Ticket Prices

Guest Alex Guttenplan

Guest John Meurig Thomas

I was just wondering what people considered a reasonable price in this day and age for an SPL game, namely Hearts for obvious reasons. I especially would like to hear from those who currently can't afford to attend or just simply don't go because they object to the prices or something like that, and whether or not the new prices would honestly result in you attending more matches. I read on here recently that this is the best place to go for non-attending Jambos etc etc (let's get that shite joke out the way quickly).

In fairness, I think Hearts are doing quite well compared to other clubs. The U12s Season TIcket is a fantastic example, and yet I'm also all for the Platinum Zone because if people want to watch the match in comfort, or give more money to the club per year then they should have that option.

I'm more interested in those average price ranges - our so called Bronze/Silver/Gold sections - where there isn't really much between them in terms of viewing quality or match day experience, and what people think those prices should be and if these new prices would encourage you to attend more, therefore it might be worthwhile for Hearts to actually lower the prices slightly without losing revenue. To make the poll results a bit clearer to read you'll have to work with the assumption that this would be a flat rate, though.

I'd go for ?15/?5, and in addition I'd make it easier for people to just pay at the turnstyle on the day if they so wished (within a limit). I wouldn't attend more matches because I make most of them anyway and any that I don't manage isn't really due to cost, but I can imagine it would mark an increase in attendences. The number of times I've seen people convinced of coming to a match at the last minute would make it worth it. Over to you..

Going a wee bit further, if the authorities are adamant that we're not allowed to stand, I'd at least remove seat allocation for next season. That way people who buy season tickets can still be with their mates who can only attend irregularly for whatever reason. Would improve the atmosphere too.

I voted ?25/?10 and "nut".

?10 for a kid is sensible IMO and think that ?25 is fair enough for a game. Cost of ticket doesn't really come into thinking unless I am stoney broke. If I can afford to go to the football, the price of the ticket itself doesn't really concern me as long as you are talking ?5 to ?10 either way.

As one of the many Jambo living in England the price of the tickets doesn't really come into it , if I'm coming up for a match the ticket price is always a lot cheaper than the beer consumed and the travelling, if it was 50 quid a ticket I'd pay to watch The Famous :)

Got my ST, but I voted for what I thought they should be. ?15/10 is reasonable, double that for European games.

Guest juvehearts

?25 for a SPl match ticket is daylight robbery

its cheaper to fly over to germany & watch a game of unbiased football, drink beer & still come home with change the next day with ?100

for a day out, scottish football is too expensive

fact

juve

I voted ?25/?10 and "nut".

?10 for a kid is sensible IMO and think that ?25 is fair enough for a game. Cost of ticket doesn't really come into thinking unless I am stoney broke. If I can afford to go to the football, the price of the ticket itself doesn't really concern me as long as you are talking ?5 to ?10 either way.

And yet if you look at Germany, they would string up their club's Chairman if it got above ?12! They've done it right for me.

I cant afford games just now and for me it should be a max ?15/?10/?5. Even if I could afford it, I think that should be the cost. I reckon we could fill Tynie more by lowering prices and I dare say smaller teams could benefit too.

I also agree with the OP that schemes like the u-12 season ticket should be applauded. Thats some movement in the right direction.

I voted for ?10/?5. Football is way overpriced, especially for some of the dross on offer in the spl. Last week i got 2 adult and 1 u18 tickets for the derby on jan1. Cost:?74 plus booking fee. 20 years ago this game was a 30,000 sell out, i doubt 30k tickets would go at todays prices.

As one of the many Jambo living in England the price of the tickets doesn't really come into it , if I'm coming up for a match the ticket price is always a lot cheaper than the beer consumed and the travelling, if it was 50 quid a ticket I'd pay to watch The Famous :)

On the matter of england and 50 quid, I was watching fulham v man city yesterday in my house. I was on the hearts website looking at tickets for ibrox and out of curiousity I went onto the man city website to see how much a ticket was in the away end at craven cottage. Well, for an adult it was ?49 and a concession was ?22. I was very shocked at this though wondered if this is the norm in England?

