Bud Johnston

Coco

Picked up Peter Marinello's autobiography last night and it mentioned that his place at Hearts was basically taken by Willie Johnston.

This would have been just about the time I started watching Hearts, and I remember Willie as a player with a wonderful left foot and a great crosser of the ball. But I also remember him getting sent off regularly - did he have a bit of a temper on him?

He played at a pretty good level for a long time - with Rangers when they won a European trophy, the nonsense at the World Cup etc. Anyone have any stories about him?

Had a wee chuckle to myself when Marinello mentioned something about hibs playing with flair.

Flair! Even back then. :P

Auldreekie1874
Sent off 19 times I think - a record?

I remember him pulling a moonie at the corner shed one day.

Runs a boozer in Kirkcaldy I think.

The first moonie was when he was wearing a Rangers shirt and the Shed went mental.

Next season i think he turned up at Hearts and when he was taking a corner at the shed end we all started chanting Willie show us your Ar*e willie willie etc.

He did and was promptly booked, when the ref turned to walk away Bud turned round and done it again :rofl:

Then there was the time he came on a sub and scored THAT free kick against Celtic to send us to Paris in 84, he came on and was booked within 5 seconds for something that he said to the ref, his next involvement was the freekick. great player for Hearts :rock2:

Was on a Stadium tour once and Bud was doing sprinting training at the side of the pitch and his tadger popped out, quite funny and it was a bit of a chap.

Charlie-Brown

The long running fued between Rangers & Aberdeen really began in the early days of Fergie's reign at Pittodrie when his Dons teams went to Glasgow & gave the Old Firm at taste of their own medicine in their own backyard - anyway in one particularly ill-tempered match Willie 'Bud' Johnston ran across / stamped on John McMaster's throat as he lay on the ground - there was a furore in the papers about it for weeks - calling for Johnston to be suspended indefinitely.

Picked up Peter Marinello's autobiography last night and it mentioned that his place at Hearts was basically taken by Willie Johnston.

This would have been just about the time I started watching Hearts, and I remember Willie as a player with a wonderful left foot and a great crosser of the ball. But I also remember him getting sent off regularly - did he have a bit of a temper on him?

He played at a pretty good level for a long time - with Rangers when they won a European trophy, the nonsense at the World Cup etc. Anyone have any stories about him?

I remember seeing him towards the end of his playing days for Hearts at Love St.

I was with my Dad and my son in the enclosure below the Main Stand (if you can call it that) and Bud was on the bench.

Alex MacDonald told him to get warmed up ready to go on and he was getting pelters from some of the St Midden fans as he stretched on the track.

True to form he dropped his shorts and bent over right in front of one of the loudmouths and the whole enclosure erupted in laughter.

Allegedly after the Argentina hay fever drugs fiasco he was met by the waiting press pack and his then manager at WBA Ron Atkinson who took throught the flashing cameras telling him "Don't worry bud we signed a sponsorship deal with....BOOTS!!":)

Moe Szyslak
Runs a boozer in Kirkcaldy I think.

Port Brae at the east end of the High Street, the wife's old man's local.

Willie and his son (who manages the pub) are both sound. The fact that they named their Sunday league team Port Brae Hearts tells you how much Bud enjoyed his time at Tynie.

willie%20Johnston.jpg

That's him reacting to a red card for feigning a Glasgow kiss towards Davie Provan, when taking a throw-in at Darkheid.

Provan went down like a sack of tatties.

No contact by miles.

Red card.

Jimmy McNulty

Will always despise Provan for getting Bud sent off that day.

Three minutes after Shields was carried off with a bust leg :(

Will always despise Provan for getting Bud sent off that day.

Three minutes after Shields was carried off with a bust leg :(

Correct.

Bud was the Miko of the day ... reputation went before him, had his crazy days, bags of skill, didn't deserve a lot of what he got.

Mind you, the "junkie, junkie" chants were quite funny ...

Archived