Speed Cameras...ADVICE!!!

lewis2006

Sheriff Fatman
Fair enough at Roseburn, and on St J's Road, but it should be a 40MPH zone on the Zoo part, end of.

Yeah it should be a 40 mile an hour zone in an area where there is an a zooilogical park that attracts thousands of children every week.

How arrogant can you be? Your ignorance is also astounding. Basically you're automatically assuming that, because he's sped along a road, and is 22, he's driving a 'Saxo or Corsa' and is a ned.

Unbelievable.

For the record, i'm 19 and i drive a Citroen Saxo VTR aswell, i have no points on my license and generally drive well. I have a standard exhaust and i drive at more than 30 MPH on the Zoo road, because it's an absolute farce that it's a 30MPH zone if you ask me, considering Glasgow Road's a 40. Fair enough at Roseburn, and on St J's Road, but it should be a 40MPH zone on the Zoo part, end of.

I know what you're saying about it being the same road but I think you have to take the surroundings into consideration. Maybe the council / police (don't know who has the final say on limits in town) decided to lower it from 40 to 30 as with the Zoo being there then there is more than likely going to be a higher percentage of children around that area, in the same way roads outside schools are 20 and not 30 like the are 50 yards up the street.

It must just be me then, but I do tend to find Doug's much vaunted hilarious contributions about as funny as catching a dose of syphilis.

Normally I'd agree, but I thought that one was funny.

Wrong place, wrong time mate.

Easy to tell you're a copper mate.

I think he has made it open that he is.

Point is speed kills. I was the worlds worst when I was younger. But I was never caught and now slow down in built up areas especially.

When I was a younger I used to wonder why my insurance premium was so high compared to older drivers. Young male drivers are dangerous, statistics will prove this hence the high insurance premium.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_z8Mnf22D30&feature=related

How arrogant can you be? Your ignorance is also astounding. Basically you're automatically assuming that, because he's sped along a road, and is 22, he's driving a 'Saxo or Corsa' and is a ned.

Unbelievable.

For the record, i'm 19 and i drive a Citroen Saxo VTR aswell, i have no points on my license and generally drive well. I have a standard exhaust and i drive at more than 30 MPH on the Zoo road, because it's an absolute farce that it's a 30MPH zone if you ask me, considering Glasgow Road's a 40. Fair enough at Roseburn, and on St J's Road, but it should be a 40MPH zone on the Zoo part, end of.

I think that you describing somebody as arrogant is naive when you went on to boast that you speed in a 30mph zone.

Your attitude to speeding is immature and perhaps when you are looking at the child bouncing off your bonnet you may think that yourself.

Although I have the feeling you will defend yourself to the hilt in that "I am a careful driver etc etc".

It does not matter if you have a Ferrari or Fiat, speed kills.

Yeah it should be a 40 mile an hour zone in an area where there is an a zooilogical park that attracts thousands of children every week.

Should it not be a 30 on Glasgow Road as well then seeing as hundreds of schoolkids get on and off buses every day there to go to Craigy?

No?

For the record it should be a 40 at the zoo part and Glasgow Road

so there

For the record it should be a 40 at the zoo part and Glasgow Road

so there

Na Na Na Na Na. How old are you, about 18 I would guess.

davemclaren

I've had two speeding tickets.

One for doing 93 on the A74(M) in Dumfries and Galloway ( fair cop ) and one for doing 81 on the M6 ( bit harsh but that's life ). However, speeding in a built up area imo is far more dangerous and nowadays I do stick to the limits there.

I agree that, as drink driving was seen as funny and almost tolerated in the 70s, speeding will become the next no-no.

CompleteIdiot
One day speeding will have the same stigma attached to it as drink driving now does. And quite rightly too!

In town there is no excuse.

Hardly. How much over the limit speeding are we talking here? You sound a tad anal.

Say the speeding van sits on a road and does people for doing 38mph on a road that would be a 40mph limit in reality. Is that like a driver being drunk as a Lord?

There's no excuse for being ultra-PC.

Think for yourself.

CompleteIdiot
Na Na Na Na Na. How old are you, about 18 I would guess.

