Speed Cameras...ADVICE!!!

lewis2006

I was heading through corstorphine to pick up my mate late last night and got flashed by one on the other side if the road.I was doing 50 in a 40.Will I get screwed for this??Worried because if i do get the points ill lose my licence.:mad:

I'm pretty sure they take no action with cars taken across the road rather than cameras in the direction of travel ...

Pete Seeger
sound,thats what my mates are telling me.hope to ****** they dont!!

Is it the one on the murrayfield side of Corstorphine? If so I've been through it a couple of times going the opposite way and been flashed and I've never heard anything about it.

You're safe...The Gatso fixed cameras cannot prosecute you if caught driving towards the unit, only away from it.

Paulandshark

Would it not be a wise move to stick to the speed limit if you are a few points away from losing your license?

Eye nay bother jack and victor...can just see you two the now.....crusing around in your Rover hatchbacks with your pringle jumpers and your slippers on!!

Take it youve both never broken the speed law???

Dr. Bapswent

22 years old and maxed out the points on your licence to the point of getting it taken off you.

Jeez.

get a grip.you only need 6 points in your first 2 years to lose your licence.If I was after a lecture on this I would have asked my mum.This place can be full of total [mod edit]s

Dr. Bapswent
get a grip.you only need 6 points in your first 2 years to lose your licence.If I was after a lecture on this I would have asked my mum.This place can be full of total g i m p s

Woah, calm down there Stirling..

I was just pointing out that that must be harsh.

Not making a judgment.

Try winding your neck in a bit and you might see that.

get a grip.you only need 6 points in your first 2 years to lose your licence.If I was after a lecture on this I would have asked my mum.This place can be full of total g i m p s

Well if you weren't speeding then you wouldn't be posting this thread would you??You won't get done for your 50mph sprint but count yourself lucky instead of having a go at people on here who are only giving you good advice.

Eye nay bother jack and victor...can just see you two the now.....crusing around in your Rover hatchbacks with your pringle jumpers and your slippers on!!

Seen as we are making assumptions, would I be correcting in thinking you probably driving a corsa or saxo, with a throbbing 1.0 or maybe 1.2 litre engine which will no doubt have a jumbo exhaust, which incidentally sounds like a normal exhaust that has seen better days, and drive in a half seated position so that your baseball cap, which will no doubt be sitting at a jaunty angle doesn?t rub of the roof lining of the car? :rolleyes:

Paulandshark

Seriously, I hope you do lose your license now, ****in ****

Let's no kid ourselves. Drivers are in 2 categeries. Those who speed & those who are caught speeding.

I've driven for about 15 years & never had an endorsement. Yes, I've broken the speed limit, though rarely in town.

The difference is, I wouldn't post a whining message on a forum worrying about it, I would take the punishment on the chin.

For the record, I drive 56 3 series BMW, not a Rover.

I was heading through corstorphine to pick up my mate late last night and got flashed by one on the other side if the road.I was doing 50 in a 40.

Is that not a 30 zone?

Gatso can't do you if you are traveling towards it, so you should here nothing.

As is said above - if its the standard GATSO (ie: when you see it on YOUR side of the road you see the red/yellow stripes on the back / when on the OTHER side you see the camera and flash itself) - IT CANNOT GET YOU.

I've been through the one at the op of Liberton Brae at a fair rate of knots in the wee small hours and have never had anything come of it.

If you're interested, there is two reasons for this...

1) The camera is not allowed to photograph you due to privacy laws (hence why you have to fill in a slip saying who was driving at the time)

2) The camera needs two pictures to convict you (by taking two half a second apart and using the lines on the road it proves you were speeding) and if you are heading towards it the chances are you are out of view for the second picture anyway.

BTW, if you time it carefully, you can really scare the ***** out of peeps on the other side of the road by setting it off!! :P :p

The 'privacy' issue is completely bizarre.

We have a Government which takes away civil liberties by the month and the most CCTV cameras per head of population than the world.

But the speed cameras are not allowed to 'take' the cars going toward them? Not sure I can believe that.

Is it not an issue that the flash might temporarily blind people driving towards the camera - if it is then why does the flash go off? All very strange.

I have a wee competition with myself setting the one off at Murrayfield as I'm going out of town, usually quite late at night. I find that doing between 45 and 50 usually does the trick and it is fun to watch the brake lights slamming on of people coming towards me in the rear view mirror!

I drove to Aberdeen and back yesterday and was sick of the number of times I had to slam on the anchors approaching a camera on that A90. I could quite easily have lost my license in one journey!

BTW, if you time it carefully, you can really scare the ***** out of peeps on the other side of the road by setting it off!! :P :p

Lol, have to admit to doing that everytime I pass one!!

Would it not be a wise move to stick to the speed limit if you are a few points away from losing your license?

Speeding in town is particularly bad IMHO. No need for it. :sad:

The 'privacy' issue is completely bizarre.