Anyway back on topic I went for 25/10. This doesn't apply to me for home games as I have a season ticket though for away games think this is a reasonable price. For concessions who go to away games like my 15 year old son who doesn't have a source of income other than my pocket, a tenner is a good price. And I myself don't mind paying 25 quid or so to see us away from home.

Guest John Meurig Thomas

On the matter of england and 50 quid, I was watching fulham v man city yesterday in my house. I was on the hearts website looking at tickets for ibrox and out of curiousity I went onto the man city website to see how much a ticket was in the away end at craven cottage. Well, for an adult it was ?49 and a concession was ?22. I was very shocked at this though wondered if this is the norm in England?

Anyway back on topic I went for 25/10. This doesn't apply to me for home games as I have a season ticket though for away games think this is a reasonable price. For concessions who go to away games like my 15 year old son who doesn't have a source of income other than my pocket, a tenner is a good price. And I myself don't mind paying 25 quid or so to see us away from home.

United are getting charged ?54 a pop for Chelsea away.

Stopped off in Cowdenbeath on Saturday morning looking for a bank - parked in the Blue Brazils car park and noticed their prices above the turn styles were ?15 for an adult and ?8 for concessions :blink: .

Not up on first division teams and standard of play but that seems a hell of a lot of money. IMO makes our current prices seem very reasonable in comparison.

Guest juvehearts

greuther furth vs fsv frankfurt ticket prices....

the exceutive box was 21 euros, halfway line was 8 euro the rest was between 4-6 euro's

you could get a selection of beers & sausage(s) for a deal. 2.50 euro.

oh and btw you could stand, STAND at a football match!!

this is a team that was invented in 1996.

scottish hoofball is a joke compared to this

juve

I voted 15/10 and nut. Only because I'm down south and cant get to games anyway and if i could id have a ST.

15/10 is about right i reckon. The standard of football is good but not great and if people are paying 40 quid for shirts etc i think thats round about the right balance for what is basically 90 minutes entertainment. Put it into perspective, 15 quid for 90 minute entertainment isnt that bad. By all means charge more for derbies/european games but 15 quid to watch hearts v St mirren/Hamilton/Kilmarnock etc. is plenty IMO.

What a joke. Football is consuming itself.

I agree about your doubling prices for us in Europe btw. It doesn't happen that often so I reckon the club has a right to milk it (again, within a limit).

Arsenal's cheapest adult season ticket for 2010-11 cost ?893

That is just insane, you could get two STs in section D with the comfy seats for that, and still have money for beer and crisps.

Happy for the club to milk the European games, tbh. ?30+ is fair enough. I love the European nights, even more when it's at Tynecastle. Hopefully we can have another night like the one against Zagreb, although with a better final result, this year.

The People's Chimp

I'd go to more away games if tickets were cheaper. ?25 + travel costs + beer money on top of all the usual weekend meal out/beers/clubs costs is a bridge too far to be honest. It's made all the worse by either crappy home supports or more normally, a shocking away performance.

I do also think a cheaper ticket price plus pay at the gate would see an increase in those who might just fancy a game when they read the saturday morning papers etc. But then whether they would equal the drop in revenue from decreased prices is another question.

ToadKiller Dog

It would be great if match tickets could be ?15 but Spl teams couldnt survive at the current level with such a low price they are struggling as it is .

Most clubs dont have the scope for increased gates the regular fans just aint there except for cup finals ,Dundee Utd and Murderwell examples both had great seasons with no real up turn in gates . Murderwell also tried the cheap seats it had no effect .There are only maybe 3 clubs out side the Uglies at this time

with the scope of increased gates if challenging being us ,the sheep and Hobos . Price i dont think is that relevant for the 3 clubs either its about putting in a challenge in a fair league .

Improve the competition and the fans will come ,then look at the price , Germany works because it is well run and its about the fans and the competition and doest have nonsense like the old firm and the SFA .

While price comes into it, my personal reason for not going (not renewing mt ST) was the "product" on the pitch. There are very few games that excite me and even fewer where a decent level of football is played.

IMO What needs done is a basic improvement of the entire "match day experience" coupled with some realistic pricing (i.e. Improve the football or reduce the prices and look at reintroducing standing areas)

No game involving two sides in the SPL should be more than ?20 for the best seat in the house (excluding cup finals).