Why not?

Someone think of the children!

Queensferry Road is a 40 limit and it has The Royal High School backing right onto it. Kids from Clerrie get knocked over all the time. Is the 40 limit more justifiable there or what?

CompleteIdiot
I think he has made it open that he is.

Point is speed kills. I was the worlds worst when I was younger. But I was never caught and now slow down in built up areas especially.

When I was a younger I used to wonder why my insurance premium was so high compared to older drivers. Young male drivers are dangerous, statistics will prove this hence the high insurance premium.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_z8Mnf22D30&feature=related

Statistically, speed only makes accidents worse. It isn't the major cause of accidents.

You're using the hammed excuse that it's okay to slash traffic police numbers and replace traffic cops with Gatsos and mobile cameras. It isn't.

The standard of driving these days is abysmal. As long as you observe the speed limit, you can do what you want. No one is there to police it.

This is what is wrong with law enforcement. The Police harass the law abiding majority as a revenue stream and let the penniless neds bring disorder to the masses. They can't pay fines so they don't matter. So the police get down on the people that can pay.

Sheriff Fatman
Should it not be a 30 on Glasgow Road as well then seeing as hundreds of schoolkids get on and off buses every day there to go to Craigy?

Yes it should be 30 if there are school kids using it regularly.

so there

:mw_tease::mw_tease::mw_tease:

Oh, how I miss the old primary school arguements.

Sheriff Fatman
The Police harass the law abiding majority as a revenue stream

They are not harassing a law abiding majority if they are fining people who are breaking the speed limit. They are rightly going after a section of society who think they are above the law and speed limits don't apply to them.

Next we will be hearing about the 'silent majority' who are actually neither very quiet or anything close to being a majority.

It doesn't matter if they are done in an area with few accidents, they are still breaking the law and deserve everything they get.

I think that you describing somebody as arrogant is naive when you went on to boast that you speed in a 30mph zone.

Your attitude to speeding is immature and perhaps when you are looking at the child bouncing off your bonnet you may think that yourself.

Although I have the feeling you will defend yourself to the hilt in that "I am a careful driver etc etc".

It does not matter if you have a Ferrari or Fiat, speed kills.

Get off your high-horse. No one cares.

I wasn't 'boasting' about anything, and i think that's clear for all to see. I could estimate that 60% of drivers passing the Zoo are breaking the 30ph speed-limit. Drive along there yourself, you'll see.

For those claiming that 30's perfect, because of schoolchildren etc. The Glasgow Road has hundreds of schoolchildren crossing every single weekday. Hundreds. There's crossings on the road, as there is at the Zoo. It's an almost identical set-up of the road aswell.

I'm not going to lie, i go around 40mph on that stretch of road, like the majority of the road users on that stretch at any given time. I then slow down at the Speed Camera, before breaking the limit again until i get to Roseburn, where obviously it'd be dangerous to do so.

Everyone speeds at one time or another, get over it. It's the usual Kickback self-importance, arrogance, ignorance and complete double-standards, i'm afraid.

I could estimate that 60% of drivers passing the Zoo are breaking the 30ph speed-limit.

It doesn't make it right.

Speeding in a built up area is unacceptable, even more so at the zoo where there are loads of kids milling about.

And before you accuse me of being a boring, cardigan and driver glove wearing grandad, just let me know if you want to race my S2000 or Ducati 998. Out of town of course.....

Now, get a grip and slow down in built up areas. It's not big or clever.

There is no need for speeding in town. By all means put the foot down when out of town, but there isnt even anything to gain by it in town, you will just have to screech to a stop at the next lights anyway.

Having said that, they need to do more about poor drivers rather than speeding. (hypocritically) I ususally toddle along the portobello road at about 35 when its not around school end hours, and have never once come close to causing an accident, but the amount of times idiots don't indicate or go in the wrong lane then cut about the kings road roundabout is rediculous, they are the ones who cause crashes yet there is nothing done to cut down on people driving like that.

