :

If we win - yes

If we lose - no

If we're playing the OF in the Weeg - no, because of the way we get treated (by both fans and authorities)

Hope this helps smile.gif

Not done the survey but to summarise :

If we win - yes

If we lose - no

If we're playing the OF in the Weeg - no, because of the way we get treated (by both fans and authorities)

Hope this helps smile.gif

Sorry I haven't posted in a few days - I have been pretty ill!

Thanks for the whole range of responses guys, please feel free to post any of your particular experiences as I will be noting down all the themes that people bring up! But Treasurer, please take a few minutes to fill out the survey to record your opinions there too! :)

There has been a massive response to the survey, but I am keen for as many Hearts supporters as possible to represent the club properly, so please pass on the survey to anyone else who might be interested! :)

Miller Jambo 60

#While the Hearts away fans are very vociferous and create a great atmosphere, there is a faction which favours the display of Union flags and the singing of songs.Many Hearts fans find this behaviour inflamatory, sectarian and not a little embarrassing.

Just Ask the clowns at Dkheid where the police were made, i would love to know

Cheers guys! There has been a great response, so thanks to you all! Please pass it on to anyone else who may be interested too! Cheers :)

john brownlee

Cheers guys, I have now had more Hearts responses than any other club - keep it up and you have totally out-done both the old firm! :)

OK but I answered all your questions but IMOP you have only asked what everybody already knows, its really a waste of time, ask why we don't go to games that involve the squirm. home or away make a study why they are the old firm and why everybody in scotland, meedia want the status Que. in time this will change with the new eufa

rules

I done my uni juoro piece on Dave mackay and ginger toss got top marks;. hope you do the same maybe be a good idea to change while your a head keep it simple to much info can destroy a good idea /project

OK but I answered all your questions but IMOP you have only asked what everybody already knows, its really a waste of time, ask why we don't go to games that involve the squirm. home or away make a study why they are the old firm and why everybody in scotland, meedia want the status Que. in time this will change with the new eufa

rules

I done my uni juoro piece on Dave mackay and ginger toss got top marks;. hope you do the same maybe be a good idea to change while your a head keep it simple to much info can destroy a good idea /project

Thanks mate, the survey is really an opportunity to see how prevalent certain opinions and perceptions are - it is also constructed in such a way to make it relatively easy to process a large number of respondents.

Done.

I agree it's a disgrace the way were treated through in weegie land, it's as if you've committed a crime if you stand during the game, i'll never understand why standing at a football match isn't allowed for 'safety reasons'..

Done.

I agree it's a disgrace the way were treated through in weegie land, it's as if you've committed a crime if you stand during the game, i'll never understand why standing at a football match isn't allowed for 'safety reasons'..

Cheers mate, this is definitely one of the themes that a lot of people are bringing up! :)

Thanks to those who have takent he survey but there is still time to make sure as many Hearts fans get involved as possible! Please pass it to anyone else who may be interested too! :)

Please go to the following link: http://tinyurl.com/35l34rc

• 2 weeks later...
Plat_du_Jour

Happy new year everybody! I hope you all had a good time over Christmas and thanks very much to everyone for their feedback to the survey.

The survey will continue to run until 12noon on Monday the 10th of January, so there is still time to encourage other fans of your club to get involved.

The survey can be accessed at the following link: http://tinyurl.com/35l34rc

Cheers :)

dear dear why could you not just fill in the survey instead of another tedious dig?

wheatfield to sheffield

What sort of problems do you encounter with the other Hearts fans?

Bigotry. Offensive flags and songs that wouldn't or shouldn't get in to Tynecastle (or indeed any ground)

jambojim1986

I love away days. I think away days are often better than home games due to the atmosphere generated in the hearts end. Biggest issue I have is the shockingly bad home support at most other SPL grounds, can't say I've ever had an issue with any fellow jambos on the road. Quite the opposite. One time my bus left me behind in killie and portobello hearts let me ride sitting on the floor back to edin as all the buses were full. Jambos are an amazing breed.

Plat_du_Jour

Thanks very much to everyone for taking the survey so far, there is less than 24 hours left to get involved - so please pass the survey on to anyone else who may be interested ahead of 12noon tomorrow! Cheers! :)

Archived