Cat A games should be ?20 max. Cat B games should be ?15 max.

When you consider the pish poor quality on offer for the majority of matches and compare it to the ?5 it'll cost you to watch a movie at the Odeon its a fecking disgrace what people are asked to pay in this country.

I don't think reducing prices would neccesarily make all that big a difference to attendances. The main bulk of fans will go regardless of the price. Halving prices would maybe add another 1 or 2 thousand to the gate so from a club point of view, you're better to charge 12k fans ?20 on average each than 14k fans ?10 each.

But yeah, the price of football in Scotland is totally overpriced for the garbage on show but I still go every week. What a mug!! It's such a shame that there are probably loads of kids out there who would love to go to a game but can't afford it and you see big empty spaces at games pretty much every week. I would like to see the club give away tickets to kids in homes etc than see them empty.

Nelly Terraces

Twenty nicker to watch Mudderhell v Herats on Sunday. Yer havin a giraffe. Be down the shanthouse havin a laugh with my mates instead. SPL football's worth about a tenner MAX. It's beyond gash.

I don't think reducing prices would neccesarily make all that big a difference to attendances. The main bulk of fans will go regardless of the price. Halving prices would maybe add another 1 or 2 thousand to the gate so from a club point of view, you're better to charge 12k fans ?20 on average each than 14k fans ?10 each.

But yeah, the price of football in Scotland is totally overpriced for the garbage on show but I still go every week. What a mug!! It's such a shame that there are probably loads of kids out there who would love to go to a game but can't afford it and you see big empty spaces at games pretty much every week. I would like to see the club give away tickets to kids in homes etc than see them empty.

Perhaps you're right, but the culture of folk attending football each week in Scotland is all but disappearing. We need to get full houses in the stadiums, which would no doubt inspire and improve the league.

I'd be perfectly happy for Hearts to get rid of some of the 'big-name' foreign players, reduce costs dramatically, while attempting to promote entertaining football. At the moent we are paying far too much for so little product.

In my opinion Tynecastle tickets should generally be around ?20 / ?10 but for the likes of the New Years Day game or a European game then ?25 might be acceptable for adults.

As far as the Arsenal (apparently they make ?1million from a home game now!) tickets at ?100 are concerned then clearly its a hell of a lot of money but I actually don't think it can be compared to our or the SPL situation for several reasons. Its the EPL, its a phenomonal stadium with incredible facilities (especially in the areas these seats will be), its London were everything entertainment wise is much more expensive and the target market are extremely well off and people will pay it. Also, does anyone have any knowledge of what it costs for the top tickets for sporting events in the US ? A hell of a lot more than ?100 that's for sure. I'm not defending the ticket cost but its a relevant and if there is a demand expect these organisations to take advantage.

Twenty nicker to watch Mudderhell v Herats on Sunday. Yer havin a giraffe. Be down the shanthouse havin a laugh with my mates instead. SPL football's worth about a tenner MAX. It's beyond gash.

It's true that it is not worth the money but if the prices were dropped to a tenner it would be worse as the better players would be off looking for more money elsewhere.

Perhaps you're right, but the culture of folk attending football each week in Scotland is all but disappearing. We need to get full houses in the stadiums, which would no doubt inspire and improve the league.

I'd be perfectly happy for Hearts to get rid of some of the 'big-name' foreign players, reduce costs dramatically, while attempting to promote entertaining football. At the moent we are paying far too much for so little product.

It will not just be the foreign players that will leave if we don't pay the wages.

Nelly Terraces

People just aren't willing to pay 20blabs to watch the pish on offer in the SPHell. Geezers like most of us on here will get season tickets no matter what, but you're not gonna get the casual (pardon the pun) fan gettin out his armchair/off his seat at the bar to go watch games at those prices, and I dont go to away games much now as their a total waste of money, been to all the same old dull crap atmosless gounds watching the same garbage teams for years and it's just tedious.