Doctor FinnBarr

My brother (ex-plod) gave me this advice, if you think you,ve triggered a camera do not answer the door to the postie for the next week, he,ll put a little card through telling you to pick up a registered package within 7 days or it,ll be returned to sender. Let it be returned because it won,t be sent back out, too much hassle for them! I,ve used this advice twice since 2000 and twice the package has not been redelivered.:107years:

It doesn't make it right.

Speeding in a built up area is unacceptable, even more so at the zoo where there are loads of kids milling about.

And before you accuse me of being a boring, cardigan and driver glove wearing grandad, just let me know if you want to race my S2000 or Ducati 998. Out of town of course.....

Now, get a grip and slow down in built up areas. It's not big or clever.

Who cares what cars you've got? :laugh:

Although, i appreciate you've probably been dying to throw that one in all thread.

you've probably been dying to throw that one in all thread.

Correct. :)

davemclaren

If you want to speed go to Germany. I was doing 130mph there last year on the autobahn. I could have gone a bit faster but that was as fast as I was comfortable with. :cool:

If you want to speed go to Germany. I was doing 130mph there last year on the autobahn. I could have gone a bit faster but that was as fast as I was comfortable with. :cool:

Does your Lamborghini not look a bit out of place in Bonnyrigg?

LizzyHearts2

I drove to Aberdeen and back yesterday and was sick of the number of times I had to slam on the anchors approaching a camera on that A90. I could quite easily have lost my license in one journey!

U should try driving on the A77 all the way to Ayr and beyond! They have multiple mobile average speed cameras set up every few hundred yards right the way along that whole route!!!

davemclaren
Does your Lamborghini not look a bit out of place in Bonnyrigg?

I recall it as 130 but maybe it was 120. I was kinda busy looking at the road at the time and the Mrs doesn't sleep for that long anyway. It's a BMW, so is used to those roads.... :cool_shades:

You obviously haven't learned your lesson. Hope you get caught, lose your licence, ignore that probably, get caught driving whilst disqualified a couple of time and then jailed where you can't hurt anybody. Or haven't you read the papers this week about the 3 numpties jailed for causing deaths while speeding about.

Your an absolute pleb.

I originally posted this to gain advice and have had nothing but idiots like you being wide and acting with the typical kickback "hollier than you" attitude!

As I have said once before on this thread if I was after a lecture I would have asked my maw.

Folk like you sit on this bloody site 24/7 looking for posts and ways to act like a g i m p.

Now away find some friends before I run you over in my nova

Unbelievable.

FWIW I work offshore as an instrument tech and drive a Merc due to my tidy income.

davemclaren
Your an absolute pleb.

I originally posted this to gain advice and have had nothing but idiots like you being wide and acting with the typical kickback "hollier than you" attitude!

As I have said once before on this thread if I was after a lecture I would have asked my maw.

Folk like you sit on this bloody site 24/7 looking for posts and ways to act like a g i m p.

I'm afraid if you don't want a wide ranging discussion of the issues around your original post, an internet message board is not the place for it. What did your mum actually say by the way? :whistling:

I'm afraid if you don't want a wide ranging discussion of the issues around your original post, an internet message board is not the place for it. What did your mum actually say by the way? :whistling:

I wasn't after a "wide ranging discussion" tho mate...a simple "yes yer screwed" or "naw you should be alright" answer was all I was after.

My maw grounded me after reading this thread BTW ;)

davemclaren
I wasn't after a "wide ranging discussion" tho mate...a simple "yes yer screwed" or "naw you should be alright" answer was all I was after.

My maw grounded me after reading this thread BTW ;)

Quite right too!! ;)

Sheriff Fatman
Your an absolute pleb.

Tough. If you want advice, sell your car. You should lose your licence and you should get fined.

Now away and play with your scalectrix set, ya boy racer. It's about the only cars you should be trusted with.

My brother (ex-plod) gave me this advice, if you think you,ve triggered a camera do not answer the door to the postie for the next week, he,ll put a little card through telling you to pick up a registered package within 7 days or it,ll be returned to sender. Let it be returned because it won,t be sent back out, too much hassle for them! I,ve used this advice twice since 2000 and twice the package has not been redelivered.:107years:

They have 14 days to send you the Notice Of Intended Prosecution from the date you triggered the camera and it's just sent out normal post, not special delivery, so you can sit and ignore the postire as long as you want, it'll still come through your letterbox :mw_rolleyes:

I wasn't 'boasting' about anything, and i think that's clear for all to see. I could estimate that 60% of drivers passing the Zoo are breaking the 30ph speed-limit. Drive along there yourself, you'll see.