We have a Government which takes away civil liberties by the month and the most CCTV cameras per head of population than the world.

But the speed cameras are not allowed to 'take' the cars going toward them? Not sure I can believe that.

Is it not an issue that the flash might temporarily blind people driving towards the camera - if it is then why does the flash go off? All very strange.

Admittedly I may be wrong on this one.... It was definately the case a few years ago, but not too sure now. The flash issue they get around because its aimed at the ground essentially (for your numberplate) and not your face. And also - the glare of the flash from the windscreen can obscure identification - so they can't use it.

I may have the wrong end of the stick for this point admittedly!!!

car_photo_18874_7.jpg

:rolleyes:

Admittedly I may be wrong on this one.... It was definately the case a few years ago, but not too sure now. The flash issue they get around because its aimed at the ground essentially (for your numberplate) and not your face. And also - the glare of the flash from the windscreen can obscure identification - so they can't use it.

I may have the wrong end of the stick for this point admittedly!!!

It's not the case now as the Camera Vans that sit on bridges take a lovely set of pictures showing the driver clear as day. :sad:

If you do get caught by a police camera, hear how you get away with it, well this is how i avoided points + ?60 fine.

I was driving upto inverness a few years back for the hearts game, just when i was approching inverness, i got caught by a mobile police van doing 86mph on a 70mph road.

I got a letter through the door, telling me about it within a few days after, i had to send away "two parts" of my licence + a cheque for ?60 within the nxt "28 days".

I had lost my paper part, so i had to get a new 1 from DVLA, but the time i got my paper licene back from dvla then forward everything onto the camera unit the 28 days had expired, so they sent everything back saying it been declined & i will hear from the highlands courts shortly, well....that was over 2 years ago & i have heard nothing at all. I heard they have that much backlog & they must contact you within the first 6 months or it void. The worst they can give you is 3 pts + ?60 fine, so you have nothing to lose.

HAPPY DAYS

PeterCapital
If you do get caught by a police camera, hear how you get away with it, well this is how i avoided points + ?60 fine.

I was driving upto inverness a few years back for the hearts game, just when i was approching inverness, i got caught by a mobile police van doing 86mph on a 70mph road.

I got a letter through the door, telling me about it within a few days after, i had to send away "two parts" of my licence + a cheque for ?60 within the nxt "28 days".

I had lost my paper part, so i had to get a new 1 from DVLA, but the time i got my paper licene back from dvla then forward everything onto the camera unit the 28 days had expired, so they sent everything back saying it been declined & i will hear from the highlands courts shortly, well....that was over 2 years ago & i have heard nothing at all. I heard they have that much backlog & they must contact you within the first 6 months or it void. The worst they can give you is 3 pts + ?60 fine, so you have nothing to lose.

HAPPY DAYS

Or, man-up and take the fine on the chin. You broke the law and should pay for you're actions rather than trying to worm you're way out.

HAPPY DAYS

Not entirely correct I wouldn't think. The offer of ?60 and 3 points expired after the 28 days. If you end up in court you can be looking at a lot more than that depending on speed and the state of your licence...

Not the wisest piece of advice in the world to be honest...

I was going to pay the fine & get the points but i lost the paper part? so time i got a new 1 & sent it all away they sent it back. I wasn't trying to avoid paying for it.

Its wasn't my fault, they sld have got back in contact with me.

If you do go up in court, which is very unlikly, most they can give you is ?60 fine + 3 pts, can't give you even more, i checked up on it.

If you do go up in court, which is very unlikly, most they can give you is ?60 fine + 3 pts, can't give you even more, i checked up on it.

Only if there was a delay outwith your control, I'd presume, as in your case with the DVLA.

Or is your advice to everyone, just tell DVLA you've 'lost' the paper part of your licence?

Do The Dance
Not entirely correct I wouldn't think. The offer of ?60 and 3 points expired after the 28 days. If you end up in court you can be looking at a lot more than that depending on speed and the state of your licence...

Not the wisest piece of advice in the world to be honest...

Yep, you're right.

Only if there was a delay outwith your control, I'd presume, as in your case with the DVLA.

Or is your advice to everyone, just tell DVLA you've 'lost' the paper part of your licence?

It only my advice, it was outwith my control, but if i get caught again, i'll make sure i send everything away after 28 days. U's can do wot u like, i was only saying wot happened to me.

Am not a boy racer or that, am past that stage + need my licence for my work.

I can't imagine any1 losing there licence for doing "under" 100 mph on a motorway/by-pass unless they have 9pts or cause a accident.

As is said above - if its the standard GATSO (ie: when you see it on YOUR side of the road you see the red/yellow stripes on the back / when on the OTHER side you see the camera and flash itself) - IT CANNOT GET YOU.

I've been through the one at the op of Liberton Brae at a fair rate of knots in the wee small hours and have never had anything come of it.

If you're interested, there is two reasons for this...