I believe if hearts have ome kind of Necter point scheme it would really boost people that go to matches without a season ticket. ( a walk up crowd i think its called)

For example, Say for every match you buy a ticket for you receive 1 point, once you have attended 3 matches and gained 3 points you get a free match ticket for the home game of your choice. Repeat the process.

IMO children up to the age of 16 should go free.

Also, Being a fan that travels through to edinburgh every other week for home games, it can be pretty expensive for travel, im pretty lucky I use a supporters bus that is relativly cheap but im sure there are other people that are put off by the cost of public transport. To possibly intice these punters in, Hearts could offer some kind of mileage scheme. For every mile a fan travels to the ground to watch he gaines a minuite of match time for free. For example if a fan is travelling 90+ miles he gets the match ticket for free, 45 miles and the cost of the ticket is half price. Obviously this Idea would require these people to register thier addresses on the hearts website so the distance between tynecastle and thier home could be calculated, but im sure that if someone coming from 100 miles away to watch a match then they would put a little bit extra effort in to ensure they are being rewarded for being so Loyal to the club.

Whats your thoughts?

Nelly Terraces

It's true that it is not worth the money but if the prices were dropped to a tenner it would be worse as the better players would be off looking for more money elsewhere.

Not my problem that mate, I don't go to away games and pay 20 quid to watch garbage. For what it's worth though, You can get into games in Germany for a tenner a shot.

portobellojambo1

I've not voted as I have a ST at Tynecastle and I go to all away games, which means I'm willing to pay the prices being charged at the moment (doesn't necessarily mean I think the prices are correct mind you).

I think maybe someone went over the danger of dropping prices now, and others have covered the main factor to be taken into account, the quality on offer.

As has been said the core support will continue to go at the present prices being charged. So what you then have to take into account is the price most people would like it to be, and whether or not you could attract sufficient bums onto seats to consider doing it.

Lowering the price isn't going to make the product on offer any better, in fact reducing club's income could make the product on offer even worse, and I'm not convinced sufficient would come along even if the top end price came down from say ?25 to ?15. It's a bit of a Catch22 situation for the clubs, and a gamble they are unlikely to consider in the present financial climate.

Guest John Meurig Thomas

If I was looking for value for money I'd have given up watching Hearts a long, long time ago.

This thread is less about money and more about getting people back to Tynecastle and getting the place active again.

Drylaw Hearts

This thread is less about money and more about getting people back to Tynecastle and getting the place active again.

This thread is about ticket prices.

That's money imo.

I don't care about the value for money as such I just enjoy supporting the team I love every week. No matter how bad hearts are in a season I always get a season ticket for the next one. That's why I've had a ST for over 30 years.

If I was looking for value for money I'd have given up watching Hearts a long, long time ago.

Indeed.

Asking me what price I'd ultimately be willing to pay to watch Hearts is like asking a junkie what he thinks a fair price is for his next bag of smack.

However, if you are asking from the point of view of attracting more people to games, I reckon the price is probably pretty inelastic. If you cut the average price to a tenner, or even a fiver, I am not convinced that you would see a huge increase in attendances over the medium or long term.

United are getting charged ?54 a pop for Chelsea away.

I suppose Chelsea will argue they can charge as muchas they want on the basis it will sell out?

On the other hand, Scottish crowds are dreadful and yet prices are going up all the time. I'm no economic genius but surely that is wrong.

People just aren't willing to pay 20blabs to watch the pish on offer in the SPHell. Geezers like most of us on here will get season tickets no matter what, but you're not gonna get the casual (pardon the pun) fan gettin out his armchair/off his seat at the bar to go watch games at those prices, and I dont go to away games much now as their a total waste of money, been to all the same old dull crap atmosless gounds watching the same garbage teams for years and it's just tedious.

Spot on, i'm afraid.

?20 to sit in Fir Park or feet up on the sofa with a nice cup of tea watching on the box?

The comment above hits the nail on the head. The demand for tickets is fairly inelastic and the clubs know it. If we, the fans, continue to be willing to pay the prices the clubs demand, and history shows that we are, then those prices won't be coming down. However I have to say that compared to prices on the Continent, we're being robbed.

mahgrassyshoes

Got a season ticket so it doesn't really affect me, but I voted for ?15/10 because i basically think the product in the SPL as awhole isn't that great at the minute. In saying that, if we keep up our form we will be worth the cost as it is. The other thing i would say is that when i'm at St Johnstone i always think ?20 is pretty good, so maybe people are so used to the prices now changing it wouldn't make much difference? Or maybe just taking a few pounds off might make a decent sized difference (althought the reduced ticket prices against Killie didn't really seem to prove that)?