I'm not going to lie, i go around 40mph on that stretch of road, like the majority of the road users on that stretch at any given time. I then slow down at the Speed Camera, before breaking the limit again until i get to Roseburn, where obviously it'd be dangerous to do so.

So what you are actually saying is that you will decide when and where it is safe to exceed the speed limit. Remember the speed limit is not set by the police but by the highways department and road engineers. They base this on many factors such as the contour, the weight of traffic, pedestrians and statistics from previous accidents.

I pay ?250 a year car insurance for a 3 series BMW, what do you pay. If it is more than me, give me your thoughts on why.

Your an absolute pleb.

The last line of my post obviously meant nothing to you. Speed freaks, such as yourself, only learn the hard way after you've killed someone or at least lost your licence. Hope it's not my kids that you plough into and murder.

CompleteIdiot
They are not harassing a law abiding majority if they are fining people who are breaking the speed limit. They are rightly going after a section of society who think they are above the law and speed limits don't apply to them.

Next we will be hearing about the 'silent majority' who are actually neither very quiet or anything close to being a majority.

It doesn't matter if they are done in an area with few accidents, they are still breaking the law and deserve everything they get.

Would you prefer a cop there when you are being mugged or for them to be out trying to catch out normal people that have slightly exceeded a speed limit?

Sheriff Fatman
Would you prefer a cop there when you are being mugged or for them to be out trying to catch out normal people that have slightly exceeded a speed limit?

Gatso cameras are not much use for catching muggers, so I don't see the point of your argument.

Though, if there was one, I would argue that more people are killed by speeding motorists than muggers so I reckon, yes the police should chase so called 'normal people' who think the law doesnt apply to them.

CompleteIdiot
Gatso cameras are not much use for catching muggers, so I don't see the point of your argument.

Though, if there was one, I would argue that more people are killed by speeding motorists than muggers so I reckon, yes the police should chase so called 'normal people' who think the law doesnt apply to them.

I was referring to the much more lucrative mobile vans.

The frequency of mugging isn't that high because it isn't a daily part of most people's lives. People drive or are driven somewhere practically every day.

It is not a question of preventing speeding. It is a question of fining people to produce a revenue stream. Parking, for example, is now decriminalised in Edinburgh because money can be made out of it. If not enough money is made, the parking restrictions are increased to catch more people out.

It's the same with speeding. Parts of the bypass had their speed limits reduced to 50mph and a van magically appears to catch people out.

Meanwhile, if you see a drunk motorist weaving around the M8 or M9 on the verge of calling a pile up, call the police and see what happens. No one will come. There's no money to be made out of it so the police don't have the staff to deal with it.

Call the police about a say a set of ladders that has come off a window cleaner's van on the bypass. You can wait 1/2 an hour to an hour or more. They simply don't care.

Call me old fashioned, I just think that drunks or ladders possibly causing major pile ups are more important than someone doing 58mph in an entirely artificial 50mph zone.

I was referring to the much more lucrative mobile vans.

I think L & B have two vans but dont quote me. I also think they are staffed by some non-police staff.

It is not a question of preventing speeding. It is a question of fining people to produce a revenue stream. Parking, for example, is now decriminalised in Edinburgh because money can be made out of it. If not enough money is made, the parking restrictions are increased to catch more people out.

I agree, parking is a revenue earner. They have even extended the zone to the police headquarters. More often than not there is no justifiable rationale behind apart from filling the city coffers. A congestion charge could raise its head again.

It's the same with speeding. Parts of the bypass had their speed limits reduced to 50mph and a van magically appears to catch people out.

Meanwhile, if you see a drunk motorist weaving around the M8 or M9 on the verge of calling a pile up, call the police and see what happens. No one will come. There's no money to be made out of it so the police don't have the staff to deal with it.