1) The camera is not allowed to photograph you due to privacy laws (hence why you have to fill in a slip saying who was driving at the time)

2) The camera needs two pictures to convict you (by taking two half a second apart and using the lines on the road it proves you were speeding) and if you are heading towards it the chances are you are out of view for the second picture anyway.

My mate does that at Liberton.:laugh:

I've done similar but with those wee stick on security strips.

Stuck them inside my t-shirt and walked into stores as people were walking out. Was priceless.

Bindy Badgy

I used to enjoy revving my engine at boy racers that were next to me at junctions that I knew had cameras on them. More often than not they jumped the lights and got flashed:o

eighteen seventyfour

You can trigger the flash of the camera on the opposite side of the road but it doesnt capture you for speeding, done it a few times myself, so your safe this time.

eighteen seventyfour

Schoolkid ???

Can someone let me know how to change the schoolkid part in my profile, I didnt state that anywhere and unforunately I left school many moons ago.

Ta

I was heading through corstorphine to pick up my mate late last night and got flashed by one on the other side if the road.I was doing 50 in a 40.Will I get screwed for this??Worried because if i do get the points ill lose my licence.:mad:

You obviously haven't learned your lesson. Hope you get caught, lose your licence, ignore that probably, get caught driving whilst disqualified a couple of time and then jailed where you can't hurt anybody. Or haven't you read the papers this week about the 3 numpties jailed for causing deaths while speeding about.

Bindy Badgy
Schoolkid ???

Can someone let me know how to change the schoolkid part in my profile, I didnt state that anywhere and unforunately I left school many moons ago.

Ta

It'll change automatically when you reach a certain number of posts.

You obviously haven't learned your lesson. Hope you get caught, lose your licence, ignore that probably, get caught driving whilst disqualified a couple of time and then jailed where you can't hurt anybody. Or haven't you read the papers this week about the 3 numpties jailed for causing deaths while speeding about.

Easy to tell you're a copper mate.

eighteen seventyfour
It'll change automatically when you reach a certain number of posts.

Cheers Stokesy

Miller Jambo 60
Cheers Stokesy

If it was the Glasgow rd that is 40 from Maybury to Drumbrae.

It is 30 from Drumbrae to the town .

Doing 50 in a 30 is a bad one.

50 in a 40 possible chance of a conviction.

Me

04 Broomhouse 39 in a 30 3 points 60 fine

o7 Bypass 64 in a 50 3 points and 60 fine

Hope you get off mate we are being ripped off.

:107years::107years::107years::107years:

Sheriff Fatman
If it was the Glasgow rd that is 40 from Maybury to Drumbrae.

It is 30 from Drumbrae to the town .

Doing 50 in a 30 is a bad one.

50 in a 40 possible chance of a conviction.

Me

04 Broomhouse 39 in a 30 3 points 60 fine

o7 Bypass 64 in a 50 3 points and 60 fine

Hope you get off mate we are being ripped off.

:107years::107years::107years::107years:

I hope he gets done, speeding is an offence and those who bleat on about being shafted or 'speeding fines are just stealth taxes' are making excuses for breaking the law.

Miller Jambo 60
I hope he gets done, speeding is an offence and those who bleat on about being shafted or 'speeding fines are just stealth taxes' are making excuses for breaking the law.

CYCLIST END OFF. TRAIN SPOTTER :106Final::106Final::106Final:

Sheriff Fatman
CYCLIST END OFF. TRAIN SPOTTER :106Final::106Final::106Final:

Neither.

Is it just me that sees 'end off' in a post and thinks someone needs to go back to school.

Neither.

Is it just me that sees 'end off' in a post and thinks someone needs to go back to school.

Personally I thought it was hillarious.

'mon the Doug.

One day speeding will have the same stigma attached to it as drink driving now does. And quite rightly too!

In town there is no excuse.

Seen as we are making assumptions, would I be correcting in thinking you probably driving a corsa or saxo, with a throbbing 1.0 or maybe 1.2 litre engine which will no doubt have a jumbo exhaust, which incidentally sounds like a normal exhaust that has seen better days, and drive in a half seated position so that your baseball cap, which will no doubt be sitting at a jaunty angle doesn?t rub of the roof lining of the car? :rolleyes:

How arrogant can you be? Your ignorance is also astounding. Basically you're automatically assuming that, because he's sped along a road, and is 22, he's driving a 'Saxo or Corsa' and is a ned.

Unbelievable.

For the record, i'm 19 and i drive a Citroen Saxo VTR aswell, i have no points on my license and generally drive well. I have a standard exhaust and i drive at more than 30 MPH on the Zoo road, because it's an absolute farce that it's a 30MPH zone if you ask me, considering Glasgow Road's a 40. Fair enough at Roseburn, and on St J's Road, but it should be a 40MPH zone on the Zoo part, end of.

Sheriff Fatman
Personally I thought it was hillarious.

'mon the Doug.

It must just be me then, but I do tend to find Doug's much vaunted hilarious contributions about as funny as catching a dose of syphilis.

Archived