Voted nut on the would it make me attend more as i've been to all home and away games for the last year and a half-2 years. Only voted on this bit because i had to and thought i'd add this wee note in case is skewed the results a bit.

?15/?10 :thumbsup:

Though i'd attend the same - i go as much as i can and take my kids to home games. Don't go to away games.

mahgrassyshoes

Arsenal's cheapest adult season ticket for 2010-11 cost ?893

That is just insane, you could get two STs in section D with the comfy seats for that, and still have money for beer and crisps.

Happy for the club to milk the European games, tbh. ?30+ is fair enough. I love the European nights, even more when it's at Tynecastle. Hopefully we can have another night like the one against Zagreb, although with a better final result, this year.

I can see where you were coming from, but i'm not sure i agree with that. Last year against Zagreb tickets for the away leg were ?6. I reckon their average attendance must be about 2 times the size of ours. Then it was about ?27 for the home leg. What must their fans be thinking when they come over here. An if their average attendance is only 2 maybe 3 times ours, how can they afford to pay ~9 million for a player?!

No game involving two sides in the SPL should be more than ?20 for the best seat in the house (excluding cup finals).

Cat A games should be ?20 max. Cat B games should be ?15 max.

When you consider the pish poor quality on offer for the majority of matches and compare it to the ?5 it'll cost you to watch a movie at the Odeon its a fecking disgrace what people are asked to pay in this country.

I think that's a good pricing scheme. Agree with the follow up comment too.

?20/?10 for me but any ticket price change just now wouldn't make me go.

i currently don't go because i don't have enough time to travel to and from the games. i've bought tickets for the d utd game in february at ?15 each which i think is very reasonable. i'd quite like to see cat A and cat B scrapped and see them level the ticket price out.

The cheapest seats for normal league games: Inter Milan - ?22, Barcelona - ?20, Bayern Munich - ?15, Hearts - ?18,68.

Good to know we're up there with the best!

It would be worth the club selling tickets for the less attractive SPL games at ?10/?5 for a couple of years to see what happens. Realistically, how many non-ST sales do they make for Hamilton or St. Mirren anyway? A thousand or two, at the most, I would guess.

The cheapest seats for normal league games: Inter Milan - ?22, Barcelona - ?20, Bayern Munich - ?15, Hearts - ?18,68.

Good to know we're up there with the best!

Those teams are cheaper than that. Barca are as little as 5 euro for the sky high seats. Makes a mockery of the high prices for crap football we have hear and we are treated like animals tae boot.

Tenner for adults and a fiver for kids and thats it. Charge away supports more and the OF fifty quid a ticket.

I'd say ?15/?10. Preferably ?10, but thats never going to happen.

I dont know if I qualify for an opinion though as I have a season ticket and travel to a lot of the away games.

It was very hard to part with ?20 at McDairmid though. :angry:

Germany definitely have nailed it when it comes to the treatment of fans. Even down the the fact that they have brought back special standing areas at grounds which I believe are even cheaper to get a ticket in.

As has been said above the price we pay for a match just now is robbery for the standard of football were watching. I believe that tickets for Newcastle V Blackburn were only ?25 the other week and that is for the English Premier League. Surely if they cut the price to ?15 or even ?10 for the smaller games it would encourage a lot more people to attend. I would rather have a rammed Tynecastle any day of the week than a half empty one like it is just now and surely the extra ticket sales would make up for the drop in price?

How much impact on a clubs finances do gate receipts actually have? I know down south its next to nothing with the amount of TV money they get, but do clubs in the SPL rely heavily on the gate receipts?

Hartleys_Jam_Tart

I would go for ?20/?10 although I go every week and only have to pay for myself so am prepared to pay what is charged. However, for a Dad/Mum to take their kids it is now far too expensive.

Archived