The police are duty bound to attend either on the road or the keepers address. They are not permitted to simply ignore it.

Call the police about a say a set of ladders that has come off a window cleaner's van on the bypass. You can wait 1/2 an hour to an hour or more. They simply don't care.

Do you have personal experience of this, I would be amazed if that were the case. Plus I think you will find the Highway patrol (Yellow Vans) would attend debris on the bypass or motorway, not the police.

Ray Winstone
I'm sorry officer, I couldn't see the speedo because I was lighting a smoke at the time. :mw_rolleyes:

On that point - I got pulled over in Aberdeen City centre by 2 plods on foot who saw me using my phone while stopped at a red light.

Luckily I got off with verbals but it got me thinking - If that warrants getting you pulled over and if your unlucky 3 points and a fine why is it that people are still allowed to smoke etc in their cars.

On that point - I got pulled over in Aberdeen City centre by 2 plods on foot who saw me using my phone while stopped at a red light.

Luckily I got off with verbals but it got me thinking - If that warrants getting you pulled over and if your unlucky 3 points and a fine why is it that people are still allowed to smoke etc in their cars.

I think smoking is now (or is soon to be) illegal whilst driving. Like everything else traffic related, the outcome is at the officer's discretion. I got a fine last week for "illegal" number plates and have heard of people simply being told to get them changed within a week. It's just your donald duck with the traffics sometimes. They are a bit like SFA refs :rolleyes:

I smoke and have been in the habit of smoking whilst driving since I passed my test 7 years ago. Of course there are circumstances where it could be dangerous or distracting, namely if someone is fidgeting for their lighter or perhaps if the head comes off and starts burning your groin or an unfamiliar ashtray location in a new vehicle etc.......BUT........I personally know where my ashtray is, only actually light up when stationary and still change gear etc whilst holding my fag so in many ways it is a lot, lot safer than using a mobile phone as, even with hands-free, holding a conversation can be very distracting.

Sat-nav should be a much bigger issue than it currently is. I'd say that using navigation can somewhat detach you from the driving experience to the point you're almost on autopilot. I had a hairy moment with my TomTom in Glasgow when, at a set of traffic lights tom said "turn right". I turned right, into oncoming traffic from the M8. Luckily I noticed straight away and did a swift U-turn. It turned out, as I passed the junction on the correct side of the road a couple of minutes later, that a "no entry" sign at the junction I wrongly turned into was turned to its side, probably by students or neds, so that it was not in view from the junction I turned from. All this said, I think I would have been more aware and observant had it not been for the sat-nav and avoided doing so off my own back.

I'll add my tuppenceworth on speeding....Like most laws, there is a time and place where it's close to acceptable to abuse it. This scenario is neither in my opinion. Read from that what you will..

The 6 points limit for the first 2 years is a bit harsh in my opinion. New drivers are much more likely to get points I would imagine as they will make mistakes, down to being new drivers.

But do become better drivers, so don't need their license taken off them because of a couple minor mistakes.

The 6 points limit for the first 2 years is a bit harsh in my opinion. New drivers are much more likely to get points I would imagine as they will make mistakes, down to being new drivers.

But do become better drivers, so don't need their license taken off them because of a couple minor mistakes.

Oooh, dunno about that one.

Surely new drivers would be more likely to remember whatever their instructor has taught them, it being more recent.

Experience does not necessarily improve driving skills - it can lead to the ingraining of bad habits.

I believe drivers should have to take refresher courses in order to maintain proof of their competency to drive - and ability to remain within speed limits, no matter how wrong they perceive them to be.

Miller Jambo 60

UOTE=Sheriff Fatman;158877]It must just be me then, but I do tend to find Doug's much vaunted hilarious contributions about as funny as catching a dose of syphilis.

WHY going out with funny women MA HA

Miller Jambo 60

TE=Sheriff Fatman;159752]Tough. If you want advice, sell your car. You should lose your licence and you should get fined.

Now away and play with your scalectrix set, ya boy racer. It's about the only cars you should be trusted with.

You are not in the police just a space cadet with a big chip.

Someone bump in to your bike HA HA

Archived